Tim Graham on TO

Mr. WEO

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comments by someone who actually has spoken to TO and covered him.

Poor, poor TO. No one understands him in the media (well, almost no one....).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...s-own-martyrdom

What I find most interesting about this whole TO hulabaloo is this:

Sunday night, I spoke face-to-face with a credentialed media member that was in the room during the interview (this individual and I worked together when I was with the AP 10 years ago, and we've been friends for much longer than that), and he told me to expect a bunch of backlash from the media in the coming days, because they all--and these are his words "seemed to be getting frustrated that TO wouldn't bad-mouth anyone directly".

His words and Tim's article are a stark contrast...interesting indeed.

What I find most interesting about this whole TO hulabaloo is this:

Sunday night, I spoke face-to-face with a credentialed media member that was in the room during the interview (this individual and I worked together when I was with the AP 10 years ago, and we've been friends for much longer than that), and he told me to expect a bunch of backlash from the media in the coming days, because they all--and these are his words "seemed to be getting frustrated that TO wouldn't bad-mouth anyone directly".

His words and Tim's article are a stark contrast...interesting indeed.

Backlash?

That's an interesting interpretation of Tim's article.

What I find interesting ablout the whole TO hulabaloo is that so many will ignore what TO has actually said over the years--as though these qoutes and events never happened or were made up by the media.

These are all the carefully created bits of "TO" that he has willfully put out there over the years to invent this "larger than life" persona. He can't be like the two guys ahead of him on the all-time great list: Rice and Harrison, both of whom were able to enjoy their great success without all the phony drama that TO cooks up.

The press "expects" TO to blow up because this is the script he has written for them. He has delivered on this same "reality show" for years. It's all phony---on both sides. It is entirely orchestrated and TO is in complete charge of this show, don't doubt it. Everyone plays there part and the public eats it up. It's very cynical, actually--but that's show biz!

So many people are caught up in it---it's fun/funny. It's entertainment. He is a great entertainer---but it's just an act, fellas. In fact this show has been in reruns for years now---why is Buffalo so uo in arms over this?

Sorry, but this is a bullcrap article, proven by this line:

"All those Billeivers who spent $80 on Owens jerseys deserve to hear from him, especially when he and supposed 1-2 punchmate Lee Evans have combined for 13 catches, 186 yards and two touchdowns. "

I'm sorry, but Lee Evans makes more than TO, as do some other players. The fans don't "deserve" to hear from any players or coaches. For the $80 they pluck down on the red white & blue laundry, game tickets, parking etc, the fans deserve a team that is committed to winning. If Tim Graham feels compelled to write an article on what Bills' fans deserve, the reporters should demand to have Ralph Wilson on that podium after every single game and ask him the same questions they asked Owens in the same tone.

Sorry, Tim, you're digging for a story where there isn't one. TO isn't the reason for the fans ire and your story confirms TO's views of the media, especially when Jerry Sullivan is your standard bearer. If he's going to take Owens to task, he should recognize that he's the Ronnie Jones of sports columnists.

OK article. My only problem is that he acknowledges other media members took "stories" like TO's Vick comments and blew them out of proportion; but then he goes on to pretend like the same thing wouldn't have happened had he elaborated on anything about the offense as Lee did.

Interesting comments by someone who actually has spoken to TO and covered him.

Poor, poor TO. No one understands him in the media (well, almost no one....).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...s-own-martyrdom

I cannot agree with TG on his assertion that the fans deserve to hear from him. Note the personality we are talking about here - he has at once been maligned and glorified in the press for his out-spoken nature in the past. He came here with a one year contract and I think is intentionally keeping a low profile for the length of that time. Perhaps he is tired of the media scrutiny (not saying he did not invite it upon himself) or maybe he is just making himself more marketable for his next contract. Whatever the case might be, he is taking the safe route by keeping his mouth mostly shut.

Besides a rationalization of why TO is choosing to be low key, I don't think any player 'owes' the fans an open window to his thoughts. That is just a fine line between wanting an honest answer and baiting. It will be more productive if he expresses his thoughts to DJ, AVP, Edwards etc but not to the media and fans.

Seriously, who here really cares what Owens has to say? And why does Tim say that we're obligated to hear it? Athletes should not have to worry about press conferences and how the media will interpret their comments. Its a silly game that's gotten out of hand in the last 20yrs, where players are obligated to speak with the media.

Backlash?

What I find interesting ablout the whole TO hulabaloo is that so many will ignore what TO has actually said over the years--as though these qoutes and events never happened or were made up by the media.

These are all the carefully created bits of "TO" that he has willfully put out there over the years to invent this "larger than life" persona. He can't be like the two guys ahead of him on the all-time great list: Rice and Harrison, both of whom were able to enjoy their great success without all the phony drama that TO cooks up.

The press "expects" TO to blow up because this is the script he has written for them. He has delivered on this same "reality show" for years. It's all phony---on both sides. It is entirely orchestrated and TO is in complete charge of this show, don't doubt it. Everyone plays there part and the public eats it up. It's very cynical, actually--but that's show biz!

So many people are caught up in it---it's fun/funny. It's entertainment. He is a great entertainer---but it's just an act, fellas. In fact this show has been in reruns for years now---why is Buffalo so uo in arms over this?

So what, Randy Moss was no different. In fact, he was a bigger media whore than TO was before he got to New England. Why does he get a pass? Because he plays for your beloved patriots*?

Seriously, who here really cares what Owens has to say? And why does Tim say that we're obligated to hear it? Athletes should not have to worry about press conferences and how the media will interpret their comments. Its a silly game that's gotten out of hand in the last 20yrs, where players are obligated to speak with the media.

Not me, that's for sure, I care that they win. That is all.

Backlash?

I don't recall labeling Tim's article as "backlash". In fact, if you read my post, I specifically mentioned that these were words from another AP guy, not mine.

As for the rest of your "it's just a show" stuff, well, that's your opinion.

not surprising that the press doesn't like it when a player like TO won't indulge them. Then they hide behind public demand for information. Frankly, I haven't heard a single Bills fan complain about TO not talking to the press after games, only sports journalists.

seriously how many other players can turn on ESPN 2 any weekday morning and watch their character be slandered for 5 minutes every hour? Skip Bayless has made a career off of bashing every single thing TO does or doesn't do.

the media seems to be wallowing in it's own martyrdom that they're being ignored.

To be fair, Graham mentioned Dungy's take, but didn't mention others (Martz, Mariucci) who did line up on the other side of the issue. However, I think the thrust of this is correct.

TO isn't a dumb guy or a media neophyte. He certainly could've chosen to take off the dark sunglasses and politely provide more responsive, yet still innocuous, answers to the questions. I'm not sure how a reporter couldn't at least ask about the elephant standing in the room - i.e. the (obvious?) underuse of TO and Evans.

Sorry Tim, you're dead wrong, and now you're the one who is doing the whining. If you guys want to ask T.O. questions about the game, then ask legit questions. Don't spend the press conference baiting him into tossing Trentative or Jauron or AVP under the bus. That interview session wasn't about questions, it was about prodding the bull in hopes of getting him to charge. It was unprofessional at best, childish at worst.

The Buffalo media and everyone in that room after the game embarrassed themselves with their line of questioning. This opinion is shared by just about every major non-ESPN sports entity. Now that the buffalo media was been called out on their bullcrap, they are trying to flip it and blame it all on T.O., in a last ditch effort to save face.

Many times T.O. brings the media firestorm on himself with his comments or actions, but sunday was most definitely not one of those situations. But hey, i guess you guys got what you wanted. Either he blew up, and you'd have a hell of a story, or he ignores you guys and now you trash him.

I love how the media (especially Sully) act like they are somehow sticking up for the fans. They hate the fans for the most part. (TG and JW two notable exceptions. I'd like to see Sully join this board if he is such a lover of the fans.) Next time they accuse T.O. of acting like a victim, they should take a good look in the mirror and consider their own behavior.

PTR

Interesting that Owens didn't seem to have a problem with the media when they were chronicling his every move during camp, when he invited JW along on his house-hunting expedition, etc. ...

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Plenty of room for, umm, discussion on this one. By all means, feel free to disagree with the piece. All I'll ask is that you not create work for the moderators by descending to the "your a #### idiot" level -- for that, you can head over to Tim's blog -- and I appreciate the fact that the previous comments in this thread have not done so.

I'm actually on TO's side on this one which I can't believe. The guy is at least making the effort to be a class act and the media is faulting him for it as if they're trying to justify the money spent covering him (which we all know half the reporters wouldn't be covering the Bills if not for TO)

I don't care if TO or any of the Bills talk to or criticize the media...I just want them to play ball and win. I would kill for TO to blow up in that locker room right now...Lord knows the last 4 years of no pulse like our HC has gotten us nowhere.