Well this certainly changes things

I don't disagree with any of that, but you said you'd just like to see them bring in 1 or 2 quality players each year rather than the usual bums (I'm paraphrasing). So, I pointed out that they've done exactly that each of the last 2 years.

Mitchell was an upgrade, and he signed a relatively modest contract as well. Stroud has been the DT they felt wasn't needed from 06-07 when Buffalo thought they could get by without big mean DT's. It was a good move.

I'm of the opinion that building a team must be done on the OL and DL after having the QB. The Bills have spent 11 of their 13 picks in rounds 1-4 of the 06, 07, and 08 drafts on skill positions. Stroud was a good trade, but they still have issues rushing the passer. And now we've seen the OL get blown up for the second time in a few years.

I hope Bell works, but that's all it is: hope.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You've been backing up the front office for quite some time now. My point remains that the Bills traded Peters and intended to replace him with LW at almost the outset of the off-season. Now they're changing again. This is not merely about depth chart and making cosmetic changes. We're talking about starting a second guy at the most important OLine position in four months.

How many teams change their starting LT out of camp? Not many teams do. Bumping a guy up at WR or LB is one thing. Potentially changing your LT to a guy who hasn't started an NFL game is another. This is, if it happens, major stuff.

If Bell starts and Walker is benched or outright released, that's 14 failed FA's fro 2006-2007. That's how I know the front office is bad.

If the LT position blows up this year, our QB position blows up with it - and this would set the franchise back for years. If the LT position sinks, many front office heads will (and must) roll. What a debacle.

Mitchell was an upgrade, and he signed a relatively modest contract as well. Stroud has been the DT they felt wasn't needed from 06-07 when Buffalo thought they could get by without big mean DT's. It was a good move.

I'm of the opinion that building a team must be done on the OL and DL after having the QB. The Bills have spent 11 of their 13 picks in rounds 1-4 of the 06, 07, and 08 drafts on skill positions. Stroud was a good trade, but they still have issues rushing the passer. And now we've seen the OL get blown up for the second time in a few years.

Man, you really are incapable of conceding ANY point with respect to the Bills front office. I don't claim they're good (or even average), but 3 of the top 4 picks this year were on the lines, and Dan directly addressed your comments about the "quantity over quality" FA acquisitions.

It's okay to be critical, but it's not okay to be so stubborn it's no longer any use to engage you in discussion.

hasn't wood been playing right guard. would that be a difficult transition

It would be harder to go from LG to RG but it would be a bit of a transition. My concern is having two rookies left of center.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't disagree with any of that, but you said you'd just like to see them bring in 1 or 2 quality players each year rather than the usual bums (I'm paraphrasing). So, I pointed out that they've done exactly that each of the last 2 years.

Owens was a brilliant marketing move. He is also a Hall-of-Fame caliber talent when he wants to be. But, the Bills only rented him for 1 year. I'm not sure we can really say this was a team building sort of signing because of that and I'm really setting aside the guy's other baggage.

PS: Technically, Stroud was not a free agent signing.

My questions are:

1.) Is this move indicitive of Bell's good play?

2.) Is this move indicitive of Walker's poor play at LT?

3.) Is this move indicitive of Butler's poor play at RT?

4.) Is this move indicitive of Levitre not being ready?

My hunch, from just the little I've observed so far, is that Butler is struggling more at RT than Walker at LT and Levitre still has a problem playing too high. So I'd say it's a combo of questions four and five. Hmm.

GO BILLS!!!

My questions are:

1.) Is this move indicitive of Bell's good play?

2.) Is this move indicitive of Walker's poor play at LT?

3.) Is this move indicitive of Butler's poor play at RT?

4.) Is this move indicitive of Levitre not being ready?

My hunch, from just the little I've observed so far, is that Butler is struggling more at RT than Walker at LT and Levitre still has a problem playing too high. So I'd say it's a combo of questions four and five. Hmm.

GO BILLS!!!

Does it mater if this gives us the best chance of winning. I understand that a lot of people here want a line that has been together for a long time. I applaud the coaches if they make this move.

Does it mater if this gives us the best chance of winning. I understand that a lot of people here want a line that has been together for a long time. I applaud the coaches if they make this move.

Agree 100%. Whatever it takes to get the five best out there, I'm all for it.

I'll have the answers to my questions regardless in a couple weeks.

GO BILLS!!!

And if it works out, I will be glad they made the change in pre-season rather than half way into the regular season. I would like to see the coaches be a bit more aggressive about allowing good performers to start no matter what their tenure in the league is. As an example, if Nic Harris outplays Ellison, put the rook in and don't be scared of the learning pains he will go through.

Sigh, oh the implications...

Commence, TSW

The Bills are always shuffling the line, Chambers should be starting over Levitre, he is a better player now,

If Walker is a no go at Left Tackle, then Shift him back to Right.

Bell, Wood, Hangartner, Butler, Walker

Levitre and Chambers play a series or two here and there each game.

Owens was a brilliant marketing move. He is also a Hall-of-Fame caliber talent when he wants to be. But, the Bills only rented him for 1 year. I'm not sure we can really say this was a team building sort of signing because of that and I'm really setting aside the guy's other baggage.

Essenitall we paid 6.5 million for Owens as a make good to fans for keeping DJ.

So DJ is costing us 2 million plus 6.5 million this year, less the value of whatever good Owens does. us (which may be considerable).

Still, may have been cheaper to rid the NFL of this idiot from the ivy league and eat that contract.

Again, I don't really dispute any of that. However, as eball stated, "3 of the top 4 picks this year were on the lines". In the last 2 years, the FO has brought in a couple of quality players AND drafted for the lines. So perhaps Brandon is starting to get it?

To simply write Owens' acquisition off as a marketing move is to ignore the fact that the FO was actively seeking a FA WR long before Owens was released. So, obviously the move was not all about marketing. Perhaps its a nice side effect, but by no means was the genesis of the idea for bringing him here.

And, yes, I agree Stroud was not a FA; but the results are the same. Whether the FO makes a trade for a player or signs a FA (restricted or unrestricted) the end result is the same - they sought out and acquired players from somewhere else. So, I agree, Stroud shouldn't count in the strictest sense as FA signing, but I still think the FO should get some credit for bringing in a good player to help the team.

If Levitre is going to be back in the starting line up, I don't understand why remove him from the lineup in the first place...Why not just go ahead and move Hangatner to LG and move Butler back to RG...That way at least when Levitre gets his starting jig, then Hangatner goes to the bench...

However all these don't make sense...One must give Hangatner the chance to start as the Center before pulling the plug. They have spent the entire off season with this line up and it would be foolhardy to play with this.....

If bell is better than Walker, then Walker just goes to the Bench.......Period....Don't mess up with the continuity on the line again...

While this post makes sense, one would have to evaluate Walker and Butler.

Imo, Walker is not quick, and is even a tad soft for someone his size. In other words he looks like a bruising RT, but he isn't imo.

Butler had some good games at RG. He however isn't especially quick, and is often either out with injuries or playing hurt (or so it looks).

Of the 2 at RT, Walker would seem to be the safer bet at this point. Too bad Jauron can't motivate him to lose a few pounds and maybe even get quicker and stronger. I have an idea.....he could work out more instead of doing that stupid video while the team is losing!

I like the interior as it stands. We don't know exactly how Levitre will turn out, but there is every chance he will develop into a better guard than Butler is/was. Wood looks like exactly the bruiser that a cold weather franchise needs at RG. I don't know enough about the Center to post an opinion, but I've heard enough good things about him from people I trust to think that he deserves a shot.

As for Bell, this is a very strange situation. His strength is his mobility, so LT would seem to be what he is suited for, providing of course he is strong enough, or if he can even play at all. But, putting him on the right ala Peters would seem to be a waste of time. He seems like a feast or famine at LT. In other words, he is a huge risk.

Overall, I agree with posters who suspect that this is a "desperation move." That doesn't make it a bad move mind you; it might even be a great move. What is evident to me is that Walker is not at all suited to play LT, and the coaches know it. Not the roughest call in the world to make either. :ph34r:

While this post makes sense, one would have to evaluate Walker and Butler.

Imo, Walker is not quick, and is even a tad soft for someone his size. In other words he looks like a bruising RT, but he isn't imo.

Butler had some good games at RG. He however isn't especially quick, and is often either out with injuries or playing hurt (or so it looks).

Of the 2 at RT, Walker would seem to be the safer bet at this point. Too bad Jauron can't motivate him to lose a few pounds and maybe even get quicker and stronger. I have an idea.....he could work out more instead of doing that stupid video while the team is losing!

I like the interior as it stands. We don't know exactly how Levitre will turn out, but there is every chance he will develop into a better guard than Butler is/was. Wood looks like exactly the bruiser that a cold weather franchise needs at RG. I don't know enough about the Center to post an opinion, but I've heard enough good things about him from people I trust to think that he deserves a shot.

As for Bell, this is a very strange situation. His strength is his mobility, so LT would seem to be what he is suited for, providing of course he is strong enough, or if he can even play at all. But, putting him on the right ala Peters would seem to be a waste of time. He seems like a feast or famine at LT. In other words, he is a huge risk.

Overall, I agree with posters who suspect that this is a "desperation move." That doesn't make it a bad move mind you; it might even be a great move. What is evident to me is that Walker is not at all suited to play LT, and the coaches know it. Not the roughest call in the world to make either. :ph34r:

We shouldput Bell at LT in preperation for a post DJ world. THe new regime will have guidance whether or not he is the future LT.

LW is better suited at RT and anyway is stop-gap at LT, it does not make sense.

Man, you really are incapable of conceding ANY point with respect to the Bills front office. I don't claim they're good (or even average), but 3 of the top 4 picks this year were on the lines, and Dan directly addressed your comments about the "quantity over quality" FA acquisitions.

It's okay to be critical, but it's not okay to be so stubborn it's no longer any use to engage you in discussion.

This actually happened last year, yet the discussions go on.

I can't be the only one who's perfectly happy with Langston Walker. A quality RT is well worth $5M a year.

At RT, I too am happy with Langston. The problem is that now we have a log-jam at RT, and maybe nobody at LT. We thought Oher was an RT, which is why we didn't draft him, IMHO. And count me among those who thought about Langston when I read that recent article about not running draws or screens the past few years because we didn't have OLs mobile enough to handle it. The problem is that I also thought about Butler, who isn't a twinkletoes himself.

If LT is a train-wreck this year, the Peters trade will look even worse. If Bell can handle the spot at a fairly high level, the Peters trade will look much better.

You've been backing up the front office for quite some time now. My point remains that the Bills traded Peters and intended to replace him with LW at almost the outset of the off-season. Now they're changing again. This is not merely about depth chart and making cosmetic changes. We're talking about starting a second guy at the most important OLine position in four months.

How many teams change their starting LT out of camp? Not many teams do. Bumping a guy up at WR or LB is one thing. Potentially changing your LT to a guy who hasn't started an NFL game is another. This is, if it happens, major stuff.

If Bell starts and Walker is benched or outright released, that's 14 failed FA's fro 2006-2007. That's how I know the front office is bad.

How many teams change WR's, QB's, RB's and every other position each year? Since LT isn't a glamour position you don't hear about the moves as much. They have no impact on FF so they are rarely reported in the national media. JMO

This sort of nonsense:

1. Dockery-49M over 7 seasons.

2. Walker-25M over 5

3. Tripplett-18.5M over 5

4. Royal-12.5M over 5

5. P. Price-10M over 4

6. Fowler-7M over 3

7. Reyes-5M over 2

8. Kiwaukee Thomas

9. Matt Bowen

10. Anthony Thomas

11. Craig Nall

12. Andre Davis

13. Jason Webster

14. Jason Whittle

130M in contracts over 2 seasons. Granted not all of that was paid, but these UFA signings are typical of this front office: quantity over qualitiy. I don't expect them sign a marquee UFA each season, but wouldn't it be better to sign one or two solid UFA's then a bunch of bad ones?

The first five you list have pretty big contracts so your argument about quantity over quality seems a little weak. They've made mistakes nobody is saying they haven't. I think some of us disagree with your they can never do anything right approach. If it bothers you so much there are plenty of other teams that "don't do that sort of nonsense".

Last year: Stroud and Mitchel brought in.

This year: Owens and Rhodes brought in.

Shhhh! You're ruining this thread with facts!! :rolleyes:

Shhhh! You're ruining this thread with facts!! :rolleyes:

Again, I don't really dispute any of that. However, as eball stated, "3 of the top 4 picks this year were on the lines". In the last 2 years, the FO has brought in a couple of quality players AND drafted for the lines. So perhaps Brandon is starting to get it?

To simply write Owens' acquisition off as a marketing move is to ignore the fact that the FO was actively seeking a FA WR long before Owens was released. So, obviously the move was not all about marketing. Perhaps its a nice side effect, but by no means was the genesis of the idea for bringing him here.

And, yes, I agree Stroud was not a FA; but the results are the same. Whether the FO makes a trade for a player or signs a FA (restricted or unrestricted) the end result is the same - they sought out and acquired players from somewhere else. So, I agree, Stroud shouldn't count in the strictest sense as FA signing, but I still think the FO should get some credit for bringing in a good player to help the team.

Shhhh! You're ruining this thread with facts!! :w00t: