Well this certainly changes things

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a stupid choice for the coaches to name the starting line as early as they did. I've watched Bell in the preseason and liked what I saw. I would have no problem with Bell starting at LT and Walker going back to RT.

Very interesting revelation, indeed. Wouldn't you know it, Bell gets injured and slows his progress. You have to wonder how much that will impact the situation.

The big problem here was putting Wood at RG to begin with. If you put Bell in at LT, it only makes sense to put Walker back to RT. But, then do you shift everyone around.. Butler back to RG, Wood to LG? Or do you leave Wood at RG and take the better of Levitre or Butler at LG?

I'm not sure how tough it would be for Wood to switch from RG to LG, but I'd think it's preferable to not switch the guy around every other month. So, does it just leave Butler out in the cold?

I think the best line we could put out there has Walker at RT and Butler at RG. Problem is, does this shifting around cause more problems, or because this is where they previously played it wouldn't be a problem at all? Also, this would mean moving a rookie, Wood, to LG where he hasn't played at all. Might just be too much shuffling around

Very interesting revelation, indeed. Wouldn't you know it, Bell gets injured and slows his progress. You have to wonder how much that will impact the situation.

The big problem here was putting Wood at RG to begin with. If you put Bell in at LT, it only makes sense to put Walker back to RT. But, then do you shift everyone around.. Butler back to RG, Wood to LG? Or do you leave Wood at RG and take the better of Levitre or Butler at LG?

I'm not sure how tough it would be for Wood to switch from RG to LG, but I'd think it's preferable to not switch the guy around every other month. So, does it just leave Butler out in the cold?

wow, you must have posted that while I was writing up mine. wondering the same exact thing. don't know whats better

Sigh, oh the implications...

Commence, TSW

I went to two training camps and watched some of the blocking drills. There was a #77 out there who kept getting manhandled by every lineman who he went against. I kept thinking "that guy's definitely going to get cut". I guess that I must have missed something if the staff thinks he can be a starting LT. Edwards better take out some more injury insurance. :ph34r:

wow, you must have posted that while I was writing up mine. wondering the same exact thing. don't know whats better

Hah :ph34r: beat ya by 30 seconds!

But, yeah, that's my wonder. If you mover Walker back to LT and Butler back to RG; then that puts Wood at LG. But, I'm not sure you want to do that to a rookie that been learning the RG spot all summer. I'd be inclined to move Walker over and have Butler the odd man out. Of course, this all assumes Bell is able to get healthy quick and continue to impress whoever it is that he's impressing.

When I formed my first opinion of the line way back when.......I really thought that Butler was the odd man out.....basically Bell, Levitre, Hangman, Wood, L. Walker

BUT...Levitre is now showing the nastiness that he two was supposed to have just yet and that is ok because differnet players take time.....but at this point I would like to see Bell, Butler, Hangman, Wood, L. Walker........

I am not down on L. Walker and def dont want to take him off the field....he was GOOD at Right Tackle

Yes, Butler replaces Levitre, and ultimately (but probably not soon) Levitre replaces Handy and we line up: Bell, Levitre, Wood, Butler, Walker, in a perfect world.

I've heard that center is a very difficult position for a rookie to take over. Wood seems like he might be able to do it though. Why you'd put Hangartner on the bench is mystifying. I'd go for (Bell, Hangartner, Wood, Butler, Walker)

What worries me is that back problems can become chronic for a player and here's knocking on wood it doesn't continue. (No obvious knocking wood jokes. :ph34r: )

Couldn't help but notice Bell played LT in GB for a series or two. Thing is, if he becomes the starter and displaces other players, how much does that speak of the front office for saying LW would be the starting LT? Makes me wonder who's judging the roster from the front office, especially considering they figured LW would be the starter and now that could be changing.

So you've never seen depth changes on any other teams? That's what camp is for. Guys the coaches may not think are ready will come along much faster than expected. The Bills are not the only team to change their depth chart after camp and those other teams don't have bad "roster watchers" :thumbsup:

I went to two training camps and watched some of the blocking drills. There was a #77 out there who kept getting manhandled by every lineman who he went against. I kept thinking "that guy's definitely going to get cut". I guess that I must have missed something if the staff thinks he can be a starting LT. Edwards better take out some more injury insurance. :ph34r:

Yet he keeps playing decently in the games......

Not to get ahead of ourselves here, but if that works out, it would be the second time this Front Office found a starting-caliber LT off of the scrap heap. For all that they suck at (and there is plenty), would have to give them serious props if this pans out...

You are getting ahead of yourself. Way ahead. Peters was (and might be again) a dominant player.

Bell may get a starting LT job by default because the guy that the front office felt good about and chose for the job can't hack it and can't even fake like he can hack it halfway through pre-season.

IMO it goes without saying that if Bell is inserted at LT then Walker will start at RT and will not go to the bench. The fact that the Bills coaches are not happy with Walker's performance at LT is their own damn fault, he barely has a chance playing there, and doesn't want to play there, and for good reason: he's going to get embarrassed.

Wow. This is sad that a project tackle like Bell would actually perform better than the tackle manning the most critical lineman position on the Bills. It really goes to show you how much of a risk this has been....and how silly it was to think that a middle of the road, 368 lb RT could hold his own against some of the quickest and deadliest players opposing defenses have to offer.

Many folks are going to be happy because they are looking for the next Jason Peters talent. I honestly don't think this is a sign of how good Bell is, but rather a sign of how bad of a fit alker is for the position.

I can only shake my head.