Official Trent Edwards Excuse Thread...

Alphadawg7

Trentative Checkwards is pretty clever, too. Hmmm...We'll probably be just shortening it to Trentative anyway as time goes on, so I guess the last name isn't as important. Great stuff either way, though!

I don't like Checkwards. Sounds too much like Squidward.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
What difference? They both suck.

Are you referring to Turk's "World's Slowest No Huddle" Offense? Yeah, our starters are lighting it up under that!

I think a majority of people here fell in love with Trent Edwards simply because he was NOT JP Losman. I think there were only a few of us last year who felt NEITHER QB was the long term answer for the Bills. I'd love to be proved wrong by Trentative...

Good grief, its preseason, what a bunch of cry babies. :o

I hope everyone remembers how you guys run our starting QB into the ground, because I'm damn sure going to remind all of you later on in the season you can bet on it.

I hope everyone remembers how you guys run our starting QB into the ground, because I'm damn sure going to remind all of you later on in the season you can bet on it.

I hope you do, because that will mean that Trent has developed into the QB we're all hoping can get us into a playoff spot.

...also, let it go with the "good grief, it's just preseason" line. This team hasn't looked good since Week 7 of last year and have a monumental test in a nationally-televised game against the Pats and so far COLLECTIVELY look worse than they did last year. Some of us Bills fans are just getting tired of looking stupid in front of all the NFL's viewership.

That's not a bad excuse

"Are you gonna huff, and puff and blow our houses down too?"

Regards,

The 3 little pigs

Guest dog14787
I hope you do, because that will mean that Trent has developed into the QB we're all hoping can get us into a playoff spot.

...also, let it go with the "good grief, it's just preseason" line. This team hasn't looked good since Week 7 of last year and have a monumental test in a nationally-televised game against the Pats and so far COLLECTIVELY look worse than they did last year. Some of us Bills fans are just getting tired of looking stupid in front of all the NFL's viewership.

You want to run our starting QB into the ground then go for it buddy.

You want to run our starting QB into the ground then go for it buddy.

I don't need to...with our flimsy O-line in combination with Trent's need to hold onto the ball until the exact moment a receiver is wide open, I'm sure he'll be run into the ground plenty enough by the defensive ends of every team the Bills face this year.

Some of us aren't "running Trent into the ground" but unobjectively trying to point out areas of his game that he needs serious improvement in. You're such an unabashed homer, you've already finished his bust for Canton.

I believe Trent's got a lot to work on his game. He hasn't shown any improvements from the problems he had last season so far in the preseason and that's why I, and many others, are concerned about his game.

Dog, we should have known this was going to be a BS thread just based on the fact that Alphadawg started it. His posts are always...well laughable. Guess what nubs - no QB is a good QB with a bad o-line. Just look what happened to "the greatest offense ever" when the Giants d-line put Brady on his a$$ consistently. This isn't even a legitimate debate.

Also, Lee Evans is not the awesome receiver you guys want him to be. It isn't an issue of stats - it is an issue of Lee can't beat double coverage and Josh Reed/all other Bills receivers before TO can't beat single coverage = no place to throw the ball = checkdown/sack. It's not even close to the most complicated dynamic to understand in football but if you can't grasp this relatively simple idea then you are in fact hopeless and shouldn't voice your opinion unless you don't mind being flagrantly and consistently rebuked.

The problem is, as I have stated frequently, the Bills ARE NOT GOOD. We don't have competitive talent, therefore no QB, coach, punt returner, janitorial engineer or paraplegic genius is going to change that. Just let it sink in. We aren't good. Sometimes the truth hurts. Trent Edwards would likely dominate the Earth sitting behind the Patriots line. But it really is pretty absurd to expect him to throw the ball deep down the field into blanketing coverage to receivers who lack the size and physical ability to go up and force the issue against defensive backs in the two-three seconds per play he has to make a decision.

Having T.O. in the mix changes everything. All of a sudden, you can't double team Lee Evans, and Lee *is* good enough to make you pay for single coverage. All of a sudden we have a guy who can go over the middle to catch passes and make you pay for blitzing. The entire dynamic of the Bills offense changes with T.O. in the game. Our o-line is suspect still, but in any game where they can provide at least adequate protection, you have to think most teams are going to have problems matching up. If you can't watch Trent play and see his obviously superior vision and poise, and see that he makes the *best* decisions possible a vast majority of the time, then why even bother trying to articulate a meaningful criticism of his play?

Honestly, I believe I fell for Edwards just because he LOOKED so much better than JP in his pocket presence. He's regressed it appears with the same scrambling around and not guarding the ball. UGH!

Losman made Edwards look better than he is. Teams have caught on to make Edwards beat them down the field. Unless he makes teams pay for doing it, it's gonna be another long and boring season.

Losman made Edwards look better than he is. Teams have caught on to make Edwards beat them down the field. Unless he makes teams pay for doing it, it's gonna be another long and boring season.

Teams realized you could double team Lee Evans and there was nothing the Bills could do to mitigate that fact because we did not have anything even close to a legitimate #2 threat. Without consistent blocking, Trent doesn't have time to wait for someone to beat their coverage, even on the rare occasion that it happens, it is quite likely he will have been pressured into throwing too soon.

:o

I don't need to...with our flimsy O-line in combination with Trent's need to hold onto the ball until the exact moment a receiver is wide open, I'm sure he'll be run into the ground plenty enough by the defensive ends of every team the Bills face this year.

Some of us aren't "running Trent into the ground" but unobjectively trying to point out areas of his game that he needs serious improvement in. You're such an unabashed homer, you've already finished his bust for Canton.

I believe Trent's got a lot to work on his game. He hasn't shown any improvements from the problems he had last season so far in the preseason and that's why I, and many others, are concerned about his game.

So, you are trying to be illogical? Using bias? Unfair? You willing to admit to that? :lol:

Teams realized you could double team Lee Evans and there was nothing the Bills could do to mitigate that fact because we did not have anything even close to a legitimate #2 threat. Without consistent blocking, Trent doesn't have time to wait for someone to beat their coverage, even on the rare occasion that it happens, it is quite likely he will have been pressured into throwing too soon.

this sounds strikingly similar to what people were saying a few years ago with the other quarterback that was in buffalo.

5. And the most recent and my favorite...Lee Evans isnt good enough

I assume you refer to my post and you missed the point entirely. No need to expand as others can read it for themselves. I will just say that the combination of Evans and Parrish is in no way good enough. My primary issue is and remains with Parrish. The guy just is not a #2 NFL receiver and IMO is at best a #4 in the receiver role. Read the thread.

As for TE's play I have never made excuses for him and never will. However, if there are only two WR's running downfield routes - one who does not play over the middle (and opposing d - coordinators know that all you need to do is roll a safety over him to shut him down) and the other who does not play worth a damn at all then it is pretty hard to be an effective QB.

Now just so you hear it from me directly - I still believe that Evans is not a true #1 receiver. He is very good and I am glad the Bills resigned him last year. However his game is largely one dimensional. He has never proven that he can take a game over. Hell even Eric Moulds who was largely the beneficiary of horrible quarterbacking nearly his entire career could run all of the routes and at times had the ability to dictate to defenses. Evans can dictate speed along the sidelines. His game is otherwise very limited.

The funniest thing on this board that I have seen time and time again is the growing list of threads making another excuse for Trent Christ to explain his frequent below average play. For every one good game he has 4 bad games (literally), but the excuse makers hold on to the one good game as "the real Trent" and make excuses and blame others for his bad games. So, rather than have dozens of threads making excuses for him, here is a chance to list em all. This way when he has a bad game we can all just come to this thread and find out who's fault it really was...lmao

To get you started, here are some popular ones, including the most recent I saw that inspired this thread...

1. Turk

2. DJ

3. Gameday Preperation

4. Jason Peters Holdout

5. And the most recent and my favorite...Lee Evans isnt good enough

I could easily list another dozen, but will let others...

I am just wondering when everyone is going to stop blaming everyone else for his struggles and realize the kid hasnt put it together yet and he is still a stuggling young QB. Hopefully he gets there, our season depends on it, but I havent seen anything in the Preseason that suggests he has improved on his worst attribute which is reading the defense. He doesnt see coverages well or fast enough causing him to make throws late (when going downfield), not see open recievers, check down too often, and hold the ball too long leading to bad sacks and lots of fumbles.

How about the fact he plays on one of the worst teams in the league