Official Trent Edwards Excuse Thread...

Alphadawg7

It took Jim Kelly 32 starts to equal Trent Edwards win totals at 14 wins with 23 starts. I made some mistakes with my previous information, but my point was still made,.Trent Edwards is off to a very good start in my opinion, especially when you consider the supporting cast and coaching staff.

Man, you and Magox should date...

First you already tried throwing all these stats to propt up Trent about Payton, Eli and Brady and were way off...there wins and losses mask the MASSIVE improvements their teams made in their SECOND seasons for one...a clever way to bail Trent out (alla Magox)....

Now you are scouring the net to find some other great QB who started slow (in wins/losses) in hopes to proving some point about Trent. I mean its pathetic really.

Wins and Losses are not even remotely close as a usable evaluation of a QB and anoyone who has ever played a down fo real football knows that. Trent Dilfer is a SB winning QB...whats your evaluation of him?

And a BIG FYI for you: For every Jim Kelly example you just gave where a QB wasnt winning early on, there are about 40 other Akili Smiths, Rick Mirers, etc that started off slow and never put it together.

I just love how far some Trentative man crush fans will go to manipulate stats and statements to hide his poor performance. I actually find it quite entertaining and hilarious...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're absolutely right! Our team is completely loaded at all positions except QB! When we win it's despite of him, and when we lose it's because of him.

[/sarcasm]

Spoken by someone who hasnt even looked in to it...go look at all 6 divisional games, the SF and CLE games last year and tell how even a solid QB outing doesnt win us those games. You cant (and wont) because there is no logical argument against you could possibly make becuase the QB postion was so atrocious in those 8 games. EIGHT GAMES! Thats a lot of games when we already had 7 wins. Even if we win just 5 of those 8 we win the division and make the playoffs.

So until you actually go look it up, quit putting your foot in your mouth

Spoken by someone who hasnt even looked in to it...go look at all 6 divisional games, the SF and CLE games last year and tell how even a solid QB outing doesnt win us those games. You cant (and wont) because there is no logical argument against you could possibly make becuase the QB postion was so atrocious in those 8 games. EIGHT GAMES! Thats a lot of games when we already had 7 wins. Even if we win just 5 of those 8 we win the division and make the playoffs.

Right...............I just starting following the team this year. :thumbsup:

Obviously he has struggled, but he doesn't play in a vacuum.

Guest dog14787
Wow, you are really slow arent you. Its a team game, so if one AREA of the team struggles, another AREA of the team can bail us out. At the same time, various areas of the team can do enough to win just to see one area drag us down...

In many of our wins under Trentative, we won despite Trentative not having a good outing. In many of our losses under him we lost becuase the rest of the team did enough for us to win if they would have had help from our QB...Very few times has Trentative gone out and had an actual good game. I can count Trentatives good games literally on a single hand...I need both hands and feet to count his bad games (includes both wins and losses).

In fact, Trentative has yet to go out and carry this team to a win when it needed it. Good QB's are capable of that. His best game as a pro was just a 270+ yard outing with a single TD and it was against one of the worst D's in the league.

My issue to is that he didnt even have a real productive College career either. He has never been capable of taking the reigns and winning us the game. At least not yet.

but somehow Trent Edwards has won more games with as many starts as Eli and Peyton Manning, which by the way, Trent Edwards development looks very similar to Eli's in my opinion.

Guest dog14787
Man, you and Magox should date...

First you already tried throwing all these stats to propt up Trent about Payton, Eli and Brady and were way off...there wins and losses mask the MASSIVE improvements their teams made in their SECOND seasons for one...a clever way to bail Trent out (alla Magox)....

Now you are scouring the net to find some other great QB who started slow (in wins/losses) in hopes to proving some point about Trent. I mean its pathetic really.

Wins and Losses are not even remotely close as a usable evaluation of a QB and anoyone who has ever played a down fo real football knows that. Trent Dilfer is a SB winning QB...whats your evaluation of him?

And a BIG FYI for you: For every Jim Kelly example you just gave where a QB wasnt winning early on, there are about 40 other Akili Smiths, Rick Mirers, etc that started off slow and never put it together.

I just love how far some Trentative man crush fans will go to manipulate stats and statements to hide his poor performance. I actually find it quite entertaining and hilarious...

Pathetic? I made a mistake and admitted as much, you can't seem to get one post off with contradicting yourself and sounding like a fool. Eli and Peyton Manning were the first two QB's I researched, I hardly call it scouring the net, but I'll bet if I did research every current starting QB in the league Trent Edwards game winning percentage is in the top 20% of the league when you compare the first 23 starts of their careers.

It took Jim Kelly 32 starts to equal Trent Edwards win totals at 14 wins with 23 starts. I made some mistakes with my previous information, but my point was still made,.Trent Edwards is off to a very good start in my opinion, especially when you consider the supporting cast and coaching staff.

So what? Trentative has thrown fewer career TDs (18) in 23 games than JP Losman threw in a single season (19). Aren't stats fun?

Guest dog14787
So what? Trentative has thrown fewer career TDs (18) in 23 games than JP Losman threw in a single season (19). Aren't stats fun?

Jay Cutler has thrown 54 Td's and 37 interceptions, yet his team went 17-20 so yes, stats are fun. You guys forget I'm a JP backer so by all means keep it coming. :wallbash:

Sooo.....8 losses were all exclusively the fault of Edwards? Meaning what, a decent QB would have been 15-1 last year? :wallbash:

Good grief. Nice to see the looney bin in full swing in August. btw...I notice you didn't bother to assign any credit for those 7 wins.

Sooo.....8 losses were all exclusively the fault of Edwards? Meaning what, a decent QB would have been 15-1 last year? :wallbash:

Good grief. Nice to see the looney bin in full swing in August. btw...I notice you didn't bother to assign any credit for those 7 wins.

He's got that covered:

In Trents wins, he did very little to help us win in a LOT of those wins. We literally won INSPITE of Trents below average performance thanks to the running game, D, and ST.

The funniest thing on this board that I have seen time and time again is the growing list of threads making another excuse for Trent Christ to explain his frequent below average play. For every one good game he has 4 bad games (literally), but the excuse makers hold on to the one good game as "the real Trent" and make excuses and blame others for his bad games. So, rather than have dozens of threads making excuses for him, here is a chance to list em all. This way when he has a bad game we can all just come to this thread and find out who's fault it really was...lmao

To get you started, here are some popular ones, including the most recent I saw that inspired this thread...

1. Turk

2. DJ

3. Gameday Preperation

4. Jason Peters Holdout

5. And the most recent and my favorite...Lee Evans isnt good enough

I could easily list another dozen, but will let others...

I am just wondering when everyone is going to stop blaming everyone else for his struggles and realize the kid hasnt put it together yet and he is still a stuggling young QB. Hopefully he gets there, our season depends on it, but I havent seen anything in the Preseason that suggests he has improved on his worst attribute which is reading the defense. He doesnt see coverages well or fast enough causing him to make throws late (when going downfield), not see open recievers, check down too often, and hold the ball too long leading to bad sacks and lots of fumbles.

I don't care who you put behind our offensive line of the past few seasons they would have sucked too. Hopefully the line will be better. So far it appears to have made some progress I only hope that the progress speeds up. JP was a good QB too. the team ruined him.

Jay Cutler has thrown 54 Td's and 37 interceptions, yet his team went 17-20 so yes, stats are fun. You guys forget I'm a JP backer so by all means keep it coming. :wallbash:

jay cutler was playing on a team with a bottom dwelling defense.

How convenient that left out that this was in Losman's 3rd season, which Trent has just started. :wallbash:

Of course, you ignore that each of the QBs had 1 season of part time starting (2005 for JP and 2007 for trentative), and then were given the reins of the offense (2006 for JP and 2008 for trentative). Through each of their 1.5 seasons of starting, 23 games for trentative and 24 games for JP, JP outscored trentative 27-18 in the TD department.

But wait a minute...to trentative nuthuggers, this season is basically his rookie year, isnt it? He was injured the first 2 season so those don't count correct? And in 2004, JP threw 5 passes, so that counts as a full season of starting, right?

Of course, you ignore that each of the QBs had 1 season of part time starting (2005 for JP and 2007 for trentative), and then were given the reins of the offense (2006 for JP and 2008 for trentative). Through each of their 1.5 seasons of starting, 23 games for trentative and 24 games for JP, JP outscored trentative 27-18 in the TD department.

But wait a minute...to trentative nuthuggers, this season is basically his rookie year, isnt it? He was injured the first 2 season so those don't count correct? And in 2004, JP threw 5 passes, so that counts as a full season of starting, right?

R u still seriously still on the JP ball licking wagon..lol..Move on get over it..Or go over to the Las Vegas Locomotive board and lick over there..You would figure you woulda moved on already..But man..

It's his third season. But remember that JPL was named the starter in 2005 (after a "QB competition") and was the starter in 2006 and 2007. TE never lost his starting position for bad play. How many starts did JP miss for non injury reasons?

Yeah I got that--I am making fun of your criticism: that you would fault him for not (or not being able to, if it makes a difference to your understanding) throwing to a receiver in tight double coverage.

In other words, that's usually not something you want a QB to do, for reasons that QBs and nonQBs would both consider obvious.

Question: where you are from, what does the term "idiot" mean? Just curious.

According to the dictionary, one of the definitions of an idiot is a foolish or stupid person. I am not really criticizing Trent for not being able to beat double coverage, VERY FEW QB's are able to make that throw into a tight window where it has to be for the receiver to make a play. My post was more of a rebuff of the poster that blamed Evans for not being able to beat a double team. My point was the ONLY way a receiver can beat a double team is if the QB throws a PERFECT pass.

1) It's really cute the like names you have for people who choose not to bash Edwards, who still a young QB.

2) You liked Losman and were wrong about it. I liked him too but in 2007, it was pretty clear he wasn't good enough. Why people have to make a personal thing between Edwards and Losman is beyond me.

3) The only reason Edwards played was because Losman failed at being a starting NFL twice during the season. An objective observer would realize that TE looked pretty good for a rookie straight from college forced into action.

Furthermore, in Losman's only game action as a rookie, he looked like a complete fool. In his 2nd season, he was down right terrible. In his 3rd season, he had about 4 good games. Most wins were in spite of him.

4) Trent has a winning record. So did Holcomb when he replaced JP. Do you think it was some giant coincidence that both QBs that replace Losman played much better with the same exact supporting cast.

5) The third year is huge for any NFL player's development. If TE fails this season, I will gladly be ready to move on to another QB. But not before it is over and most certainly not after a preseason game.

6) Did you get your Las Vegas season tickets yet? :wallbash:

According to the dictionary, one of the definitions of an idiot is a foolish or stupid person. I am not really criticizing Trent for not being able to beat double coverage, VERY FEW QB's are able to make that throw into a tight window where it has to be for the receiver to make a play. My post was more of a rebuff of the poster that blamed Evans for not being able to beat a double team. My point was the ONLY way a receiver can beat a double team is if the QB throws a PERFECT pass.

Thats wrong..A wr can beat a double team if he makes a play on the ball..Jumps higher than the 2 covering him for a overthrown ball. Runs a good route following though on every aspect of his pattern. Runs a good fake cut before cutting the way the route calls for..There aer 2 in a throw catch..Or he can just flat out run the both of them..

Pathetic? I made a mistake and admitted as much, you can't seem to get one post off with contradicting yourself and sounding like a fool. Eli and Peyton Manning were the first two QB's I researched, I hardly call it scouring the net, but I'll bet if I did research every current starting QB in the league Trent Edwards game winning percentage is in the top 20% of the league when you compare the first 23 starts of their careers.

Forget the mistake, who cares? We've all done something similar...but let's look at the point you're trying to make here, dog. Your point is in regard to wins early on in a QBs career. If you want to compare Trent to the Mannings, Kelly, Montana, etc., here's a good way to start:

- Peyton's team went 13-3 and scored a 1st round playoff bye in his 2nd season

- Eli's team went 11-5 and made the playoffs in his 2nd season

- Joe Montana's team went 11-5 and won the Superbowl in his 2nd season

- Kelly is one that I'll give you as far as 2nd season struggles, he did take a while to settle in, but he at least looked the part of a franchise QB. Edwards, to me, looks confused and incapable (now, of course, I have to point out for the idiot crew--not implying you're part of it--that I'm neither a Trent nor a JP fan, I don't think either of them are good). But I digress...Buffalo went 12-4 in Kelly's 3rd season (1988) and scored a playoff bye...can you honestly say you expect Edwards to lead Buffalo to a similar mark this year?

These kinds of threads really suck, I'm sorry.

You want to see incredible QB play, go back and look at the fourth quarters against Jacksonville and Oakland last year. I haven't seen QB play like that since the Kelly era. And you know what? I remember crap like this in the Kelly era too. Fans were constantly trying to tear him down for some reason. It's a Buffalo thing, I'm afraid.

Does Trent need to perform better? Absolutely. I don't think he denies that, either. But the constant harping about whomever the QB is - making fun of everything he does, says, eats, dates, looks at; blaming him for every single loss; calling him names; booing him out of town - what is it about Bills fans? It's not productive, it's mean-spirited and it's ugly. Go get a fuggin' life, seriously. Some of you people deserve the crap product they put out there.

Relax dude. It's okay for people on this board to think Trent isn't very good. Calm down. It's a totally acceptable position to have, considering that the guy looks good against the bottom-feeders and awful against every half-way decent opponent. I want him to succeed, you want him to succeed; in fact I think it's safe to say any Bills fan wants him to succeed. But wanting him to be good and thinking he's capable of being a quality NFL QB are two different things. If people criticizing Edwards and calling him names bothers you, then you shouldn't be reading threads that discuss his play or his ability.

Oh and by the way, it's more than a little misguided to say that any members of a team's fan base--whether they share your opinion of a player or not--deserve a "crap product". I don't think Trent is very good, and I've been a season ticket holder for 22 years, so I can guarantee you I don't deserve a "crap product".

Relax dude. It's okay for people on this board to think Trent isn't very good. Calm down. It's a totally acceptable position to have, considering that the guy looks good against the bottom-feeders and awful against every half-way decent opponent. I want him to succeed, you want him to succeed; in fact I think it's safe to say any Bills fan wants him to succeed. But wanting him to be good and thinking he's capable of being a quality NFL QB are two different things. If people criticizing Edwards and calling him names bothers you, then you shouldn't be reading threads that discuss his play or his ability.

Oh and by the way, it's more than a little misguided to say that any members of a team's fan base--whether they share your opinion of a player or not--deserve a "crap product". I don't think Trent is very good, and I've been a season ticket holder for 22 years, so I can guarantee you I don't deserve a "crap product".

It's reasonable to debate his skills. It's unreasonable to take unnecessary shots at his personality, who he dates, the way he talks, every little thing he says in press conferences, etc. That kind of stuff is for late-night sports talkshows, a/k/a the dregs of humanity. Unforunately we have a lot of that around here.

Thats wrong..A wr can beat a double team if he makes a play on the ball..Jumps higher than the 2 covering him for a overthrown ball. Runs a good route following though on every aspect of his pattern. Runs a good fake cut before cutting the way the route calls for..There aer 2 in a throw catch..Or he can just flat out run the both of them..

Yeah he can out run them both but if the ball isn't there it won't matter. The receiver has to have the ball where he can reach it. If the ball is underthrown, or overthrown, MOST LIKELY a DB will get the ball because in double coverage they play one man short the other deep.

1) It's really cute the like names you have for people who choose not to bash Edwards, who still a young QB.

2) You liked Losman and were wrong about it. I liked him too but in 2007, it was pretty clear he wasn't good enough. Why people have to make a personal thing between Edwards and Losman is beyond me.

3) The only reason Edwards played was because Losman failed at being a starting NFL twice during the season. An objective observer would realize that TE looked pretty good for a rookie straight from college forced into action.

Furthermore, in Losman's only game action as a rookie, he looked like a complete fool. In his 2nd season, he was down right terrible. In his 3rd season, he had about 4 good games. Most wins were in spite of him.

4) Trent has a winning record. So did Holcomb when he replaced JP. Do you think it was some giant coincidence that both QBs that replace Losman played much better with the same exact supporting cast.

5) The third year is huge for any NFL player's development. If TE fails this season, I will gladly be ready to move on to another QB. But not before it is over and most certainly not after a preseason game.

6) Did you get your Las Vegas season tickets yet? :wallbash:

Just for the sake of historical accuracy, it's probably really difficult to get to 3,000 yds with 19:14 TD:INT, and QB rating of 85 while only having 4 good games. I mean, Losman did finish 11th in the league in TDs, 13th in yards, 9th in completion percentage, 11th in QB rating, and tied for 4th in completions of over 40 yards; all while finishing 23rd in the league in attempts per game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

Again, I'm not a big JP backer (as a QB anyway, as a person I think he's a great guy), but if Edwards gets anywhere near those numbers this season I'll be thrilled, and I think you would be as well.

So the entertaining SKOOBY gets bounced and the obnoxious Alphadouche7 stays, go figure. :wallbash:

The thing is, that no matter what argument you make for your case he will ignore it and happily move along.

This coaching staff isn't responsible for the development of Trent Edwards,no matter what system you throw a player into they should be able to preform at a high level. Its always the QB's fault and never the coaches, other players, schemes or play calls.

Big Ben was the most sacked,played with one of the worst O lines and had virtually no running game and yet he took his team to the SB and won it, every QB should be like Big Ben.

The thing is, that no matter what argument you make for your case he will ignore it and happily move along.

This coaching staff isn't responsible for the development of Trent Edwards,no matter what system you throw a player into they should be able to preform at a high level. Its always the QB's fault and never the coaches, other players, schemes or play calls.

Big Ben was the most sacked,played with one of the worst O lines and had virtually no running game and yet he took his team to the SB and won it, every QB should be like Big Ben.

Imagine where the Bills would be today if they had traded up for Big Ben instead of JP. :wallbash:

The Trent apologists hate this thread but I love it. Props to who ever coined the term "Trent apologists". LOVE IT.

Maybe I am a rare fan that actually hopes that Trent does well but can still objectively say that he hasn't done much of anything against a team with a winning record and we know the issues with the 3 - 4 defense.

All in good fun, let's summarize and add:

1) JP sucks - No longer on the team people. Give it up!

2) Trent has a winning record - But has never beat a team that ended the year with a winning record

3) Trent is god, everyone else sucks

4) If Trent sucks this year it's because the fans were objective and critical of his mistakes and down right mean

5) Trent has a great completion percentage - Not coincidentally our RB tandem lead the league in receptions. Can you say checkdown?

6) Comparing the TEAMS, not Trents, wins against sub .500 teams and holding it up against real QBs like Manning, Brady, Kelly, and Manning that have big time NFL arms

7) It's only preseason!!! - Pay no attention to the melt down after week 6 last year!!!!

8) It's the conucussion - Trent himself said this was not a factor

Just for the sake of historical accuracy, it's probably really difficult to get to 3,000 yds with 19:14 TD:INT, and QB rating of 85 while only having 4 good games. I mean, Losman did finish 11th in the league in TDs, 13th in yards, 9th in completion percentage, 11th in QB rating, and tied for 4th in completions of over 40 yards; all while finishing 23rd in the league in attempts per game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

Again, I'm not a big JP backer (as a QB anyway, as a person I think he's a great guy), but if Edwards gets anywhere near those numbers this season I'll be thrilled, and I think you would be as well.

3000 yards over 16 games is only 187 yard per game. He nearly had 400 agaisnt a very bad Texans team. I liked Losman but the signs of him being not that great were shown a lot.

And personally, I want more out of Trent this season.

Guest dog14787
Forget the mistake, who cares? We've all done something similar...but let's look at the point you're trying to make here, dog. Your point is in regard to wins early on in a QBs career. If you want to compare Trent to the Mannings, Kelly, Montana, etc., here's a good way to start:

- Peyton's team went 13-3 and scored a 1st round playoff bye in his 2nd season

- Eli's team went 11-5 and made the playoffs in his 2nd season

- Joe Montana's team went 11-5 and won the Superbowl in his 2nd season

- Kelly is one that I'll give you as far as 2nd season struggles, he did take a while to settle in, but he at least looked the part of a franchise QB. Edwards, to me, looks confused and incapable (now, of course, I have to point out for the idiot crew--not implying you're part of it--that I'm neither a Trent nor a JP fan, I don't think either of them are good). But I digress...Buffalo went 12-4 in Kelly's 3rd season (1988) and scored a playoff bye...can you honestly say you expect Edwards to lead Buffalo to a similar mark this year?

Its not a good way to start,

Seriously, if we are going to compare QB's lets keep it fair O.K. , Trent only has 23 starts so I compared him to their 24 starts, now doesn't that make sense to you? Why am I concerned with what they did afterward? I added Kelly because it took him 30 games to match the amount of games TE has won in 23.

3000 yards over 16 games is only 187 yard per game. He nearly had 400 agaisnt a very bad Texans team. I liked Losman but the signs of him being not that great were shown a lot.

And personally, I want more out of Trent this season.

Danger! Danger! Biscuit!

I used to throw out those types of figures when I was a Losman supporter. Not that he was the next coming of Jim Kelly but at the time he was replaced he was statistically better than Edwards and in spite of his bone head plays he put TDs on the board and Lee Evans, who some claim is not a #1, put up 1200+ yds and 8 TDs in 2006.

And dare I say it? All with the same sh!tty coaching, offensive line, even worse coordinator, etc.

The Trent apologists hate this thread but I love it. Props to who ever coined the term "Trent apologists". LOVE IT.

Maybe I am a rare fan that actually hopes that Trent does well but can still objectively say that he hasn't done much of anything against a team with a winning record and we know the issues with the 3 - 4 defense.

All in good fun, let's summarize and add:

1) JP sucks - No longer on the team people. Give it up!

2) Trent has a winning record - But has never beat a team that ended the year with a winning record

3) Trent is god, everyone else sucks

4) If Trent sucks this year it's because the fans were objective and critical of his mistakes and down right mean

5) Trent has a great completion percentage - Not coincidentally our RB tandem lead the league in receptions. Can you say checkdown?

6) Comparing the TEAMS, not Trents, wins against sub .500 teams and holding it up against real QBs like Manning, Brady, Kelly, and Manning that have big time NFL arms

7) It's only preseason!!! - Pay no attention to the melt down after week 6 last year!!!!

8) It's the conucussion - Trent himself said this was not a factor

something fishy about this poster, I can't quite put a paw on it :wallbash:

Its not a good way to start,

Seriously, if we are going to compare QB's lets keep it fair O.K. , Trent only has 23 starts so I compared him to their 24 starts, now doesn't that make sense to you? Why am I concerned with what they did afterward? I added Kelly because it took him 32 games to match the amount of games TE has won in 23.

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but to no avail, so I'll spell out what my last post was supposed to tell you:

Each of those QBs, save for Kelly, had their teams in the playoffs by their 2nd year as a starter. 24 games is 1-1/2 seasons of starting QB play. So after this season (assuming he doesn't get hurt), Trent will be right in the middle of Peyton, Eli, Montana, and Kelly in terms of games started prior to a playoff appearance. In that respect, I'm asking you, dog, are you telling me that Trent is on par with the Manning boys, Joe Montana, or Jim Kelly, in that he's going to lead Buffalo to 11+ wins and to the playoffs this year?

He sure doesn't look like it to me.

Not sure what you mean by "fishy"? Just a very long time Bills fan, reformed JP Losman supporter and Trent Edwards realist!

judging by your posting history, you share a very similar obsession and typing mannerisms like one of our other beloved posters.

Guest dog14787
I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but to no avail, so I'll spell out what my last post was supposed to tell you:

Each of those QBs, save for Kelly, had their teams in the playoffs by their 2nd year as a starter. 24 games is 1-1/2 seasons of starting QB play. So after this season (assuming he doesn't get hurt), Trent will be right in the middle of Peyton, Eli, Montana, and Kelly in terms of games started prior to a playoff appearance. In that respect, I'm asking you, dog, are you telling me that Trent is on par with the Manning boys, Joe Montana, or Jim Kelly, in that he's going to lead Buffalo to 11+ wins and to the playoffs this year?

He sure doesn't look like it to me.

Frankly, I'm not worried about you giving me the benefit of a doubt, but if your comparisons speak of future results past the game experience TE has, what difference does it make. At this point TE is ahead of both Manning brothers and Jim kelly( as far as wins go) not on Par with them.

You want me to come out and say TE will have a wining season, O.K. , in my opinion TE will come of age this season and do well, are you satisfied. :wallbash: