Ha -- Edwards calls out Sully

eball

Let's not forget that Turk Schonert is the understudy of Steve Fairchild, who trained 3 years under Mike Martz in St Louis....

If your inference is that Schonert is of the Martz/Fairchild coaching tree, I have to disagree.

Schonert is a branch on the Wyche (Walsh) coaching tree and his current offense bears little to no resemblance to that of Fairchild's. And it wouldn't even if they decided NOT to use the no-huddle.

GO BILLS!!!

If your inference is that Schonert is of the Martz/Fairchild coaching tree, I have to disagree.

Schonert is a branch on the Wyche (Walsh) coaching tree and his current offense bares little to no resemblence to that of Fairchild's. And it wouldn't even if they decided NOT to use the no-huddle.

GO BILLS!!!

Bears little resemblance to Wyche too.

Bears little resemblance to Wyche too.

So far. But Wyche's offense bore little resemblance to Wyche's offense the first couple years as well.

Let's get a legitimate threat on the other side of Evans and see what happens when we can spread and stretch a defense like those Wyche offenses. The key is a healthy TO.

Next year, assuming he doesn't come back, we better hope Johnson or Hardy can do a reasonable impression.

GO BILLS!!!

I hate sully, but he's right this time and Edwards is wrong. there were several games last year where edwards checked off and didn't see evans open downfield last year (especially after the concussion).

this would have been a good time for edwards to keep his mouth shut, and worry about the first team O actually getting the ball in the endzone

Edwards has to thicken his skin

Sully asked a legit question

Sully couldn't wait to run JP out of town

The honeymoon is over for Trent

It seems that most of you are missing the point. Do we not want our QB to play with a chip on his shoulder? I think Edwards has been much too "easygoing" to this point. Hell, I'd like for the entire team to tell the media to shove it and go into this season with an "us against the world" mentality.

And my god, I've never seen such Sully ball-washing.

It seems that most of you are missing the point. Do we not want our QB to play with a chip on his shoulder? I think Edwards has been much too "easygoing" to this point. Hell, I'd like for the entire team to tell the media to shove it and go into this season with an "us against the world" mentality.

And my god, I've never seen such Sully ball-washing.

He said the same thing last year. Doing what he's told. Taking what the defense gives him.

Regarding Sullivan...call it what you like but most of us haven't even mentioned him. You've taken Edwards' words and decided that they convey something positive in his development. I disagree, and that's AOK.

And another thing - "He's doing what he is told" is a chicken sh-t excuse for sucking. How many times do you think Kelly changed a play or did what he knew would work better that what he was told? Same could be said for any great player. Fact is, Trent will make a nice back up QB and perhaps a great coach - but a star QB or even a bonifide starter, I have seen enough, he simply does not have "it".

The Nazi soldier defense for marching Jews into the chambers was "I was doing what I was told" - so were they good soldiers? Good sheep - perhaps, but a good soldier, hardly. That said, Trent is at best a good sheep and a mediocre quarterback - but a good QB, hardly.

I'm sorry but that's probably the most retarded analogy I've ever seen in my life...

I mean, it's just so... terrible.

You just compared marching 6 million people to their deaths.

To

Throwing the ball down field in a football game.

I want you to look at that. say to yourself, "Am I really helping society by existing?" and go ponder that for a moment.

I do want our QB playing with a chip on his shoulder....just not a whiney, leave me alone, I'm trying my hardest chip. The QB should play with a swagger, with confidence to fit the ball into a tight spot 15-20 yards down field. If it gets picked, do it better the next time. I remember a Monday night game against Cincy, where Kelly through 3 ints in the 1st quarter and then 4 or 5 TD's and the Bills won in a blowout. Thats a quarterback with confidence.

Throwing downfield is the "final solution" to the Bills offensive woes.

I think we all know it isn't the final solution....but it would sure be a start. It opens up alot of other aspects of the offense, especially the running game.

I think we all know it isn't the final solution....but it would sure be a start. It opens up alot of other aspects of the offense, especially the running game.

fairly certain you missed that reference.

I do want our QB playing with a chip on his shoulder....just not a whiney, leave me alone, I'm trying my hardest chip. The QB should play with a swagger, with confidence to fit the ball into a tight spot 15-20 yards down field. If it gets picked, do it better the next time. I remember a Monday night game against Cincy, where Kelly through 3 ints in the 1st quarter and then 4 or 5 TD's and the Bills won in a blowout. Thats a quarterback with confidence.

It's heresy to even mention Trentative Checkwards (love that) and Jim Kelly in the same sentence...BUT...in the Cleveland Monday-nighter a year ago, TE had a horrible first half (3 picks?) yet led the team downfield in the 4th quarter and put them in position to win. I think he bounced back well and showed confidence in that situation.

I don't know what to make of Edwards right now. I want to see some swagger; I just read his comments directed at Sully as evidence of a little bit of frustration bubbling to the surface, and perhaps a realization that he needs to take control.

It's heresy to even mention Trentative Checkwards (love that) and Jim Kelly in the same sentence...BUT...in the Cleveland Monday-nighter a year ago, TE had a horrible first half (3 picks?) yet led the team downfield in the 4th quarter and put them in position to win. I think he bounced back well and showed confidence in that situation.

If "led" means finally made one pass over 20 yards, then yes he did. Every other pass in the game was a dump off.

Whoopty do dah day... he calls out a reporter. By the same token... Evans subtly called Edwards out. How bout that?

So, now we've got Sully, Kelly, Thermal, Evans, and a lot ot of fans on his case. We got it all wrong.

Here comes the BICKERING BILLS......Dejavu....Just like 1989......

And the cycle turns, as we're less than two years removed from "you're the expert buddy" reply to Sully.

Edwards, the next ex-Bill whose professional obit was presaged by Sullivan?

Bingo. In passionate sports towns, the absolute last thing you want to do is p*ss off an influential member of the media. That person can turn the tide of popular opinion against you so fast, you'll be begging for a contract release.

Edwards should have taken the high road, instead he's following to a tee JP Losman's Guide to Getting Run Out of the NFL™.

1) Quietly call out coaches

2) Openly challenge the media

3) Play in the UFL.

As much as many of us want to see Trent succeed, his play over the final games last year (the ones JP didn't start) in combination with a very lack-lustre preseason has many of us wondering if this is just another RJ, JP, incarnation but with a little more smarts and a weaker arm.

Plain and Simple:

Edwards needs to put his receivers in positions where they can make plays more often than he does now. It's not that he "won't throw the deep pass" or the "playcalling sucks" it's the fact that Edwards won't go to a receiver unless he's WIDE open. That's a problem. Watch the great ones play, they're not afraid to make the tight throws or allow their guys to go up and get it. Trent too often waits for the perfect pass and that, more than anything, is what he has to get over.

Bingo. In passionate sports towns, the absolute last thing you want to do is p*ss off an influential member of the media. That person can turn the tide of popular opinion against you so fast, you'll be begging for a contract release.

Edwards should have taken the high road, instead he's following to a tee JP Losman's Guide to Getting Run Out of the NFL™.

1) Quietly call out coaches

2) Openly challenge the media

3) Play in the UFL.

As much as many of us want to see Trent succeed, his play over the final games last year (the ones JP didn't start) in combination with a very lack-lustre preseason has many of us wondering if this is just another RJ, JP, incarnation but with a little more smarts and a weaker arm.

Are you kidding? His play on the field will dictate how he is perceived, not an angry weasel sportswriter. Do you remember how Kelly, Smith and others were portrayed by our local writers? I would have told Sullivan to stick it, also.

Are you kidding? His play on the field will dictate how he is perceived, not an angry weasel sportswriter. Do you remember how Kelly, Smith and others were portrayed by our local writers? I would have told Sullivan to stick it, also.

What was the genesis of Sully's diatribe then?

Or, how about this? Maybe, just maybe the team is waiting until the season begins to actually open up the playbook for mass consumption. Why give Bill B any sneak peaks?

A clever plan that .... risk injury to your starters for a quarter while not letting them gain experience with each other running the "real plays" in order to show Bill B. who the better coach is. I suspect Bill B. already knows who the better coach is.

I have been a trent edwards supporter for a couple of years now but even my patience is running thin. The biggest thing that bothers me is that he is not able to forget what happened the play before. Many announcers say all great/good quarterbacks are able to forget the play before and push through adversity. Now I think we can all agree that Edwards is not one of these guys. Also, Edward firing back at sully is another sign of how he is easily flustered. To me, he seems like a rich California kid who gets all butt-hurt when someone says something bad about him. Dont get me wrong, I still want him to succeed but the same can be said about rob johnson, and jp losman, and we all know how that went. It should be mentioned that Jim Kelly called trent edwards out too, saying that a few times when he was watching trent, he wouldn't look down the field and just opted for a checkdown throw. Pretty much the same thing that sully is saying.

Trent just grow a pair and lets wreak some havoc this year.

GO BILLS!

Plain and Simple:

Edwards needs to put his receivers in positions where they can make plays more often than he does now. It's not that he "won't throw the deep pass" or the "playcalling sucks" it's the fact that Edwards won't go to a receiver unless he's WIDE open. That's a problem. Watch the great ones play, they're not afraid to make the tight throws or allow their guys to go up and get it. Trent too often waits for the perfect pass and that, more than anything, is what he has to get over.

That's a common problem for young QBs, and perhaps the area in which the arrival of TO will provide the greatest benefits. Once Trentative learns he can throw the ball to a "covered" TO and still get a positive result, his confidence will hopefully blossom. Note I said "hopefully," as I too am wary of what's going on with this offense.

I don't know what to make of Edwards right now. I want to see some swagger; I just read his comments directed at Sully as evidence of a little bit of frustration bubbling to the surface, and perhaps a realization that he needs to take control.

Fair enough, I hope he is getting frustrated and will take control. I've been an Edwards fan and I think he has it in him. He led some nice wins at the beginning of last year and threw with confidence (I know, poor competition, but still, NFL teams). I just hope he can get back there. I see TO is out of the lineup this weekend again.....doesn't look like we will see him til the 14th.

I understood the poster to say that going after a reporter would get Edwards run out of town more than his play.

It's circular. The columnist vulture pounces on the weak, when it's become obvious to most well before that.

A master of the craft would have written that piece last year, when these things were in clear view. But the primary plan last year was to ride JP out on a rail and ignore the budding problem with Edwards' game.

No different than what happened with the coronation of McGahee when Henry got pushed aside, shortly followed by McGahee's curb tossing with Lynch on deck of the leaping edge.

The play on the field matters, but so does the public perception which is heavily flavored by what they read, watch or hear from the "professionals."

A clever plan that .... risk injury to your starters for a quarter while not letting them gain experience with each other running the "real plays" in order to show Bill B. who the better coach is. I suspect Bill B. already knows who the better coach is.

A clever rouse indeed - :)