Good places to photograph in WNY?

3rd and One

I have currently taken up photography as a hobby and I really want to capture WNY. I have already been to the Erie Basin Marina and Falls. Any other places that you guys might suggest I go to take some pictures? Let me know. Thanks guys.

I grew up in the boonies and I love to go back and take pictures of all the old barns and farms. Head east on route 20 or 20A and you find all sorts of nice places. Also Ellicottville is a great place to take photos.

So let me get this straight...umm no pun intended

You:

• Like to take pictures of old barns
  • Like to cook fancy recipes
  • Like to try out different wines
  • Live in California

Umm

You:

• Live in California

Umm

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

+1 on the Letchworth and Ellicottville suggestions.

I have currently taken up photography as a hobby and I really want to capture WNY. I have already been to the Erie Basin Marina and Falls. Any other places that you guys might suggest I go to take some pictures? Let me know. Thanks guys.

I recommend the Alabama swamps out near Akron as well as the Tonawanda reservation land next door. Also the Erie Canal towns east of lockport. Sunsets over lake Ontario from Wilson eastward.

You:

• Live in California

Umm

Yeah that's right. Only gay people do those things. :devil:

You people need to get out more.

Oh BTW I like to listen to classical music too. :thumbsup:

Take a ride down 219 through the country, plenty of great photos there. Also, heading north on 219 on a clear day on top of the hills you can see Buffalo in the distance. Its a really great shot

Not sure if you're in the suburbs or not, but Glens Falls is pretty nice for pictures and is right off main street.

What kind of pictures are you looking to take? Just nature shots?

Letchworth, Allegheny, Zoar Valley...

Griffis sculpture park

http://www.griffispark.org/

(be sure to bring some sort of hallucinogenics to enhance the experience)

Also, if you're looking for a good day trip from Buffalo, head down to the Allegany National Forest along the NY/PA border. One of the largest national parks in the country, and it has the Kinzua dam, Rimrock, Jakes Rocks, etc.

What kind of pictures are you looking to take? Just nature shots?

Honestly I'm looking to take all kinds of shots. I already took quite a few nature shots and plan on taking a lot more. I realized I really enjoy nature. I'm also trying to get a lot of city shots of Buffalo as well so that'll be a prioority too.

All your suggestions have been great and I'll definately be taking some day trips to take pictures now. Thanks again guys!

within the city, here's a mix of urban beauty and decay:

the parkway system - Bidwell, Lincoln, Chapin and Delaware Park Lake area

elmwood avenue

allentown area

the old first ward

the lower west side

really you can't go wrong in Buffalo - pretty much every block is visually interesting

The Lower Niagara River

from Niagara Falls all the way

to Lewistown

Then goto Fort Niagara

and if you are there during the

regatta you can get some nice

pics of all the sail boats heading

out on Lake Ontario

Take the elevator in the Niagara One

building and get some shots of

Niagara Falls from there should be

able to get some nice shots of

Queen Victoria Park on the canadian

side from there too

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention the Old Fort myself. I loved that place. When we were back there in '05, we took lots of Pics. The pure HISTORY of the place is amazing.

:wallbash::devil:

We usually take the kidlets there every summer... Pretty cool place. I remember letting my son when he was about four take the steps up the main blockhouse ahead us (my daughter was still in a stroller)... I figured what harm can a four year old do going a ahead of us up to where the cannons where... I figured wrong, as my wife barely walked into the parade ground I hear he screetch with horror... My son seemed to be enjoying himself walking around the LEDGE of the cannon level! :blink::blink:

What? Didn't they make these things "family friendly" in the 18th century! ;);)

Oh... I love making my gratuitous French joke. Notice the flag they French fly there is for the period that the French had control of the fort... Yep, you guessed it... It is an all white flag. ;);)

Honestly I'm looking to take all kinds of shots. I already took quite a few nature shots and plan on taking a lot more. I realized I really enjoy nature. I'm also trying to get a lot of city shots of Buffalo as well so that'll be a prioority too.

All your suggestions have been great and I'll definately be taking some day trips to take pictures now. Thanks again guys!

OK, get away from nature and try the Amtrak station in Depew. Nothing like capturing 16,000hp and 10,000 tons bearing down on you at 50mph. The CSX colors suck, but frequent Union Pacific engines make it worthwhile

The Lower Niagara River

from Niagara Falls all the way

to Lewistown

Then goto Fort Niagara

and if you are there during the

regatta you can get some nice

pics of all the sail boats heading

out on Lake Ontario

Take the elevator in the Niagara One

building and get some shots of

Niagara Falls from there should be

able to get some nice shots of

Queen Victoria Park on the canadian

side from there too

I can't believe it took this long into the thread to get to Niagara Falls ... my other suggestion would be to bike the canal tow path ( I would start in Lockport and head towards Medina) the canal towns are unfortunately dying but some great shots along the way.