I would just like to know

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, wha? Last schoolwork I did was in 1988. (Or maybe a couple of years before that, if you talk to my profs.)

Oh, and thanks for the backup, you wiseasses. :lol:

;)

But on this subject, nothing in this thread comes within light-years of some of the stuff I've seen here. There's more background noise now -- the price of moving from a small town to a medium-sized city -- but we've been ripping the sh-- out of each other ever since the place began. (And some people longer than that -- remember why the HyperBills board crashed and burned?)

JMO.

(P.S.: You got the "hack" part right, Guff. Never denied that.)

Well......I am a old timer but not the oldest I guess.....I came along right when the HyperBills board turned off the lights

I have been a pretty hard on him this past year about the fact that his grades were slipping...but even I dont expect a 17 year old to know what he wants to do with the rest of his life.

I was kinda hoping that once he got to college he would get an idea of what he would like to do.

But that's only a start, and the most important thing to do is give him a direction. 99% of 17 yr olds don't have a clue what they want to do. But hopefully those 17-yr olds have been hammered at home that things don't come easy and a lot of times life throws detours in your path. College is probably the easiest place in the world to screw up and it happens to a lot of kids who get to school, party their asses off freshman year, and still end up washing cars for a career.

We have a cousin who was going to get a Div I ride to play soccer at Hartwick. But his grades weren't good enough to get in. The school was willing to admit him, and then he'd get the scholarship once he got his grades up. But the knucklehead screwed up and didn't take it seriously when he got there. They booted his ass after one semester, he never finished school, and now he's a non-educated loser bouncing from one dead end job to another.

But that's only a start, and the most important thing to do is give him a direction. 99% of 17 yr olds don't have a clue what they want to do. But hopefully those 17-yr olds have been hammered at home that things don't come easy and a lot of times life throws detours in your path. College is probably the easiest place in the world to screw up and it happens to a lot of kids who get to school, party their asses off freshman year, and still end up washing cars for a career.

We have a cousin who was going to get a Div I ride to play soccer at Hartwick. But his grades weren't good enough to get in. The school was willing to admit him, and then he'd get the scholarship once he got his grades up. But the knucklehead screwed up and didn't take it seriously when he got there. They booted his ass after one semester, he never finished school, and now he's a non-educated loser bouncing from one dead end job to another.

GG.....I hear what you are saying and I agree with you......my worst fear is washing out because of grades.

I dont worry about the partying thing......this kid lives extremely clean. One thing that he was able to be convinced of is that booze, and drugs dont mix with being an athlete....I did not teach him that that came from his trainer from the last 3 years. The kid hasn't even drank a drop of soda that I know of in the past 3 years.

GG.....I hear what you are saying and I agree with you......my worst fear is washing out because of grades.

I dont worry about the partying thing......this kid lives extremely clean. One thing that he was able to be convinced of is that booze, and drugs dont mix with being an athlete....I did not teach him that that came from his trainer from the last 3 years. The kid hasn't even drank a drop of soda that I know of in the past 3 years.

Maybe you should have him hang up his cleats and pick up the bong. :lol: I partied my way through high school and played no sports. Burned out on sports in Jr High, had bad knees at the age of 12. Played in a rock band in high school instead. Guess what, straight A's and aced most of my Regents exams. My biggest mistake was going to Culinary School and not a real college.

Maybe you should have him hang up his cleats and pick up the bong. ;) I partied my way through high school and played no sports. Burned out on sports in Jr High, had bad knees at the age of 12. Played in a rock band in high school instead. Guess what, straight A's and aced most of my Regents exams. My biggest mistake was going to Culinary School and not a real college.

Nobody likes a show off Chef :wallbash::lol:

Sometimes we all need a tuna upside our heads. I've have several over the years and have taken it as constructive and I'm a better person for it.

Are you henpecked by your wife?

Perhaps I am misreading this....but to me this thread implies that I feel I am being singled out of the rest of the poster base and am being unfairly treated over everyone else.

That is not the case.......I feel that the posts have gotten increasingly antagonistic over the years to everyone on this board. You brought up the issue of when Lori got lambasted about her school work......Lori (who I have an extremely high opinion of) got unfairly treated at that time as well.

I actually am not quite sure what you feel that I am in denial of. I agree with what most people are saying....I just dont like the way they are saying it.

Sometimes there's no good way to take advice that is very hard to hear. I've been in situations, like Chef's, and have gotten very angry about it (not saying you are) and when I've cooled off I thought about it and realized the advice was good from caring people it just hit a little close to the bone.

That is because I cant write worth a @hit

Here's another one of your thread titles;

A sad day for me, My son will only be able to play JUCO

This is the case. Sure there are a few of those (wise ass responses) but even they are 'less wise' than is normal around here.

I'm one of the biggest douchebags around here (ask anyone) and even I didn't get sarcastic.

John--you've been here a long long time. Many spearing contests have been held in your honor. Folks are for the most part offering their honest opinions. When you have a few hours to kill read this from page 1 again and see if you don't change your mind even a little bit.

Oh, BTW---can someone convert 104o F into Celsius for me? All I can figure out is it is fuggin hot here!

I'm shocked! Absolutely astounded anyone could think that of you! :lol:

Oh, and here.

If that's too hard for you to figure out then try this one eediot!!

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I want you to go back and read the title of the thread. Your son blew out his knee but you're the one with the bad luck. I think that has contributed to the responses you've gotten here.

I agree.

For the first thread he wrote back in may "A sad day for my son", IMO, would have been better. For this one a title that doesn't make him the big loser in his son's knee problem would have been better. IMO, "Just when my son was getting back on track his knee blows out. He's devastated"

It seems your focus is on your feelings about these situations and not your son's. JMO

It seems your focus is on your feelings about these situations and not your son's. JMO

John, I have read through this a few times, I understand you are devastated that his football playing days may be over, and this also may have been an opportunity for Brett to get a chance at higher education, and for that I am truely sorry. The one thing we haven't heard from you.... how is Brett reacting?

We have spent 7 pages of discussion regarding how John should deal with the son's lost football opportunities, and compared parenting techniques and stories. We have had psycological assesments of John and Brett, but we really haven't heard about Brett and his current feelings. Is he pissed? Dissapointed? Relieved?

I agree.

For the first thread he wrote back in may "A sad day for my son", IMO, would have been better. For this one a title that doesn't make him the big loser in his son's knee problem would have been better. IMO, "Just when my son was getting back on track his knee blows out. He's devastated"

Of course a sad day for your son is also a sad day for you. What dad out there isn't upset when his son blows out his knee and his playing days are over? Seeing loved ones in pain also causes pain for you, unless you don't have a soul.

John, I have read through this a few times, I understand you are devastated that his football playing days may be over, and this also may have been an opportunity for Brett to get a chance at higher education, and for that I am truely sorry. The one thing we haven't heard from you.... how is Brett reacting?

We have spent 7 pages of discussion regarding how John should deal with the son's lost football opportunities, and compared parenting techniques and stories. We have had psycological assesments of John and Brett, but we really haven't heard about Brett and his current feelings. Is he pissed? Dissapointed? Relieved?

He is always the eternal optomist. We have not yet been able to get our MRI and he insists he ACL is not torn.

I am trying to have a discussion with him about how its not the end of the world if he had to have surgury.....need to focus on his grades etc yesterday. He gets up and says "MY ACL IS NOT TORN....ITS JUST MY MCL" and he starts hopping up and down on the knee saying "see....see would I be able to do this if my ACL was blown out?"

Until somebody tells him that he definatley isn't going to play....then he believes he is.

John, if you're interested I blew out my ankle before my senior season in high school football, I'm about to turn 25 next month. I played on a program that is consistently ranked in the Top 25 in the country. It's tough, but he'll get through it. I remember my mom took it harder than anyone, I think she thought I was dying. I could have gotten depressed about it but my dad made sure I kept active on other things and I think that really helped. If you or your son needs someone to talk through, let me know.

John, if you're interested I blew out my ankle before my senior season in high school football, I'm about to turn 25 next month. I played on a program that is consistently ranked in the Top 25 in the country. It's tough, but he'll get through it. I remember my mom took it harder than anyone, I think she thought I was dying. I could have gotten depressed about it but my dad made sure I kept active on other things and I think that really helped. If you or your son needs someone to talk through, let me know.

Your dad got you hookers? Wow... what a guy!