I would just like to know

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this is hearing the lock click on a door that was never open to begin with. I'm sorry to hear about his injury, and i hope he recovers quickly and fully, but now he'll have to focus on what he's going to do with the rest of his life.

I have to agree. Maybe this will be the event that makes him buckle down in school & start concentrating on what is important. John it sucks that he is not going to play football his senior year of high school. That is what I would be most sad about. To be sad about thinking this is going to ruin his chances of playing college football, the bottom line is he probably was not going to play college football anyways since the colleges have not shown much interest in him to date.

Wow, pretty impressive. Why did you end up picking Cornell over Yale?

When I actually got around to visiting Yale, I found it to be just about the most pretentious place on Earth. Every professor, teaching assistant, tour guide, etc that I came across was so full himself that I just knew it would be 4 years of hell.

My sister was already going to Cornell so I was familiar with the campus and the general atmosphere. I find it to be the perfect mix of great academics with a genuine college experience. Cornell, to me, is for intellectuals who want to attend college and not a country club full of trust fund babies where you happen to take classes.

Might I add that grade inflation is running rampant through Yale, Princeton and Harvard, while at Cornell it is still challenging to pull a 3.0. Despite delusions of grandeur, those other schools are actually quite a bit easier to graduate.

John

I am not saying your kid isn't a good football player but lets be honest, was his main goal to get a full ride to a big school or to just play with his friends and have fun? If he was trying to get a scholarship his grades wouldn't allow for that to happen anyway.

See what the DR says before getting all upset. I did the same thing and was able to play the last 5 games of the season. Actually has surgery on new years day and was fine by April. Good luck.

John

I am not saying your kid isn't a good football player but lets be honest, was his main goal to get a full ride to a big school or to just play with his friends and have fun? If he was trying to get a scholarship his grades wouldn't allow for that to happen anyway.

See what the DR says before getting all upset. I did the same thing and was able to play the last 5 games of the season. Actually has surgery on new years day and was fine by April. Good luck.

You touched on what I was going to say...

I don't know the details. I don't know his son. I do have a small inkling of how hard he was pushed over the years through John's posts.

A kid who is a B student, who is told over and over again that his football future is going to vanish if his grades plummet, and STILL let's his grades tank so badly that schools won't touch him - is passive-aggressively telling you he doesn't want to play at that level. Getting average grades in HS is like asking someone to breathe. It's stupid easy unless you are actively trying not to get them.

He may love football and enjoy playing it with his friends, but letting his grades go by the way side (and knowing the consequences of that) is a sign that doesn't share the dreams of his father. It just is.

So, maybe instead of plotting how John-boy is going to get his GED to go to Jr. college, transfer and redshirt at Div III east-bumf*ck, send Easter hams to the coach at Div II Mt. Nowhere in hopes of another transfer, so that maybe he can leave college with $50k of debt, no worthwhile degree or skills, and no shot of even being camp fodder in any professional league you might want to take this opportunity to re-evaluate the path he is on.

That's just my opinion though....

Sorry to hear about your son, John, but to somewhat paraphrase Rabbi Harold Kushner, your issue should not be "Why is this happening to me?" but rather "Where does this take me?"

You can't fix anything until you figure out the difference between those two reactions. All the better if your son walks away learning the same exercise.

or rather my son to deserve this bad luck....

- Things are going great

- Even though his grades were crap his coaches were willing to step forward and help him to make sure he was playing football past his senior year

- Starting positions both ways......a team captain

- Getting ready to compete against some of the best talent in Southern Califoria at the Max Preps All America combine......100 players coming from all over the west coast by invitation only

So he is getting ready for the final passing tournament of the season then 3 weeks of offtime before the start of training camp. He is warming up and goes up for a pass that is thrown too high comes down BAM

Blows out his knee.......

We are hoping it isn't his ACL but we have already been to the free clinic and the doc said it was.....if this is true he is out for his senior season we are going for a second opinion tomorrow and trying to get an MRI as soon as possible.

This in essence might finish things for him.......

I'm so sorry for your lad, John. With hope, he will fully recover.

If that's the case, you may as well round up every Asian & Indian parent and call them Hitler.

Hey wait a sec....is that why 90% of the world's scientists will be living in Asia within the next 10 years? :rolleyes:

You could help him get started on his future...

No one should EVER plan on being a professional athlete. The failures are epic and those who don't have a fallback plan often end up in jail or dead. It sucks that your son suffered such an apparently serious injury but in reality it's probably a wake up call to both of you.

Sometimes tough love is the only answer.

If it's an MCL, your new job is to help your kid put football behind him. Based on what you said, he was going to barely make it in a college program before. Now he's a true long shot to make any college team.

Since he has trouble with grades, it's time for him to ditch football and focus on what matters both in high school, college, and beyond. The last thing a poor student needs throughout college (unless he's a pro prospect which you've said your son is not) is a football distraction. Get him to start focusing on his real future, which is between his ears.

That's easier said than done but parenting is hard. The last thing you want is for your kid to be bitter about a missed football career for the next 70 years.

I have to agree. Maybe this will be the event that makes him buckle down in school & start concentrating on what is important. John it sucks that he is not going to play football his senior year of high school. That is what I would be most sad about. To be sad about thinking this is going to ruin his chances of playing college football, the bottom line is he probably was not going to play college football anyways since the colleges have not shown much interest in him to date.

Just FYI on this.....interest was picking up just not at the Div I level.

Not that it makes any difference now.

You touched on what I was going to say...

I don't know the details. I don't know his son. I do have a small inkling of how hard he was pushed over the years through John's posts.

A kid who is a B student, who is told over and over again that his football future is going to vanish if his grades plummet, and STILL let's his grades tank so badly that schools won't touch him - is passive-aggressively telling you he doesn't want to play at that level. Getting average grades in HS is like asking someone to breathe. It's stupid easy unless you are actively trying not to get them.

He may love football and enjoy playing it with his friends, but letting his grades go by the way side (and knowing the consequences of that) is a sign that doesn't share the dreams of his father. It just is.

So, maybe instead of plotting how John-boy is going to get his GED to go to Jr. college, transfer and redshirt at Div III east-bumf*ck, send Easter hams to the coach at Div II Mt. Nowhere in hopes of another transfer, so that maybe he can leave college with $50k of debt, no worthwhile degree or skills, and no shot of even being camp fodder in any professional league you might want to take this opportunity to re-evaluate the path he is on.

That's just my opinion though....

SDS....yes you dont know the situation. I will leave it at that.

Stuck....I appreciate your good will post.

You're welcome, John.

Through the years, you have shared things with us about the goings-on with your family. Good times, bad times alike.

Along the way, I'm certain that your expressions about raising your children have helped many that face similar issues, though some do not care to admit so.

I've no doubt that your boy, like your daughter, has a big heart. Not being cold can and often hurts, but there is nothing greater that parents can pass on to their children...your children will be among the ones that love the springtime, that prefer the dawn over the twilight.

SDS....yes you dont know the situation. I will leave it at that.

You are right - I don't. But, do you want everyone to pull punches, slap you on the back, and wish you luck or are you looking for people to give you an honest assessment?

Needless to say, your posts about your disappointment in his prospective football future (even if it ends at college), when the kid is pulling D's in core courses is as backasswards as it comes. As it stands now, Brett isn't even learning what he's supposed to in high school, let alone what is going to be presented to him in college. You aren't going to be able to solve differential equations when you didn't bother to learn basic math.

I would have expected the original post to come from Brett, because he is young and doesn't know any better. A kid's short term ambition often clouds his view of his long term future. However, it didn't come from Brett, it came from you. I'm not quite sure how you managed to type:

- Things are going great

- Even though his grades were crap

in the same post and think nothing of it. :rolleyes:

If Andrew was pulling D's in core courses in high school I would be throwing up at night. You presented his falling grades to us as a mere obstacle to him getting signed by a D1 school. John, that is messed up.

I'm not telling you how to raise your kid. That's your job. You need to figure that out for yourself. But if you're going to solicit comments about your situation, then my take is that I hope he gets his stojan together, learns what he needs to in high school, and manages to find a career that he loves and can support himself. I hope his knee gets better and can lead a happy, healthy lifestyle. Whether he plays college football or not is the least of his worries...

Might I add that grade inflation is running rampant through Yale, Princeton and Harvard, while at Cornell it is still challenging to pull a 3.0. Despite delusions of grandeur, those other schools are actually quite a bit easier to graduate.

Ahhh, the good old college inferiority complex.