I would just like to know

or rather my son to deserve this bad luck....

- Things are going great

- Even though his grades were crap his coaches were willing to step forward and help him to make sure he was playing football past his senior year

- Starting positions both ways......a team captain

- Getting ready to compete against some of the best talent in Southern Califoria at the Max Preps All America combine......100 players coming from all over the west coast by invitation only

So he is getting ready for the final passing tournament of the season then 3 weeks of offtime before the start of training camp. He is warming up and goes up for a pass that is thrown too high comes down BAM

Blows out his knee.......

We are hoping it isn't his ACL but we have already been to the free clinic and the doc said it was.....if this is true he is out for his senior season we are going for a second opinion tomorrow and trying to get an MRI as soon as possible.

This in essence might finish things for him.......

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about your kid's injury but those two lines I left in your post says an awful lot about what's wrong today. Priorities are all !@#$ed up.

yeah, I have to agree here.

John - you have been beating the football drum for years with this kid. What happens when he isn't good enough like everyone else and he's dumb as box of !@#$ing rocks? Are you going to pat him on the back when he gets his 1st pool digging job?

yeah, I have to agree here.

John - you have been beating the football drum for years with this kid. What happens when he isn't good enough like everyone else and he's dumb as box of !@#$ing rocks? Are you going to pat him on the back when he gets his 1st pool digging job?

He could play for the Bills, they like drafting injured players.

Welcome to the world of the athlete. Never know when that knee is going to go. Blew mine up during walkon tryouts at WVU for baseball. Cost me the chance to play in Italy's pro league.

Don't sweat it too much, even if he loses his senior season, he can still progress on the field and off the field. On the field, well, on the sidelines actually, get him to be his coaches shadow and have him watch everything he can. Seeing things from a different perspective is very helpful to an athlete's progression, plus as a team captain he still needs to be a leader for his team.

Off the field, he'll have more time to work on those grades and prepare for college. Remember, colleges won't think twice to boot a player for grades so sooner or later he's going to have to get those grades up. Might as well start now.

Also, make sure he doesn't try to rush his way back onto the field. He's still young and he'll mend a lot better than a college or pro athlete will, but he's got to stick to rehabbing properly for that to happen.

- Things are going great

- Even though his grades were crap his coaches were willing to step forward and help him to make sure he was playing football past his senior year

- Getting ready to compete against some of the best talent in Southern Califoria at the Max Preps All America combine......100 players coming from all over the west coast by invitation only

So he is getting ready for the final passing tournament of the season then 3 weeks of offtime before the start of training camp. He is warming up and goes up for a pass that is thrown too high comes down BAM

We are hoping it isn't his ACL but we have already been to the free clinic and the doc said it was.....if this is true he is out for his senior season we are going for a second opinion tomorrow and trying to get an MRI as soon as possible.

Sorry to hear about your son's injury...I hope he recovers quickly and that this doesn't lead to long term knee troubles.

Let me advise you as somebody who is only a couple of years older than your son. At this age, he's probably looking for a direction and his hobby (football) is his passion. Based on this post and a couple of earlier ones, it sounds like he's very good but not the type of transcendent talent that could play professionally one day. Therefore, he NEEDS other options. Maybe he's a great writer and just hasn't realized it. Maybe he's a latent organic chemistry whiz. If he hasn't been focusing on his studies, then now would be the perfect time to start since he's laid up.

To say "This in essence might finish things for him" isn't the correct outlook. His football career might be on hiatus, but that doesn't mean he's "finished". As they say, when one door closes another one opens. If his knee is blown out, his knee is blown out. That's already in the past. Look toward the future. Don't dwell on the implications of the injury.

- Things are going great

This is why having good grades is a must for football players. Your son probably has a better chance of getting struck by lighting than making a living playing pro-football.

With all due respect John, I like you a lot but, you need to re-read the title of this thread.

I would just like to know

WTH I did or didn't do to deserve this bad luck

This is about your son John, not you. IMO, you sound like a Hollywood parent who is trying to live vicariously through their child. Right now isn't the time to get upset about this, as I said his chances of playing pro-ball are slim to none. IMO, grades should have been the #1 priority for you to encourage for your son. Football should have been second. The kid needs a career that will carry him if he doesn't make it at football. Sorry if I'm pissing you off it's just my opinion.

Help him get his grades up and look for something that might be on the peripheral of sports. If he can get his grades up he might be able to go to Syracuse's Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Some notable alumni include:

* Contessa Brewer, journalist for MSNBC

* Bob Costas, Sportscaster of NBC and HBO Sports

* Bob Berenson, former Vice Chairman and General Manager of Grey Global Group

* Barry Baker, Management Director/Venture Partner, Boston Ventures

* Fred Dressler, former Executive Vice President of Time Warner Cable

* Susan Feeney, Managing Editor, NPR’s “Morning Edition”

* Eric D. Frankel, President, Warner Bros. Domestic Cable Distribution

* Alan Frank, President, Post-Newsweek Stations

* Ruth Fremson, Photographer for The New York Times

* Brian Frons, President of ABC Daytime

* Ed Goren, President of Fox Sports

* Steve Grasse, Executive Creative Director/Partner, Gyro Worldwide Inc.

* Maureen Grise, Photo Editor, Sports Illustrated

* Phil Gurin, Producer, “The Weakest Link”

* Robert Halmi Jr., President and CEO, Rob Halmi Entertainment

* Deborah Henretta, President-Asian Markets, Procter & Gamble

* Richard Kirshenbaum, Chairman/Executive Creative Director, Kirshenbaum Bond & Partners

* Larry Kramer, Former President, CBS Digital Media and Founder, Marketwatch.com

* Steve Kroft, Correspondent, “60 Minutes” (CBS)

* Steven Leeds, Executive Vice President for Talent Relations, Sirius Satellite Radio

* Robert Light, Partner, Creative Artists Agency

* Arthur Liu, President and CEO, Multicultural Broadcasting Inc.

* Jennifer Ludden, NPR Foreign Correspondent

* Ann McGrath, Senior Editor, U.S. News & World Report

* Joe McNally, Photographer

* Jim Morris, President, Lucas Film Inc.

* Eric Mower, CEO and Chairman, Eric Mower and Associates

* Beth Mowins, Sportscaster, ESPN

* Jack Myers, Chief Economist and CEO, Myers Reports Inc.

* Michael Perlis, Partner, SOFTBANK Capital Partners

* Fred Silverman, President, The Fred Silverman Company

* John Sykes, President, MTV Network Development

* Dick Stockton, Sportscaster for Fox and Turner Sports

* Mike Terpin, President, InternetWire

* Mark Tinker, Emmy Award winning television director of “NYPD Blue” and “Deadwood”

* Mike Tirico, Sportscaster, ABC and ESPN

* Robin Toner, Front Page Political Correspondent, The New York Times

* Nick Trigony, President, Cox Broadcasting (retired)

* Joyce Tudryne, President, IRTS Foundation

* Barry Vetere, Founding Partner, Messner, Vetere, Berger, McNamee & Schmetterer Inc.

* Steve Bunin, Sportscaster, ESPN

* Jack Cognetta, Time Warner Sports Reporter & General Baller,

You guys should know I did everything I could to get him to do right by his grades this past year short of pulling from football and sports altogether........I monitored them weekly......tried to get him tutors.......tried to work with his teachers......

If not pulling him from sports made me a bad parent......then I guess I just am.

I dont exactly know what happened....he went from a 3.0 average student in his freshman and sophmore years to what happened last year........

You guys should know I did everything I could to get him to do right by his grades this past year short of pulling from football and sports altogether........I monitored them weekly......tried to get him tutors.......tried to work with his teachers......

If not pulling him from sports made me a bad parent......then I guess I just am.

I dont exactly know what happened....he went from a 3.0 average student in his freshman and sophmore years to what happened last year........

I don't think anything anybody is trying to call you a bad parent. It's just that the tone of your post made it seem like you thought his life was over because his football career is currently sidetracked. I understand your frustration at the injury, but football isn't everything.

As for his GPA, maybe monitoring things isn't good enough. In high school, I was pretty lazy but I knew that swift punishment was headed my way if I wasn't pulling something over a 3.8 on a quarterly basis. Perhaps there's a deeper problem, but I think you'd be surprised how motivated he becomes academically if there are TV or phone privileges at risk.

I don't think anything anybody is trying to call you a bad parent. It's just that the tone of your post made it seem like you thought his life was over because his football career is currently sidetracked. I understand your frustration at the injury, but football isn't everything.

As for his GPA, maybe monitoring things isn't good enough. In high school, I was pretty lazy but I knew that swift punishment was headed my way if I wasn't pulling something over a 3.8 on a quarterly basis. Perhaps there's a deeper problem, but I think you'd be surprised how motivated he becomes academically if there are TV or phone privileges at risk.

Swift punishment was coming your way if you did not pull over a 3.8 GPA? That is pretty high standards to hold a kid to. Who was your dad, Hitler?

You are not experiencing bad luck, your son is experiencing life.

Sometimes crap happens and you gotta deal with it.

Lay off the emphasis on FOOTBALL.

Explain to him that this injury is the very reason why his grades are important.

Live with your kids not through them.

Sorry to hear it John, but this might end up being a blessing in disguise.

The sooner you and your son realize that his life will be much, much, much longer than his football career (regardless of any injury), the better off he will be. Time to let him grow up and start thinking about what he would like to do with the rest of his life.

Swift punishment was coming your way if you did not pull over a 3.8 GPA? That is pretty high standards to hold a kid to. Who was your dad, Hitler?

Well my plan was for me to get into Yale, so the standards had to be high. I was accepted, but I ended up at Cornell. I've learned to appreciate the tough standards I was held to. When you get the ball rolling with a successful high school career, it opens doors, and my parents knew what I was capable of.

Sorry to hear it John, but this might end up being a blessing in disguise.

The sooner you and your son realize that his life will be much, much, much longer than his football career (regardless of any injury), the better off he will be. Time to let him grow up and start thinking about what he would like to do with the rest of his life.

I was going to post this, but looks like the early bird beat me to it.

Sometimes a setback like this can turn him around. The key for you is not to try to dwell on this as catastrophic, but as an opportunity. Don't patronize him, as it may backfire. Just nudge him to the right path, and he'll find his own way. Maybe now the girlfriend will also disapear.

If that's the case, you may as well round up every Asian & Indian parent and call them Hitler.

Sorry to hear about your son's injury...I hope he recovers quickly and that this doesn't lead to long term knee troubles.

Let me advise you as somebody who is only a couple of years older than your son. At this age, he's probably looking for a direction and his hobby (football) is his passion. Based on this post and a couple of earlier ones, it sounds like he's very good but not the type of transcendent talent that could play professionally one day. Therefore, he NEEDS other options. Maybe he's a great writer and just hasn't realized it. Maybe he's a latent organic chemistry whiz. If he hasn't been focusing on his studies, then now would be the perfect time to start since he's laid up.

To say "This in essence might finish things for him" isn't the correct outlook. His football career might be on hiatus, but that doesn't mean he's "finished". As they say, when one door closes another one opens. If his knee is blown out, his knee is blown out. That's already in the past. Look toward the future. Don't dwell on the implications of the injury.

Good advice .... very few people play football betond college (in an organized money paying league) and even few of those who do play for long. Your son needs to take the time to discover other facets of his life.

Perhaps this is hearing the lock click on a door that was never open to begin with. I'm sorry to hear about his injury, and i hope he recovers quickly and fully, but now he'll have to focus on what he's going to do with the rest of his life.

Well my plan was for me to get into Yale, so the standards had to be high. I was accepted, but I ended up at Cornell. I've learned to appreciate the tough standards I was held to. When you get the ball rolling with a successful high school career, it opens doors, and my parents knew what I was capable of.

Wow, pretty impressive. Why did you end up picking Cornell over Yale?