Who is your favorite BILLS backup QB of all time?

major

Mine will always be Frank Reich. I always felt he could come in and win the game if Kelly went down. My second favorite is Doug Flutie.

Who is yours??????

Assuming we are talking about real backups and not QBs who may have been #2 for short period of time, and then became the legit starter (like Edwards)...

Frank Reich

Daryle Lamonica

James Harris

Marlin Briscoe

Ed Rutkowski

Alex Van Pelt

Not saying they were the best, just my favorites.

Mine will always be Frank Reich. I always felt he could come in and win the game if Kelly went down. My second favorite is Doug Flutie.

Who is yours??????

1) Frank Reich

2) Who cares?

+1 :censored: Frank Reich led the greatest comeback in NFL playoff history. There is no question.

And had one of the greatest comebacks in college history to while at Maryland vs Miami. He came off the bench while at Maryland to help his team rally from 31 points behind in 1984. He backed up Boomer in college. Kind of funny. You know who was Kellys back up at Miami-Mark Richt (head coach for UGA).

Reich was freaking awesome as a backup----who can forget the Oilers comeback game and the Rams game early in the season on Monday night where he engineered the come from behind win late in the 4th...

Since Lamonica played a part in two Bills Championship seasons, I care quite a bit.

Nothing against Lamonia, Harris, Rutkowksi and Van Pelt. But the question was "who was my favoirte back up", and no other back up quarterback were favorites of mine. I guess I should have wrote:

2) None.

I was too young to appreciate what Lamonica did for the Bills, but I remember him being the "mad bomber" later for Oakland. And after him, during my big Bills - fan years, Fergy was the starter for 12 years and then Jimbo for 11 years. With those two starters being as tough and durable as they were, back ups never really meant much to me. But Frank Reich obviously played some huge games during the Bills hey days, similar to what you said about Lamonica during the Bills old AFL Championship days. I don't even remember watching the second AFL Championship on TV, in 1966, when I was 7, and didn't go to my first Bills game until I was 9 in '68, when Lamonica was already in Oakland and Kemp was pretty much finished.

I do remember Dennis Shaw having a great rookie season in what....1970 or 71?? What ever happened to him? When Lou Saban came back in '72, Shaw must have been his starting QB. Next thing you know Saban drafted Fergy in '73 and Joe was starting from game one that season. Does anyone know if Shaw went on to play for any other teams during the 70's??

Nothing against Lamonia, Harris, Rutkowksi and Van Pelt. But the question was "who was my favoirte back up", and no other back up quarterback were favorites of mine. I guess I should have wrote:

2) None.

I was too young to appreciate what Lamonica did for the Bills, but I remember him being the "mad bomber" later for Oakland. And after him, during my big Bills - fan years, Fergy was the starter for 12 years and then Jimbo for 11 years. With those two starters being as tough and durable as they were, back ups never really meant much to me. But Frank Reich obviously played some huge games during the Bills hey days, similar to what you said about Lamonica during the Bills old AFL Championship days. I don't even remember watching the second AFL Championship on TV, in 1966, when I was 7, and didn't go to my first Bills game until I was 9 in '68, when Lamonica was already in Oakland and Kemp was pretty much finished.

I do remember Dennis Shaw having a great rookie season in what....1970 or 71?? What ever happened to him? When Lou Saban came back in '72, Shaw must have been his starting QB. Next thing you know Saban drafted Fergy in '73 and Joe was starting from game one that season. Does anyone know if Shaw went on to play for any other teams during the 70's??

Here you go

Who is yours??????

gotta be frank reich. I love watching the wild card playoff come back vs the Oilers

The late, not so great, Matt Kofler will always have a special place in my Bills heart. He barely played, but I remember, having pneumonia, but forcing myself to go to a Bills/Raiders game in 1984 (IIRC). The Bills, who were very bad at the time, were gettting the crap kicked out of them. IIRC, they were down, something like 28-7, when Joe Ferguson got injured. Kofler came in, and led a frantic combeback, that came up just short. I think they lost like 31-28...it was a very exciting game though...

Otherwise, have to go with the obvious choices: David Hum, Matt Robinson and Dan Manucci...

What about Hamden? I like this guy. He's got good height, strong arm, accurate, team-first type of guy, totally supports Edwards much as Reich supported Kelly and only wants to see the team win games whether he is playing or not. True, we need to see more of what he can really do on the field when it counts, but all indications are that the guy can play.

IMO, Dennis Shaw's stats at the time were mainly the result of Marlin Briscoe. Shaw threw the pass up for grabs and Briscoe somehow came down with it. Briscoe was a real joy to watch. And remember, he wasn't that tall.

Among my friends at the time, Shaw going back to pass was referred to as "here comes another duck". He rarely through a tight spiral.

Rob Johnson. I liked him just fine as long as he stayed on the bench. Too bad he didn't stay there.

At first I thought you were serious.

I'll go with Reich. You guys can pick

up the DVD of "The Comeback" at

the Hall of Fame Store. Commercial

free.

Funny that Dennis Shaw and the late Matt Kofler were both 2nd round picks from San Diego State. They both had really week arms and put the ball up for grabs continuously. I was also at that Raiders game which was mentioned above in which Kofler led a frantic comeback. It was like God was smiling on him that day. Several of his passes were of the "wing it and pray" variety. It just so happened that on that day, our guys caught the balls and the Raiders didn't.

In answer to the question:

The Chroise

One of my pet Bills backup QBs is Bill Munson who played his last two NFL seasons with the Bills backing up Joe Ferguson. He played 16 seasons in the league and when he would come in for Fergy you could see what a savvy and resourceful pro he was. The arm was gone but he could still move the team. Just a real professional, like a poor man's Earl Morrall, which is a real complement.

I'll add also that Alex Van Pelt was not a great player or anything, clearly he only had the ability to be a backup.

But he's an example of a guy who got the absolute most out of his ability.

Yet, statistically-speaking he is among the worst Bills starting QBs when he was on the football field. [edit]

I'll add also that Alex Van Pelt was not a great player or anything, clearly he only had the ability to be a backup.

But he's an example of a guy who got the absolute most out of his ability.

Yet, statistically-speaking he is among the worst Bills starting QBs.

Therefore your point is...

Therefore your point is...

What's your point? That his short, chubby body "maxed out its ability" with a backward ball cap on and holding a clipboard? Since people usually come here to discuss football play, as in on the field, saying he was great at not playing is a nice little tap dance.

What's your point? That he his short, chubby body "maxed out its ability" with a backward ball cap on and holding a clipboard? Since people usually come here to discuss football play, as in on the field, saying he was great at not playing is a nice little tap dance.

Wasn't the topic "your favorite Bills backup QB"?

Favorite, not best

Backup, not starting

Stats are not usually a good way to judge a backup QB.

Wasn't the topic "your favorite Bills backup QB"?

Favorite, not best

Backup, not starting

Stats are not usually a good way to judge a backup QB.

He's the one that brought up "maximized his ability". That is what I was commenting on. In fact, I don't even disagree that Van Pelt may have indeed "maximized his ability". My comment was to the effect that his "maximization of ability" elevated him all the way to a damn poor QB, when he did play. I don't care if someone liked Van Pelt as a backup QB. I think he is a nice guy, myself. I find trying to play a semantics shell game to pretend that "maximized ability" really had no connection to his on field play to be confusing at best.