Best Beef on Weck in WNY

Just pin this post so that whenever the best wings or beef on weck discussion arises again everyone knows the correct answer. The Bar bil has no peer in wings or weck.

Thanks man. I'm glad to see a number of us agree. I do not make a trip to Buffalo without the obligatory 3 hour stop at the Bar Bill for weck, wings, and multiple pitchers.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bar Bill...East Aurora. God bless that place.

Can you still buy a mug at Bar Bills, and they store it there for you when you stop in? Used to be the beer in YOUR mug was cheaper.

Interesting reading:

Roadfood Road Trip - Buffalo & Rochester

In Rochester they stop at LDR CharPit and Nick Tahou's.

WAY overpriced idea and they have obviously not taken the Bills Home schedule into consideration!

I live in Wilmington NC and there's a place here that sells beef on Weck. I've had one a couple times and they're pretty good. He bakes his own kimmelweck rolls right in the place. From what I've heard, the guy is from Buffalo. He also sells, Haddock Fish Frys. Unfortuantely no wings or Salaens hot dogs.

Things I miss down here are wings. I lived in Rochester things I miss; Carbone's wings, Dinosaur Bar_B-Que, and whenever I'd get to Buffalo, Ted's hot's and their onion rings.

Somewhat true Promo but I've never seen kimmelweck rolls available anywhere but in Buffalo. So that's one thing that differentiates a Beef on Weck from a roast beef sandwich.

Every year this topic comes up. I love it. Everyone has their #1. My vote every year goes to Ekl's in OP. I went there in February when I was back and it was great as always. Right up there is Bar Bill in EA. Both are great. In the Southtowns, those are your winners.

:rolleyes::lol:

But, it's cash only, so make sure you bring some!! Get the big one, too... My GA born wife makes me drive out there to get her a Beef on Weck every time we're in Buff. We've talked about moving back up there and, if and when we do, she's dead set on EA for two reasons... Bar Bill & family down the road.

It is still cash only but they put in an atm there a few years ago.

Just pin this post so that whenever the best wings or beef on weck discussion arises again everyone knows the correct answer. The Bar bil has no peer in wings or weck.

Totally agree. Took my wife there for the first time last year. She was complaining all the way out to east Aurora for bar food when there are so many bar/restaurants in Lancaster where we live. Once she had the food she was hooked. Best wings ever.

Can you still buy a mug at Bar Bills, and they store it there for you when you stop in? Used to be the beer in YOUR mug was cheaper.

Interesting reading:

Roadfood Road Trip - Buffalo & Rochester

In Rochester they stop at LDR CharPit and Nick Tahou's.

WAY overpriced idea and they have obviously not taken the Bills Home schedule into consideration!

I dont know if you could still buy them anymore but they have a bunch of mugs on shelves behind the bar with people's names on them. I always wondered why they had them.

Steve's Pig & Ox Roast on Ridge Rd. Lakawanna. You won't go wrong.

Frank's Grille in Lancaster is pretty good too.

PTR

Nice to see Frank's mentioned here a couple times - good wings too - I grew up in Lancaster and for years whenever I go back I make sure to stop there and get my fix.

Was in town last week and on July 3rd after the downtown Lancaster beer tent closed at 11 PM we walked to a bar downtown and on a whim I said I wonder if Frank's is open - got there just before the kichen was closed and finished off a BOW and double order wings in record time :rolleyes:

BTW you can order lbs of the roast beef and au jus to pick up and take home if you're having a party or get together...

Thanks man. I'm glad to see a number of us agree. I do not make a trip to Buffalo without the obligatory 3 hour stop at the Bar Bill for weck, wings, and multiple pitchers.

Absolutely agree. The good news for me is that I am going to EA in two weeks for reunion weekend! We hit the Bill every night that we are home for the holidays or events like this. And we always get the weck and wings each night. If I still lived in EA, I would be about 300 pounds by now.

Nice to see Frank's mentioned here a couple times - good wings too - I grew up in Lancaster and for years whenever I go back I make sure to stop there and get my fix.

Was in town last week and on July 3rd after the downtown Lancaster beer tent closed at 11 PM we walked to a bar downtown and on a whim I said I wonder if Frank's is open - got there just before the kichen was closed and finished off a BOW and double order wings in record time :rolleyes:

BTW you can order lbs of the roast beef and au jus to pick up and take home if you're having a party or get together...

Hey Steve! I was in town as well over the weekend....working on my parent's house. I never had a chance to head down to the festivities in Lancaster. Too bad I missed it. I did bring some pierogi's home and had them last night!

Hope all is well...

Anne

If you venture farther south the Beef and Barrel in Olean has an outstanding BoW.

:rolleyes:

Weck platter, with German potato salad, every time I'm in there. They bake their own rolls (along with all their desserts, which we unfortunately never have room for) and have two carving stations out front in the restaurant.

When you get right down to it, it's just roast beef on a bun. There's no recipe you have to nail. There are likely dozens of places that make a good BOW. It's like Philly. You can get a great hoagie almost anywhere....even at the Wawa.

PTR

You do have to find the weck roll... I suppose it ain't hard to make over a salted kaiser roll.

Ah, yes. I forgot about Coleman's when I was checking various restaurant menus online. Here's Colemans....

Beef on Wick

Slow roasted beef served on a kimmelwick roll with a side of au jus, with fries…$7.99

Coleman's in fact does have it...went on Friday night and it was decent...Beef was done too much though...but it was still tasty....

My GF did suggest trying Clark's next time...

Little antidote.. My GA wife has almost become a total Buffalonian. After my second daughter was born.. I'm talking just born -- like 30 minutes old -- she made me drive up to the local Buffalo owned restaurant and get her a big Beef on Weck. She chowed that bastard down right in the delivery room.

My GF did suggest trying Clark's next time...

Clarks does not list a BOW on their menu online, just a roast beef sandwich on an onion roll. That's why I didn't suggest it before. Has she had a BOW their before, and they don't list it?

Hey Steve! I was in town as well over the weekend....working on my parent's house. I never had a chance to head down to the festivities in Lancaster. Too bad I missed it. I did bring some pierogi's home and had them last night!

Hope all is well...

Anne

Hey Anne - you were in town and didn't run the race?! I was going to go down to the Boy's Club after but couldn't get up after a long night :thumbdown: Saw Jeff F by the rides - he just had a baby...