Best Beef on Weck in WNY

I get such a kick out of every damn place around that proclaims on their signage, "best wings in town". And they're more often than not, just plain terrible.

It's a joke. WHY do so many have such trouble making the basic frigging Buffalo-style chicken wing. Jesus, if you don't have a decent internet connection, the recipe is right on the label of the Frank's hot sauce bottle! It's as if it's just too simple. It can't be that easy - right? These hack wingmongers are compelled to add a million unnessary ingredients.

I asked the owner of one of the local establishments why they make 'em the way they do. His reply was that everyone has their own way of doing it - that's what makes them unique. Fine. But quit calling them "Buffalo Wings" for crissakes. Call them Retarded Atlanta Halfwit wings or something else. I don't put Heinz ketchup on a slice of ham and call it Kansas City style barbeque...

My argument, exactly. There are a variety of interesting and good ways to prepare wings. But "Buffalo Wings" or "Buffalo-style Wings" should mean something. It's VERY easy to do.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exiled, did Wiechecs really burn down? when? Terrible shame then. I knew the family that owned that place, just a terrific family. Spent many an hr at that bar. As a matter of fact, watched the Giants-49s NFC title game there after 51-3, man that place was kicking.

I think the first one did... Years ago when I was a child... Had to be early 1980's?? I know they may have re-opened years later... Not the the same I heard. I am not sure and I am just going on memory... It is had to find a search on it.

??

I thought I had put this in the post, but I must have left it out.

Chicago Dogs - I like them better than Ted's - maybe....sometimes. Several places around Atlanta feature this Chicago favorite. If you've never had one, they're a steamed Vienna Beef frank, served in a poppy seed hot dog bun, with dill pickle spears, neon green relish, tomato wedges, onions, sport peppers, mustard, and toped with celery salt. Absolutely delicious.

No Ketchup -ever! That's the equivilant to baked, breaded Buffalo" wings. Here's an image:

http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/images/chicagodog.jpg

Atlantans wanting Ted's - here it is, on Windy Hill in Marietta:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/9/394214/resta...d-Hots-Marietta

Same thing as Ted's. Sahlens over lump charcoal.

About the only Buffalo thing I can't get or produce in Atlanta is Mighty Taco, or anything even remotely like it. I've been trying for 30 years to duplicate the recipe, and can't come close. What the hell is in those things?

Still haven't eaten today. Now I'm starving. I better go eat something.

I know this is bad... But:

I can't eat anything but an all beef hot dog (I especially like Best's kosher... Even though I think the company may be in trouble... They lost the contract at Sox Park to Vienna Beef! ;) )... Maybe a Sahlen's and they even start to make me gag.

In order of the all beef:

Best's

Chicago Red Hots

Nathan's

Vienna Beef

I'll give a little plug to some good people but Hoak's on the Lake on Route 5 in Hamburg is really good and the sunsets there are amazing.

Decades ago, I worked at Foit's, down Lakeshore Rd from there! Hoak's and the Cloverbank Hotel were my father's second homes. ;)

About the only Buffalo thing I can't get or produce in Atlanta is Mighty Taco, or anything even remotely like it. I've been trying for 30 years to duplicate the recipe, and can't come close. What the hell is in those things?

I happened to run into a beef & cheese burrito from Mighty where the ingredients in the beef hadn't been adequately mixed. I tasted cinnamon powder.