CBS Sportsline blurb on Whitner, Scott and Byrd

I know it's the depths of the off-season, and I know these board writers are churning the same old material as they struggle in vain to justify their salaries. But I read this note about Byrd, and.....well, it started out okay. And then came the part about our starting safety lineup being Scott and Byrd, with Whitner relegated to the bench.

"Rookie safety Jairus Byrd missed OTA and minicamp work due to his college exam schedule, leaving Donte Whitner to take most of the first-unit reps at free safety. But the coaching staff is eager to see Byrd, a ball-hawking cornerback at Oregon drafted in the second round, in training camp at free. If he beats Whitner out, then Whitner, who is being supplanted at strong safety where he has started three seasons by veteran Bryan Scott, will be relegated to a utility role."

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but does this seem clinically insane to more than just me? You're going to put your #1 overall pick from just three years ago on the pine for a journeyman and a raw rookie?

Anyway, go ahead and flame away, I guess. My take on it is (1) it's The Million-Dollar-Man Ko Simpson that ought to be worried and (2) whomever wrote this seems to have swallowed his brain along with a pound of ExLax.

I know it's the depths of the off-season, and I know these board writers are churning the same old material as they struggle in vain to justify their salaries. But I read this note about Byrd, and.....well, it started out okay. And then came the part about our starting safety lineup being Scott and Byrd, with Whitner relegated to the bench.

"Rookie safety Jairus Byrd missed OTA and minicamp work due to his college exam schedule, leaving Donte Whitner to take most of the first-unit reps at free safety. But the coaching staff is eager to see Byrd, a ball-hawking cornerback at Oregon drafted in the second round, in training camp at free. If he beats Whitner out, then Whitner, who is being supplanted at strong safety where he has started three seasons by veteran Bryan Scott, will be relegated to a utility role."

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but does this seem clinically insane to more than just me? You're going to put your #1 overall pick from just three years ago on the pine for a journeyman and a raw rookie?

Anyway, go ahead and flame away, I guess. My take on it is (1) it's The Million-Dollar-Man Ko Simpson that ought to be worried and (2) whomever wrote this seems to have swallowed his brain along with a pound of ExLax.

Dumb-ass! 'Nuff said.

(2) whomever wrote this seems to have swallowed his brain along with a pound of ExLax.

If Byrd starts, Whitner gets his SS starting job back and Scott moves to the bench. On dime packages that require a 3rd safety, Donte will move to a utility role and Scott will move in at SS...but no way does Donte get benched in the basic package

whitner would go back to SS and Byrd to FS if anything.... Its not uncommon though for them to bring in Scott to cover TEs and stuff because he has more size then whitner, byrd or KO. but thats mostly on passing downs that they'd have all 3 of them out there. horrible article...

Yes, that is the way good coaches do things. The best player, at that position plays no matter where he was drafted. The problem with the Bills is, that we play players because of where they were drafted not because they are the best players.

This is why we have a lot of draft choices still on the team, we can not seem to understand that the best football players should be playing and not the best draft choices. If Whitner can not play up to the best at the position then he should be backing up or cut. That's the way good coaches do things. The best football players play and the rest watch and learn.

Seems like Wilson, Simpson, or Wendling will be on the chopping block during training camp.I don't see us keeping 6 people at the S position. I also don't believe that Scott is better than a healthy Whitner. If he is, Whitner is too overpaid to be a backup and should be cut.

As has been noted, Whitner is sure to start at one of the safety spots. I honestly don't care which one, as long as they start the best of the remaining safeties at the other spot. I think Whitner will have a very good year at either spot, if he is allowed to play that position all year, and given a little bit of freedom. Whitner's versatility has been important in keeping the D intact through injuries, the last couple of years. (Those who know the DB position understand he has been a Swiss-Army DB, and not a safety for two years.) While his diversity and unselfishness has helped the team, it hasn't helped Donte's numbers, or his value in the eyes of less sophisticated observers. (Harrumph!)

Yes, that is the way good coaches do things. The best player, at that position plays no matter where he was drafted. The problem with the Bills is, that we play players because of where they were drafted not because they are the best players.

This is why we have a lot of draft choices still on the team, we can not seem to understand that the best football players should be playing and not the best draft choices. If Whitner can not play up to the best at the position then he should be backing up or cut. That's the way good coaches do things. The best football players play and the rest watch and learn.

I think the issue that everyone on this board has is that Whitner is fairly obviously our best safety right now. Can you name an example of a player who is starting on our team due to their draft position rather than talent?

if we played players due to draft position, we never would of benched losman (1st round) for edwards (3rd round) or played Jason Peters who was undrafted or have Fred Jackson play over those running backs that we drafted that never saw the field. just to name a few i'm sure i missed a few

yup-i agree, this article is sh--. I read it the other day. What is this guy talking about? We are just gonna not play Whitner if Byrd does well? I doubt it- you would put scott on the bench

This guy is an idiot. SS is Donte's natural position, and we drafted Byrd so we could eventually move him back. The only options last year were to keep Donte at SS and have Scott play FS, or switch them around.

Likely written by someone who has about 1/12th the knowledge of the Bills that the avg poster here has. It's amazing that some of these folks have jobs in sports journalism......

You sum it up pretty well. As an outsider looking in, he probably read an article somewhere stating Whitner has been moved to FS and Scott will man the SS spot and that the Bills will also be taking a strong look at Byrd for the FS spot as well. He must have assumed the loser of the FS battle will be relegated to the bench.

His assumption is wrong, obviously. Whitner will be moved back to SS. In the event that Byrd doesn't pan out or isn't quite ready to be a starter, then at least DW will have had some reps at FS before the season begins.

Why would they draft Byrd in 2nd round, who can only play FS, and not hope to have him start?

Why would they draft Byrd in 2nd round, who can only play FS, and not hope to have him start?

I'm guessing they are preparing for Byrd to eventually start at FS, with Donte at SS.

This year, however, they may be planning on starting Scott at SS and Donte at FS, unless Byrd really shows his stuff in TC/Preseason.

I'm guessing they are preparing for Byrd to eventually start at FS, with Donte at SS.

This year, however, they may be planning on starting Scott at SS and Donte at FS, unless Byrd really shows his stuff in TC/Preseason.

Yes.

It's Scott + Simpson that are going to be relegated to utility roles or released, not Donte. There are many worthless "journalists" out there.

Likely written by someone who has about 1/12th the knowledge of the Bills that the avg poster here has. It's amazing that some of these folks have jobs in sports journalism......

If, and I repeat If, he's a professional writer he was probably making plans for his vacation and suddenly realized he had a deadline. :thumbsup:

The guy probably got the idea that Whitner sucks by reading this board. :thumbsup:

:thumbdown: Too True!

Link

Seems like Wilson, Simpson, or Wendling will be on the chopping block during training camp.I don't see us keeping 6 people at the S position. I also don't believe that Scott is better than a healthy Whitner. If he is, Whitner is too overpaid to be a backup and should be cut.

Wendling is one of the best ST players in the league. My money is on Simpson. I'm sure he has some value and I'd rather see them get something for him.

I don't get why people think they couldn't start Byrd at SS at all.

You sum it up pretty well. As an outsider looking in, he probably read an article somewhere stating Whitner has been moved to FS and Scott will man the SS spot and that the Bills will also be taking a strong look at Byrd for the FS spot as well. He must have assumed the loser of the FS battle will be relegated to the bench.

His assumption is wrong, obviously. Whitner will be moved back to SS. In the event that Byrd doesn't pan out or isn't quite ready to be a starter, then at least DW will have had some reps at FS before the season begins.

Very well said. I think that is exactly what happened.

I don't get why people think they couldn't start Byrd at SS at all.

While Byrd might be able to play the position, one has to ask "why?". He is known as a ball hawk, and the best place for his skill-set is FS. I doubt he could be a better SS than Whitner, anyway, so why screw around with it.

I expect if the Bills get hit hard in the secondary again, players will be filling in at multiple DB positions.

While Byrd might be able to play the position, one has to ask "why?". He is known as a ball hawk, and the best place for his skill-set is FS. I doubt he could be a better SS than Whitner, anyway, so why screw around with it.

I expect if the Bills get hit hard in the secondary again, players will be filling in at multiple DB positions.

Give him a year at SS and then move him to FS next year. JMO

Give him a year at SS and then move him to FS next year. JMO

Why? The Bills have two guys who can play SS in Whitner and Scott. Now you want them to take their FS of the future and put him at SS for a year? How does this help the DB situation, or Byrd's development. If anything, I think they may use Byrd as a nickel CB if they need him before sticking him at SS.

First you confuse Brookings with Brooks, and now this. Sign back out and sign back in under your Crayonz account and this will all sound more reasonable.

Right. But I thought they made it pretty clear that they don't like Whitner as SS.

At least that's the impression I got.

The other thing, I don't believe tha Bills need any more 5'10" DBs, particularly as SS.

Why? The Bills have two guys who can play SS in Whitner and Scott. Now you want them to take their FS of the future and put him at SS for a year? How does this help the DB situation, or Byrd's development. If anything, I think they may use Byrd as a nickel CB if they need him before sticking him at SS.

First you confuse Brookings with Brooks, and now this. Sign back out and sign back in under your Crayonz account and this will all sound more reasonable.

If he is good enough to start then they should put him on the field. I believe Donte will be the best FS at least this year. I see nothing wrong with giving him a lot of time on the field. Playing him at CB won't give him much experience. I'm sure there are ways to get him into position to intercept on passing plays. I don't buy the too small argument. JMO.

Right. But I thought they made it pretty clear that they don't like Whitner as SS.

At least that's the impression I got.

The other thing, I don't believe tha Bills need any more 5'10" DBs, particularly as SS.

I never got the impression they didn't like Donte at SS. In fact, I have never heard anything other than praise for Donte from the FO, no matter what role he played in the D.

I agree they probably would like a bigger SS as Donte is not the IDEAL size (but he isn't too small, either). And they have talked about, potentially, moving Whitner to SS.

The DB situation has been very fluid for the past two years (primarily due to injuries), with Whitner having to play out of position much of the time. I think they want to try and stabilize that and with the DBs they had before the draft, Scott at SS and Whitner at FS was the best combo on the roster. Simpson had an off year...until he had a few really good games after coming back from his demotion.

Right now, I think Whitner is the best SS and FS on the team, so the real question is going to be, how do they get the best (and most stable) combo on the field.

Scott is a decent SS when he plays close to the line, and he is pretty good covering TEs.

Ko shows flashes of real quality, but he also makes a lot of mistakes. He came to the team with a reputation for having a nose for the ball, and looked to be backing it up in his rookie year. The injury seemed to take a toll on his already marginal speed. I think this TC/Preseason is make or break for Simpson. He could retake the starting FS spot, or be cut. I think it is really up in the air.

Byrd is a rookie, and you know how this staff feels about starting rookies, right off the bat. They will do it, but they don't like to do it. With McKelvin (and Corner) being so young and inexperienced, I'm guessing they try to keep as much experience as possible at the safety spots. Of course if he blows up in TC/Preseason, it is anyone's guess.

IMO, the best possible combo for this year, would be Ko returning to form and starting at FS with Donte at SS. That way, Byrd can back up Ko and Scott can rest Donte, (or play with him against certain teams, when the matchup is better).

But if Ko is done (and I suspect he may be), then it comes down to Scott or Byrd. Scott is a vet and fairly solid, if unspectacular. He would play SS, Donte at FS and Byrd would relieve at FS with Donte backing up Scott at SS. (Whitner is used to playing most every defensive play, and can fill at either position.) Maybe Byrd gets the occasional look at CB, too. This may be the best plan for the future. Grooming Byrd to take over at FS and either trading Whitner or moving him back to SS, down the line. I just don't see Scott as the long-term solution to the Bills SS situation.

If Byrd blows up then maybe it turns into he (at FS) and Donte (at SS), with Scott and Simpson in the backup roles.

I guess what I am saying is, it's complicated and I can't believe anyone on the Bills is certain how it will play out until they see who is where, in TC. At least they have some quality options.

Dean, the nice thing about your analysis (maybe that's overstating it, but it's a boatload more analytical than the craptastic post on CBS Sportsline that got me going on this issue), is that it makes me realize how deep we are at safety. That's a great line up to juggle. Almost like....er.....the front office....you know...PLANNED IT.

(Don't get me going on linebackers - I'm trying to enjoy a glass of Aussie chardonnay, and LBs are a total buzzkiller subject.)

I agree that Simpson is probably toast, but a lot of people wrote Yobouty off last July, and a lot of people ate a lot of turd-burgers. Man, we're not even talking about Wilson and Wendling. I'd hate to lose Wilson, but he may be the odd man out here. Maybe there's a position for him on the Ravens or Jets, like Leonhard.

I wish idiots like the anonymous dolt on CBS Sportsline could provide a little more justification (or at least have the nut sack to post their byline), but that's asking too much, I guess.

Whitner was on the NFL Network the other night. He said due to injuries in the past he was moved all over the field. He is looking forward to playing Free Safety EXCLUSIVLY this year. Next year who knows.

If he is good enough to start then they should put him on the field. I believe Donte will be the best FS at least this year. I see nothing wrong with giving him a lot of time on the field. Playing him at CB won't give him much experience. I'm sure there are ways to get him into position to intercept on passing plays. I don't buy the too small argument. JMO.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you...but why would you start Byrd at SS? He's a natural FS, and Whitner and Scott are both natural SS's. Why would you swap them?

I don't really see why everyone is so ging ho re Donte. He is ok, not great, and he makes almost no plays that change the game.

Solid SS, nothing more, nothing less. He can certainly lose his starting job IMO, it is not at all outside the realm of possibility.

The FO will keep him in as long as possible to justify the high pick they used on him, of course. And DJ is their B word so he wiull likely retain hins job. But it is not due to spectacular play at all.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you...but why would you start Byrd at SS? He's a natural FS, and Whitner and Scott are both natural SS's. Why would you swap them?

No hes not, he is a corner that they hope, repeat hope, can transition to safety in the pros. Everette Brown was and is a pass-'rusher.

But, we need dbs, right, high up in every draft. Or it would just not be the Billls and DJ.

Incredible. DJ if you look at him, looks mentally challenged, doesn't he? Then he opens his mouth....

No hes not, he is a corner that they hope, repeat hope, can transition to safety in the pros. Everette Brown was and is a pass-'rusher.

But, we need dbs, right, high up in every draft. Or it would just not be the Billls and DJ.

Incredible. DJ if you look at him, looks mentally challenged, doesn't he? Then he opens his mouth....

He's played safety before, so you're wrong to restrict him to just a DB.

IF you remember our season last year, DB was "hurtin for certain", so ya, DB is an important pos. Donte was pulled this way and that all season long, giving him no chance to play his natural position.

Being able to fill our roster with quality back ups at these positions gives our D a better chance at succession, whether you like it or not.

And WTF does DJ's looks have to do with anything?? I'd expect that out of my 4 yr. old. That little statement right there discredits anything else you posted. You sound like an immature jerk when you resort to pointing out someone's physical stature/appearance.... :thumbsup: