CBS Sportsline blurb on Whitner, Scott and Byrd

He's played safety before, so you're wrong to restrict him to just a DB.
Huh? Safeties ARE DB's

Jairus Byrd was a 3 year starter at CB at Oregon. He did not play S.

If you're gonna quote my post, please do the courtesy of reading it. No one said he played S at Oregon...but a safety is a DB...a defensive back :thumbsup:

No need to be a dick. I was following up to billsrcursed assertion that Byrd played some S. He did not play S in college.

Yet he was a S all the way through High School, and his limited speed and ball hawking abilities project him more towards the S position.

No need to be a dick. I was following up to billsrcursed assertion that Byrd played some S. He did not play S in college.

then you should've quoted him and left me out of it...because what I said had nothing do with that assertion

No hes not, he is a corner that they hope, repeat hope, can transition to safety in the pros. Everette Brown was and is a pass-'rusher.

But, we need dbs, right, high up in every draft. Or it would just not be the Billls and DJ.

Incredible. DJ if you look at him, looks mentally challenged, doesn't he? Then he opens his mouth....

The Bills depth chart does have him listed as FS behind Whitner and Simpson. It just seems to me that you'd want to get your best players on the field. A lot of people think it would be a bad idea to use him at SS while ignoring the fact that Whitner started at SS and is moving to FS. Unless they plan to move Whitner back to SS, a move Donte wouldn't be very happy about I'd imagine because he's worked all offseason preparing for a change, putting Byrd on the field at SS isn't out of the question. My original post about this is why does everyone think it's not a possibility. I didn't say they would, it's just a possibility. If he shows enough that he could play that position they'll do it. That's all.

I know it's the depths of the off-season, and I know these board writers are churning the same old material as they struggle in vain to justify their salaries. But I read this note about Byrd, and.....well, it started out okay. And then came the part about our starting safety lineup being Scott and Byrd, with Whitner relegated to the bench.

"Rookie safety Jairus Byrd missed OTA and minicamp work due to his college exam schedule, leaving Donte Whitner to take most of the first-unit reps at free safety. But the coaching staff is eager to see Byrd, a ball-hawking cornerback at Oregon drafted in the second round, in training camp at free. If he beats Whitner out, then Whitner, who is being supplanted at strong safety where he has started three seasons by veteran Bryan Scott, will be relegated to a utility role."

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but does this seem clinically insane to more than just me? You're going to put your #1 overall pick from just three years ago on the pine for a journeyman and a raw rookie?

Anyway, go ahead and flame away, I guess. My take on it is (1) it's The Million-Dollar-Man Ko Simpson that ought to be worried and (2) whomever wrote this seems to have swallowed his brain along with a pound of ExLax.

I was the first one here to mention that Whitner could be benched and I'm glad that sentiment is spreading. Whitner is perhaps the most overrated player in the NFL. I don't ever remember him making a game changing play in his 42 or so games as a Bill, and when you consider that that was going to be his primary roll as the #8 pick overall, well you can see why the coaches would have had it with him and bench him if he continues to be a merely average to below average safety. Everyone knows that this coaching staff has no more wiggle room, it's time for everyone to put up or sit your ass on the pine. I would not be surprised in the least bit, and I'd in fact cheer the move.

I was the first one here to mention that Whitner could be benched and I'm glad that sentiment is spreading. Whitner is perhaps the most overrated player in the NFL. I don't ever remember him making a game changing play in his 42 or so games as a Bill, and when you consider that that was going to be his primary roll as the #8 pick overall, well you can see why the coaches would have had it with him and bench him if he continues to be a merely average to below average safety. Everyone knows that this coaching staff has no more wiggle room, it's time for everyone to put up or sit your ass on the pine. I would not be surprised in the least bit, and I'd in fact cheer the move.

So, being a top 10 safety means you are overrated? Because NFL scouts rate him as a top 10 safety. You're not one of those people who thinks their opinions means more than actual NFL scouts, are you? In fact, Whitner is a top 5 in-the-box safety, who is very good in zone coverage, but only average in man. Of course, you wouldn't get that, because you expect your SSs to fly around the field catching INTs.

I don't really see why everyone is so ging ho re Donte. He is ok, not great, and he makes almost no plays that change the game.

Solid SS, nothing more, nothing less. He can certainly lose his starting job IMO, it is not at all outside the realm of possibility.

The FO will keep him in as long as possible to justify the high pick they used on him, of course. And DJ is their B word so he wiull likely retain hins job. But it is not due to spectacular play at all.

I don't get it either. If he was so spectacular as SS, they wouldn't have decided they could get by with Bryan Scott at that position.

With all the DBs drafted the last four years, you really don't seem to have much if you are swapping Whitner around

and attempting to piece together your safety situation. In addition, drafting another very high DB/Safety really says that

they don't like what they already have there, and Byrd must be projected to start so Whitner would be moved yet again, which would probably be best as he has 2 INTs and 6 PDefs in three seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/players/dontewhitner/profile?id=WHI720119

I don't get it either. If he was so spectacular as SS, they wouldn't have decided they could get by with Bryan Scott at that position.

They wanted to put the best players on the field. They felt the Scott-Whitner tandem was better than the Whitner-Simpson one. It wasn't that they thought that Scott was better himself, but that the tandem was better

They wanted to put the best players on the field. They felt the Scott-Whitner tandem was better than the Whitner-Simpson one. It wasn't that they thought that Scott was better himself, but that the tandem was better

OK, that makes sense.

Top 10 NFL picks aren't supposed to be moved around to playing another position in their third season. Whitner seems like a DB who has no solid position but is adequate at playing SS, FS, and nickel CB. Yes he's versatile, but taking another safety high says a lot about DW. Last year he was exposed as being too small to handle playing near the LOS. The natural move is to make him a FS, which is Byrd's position.

He is most certainly not a bust, but he hasn't lived up to expectations either.

Top 10 NFL picks aren't supposed to be moved around to playing another position in their third season. Whitner seems like a DB who has no solid position but is adequate at playing SS, FS, and nickel CB. Yes he's versatile, but taking another safety high says a lot about DW. Last year he was exposed as being too small to handle playing near the LOS. The natural move is to make him a FS, which is Byrd's position.

UH... NO

Whitner is coming off his second season and has been one of the better young defenders in the league. He has good size, strength and athleticism. He is a hard-nosed safety who is better versus the run than defending the pass. He is often inverted and in the box in the Bills' defensive scheme. He shows great instincts, a good feel for angles and the ability to leverage the ball. He uses his hands well and can work through trash to stay alive to the pile. Whitner is a strong tackler who maintains good body position in the open field. He has good range off the hash, filling the alley or making plays across the field. He is best to jam receivers off the line of scrimmage in combination-zone coverages, but isn't as effective in pure man schemes. He has good foot agility, balance and quickness in space. Plus, he can redirect and close well to the ball. He isn't an outstanding coverage defender, but often he is used in the box and not in a ball hawking mode. Whitner has been very effective in the Bills' defensive philosophy and as a special team's contributor.

I WISH PEOPLE WOULD DO A LITTLE RESEARCH BEFORE THEY SAY SOMETHING SO EASILY REFUTED BY A QUICK GOOGLE.

With all the DBs drafted the last four years, you really don't seem to have much if you are swapping Whitner around

and attempting to piece together your safety situation. In addition, drafting another very high DB/Safety really says that

they don't like what they already have there, and Byrd must be projected to start so Whitner would be moved yet again, which would probably be best as he has 2 INTs and 6 PDefs in three seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/players/dontewhitner/profile?id=WHI720119

BECAUSE BRYAN SCOTT CAN'T PLAY FS.

...IIf he beats Whitner out, then Whitner, who is being supplanted at strong safety where he has started three seasons by veteran Bryan Scott, will be relegated to a utility role."...

Donte Whitner as made some huge game-changing plays during his 3 year career so far. Um, let's see, there was that one play he made......or, was it in that other game when he......oh wait, I know, remember that awesome play he made against.......Ok, Ok, I've got it now, I remember when Whitner.......Oh what the hell, you know the plays I'm talking about right?

Whitner was a horrible number 8 overall draft choice by Marv Levy and his little group of inner-circle jerks. He's still a young veteran, and he could turn into the player Levy told us would be the "center of our defense" for the next 10 years, but to this point, he is basically invisible during the course of the game. I could care less if Scott sends him to the bench sometime this season, if he doesn't start intercepting the ball or knocking running backs out within a couple yards of the line of scrimmage on a regular basis, as a top 10 first round safety should have already been doing by now.

Bingo. To be honest, I'm a little surprised Simpson is still here, and I'd be absolutely stunned if he makes the final roster.

Whitner was moved around in his second season, as the defensive backfield was ravaged. Donte is the most versatile DB on the team, so the coaches move him to where he can best help stabilize the D. He was moved again, this past season, as Simpson struggled, and the coaches decided the tandem of Scott/Whitner was better than Whitner/Wilson or other alternatives. Whitner also struggled a little, last season, after he returned from his injury.

You may not feel that teams should move a top pick, but the Bills coaches disagree. Argue with Perry. Donte is willing to play where he is asked to play.

The "expsed as too small" remark is pretty much rubbish. He has always been good in the box, except for a few games last year, post injury.

Bingo. To be honest, I'm a little surprised Simpson is still here, and I'd be absolutely stunned if he makes the final roster.

I see our S depth chart on Opening day as

SS-Whitner-Scott-Wendling

FS-Byrd-Wilson

That's assuming Byrd is as good as the coaches think. If not, then Donte will move to the starting role at FS until Byrd is ready