Oct 2002 - The story of Dick Jauron "Coward"-gate

... was WRONGLY considered as a noodle-armed ....

Get Pennington out of the wind and the cold and he has plenty of strength in his arm to get the job done. The Dolphins greatly improved their personnel this year, had the number one draft choice and went from having no quarterback to having a very fine quarterback.

If we switched coaching staffs with the Dolphins last season, the Bills win the AFC East and the Dolphins finish last. That's how big of a difference coaching was. Can't make it any clearer than that.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we switched coaching staffs with the Dolphins last season, the Bills win the AFC East and the Dolphins finish last. That's how big of a difference coaching was. Can't make it any clearer than that.

Right. I'm sure the fact that we had a 2nd year QB and another who has played himself out of the NFL in 5 years while the Fins had a veteran QB who has been to the playoffs before had nothing to do with it. :ph34r:

No coach wins with poor line play and poor quarterback play. Can't make it any clearer than that.

Right. I'm sure the fact that we had a 2nd year QB and another who has played himself out of the NFL in 5 years while the Fins had a veteran QB who has been to the playoffs before had nothing to do with it. :ph34r:

Ravens, Falcons.

No coach wins with poor line play and poor quarterback play. Can't make it any clearer than that.

Perhaps it's the idiot coaches' schemes and game plans that put the line and QB in impossible positions? You can't be serious with this stuff, can you? This is proof positive that there were a couple Jet fans still supporting Kotite to the dying end.

I don't know about first, but at worst our record would have been reversed IMO.

7 losing seasons in 8 years. That's a horrendous success rate, even for a sport like baseball. Jauron nuthuggers, answer this: if your girlfriend disappeared for 8 weekends without telling you where she was, and 7 of those weekends she cheated on you, why would you expect that on the 9th weekend she wasn't cheating on you? Moreover, why would you still be with her?

dick jauron has had 7 of 8 losing seasons as a head coach, many of those losses stemming directly from poor game day coaching or ill prepared players. Why do you expect that season 9 will be different? The better question is, why are the Bills still with jauron? We're not going anywhere with a proven loser.

Actually, if one straight up compares the two coaches first 8 full seasons without special qualifiers and arbitrary exceptions...

In Belichick's first 8 years, his team won 61 games. Jauron has won 56. Belichick had won 4 playoff games by then including a Super Bowl. Jauron has only been to the playoffs one time and his team got destroyed at home.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/BeliBi0.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/JaurDi0.htm

I find these stats to be very noteworthy. Why? Because it shows something about Jauron -- and what he does with the talent on hand. Over an 8 year stretch Belichick only managed to win 5 more games than Jauron. Those 8 years included a couple of playoff seasons (including a Super Bowl run). Taken over the longer haul, it reveals that when BB's teams have been good, they have been VERY good, but when bad, VERY bad. So what am I saying? I guess that Jauron may be better at dealing with a sorry roster than is BB but less able to win when he has all (or most) of the pieces in place.

I think Jauron's conservative style actually does well for him when saddled with inferior talent: the philosophy is basically to keep it close and hope to pull it out in the 4th quarter. That's why I actually give him high marks in 2006-2007 for getting this seriously undermanned team to a 7-9 record, when the team probably wasn't even that good. My fear is that he is more of a damage control sort of coach rather than the guy to lead you to the Promised Land. We certainly saw glimpses of that last year when the team seriously underachieved after their 5-1 start.

The problem with your comparison above [edit: Ramius], is my girlfriend has complete control over whether or not she cheats on me. It does not depend upon other people doing their job...either she cares about me, or she doesn't.

Winning in the NFL takes a whole host of people doing their job. The explanation for Dick Jauron's past failures boils down to this, for me: No lines, no quarterback, no wins. It doesn't come as a surprise, and it still wouldn't even if it were Belichick, Holmgren, Parcells or anyone else. Nobody wins with poor play from the game's pivotal positions...Jauron has been saddled with that his entire career.

I really can not defend jauron. History tells us he will probably cost you 2-3 games per year. With that being said, more then anything else last year, I think the thing that cost us was the play of our qbs. Things started going in the tank when they started making game changing turnovers. Edwards imo gave the game away to the dolphins the first time, the jets game when Edwards throws a pick 6 when they going into the score, the 49ers game when neither qb could do anything, the Cleveland game where Edwards gave one of the worst/most cowardly qb efforts I have ever seen, not to be outdone, the 2nd Miami game where Loserman made some throws that were so bad that I did not think it was possible for an nfl qb to miss his target time & time again by that much, to finally the jets 2nd game. DJ was not being conservative at the end. All he asked was that his egghead qb to do a simple rollout & if the play is not there take off & slide for a few yards. As we all know (*^*&%^$^#choked & fumbled the game away. No coach in the league could take a team to the playoffs with the quality of qbing we have gotten the last 3 years. it is actually a miracle we have won 7 games each of the last three seasons.

See, I know it is popular on this board to say the qb position is just one of 11 positions on offense that equally contribute to the success/failure of the unit. It is just not true. The qb position is on par with a goalie in hockey & a pitcher in baseball. They are the great equalizer. You really think indy/Ne have been so good these last 10 years because they have better personal then everybody else? They just have better qbs then everybody else. Give Jauron a qb & maybe he will get you 10-11 wins & the playoffs. Hoepfully Edwards is the guy this year(cautously optimistic). Because if he is not, it is going to be 10yrs in a row without the playoffs & nothing Jauron can do will change that.

I would like to think that DJ has learned from his mistakes. The talent on Bills is definitely playoff material this year. If the coaching is there, they are in the playoffs. Coaching cost us at least 3 games last year (Cleveland, Jets, San Francisco) and will probably cost us 1-2 again this year. The question is - is the team good enough to overcome the bad calls. I think so.

J.P. cost us that Jets game, and no one else.

The problem with your comparison above [edit: Ramius], is my girlfriend has complete control over whether or not she cheats on me. It does not depend upon other people doing their job...either she cares about me, or she doesn't.

Dude! I'm sorry, I didn't know, I swear!

I don't know how you can say anyone is riding the short bus when you lack serious reading comprehension. My original statement said that Jauron had a better record (win % wise) than Belichick PRE-BRADY. Since apparrntly, you struggle with the term pre, I'll explain further. Pre refers to before. So I was comparing Belichick's record before Brady.

Brady entered the picture after the Pats* were 0-1 in 2001. So including that 0-1 (since it was before Brady played), his career record was 41-56 or a winning % of .422. He had exactly 1 playoff win in 2 games. Jauron's record is 57-76 or a winning % of .429. Jauron is 0-1 in the playoffs. So PRE-BRADY, DJ had a better winning %.

So the point is that this guy, BB, that everyone thinks is this mastermind had a worse record than the guy you think is the worst coach ever. But I'm sure given BB's success PRE-BRADY, he would have been winning Super Bowls with the likes of Matthews, Miller, Losman, & McNown. :ph34r:

I never said you didn't say pre-Brady. Big !@#$ing deal. Jauron is as good as a lot of coaches if you exclude the better teams they coached. It's an empty statement, idiot.

I never said you didn't say pre-Brady. Big !@#$ing deal. Jauron is as good as a lot of coaches if you exclude the better teams they coached. It's an empty statement, idiot.

Idiot??? haha. :ph34r: Step 1 in admitting you lost an argument, call names. You're the one who can't even read a simple post. What about my point isn't getting through your thick skull? Belichick was a loser much like Jauron with bad QBs. When he got a HOF QB, he suddenly turned into a winner. Guys like Kosar and Testaverde were both better than any QB Jauron has ever coached.

Now, if Edwards is the real deal at QB, Jauron will suddenly turn into a better coach. It's that simple. But please continue to add more quality posts about terrible the Bills are and how we should just give up on the season in May. It is real quality stuff and adds a lot to the board, you miserable douchebag (see brainac, I call names too).

I would like to think that DJ has learned from his mistakes. The talent on Bills is definitely playoff material this year. If the coaching is there, they are in the playoffs. Coaching cost us at least 3 games last year (Cleveland, Jets, San Francisco) and will probably cost us 1-2 again this year. The question is - is the team good enough to overcome the bad calls. I think so.

He's had 8 seasons to learn from his mistakes. Judging from the last 3 seasons, he keeps learning the same thing over and over again.

7 losing seasons in 8 years. That's a horrendous success rate, even for a sport like baseball. Jauron nuthuggers, answer this: if your girlfriend disappeared for 8 weekends without telling you where she was, and 7 of those weekends she cheated on you, why would you expect that on the 9th weekend she wasn't cheating on you? Moreover, why would you still be with her?

dick jauron has had 7 of 8 losing seasons as a head coach, many of those losses stemming directly from poor game day coaching or ill prepared players. Why do you expect that season 9 will be different? The better question is, why are the Bills still with jauron? We're not going anywhere with a proven loser.

I have a rock-solid alibi for those 7 weekends.

Rock-solid, I tellya.

90% of TSW fits that description as well these days.

I guess ten years of missing the playoffs will empty out a place eventually...

Not true....the stadium's still full on game day....I don't know if that speaks to our fans' resiliency or our masochistic nature...

Go Bills in 2010...when we have a new head coach who doesn't play to not lose but plays to win. I love the Bills but a leopard won't change his spots; Jauron won't get this team over the hump, he's proven he's not capable of it.

Only in Buffalo could a coach piss away a 5-1 start and still be welcomed with open arms by some people....

Not true....the stadium's still full on game day....I don't know if that speaks to our fans' resiliency or our masochistic nature...

Go Bills in 2010...when we have a new head coach who doesn't play to not lose but plays to win. I love the Bills but a leopard won't change his spots; Jauron won't get this team over the hump, he's proven he's not capable of it.

Only in Buffalo could a coach piss away a 5-1 start and still be welcomed with open arms by some people....

(i think he was referring to people like me being dum)

I don't know how you can say anyone is riding the short bus when you lack serious reading comprehension. My original statement said that Jauron had a better record (win % wise) than Belichick PRE-BRADY. Since apparrntly, you struggle with the term pre, I'll explain further. Pre refers to before. So I was comparing Belichick's record before Brady.

Brady entered the picture after the Pats* were 0-1 in 2001. So including that 0-1 (since it was before Brady played), his career record was 41-56 or a winning % of .422. He had exactly 1 playoff win in 2 games. Jauron's record is 57-76 or a winning % of .429. Jauron is 0-1 in the playoffs. So PRE-BRADY, DJ had a better winning %.

So the point is that this guy, BB, that everyone thinks is this mastermind had a worse record than the guy you think is the worst coach ever. But I'm sure given BB's success PRE-BRADY, he would have been winning Super Bowls with the likes of Matthews, Miller, Losman, & McNown. :ph34r:

Exactly...very well said

While I agree there is little to be gained by trashing DJ I am not sure why you feel compelled to defend him. Let's all hope DJ turns it around this year but his record suggests he will not. As far as the "very good offseason" goes only time will tell. We essentially have an all new o-line. Clearly a high risk potentially high reward situation. If it works the Bills FO will be hailed as geniuses. If not, we add to years of frustration and start looking for a new coach and GM.

Thats why I said, at this moment based on what we know of the players we obtained, it has been a very good offseason and every reason to be optimistic. Only time will tell if the draft was as good as it looks on paper (5 top rated players at 5 different need positions).

The only thing you made clear with that post is that you dont know anything about football if you believe that to be true. Why do all the DJ blamers over look the fact that Trent went for 3 TD's and 10 Turnovers in his 4 divisional games? Why do they forget JP had a QB rating in the 50's in his two divisional games? Why do you ignore that Trent had 6 HORRIBLE, not even sort of bad, but flat out horrible games in his last 8 of the season?

You think some rookie HC was going to change that using a new system? About as dumb of a statement as I have seen on here.

You can NOT win in this league with QB play like that unless your D is top 3...scary thing is, that DESPITE all the QB struggles, DJ still has in position to win every game last year but one (AZ). Not to mention the injuries...

Like someone else mentioned, BEFORE Brady, BB in NE had a very similar record to DJ, in fact DJ has a slightly higher win % over those 8 years as BB had in his 8 years pre Brady. A QB will either KILL your coach or make him a HERO...DJ has never once, not one single season, ever had a QB.

Werent you one of the idiots calling for Gruden who lost his last 4 games last year and pissed away the divison lead to miss the playoffs? The same guy who only had to beat the lowly Raiders in the last game of season to get in but lost...

The only thing you made clear with that post is that you dont know anything about football if you believe that to be true. Why do all the DJ blamers over look the fact that Trent went for 3 TD's and 10 Turnovers in his 4 divisional games? Why do they forget JP had a QB rating in the 50's in his two divisional games? Why do you ignore that Trent had 6 HORRIBLE, not even sort of bad, but flat out horrible games in his last 8 of the season?

Why do you over look the fact that in those same stretch of games, Trent outright came out and said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he wasn't prepared for what those defenses threw at him? Who's job is it to prepare him?!? I know it's not Dicky J's directly, but he sure as f#ck have a good grip as to why his QB feels unprepared!!! You bring in a rookie offensive co-ordinator and a young QB coach and you're surprised he struggles (particularly against 3-4 defenses). You think at some point, our venerable coaching staff would TRAIN him on how to react to a 3-4.

This staff is just as responsible for Trent's shortcomings as Trent is.

Trent finished poorly overall, but what you keep ignoring (the pain over your personal loss is still overwhelming, isn't it? Let him go.) is that, after the nightmarish 1st Q in CLE, he played the rest of the season (19 Q's) with only 1 turnover and 3 sacks. Which is something.

You think some rookie HC was going to change that using a new system? About as dumb of a statement as I have seen on here.

Really? Anyway...John Harbaugh, Mike Smith, Tony Sparano were "Some rookie HCs" who changed their teams with a "new system".

Like someone else mentioned, BEFORE Brady, BB in NE had a very similar record to DJ, in fact DJ has a slightly higher win % over those 8 years as BB had in his 8 years pre Brady. A QB will either KILL your coach or make him a HERO...DJ has never once, not one single season, ever had a QB.

2006? No?

Werent you one of the idiots calling for Gruden who lost his last 4 games last year and pissed away the divison lead to miss the playoffs? The same guy who only had to beat the lowly Raiders in the last game of season to get in but lost...

Superbowls won by Jon Gruden = 1

Playoff games won by Dick Jauron = 0

And then we'll get into the comparisons of winning seasons. The only idiots I see here are those that continue to make excuses for Limp Dick's losing ways. Yourself included.

Trent finished poorly overall, but what you keep ignoring (the pain over your personal loss is still overwhelming, isn't it? Let him go.) is that, after the nightmarish 1st Q in CLE, he played the rest of the season (19 Q's) with only 1 turnover and 3 sacks. Which is something.

Really? Anyway...John Harbaugh, Mike Smith, Tony Sparano were "Some rookie HCs" who changed their teams with a "new system".

2006? No?

It's okay WEO, when Dick gets fired from Buffalo (or his three years run out), he can join JP at the PhotoLab since no one in the NFL would be dumb enough to offer them jobs again. Alphadawg's patronage will keep them in business for years!

"Coaching cost us games" is such an unbelievably myopic throw away line.

If you're going to simplify the game to that degree, then don't even bother learning the players' names, ignore the fact that players make more than coaches, and keep convincing yourself that coaches, not players, make all the mistakes.

I am not going to argue that the players make mistakes and the coaches are not entirely to blame but let's look at the games in question:

1. Cleveland - TE played his worst career game and Lindell missed a game winning FG. When all is said and done, the Bills had the ball at the Cleveland 30 with a minute to play. DJ decided to run the clock and kick the 47 yarder. 47 yards is not a "chip shot" field goal you settle on. You take it, if that's your only choice. If they attempted to move the football even 10 yards closer, the chance of having a successful field goal goes up dramatically. Coaching mistake.

2. NYJ - Bills have the ball with less than 2 minutes left and a 4 point lead and the Jets have 1 Timeout. Turk calls for a run (Lynch avg 6 ypc), DJ overrules and calls a pass. Losman, one of the most sacked QB's per dropback of all-time, gets sacked and fumbles. Blame should be put on Losman, but this is a run, run, run, punt situation. Losman shouldn't have been in the situation to begin with. Coaching mistake.

3. SF - This game can be blamed on Ryan Lindell as the Bills lost 10-3 and he missed 2 field goals (including one from 20 yds out). However DJ again had questionable calls - 2nd Qtr -Bills running thru SF like a hot knife thru butter have 2nd and goal from the 2, after a FJ 5 yd run. 2 bad pass calls - either run the fade or jam it down their throats. Bills settle for a missed FG. 3rd Qtr - DJ elects to punt from the 37 of SF trailing by 10 on a windless afternoon. 4th Qtr (11min left, trailing by 7), DJ calls a pass on 4 and 2 from the 7 - not necessarily a bad call except for the fact they call a slow-developing pass and Losman almost gets sacked before trying to force the ball to Evans. A better coached game, this is a win.

Harbaugh didnt change that team, that team was already put together, but he did add a capable QB in Flacco.

Smith had a completely DIFFERENT team, especially on offense...Lets see, maybe the rushing champ and Matt Ryan combo helped him here...

Soprano again had a completely rebuilt team with a very good verteran QB added, and lots of solid new players brough in.

So, those examples are not even remotely close to Buffalo. Those rookie cocahces would not have changed the sorry QB play we had in Buffalo last year as they had the same players to work with as DJ...Another ignorant post by you...

Oh, and whats the common theme in those 3 succesful rookie coaches? A BRAND NEW QB WHO PLAYED WELL

I am not going to argue that the players make mistakes and the coaches are not entirely to blame but let's look at the games in question:

1. Cleveland - TE played his worst career game and Lindell missed a game winning FG. When all is said and done, the Bills had the ball at the Cleveland 30 with a minute to play. DJ decided to run the clock and kick the 47 yarder. 47 yards is not a "chip shot" field goal you settle on. You take it, if that's your only choice. If they attempted to move the football even 10 yards closer, the chance of having a successful field goal goes up dramatically. Coaching mistake.

You just stated that TE played the worst game of his life. So right there, DJ is in trouble. Should he risk passing again with this struggling QB or a potential fumble to pick up a few more yards & potentially risk a GW field goal? Imagine the outrage if that would have happen.

Either way, I just saw Phil Dawson kick a 54 yard fg that would have been good from 60+. Lindell missed a 47 yarder. Player fault.

2. NYJ - Bills have the ball with less than 2 minutes left and a 4 point lead and the Jets have 1 Timeout. Turk calls for a run (Lynch avg 6 ypc), DJ overrules and calls a pass. Losman, one of the most sacked QB's per dropback of all-time, gets sacked and fumbles. Blame should be put on Losman, but this is a run, run, run, punt situation. Losman shouldn't have been in the situation to begin with. Coaching mistake.

A rollout is a very safe play and they were trying to pick up a first to put the game away. If Belicihick does this with his HOF QB, he is going for the knockout punch. Unfortunately, our "pro bowl" LT misses blocking a 200 lbs. safety and Losman is Losman. Player fault.

3. SF - This game can be blamed on Ryan Lindell as the Bills lost 10-3 and he missed 2 field goals (including one from 20 yds out). However DJ again had questionable calls - 2nd Qtr -Bills running thru SF like a hot knife thru butter have 2nd and goal from the 2, after a FJ 5 yd run. 2 bad pass calls - either run the fade or jam it down their throats. Bills settle for a missed FG. 3rd Qtr - DJ elects to punt from the 37 of SF trailing by 10 on a windless afternoon. 4th Qtr (11min left, trailing by 7), DJ calls a pass on 4 and 2 from the 7 - not necessarily a bad call except for the fact they call a slow-developing pass and Losman almost gets sacked before trying to force the ball to Evans. A better coached game, this is a win.

Edwards got hurt, Losman and Lindell suck. Player fault.

Harbaugh didnt change that team, that team was already put together, but he did add a capable QB in Flacco.

Smith had a completely DIFFERENT team, especially on offense...Lets see, maybe the rushing champ and Matt Ryan combo helped him here...

Soprano again had a completely rebuilt team with a very good verteran QB added, and lots of solid new players brough in.

So, those examples are not even remotely close to Buffalo. Those rookie cocahces would not have changed the sorry QB play we had in Buffalo last year as they had the same players to work with as DJ...Another ignorant post by you...

Oh, and whats the common theme in those 3 succesful rookie coaches? A BRAND NEW QB WHO PLAYED WELL

Agree with most of this but I disagree about the QB part. Edwards had better numbers than Flacco and numbers slighty worse than Ryan. However, the Falcons had the best rb in football and the Ravens have a dominant defense. Those 2 things can carry teams and make up for a young QBs struggles. We didn't have that in Buffalo.

You just stated that TE played the worst game of his life. So right there, DJ is in trouble. Should he risk passing again with this struggling QB or a potential fumble to pick up a few more yards & potentially risk a GW field goal? Imagine the outrage if that would have happen.

Either way, I just saw Phil Dawson kick a 54 yard fg that would have been good from 60+. Lindell missed a 47 yarder. Player fault.

A rollout is a very safe play and they were trying to pick up a first to put the game away. If Belicihick does this with his HOF QB, he is going for the knockout punch. Unfortunately, our "pro bowl" LT misses blocking a 200 lbs. safety and Losman is Losman. Player fault.

Edwards got hurt, Losman and Lindell suck. Player fault.

I've also seen Sebastion Janikowski kick a ball 70 yds in practice, doesn't mean its a high probablility play. Last year, this team had the talent to make the playoffs and due to questionable play calling and squandered opportunities, the team lost. The game is played by men, who are not infallable (nor is the coaching, I might add). A coach's responsibility is to be able to help the team overcome such mistakes by putting them in positions with a high-probabilty chance of success. DJ has failed to do so in the past.

I've also seen Sebastion Janikowski kick a ball 70 yds in practice, doesn't mean its a high probablility play. Last year, this team had the talent to make the playoffs and due to questionable play calling and squandered opportunities, the team lost. The game is played by men, who are not infallable (nor is the coaching, I might add). A coach's responsibility is to be able to help the team overcome such mistakes by putting them in positions with a high-probabilty chance of success. DJ has failed to do so in the past.

Coaching in the NFl is so overrated. Players win or lose games. Answer this question honestly: talent-wise last season, how many teams were we better than??? Not many my friend.