Oct 2002 - The story of Dick Jauron "Coward"-gate

Researching mind-numbing Jaroun quotes (redundancy, I know) for the other thread, I came across a long forgotten story which I felt was interesting enough to have it's own thread. The story bares a striking resemblance to what pains that the Bills fans are going through today (well those sane ones who have literally had it with Jauron-ball). A quick synopsis is that in Oct of 2002, then Chicago head coach Dick Jauron was called "a coward" by a caller during his a weekly radio talk show after a heartbreaking OT loss to the Lions. Dick responded that he had a lot better ways to spend his time.

The setup...

After going 13-3 the previous season and starting out 2002 with 2 straight wins then 3 straight losses, the Bears lost 20-23 to the Lions in overtime. Note the Bears final drive "let's try killing the clock with 7 minutes left" ultraconservative play selection which ended with a punt to the Lions with 2:21 in time remaining...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2002.htm

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...p;override=true

Also note: the Bears lost 4 more games in a row after that OT loss, making it 8 straight losses well on their way to a fabulous 4-12 record.

Here was some press on the Jauron called a "coward" story...

http://www.dailypress.com/topic/cs-021028b...37.story?page=2

"On the air: Jauron cleared up the controversy over remarks he made on his radio show last week.
When a caller suggested Jauron was coaching like a "coward," host Hub Arkush jumped in and defended the coach. Jauron, in turn, said he had, "a lot better ways to spend my time.""

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-21...2;"Byline: Bob LeGere Daily Herald Sports Writer 
In light of the publicity generated last week by confrontational calls to him on "The Bears Insider" on WSCR 670-AM Monday evenings, coach Dick Jauron was asked if having to handle adversarial callers was difficult. 
"For me? No, it's really not," Jauron said. "I mean I'd rather not; you'd rather win all your games. Even then I'm sure you'll have some callers who don't agree with things you do. "

And here's a football forum (circa 2006) talking about the episode and the Bills' possible hiring of Jauron...

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=139708

"I give Dick credit for going to that show each week and getting smashed by callers, while keeping his composure.

and about the conservative approach I agree, I remember him saying something like "we just need to keep the game close, and hopefully will have a chance to win it with a field goal at the end." I understand about holding on to the ball, field position, ect......but I cant have my team play the whole game with a prevent offence and defense."

I know it's small annedotal story, yet it's one that I had never heard about and explains so clearly why we're so frustrated. He DOES coach like he's afraid of his own shadow. It was as true in 2002 as it is in 2009! I found this story very interesting and if you didn't I'm sure that you'll let me have it. Hey, anybody know if Dick is going to have a call-in show this season?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this being do or die time for Dick, I couldn't imagine him playing ultra conservative unless the Bills are up BIG. Add the presence of TO, I'm sure he wouldn't let Dick and his conservatism slide. If he thought dealing with an upset caller was tough, wait until one of his more outspoken players voices his displeasure publicly.

I know it's small annedotal story, yet it's one that I had never heard about and explains so clearly why we're so frustrated. He DOES coach like he's afraid of his own shadow. It was as true in 2002 as it is in 2009! I found this story very interesting and if you didn't I'm sure that you'll let me have it. Hey, anybody know if Dick is going to have a call-in show this season?

2002 was the year the Bears were forced to play their home games at the University of Illinois in Champaign. Jim Miller and Ted Washington went down early in the season and things went downhill from there.

Game recap

"The Lions received favorable calls from the officials twice during the drive, but a penalty against the Lions helped them the most. With five seconds left in the game, Joey Harrington was sacked by Bears DB Larry Whigham, seemingly ending the game. However, the referees had called a false start on the Lions, negating the previous play. Lions kicker Jason Hanson then hit a 24 yd FG with two seconds remaining to send the game into overtime."

Season Recap 1

Season Recap 2

Season Recap 3

Having to rely on Chris Chandler to QB a team would make any HC a bit conservative, IMO...

With this being do or die time for Dick, I couldn't imagine him playing ultra conservative unless the Bills are up BIG. Add the presence of TO, I'm sure he wouldn't let Dick and his conservatism slide. If he thought dealing with an upset caller was tough, wait until one of his more outspoken players voices his displeasure publicly.

You can't be serious. You truly believe he's not going to have a conservative game plan? Really?

Researching mind-numbing Jaroun quotes (redundancy, I know) for the other thread, I came across a long forgotten story which I felt was interesting enough to have it's own thread. The story bares a striking resemblance to what pains that the Bills fans are going through today (well those sane ones who have literally had it with Jauron-ball). A quick synopsis is that in Oct of 2002, then Chicago head coach Dick Jauron was called "a coward" by a caller during his a weekly radio talk show after a heartbreaking OT loss to the Lions. Dick responded that he had a lot better ways to spend his time.

The setup...

After going 13-3 the previous season and starting out 2002 with 2 straight wins then 3 straight losses, the Bears lost 20-23 to the Lions in overtime. Note the Bears final drive "let's try killing the clock with 7 minutes left" ultraconservative play selection which ended with a punt to the Lions with 2:21 in time remaining...

Also note: the Bears lost 4 more games in a row after that OT loss, making it 8 straight losses well on their way to a fabulous 4-12 record.

"On the air: Jauron cleared up the controversy over remarks he made on his radio show last week.
When a caller suggested Jauron was coaching like a "coward," host Hub Arkush jumped in and defended the coach. Jauron, in turn, said he had, "a lot better ways to spend my time.""

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-21...2;"Byline: Bob LeGere Daily Herald Sports Writer 
In light of the publicity generated last week by confrontational calls to him on "The Bears Insider" on WSCR 670-AM Monday evenings, coach Dick Jauron was asked if having to handle adversarial callers was difficult. 
"For me? No, it's really not," Jauron said. "I mean I'd rather not; you'd rather win all your games. Even then I'm sure you'll have some callers who don't agree with things you do. "

And here's a football forum (circa 2006) talking about the episode and the Bills' possible hiring of Jauron...

"I give Dick credit for going to that show each week and getting smashed by callers, while keeping his composure.

and about the conservative approach I agree, I remember him saying something like "we just need to keep the game close, and hopefully will have a chance to win it with a field goal at the end." I understand about holding on to the ball, field position, ect......but I cant have my team play the whole game with a prevent offence and defense."

What really needs to happen is having his ass kicked out of the NFL once and for all. Thanks, Marv, for saddling us with this perennial loser.

The setup...

Thanks for stealing the time it took me to read this lame post that has no relevance to anything other than some fan who doesnt understand football calling into a radio station and calling him a coward...

I used to think the Raiders had the worst fans in football, I am starting to think its now the Bills fans...I mean, we have just had a very good offseason capped by a fantastic draft (based on what we know at this exact moment about the drafted players) and have all the reason to be optimistic, but yet you have your dirty panties in a wad about a dumb phone call probably from some drunk fan 7 years ago...

Let me ask you this, whats the one thing DJ has never had during any of the years he has been a HC? Give up...a Quarterback...pretty hard to win in this league or be "aggressive" when your QB is NOT capable of handling that...

If anything, I think Jauron is trying to move away from a conservative style of football he had with Steve Fairchild.

When was the last time you saw the Bills run more then they throw? When was the last time you saw the Bills run constant play action instead of constant shotgun formations? The Bills offense is not conservative by any means and wasn't last year at all IMO. Fairchild was a bit conservative, but I think he was trying to establish a running game to set up the passing game.Whereas, Turk Schonert constantly wants to put the ball in the air no matter who is playing QB, and runs the ball as an after thought.

If your talking defense, then yeah the tampax 2 is designed not to allow the big play and make the opponent make a mistake on the way to the goal line. I really hate the defense Jauron runs, with the smaller, quicker penetrating linemen and they always give up yardage on the ground to easily.

I like Jauron as a person, but I can't see any team he is the head coach of going to the playoffs,ever again.

I would like to think that DJ has learned from his mistakes. The talent on Bills is definitely playoff material this year. If the coaching is there, they are in the playoffs. Coaching cost us at least 3 games last year (Cleveland, Jets, San Francisco) and will probably cost us 1-2 again this year. The question is - is the team good enough to overcome the bad calls. I think so.

I would like to think that DJ has learned from his mistakes. The talent on Bills is definitely playoff material this year. If the coaching is there, they are in the playoffs. Coaching cost us at least 3 games last year (Cleveland, Jets, San Francisco) and will probably cost us 1-2 again this year. The question is - is the team good enough to overcome the bad calls. I think so.

"Coaching cost us games" is such an unbelievably myopic throw away line.

If you're going to simplify the game to that degree, then don't even bother learning the players' names, ignore the fact that players make more than coaches, and keep convincing yourself that coaches, not players, make all the mistakes.

Thanks for stealing the time it took me to read this lame post that has no relevance to anything other than some fan who doesnt understand football calling into a radio station and calling him a coward...

I used to think the Raiders had the worst fans in football, I am starting to think its now the Bills fans...I mean, we have just had a very good offseason capped by a fantastic draft (based on what we know at this exact moment about the drafted players) and have all the reason to be optimistic, but yet you have your dirty panties in a wad about a dumb phone call probably from some drunk fan 7 years ago...

Let me ask you this, whats the one thing DJ has never had during any of the years he has been a HC? Give up...a Quarterback...pretty hard to win in this league or be "aggressive" when your QB is NOT capable of handling that...

Sounds pretty right on to me. This year is going to be a put up or shut up year for both the Coach and QB, IMO.

Dont know wht you think it is do or die time. That was supposedly last year. Now, it is 2 years in the future, at least.

Yet, he still had a better record than Belichick pre-Brady.

Actually, if one straight up compares the two coaches first 8 full seasons without special qualifiers and arbitrary exceptions...

In Belichick's first 8 years, his team won 61 games. Jauron has won 56. Belichick had won 4 playoff games by then including a Super Bowl. Jauron has only been to the playoffs one time and his team got destroyed at home.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/BeliBi0.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/JaurDi0.htm

No matter what anyone says, I can't see DJ departing from his tried (but not true) style of keeping games close and hoping to win by a FG. It's how he got to be a NFL HC, and it won't change in 2009 regardless of what's at stake.

Coaches like DJ don't last long in the NFL, given the penchant for not knowing when to take calculated risks. And when he does, it's usually a disaster of a call a la the away Jets game.

He's not going to change his spots simply because he's unpopular with fans. It's upper management that votes whether he remains, and at this point they're more concerned with making a dollar than putting a winning team on the field. That and avoiding or disavowing any notion of the team moving.

The Bills and DJ are a perfect fit for each other.

In addition to playing all of their home games at the University of Illinois, only four players started all 16 games for the Bears that year: Marty Booker, Brian Urlacher, Mike Green, and Jerry Azumah.

In addition to not being a very talented squad they were very hard hit with injuries.

In addition to playing all of their home games at the University of Illinois, only four players started all 16 games for the Bears that year: Marty Booker, Brian Urlacher, Mike Green, and Jerry Azumah.

In addition to not being a very talented squad they were very hard hit with injuries.

Kinda like the 2008 Baltimore Ravens who made the playoffs with a rookie QB and rookie HC?

The facts remain the same: 8 NFL seasons as a HC. 1 playoff appearance. 1 playoff loss.