Round 4, Pick 121: SHAWN NELSON, TE, Southern Miss

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From NFL.com:

Compares To: TONY SCHEFFLER, Denver -- Like Scheffler, Nelson is best served lined wide or in motion than when asked to work in-line. He has just adequate strength, which prevents him from being much of a blocker at the line of scrimmage. He shows very good open-field acceleration and works back to the ball well, but does struggle tracking the deep throws, especially those over his outside shoulder. He is the type that you will need to compensate by having a physical blocker to share positional duties.

Did anyone see him play last year?

I don't know boo about him but he was the top available guy in Kiper's list and we needed a TE so it seems like a reasonable pick.

Ingram would have been better

Ingram can make the catches and is a great athlete

Well that fills yet another need...

And he was to top player left on the board (Kiper's at least). Cant complain with 6'5'' and 4 year starter who runs a 4.56 and 21 reps on the bench. Good pick up

A few good draft sites have him as the 2nd or 3rd best TE. I like it

I love it. Now all we gotta do is grab an OLB next and this'll be a great draft.

I'd rather see them sign Keiaho and then go BPA the rest of the way in the draft, personally. Come on, Ralph, use some of that money the Peters' trade freed up on some quality FA's as well!

Comment here....

Great pick.

probably an ok pick based on need but I would have preferred J. Meredith.

S. Nelson -

Strengths:

Good height with a rangy build and long arms...Frame has room to add weight...A fantastic athlete...Good speed and quickness...Vertical threat who can stretch the field...Gets good separation...Excellent hands...Nice ball skills and body control...Can create after the catch...Tough...Technically sound and gives good effort as a blocker...Has a lot of experience...Very productive... Good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:

Needs to bulk up but has trouble maintaining weight...Is not very strong...Not a dominant in-line blocker and can be physically overwhelmed...A relatively average route runner...May have some minor durability concerns...Probably won't be a good fit for everyone.

Notes:

Cousin of former L.S.U. and current Kansas City Chiefs DT Glenn Dorsey...A four-year starter...Finished his college career ranked in the Golden Eagles Top 5 in career receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns...Saved the best for last and had a terrific senior campaign...Somewhat of a one-dimensional pass catcher who in many ways is a wide receiver in a tight ends body...Awfully similar to Martin Rucker of the Cleveland Browns (4th Round Pick in '08) , only better.

I was against taking a TE, but man this kid looks gifted.

His hand-eye coordination is fantastic and he catches the ball with his hands NOT his body - that's a problem we have seen in many of our recent tight ends and receivers.

Also in the clips that I watched he looked like a natural runner with some RB instincts. Watch how he switches the ball to the hand away from the defenders.

Has the potential to be quite the steal.

I'm liking it :thumbsup:

probably an ok pick based on need but I would have preferred J. Meredith.

S. Nelson -

Strengths:

Good height with a rangy build and long arms...Frame has room to add weight...A fantastic athlete...Good speed and quickness...Vertical threat who can stretch the field...Gets good separation...Excellent hands...Nice ball skills and body control...Can create after the catch...Tough...Technically sound and gives good effort as a blocker...Has a lot of experience...Very productive... Good lines.

Weaknesses:

Needs to bulk up but has trouble maintaining weight...Is not very strong...Not a nt in-line blocker and can be physically overwhelmed...A relatively average route runner...May have some minor durability concerns...Probably won't be a good fit for everyone.

Notes:

Cousin of former L.S.U. and current Kansas City Chiefs DT Glenn Dorsey...A four-year starter...Finished his college career ranked in the Golden Eagles Top 5 in career receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns...Saved the best for last and had a terrific senior campaign...Somewhat of a one-dimensional pass catcher who in many ways is a wide receiver in a tight ends body...Awfully similar to Martin Rucker of the Cleveland Browns (4th Round Pick in '08) , only better.

Read elsewhere he has trouble keeping his weight.

Not a concern, as hopefully the pro S&T guys can get him on the right

track.

Tall dude, looks strong. If he is a receiving TE, bulk isn't an issue.

Ingram would have been better

Ingram can make the catches and is a great athlete

Yeah, just what I want....a guy that tried to quit on the team not once but TWICE during '06 and '07. Scouts are really questioning his desire to play football, and it took him 5 years to play 2 full seasons because of injuries...

Sorry, not a guy I want on my team...

WOW what a great pick we drafted another Wide Receiver.....OOOOPPSS!!!! I mean tight end....just looking at this guy, there is no way he develops into a semi decent blocker.......I always was big on Derek Fine and I think he is your starter...with Schouman playing 2nd TE and some FB