Round 4, Pick 121: SHAWN NELSON, TE, Southern Miss

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW what a great pick we drafted another Wide Receiver.....OOOOPPSS!!!! I mean tight end....just looking at this guy, there is no way he develops into a semi decent blocker.......I always was big on Derek Fine and I think he is your starter...with Schouman playing 2nd TE and some FB

yeah, Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez aren't known for their blocking either...how are they doing in the NFL?

So let me get this straight. We've just drafted starters at the following positions:

RDE

LG

RG

FS

TE

This is by far one of the best drafts we've had on paper in a long time.

Great picks and I wonder if we'll use any of our remaining picks on a QB with more than few serviceable ones still out there.

Part of wants us to pick Reilly so Jaworski WILL SHUT UP ABOUT HIM! Jesus!

Ingram would have been better

Ingram can make the catches and is a great athlete

I don't think so. This from NFL.com:

Compares To: DUSTIN KELLER, New York Jets -- If he is fully recovered from knee problems, Ingram has the ability to be a nice second-day draft find for a team looking for a motion back to stretch the field. If a team is looking for someone to block at the tight end position, they need to look elsewhere. It took him five years to play two seasons and Ingram almost quit on the team twice. Questions about his health are justified, but more questions need to be asked about his desire for the game before someone can invest anything more than a mid-to-late round pick on him. Those that compare him to Dallas Clark (Indianapolis) or Vernon Davis (49ers) need to check his dedication level first.

and what precisely is nelson in your mind? In mine, he's a much more productive collge player that had better workout numbers and played in a more NFL-style offense.

Ranked as the 56th best player by Gil Brandt. Got value and talent. Way to go

yeah, he was ranked 62nd on the top 100 prospects on another draft site, so most places are thinking he was a pretty good 2nd or 3rd round talent...

Comment here....

Great pick.

TO, Evans, Reed, Nelson, Parish and Hardy! With an upgraded O-line look out! This team really did what it needed to. I think we will be a force in the division this year even with Brady back. Kudos to the FO. Oh yeah Maybin already has chemistry with Poz. I know there are nay sayers but I am psyched.

Read elsewhere he has trouble keeping his weight.

Not a concern, as hopefully the pro S&T guys can get him on the right

track.

Tall dude, looks strong. If he is a receiving TE, bulk isn't an issue.

Every time I read "has trouble keeping his weight" I chuckle. When I was 21 I could eat half a cow and a quarter of a pig and I never went above 180lbs. Five years later......not so much.

Now I have a pretzel and I gain 2 pounds...WTF!

WOW what a great pick we drafted another Wide Receiver.....OOOOPPSS!!!! I mean tight end....just looking at this guy, there is no way he develops into a semi decent blocker.......I always was big on Derek Fine and I think he is your starter...with Schouman playing 2nd TE and some FB

I was with you on that sentiment, but with Owens only signed for 1 year, and Hardy being an uncertain target in the redzone, I can see this kid developing into our red-zone threat.

Run blocking is one of the easier things to teach, but the receiving skills this kid has you are either born with, or you are not.

I'd rather see them sign Keiaho and then go BPA the rest of the way in the draft, personally. Come on, Ralph, use some of that money the Peters' trade freed up on some quality FA's as well!

Not a lot of quality FA's left.

Gosselin had a 2nd round grade on him - ranked only two behind Everette Brown, who so many here were screaming for in the 1st. I only point this out because Gosselin's top 100 has been the most accurate ranking of players, in both predictive value and production hindsight, for years.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...100.7dd05b.html

So let me get this straight. We've just drafted starters at the following positions:

RDE

LG

RG

FS

TE

Great picks and I wonder if we'll use any of our remaining picks on a QB with more than few serviceable ones still out there.

Actually last years is still to be proven, but if Bowen and Hardy prove

able to play, it would be one of the best in a long while. I think Corner

has proven he can be a good player, and the Bills seem pretty high on Bell.

I ABSOLUTELY love this draft for us! ....on paper...

Think we did draft starters with our first 4 and with Nelson he will start behind

Fine this year.

LOVE OUR DRAFT!

Mayock said a little while ago that multiple team doctors have evaluated Ingram's knee repair to be less than ideal. He actually might need another surgery.

He could end up being a great TE in the NFL, but it would have been a MUCH riskier pick becasue of health, and maybe even a project if he didn't see the field in 2009.

All things considered, Nelson appears to be the right pick!

:thumbsup:

RDE

LG

RG

FS

TE

Hey Reilly is Irish, we had some decent success with that other Irish guy Kelly :thumbsup:

To me, Shouman is worthless. We need to sign a veteran TE that is known to be a blocker for two TE sets no matter who we drafted at TE unless his name was Pettigrew. Shouman probably gets cut. Nelson very likely leapfrogs Fine as the receiving TE if he picks up the offense quick, and those three guys, Nelson, Veteran Blocker Guy and Fine divide up the snaps. The quicker Fine gets phased out the better, IMO.

Not a lot of quality FA's left.

We haven't seen the rest of the cuts on teams yet. Some teams will cut because they got the person they wanted in the draft. We havent seen whatelse is out there, but there's enough FA talent left to get us where we want to be.