Official Draft Thread

I'm a little concerned about his overall weight. Kinda skinny for a kid who is 6'5". Plus, for what it's worth, he is the first non-character guy we have drafted according to ESPN's rankings

240 seems about right for a TE.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nelson looks like a big TE that can get down the field....like the pick

from NFL.com

Analysis

Positives: Long, lean, athletic frame capable of handling additional mass without a significant loss of quickness. Good initial quickness off the snap. Good body control and lateral agility to dip and avoid the jam at the line of scrimmage to gain a quick release into his route. At least adequate straight-line speed to challenge the seam. Can sink his hips and shows some burst out of his breaks to gain separation. Flashes the ability to snatch the ball out of the air and contort his body to make the difficult reception. Versatile athlete who lines up out of the three-point stance and in the slot. Good effort as an in-line blocker, though he needs to add strength in this area.

Negatives: Lacks the bulk at this time to compete as an in-line blocker. Struggles as a drive blocker and laterally due to a lack of upper body strength. Inconsistent burst out of his breaks as a route-runner. Prone to concentration lapses and will drop easy passes. Lacks the agility in the open field to consistently make defenders miss. Marginal ability to track the ball over his shoulder. In many ways, seems to be the same player as a senior he was a freshman, leading scouts to question if he is either maxed out or lacks the drive to improve.

Compares To: TONY SCHEFFLER, Denver -- Like Scheffler, Nelson is best served lined wide or in motion than when asked to work in-line. He has just adequate strength, which prevents him from being much of a blocker at the line of scrimmage. He shows very good open-field acceleration and works back to the ball well, but does struggle tracking the deep throws, especially those over his outside shoulder. He is the type that you will need to compensate by having a physical blocker to share positional duties.

I'm a little concerned about his overall weight. Kinda skinny for a kid who is 6'5". Plus, for what it's worth, he is the first non-character guy we have drafted according to ESPN's rankings

That's the way it is in R4. Everyone has a hole or two in their game. Nelson will make an effort as a blocker, which is probably why the Bills valued him over Casey or Ingram, but he's basically just a big receiver first and foremost.

As the draft progresses, I hope we trade back into the 4th, say with our 5th and a 7, to take Duke Robinson. 1st/2nd best guard. I know we have enough guards but I think we can not have enough guards. Its only giving up a 7th, a guy like Kox who will get cut in camp. Dont take a chance and get the best interior OL in the NFL.

That frame means he can add weight though doesn't it?

Regarding character...he was benched for a half for missing curfew. Nothing else mentioned. We'll see if anything turns up.

As the draft progresses, I hope we trade back into the 4th, say with our 5th and a 7, to take Duke Robinson. 1st/2nd best guard. I know we have enough guards but I think we can not have enough guards. Its only giving up a 7th, a guy like Kox who will get cut in camp. Dont take a chance and get the best interior OL in the NFL.

I think Duke is bad news, and would have been picked already if he wasn't.

Sirius like the Nelson pick - Brandt had hit ranked 57th overall, said that he did a great job catching the ball in the combine, cousin of Glen Dorsey, 6'4" - 240.

At DraftTek we gave Nelson a +58 Value, meaning that he went 58 slots later than our consensus mock. That is huge.