Official Draft Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they'll draft Casey even if he is available. The Bills value blocking ability at TE and Casey, for all his ability as a receiver, isn't considered much of a blocker at all.

The Bills really liked Pettigrew, that's for sure. But, they also supposedly liked Coffman if it came to Rd 3. So, I don't know what their criteria is for a 4th Round TE. They may be willing to take good receiving TE with questionable blocking ability. I think they take a guy who is at least a "willing" blocker, if not a good one.

I don't think they'll draft Casey even if he is available. The Bills value blocking ability at TE and Casey, for all his ability as a receiver, isn't considered much of a blocker at all.

They should...

"No team throws the ball more than Rice, which helps explain Casey's 111 receptions for 1,329 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2008. Casey was too busy catching the ball to block in the Owls' spread offense. Turns out he's not alone. Most of the top tight end prospects in this year's draft class didn't block out of a three-point stance and won't necessarily have to do so at the next level."

Link - When it comes to NFL prospects, James Casey is one of a kind

The Bills really liked Pettigrew, that's for sure. But, they also supposedly liked Coffman if it came to Rd 3. So, I don't know what their criteria is for a 4th Round TE. They may be willing to take good receiving TE with questionable blocking ability. I think they take a guy who is at least a "willing" blocker, if not a good one.

I agree, they do value blocking TEs, but with Fine and Schouman capable of handling blocking duties, maybe they'd consider Casey as a receiving TE they can rotate in with the other two guys. Just a thought.

I agree, but if they draft a TE here, I think it'll be Shawn Nelson and not Casey. He's not a particularly great blocker, but he will make the effort.

That said, at the rate its going, I expect them to draft either a LB or DT.

Michaelfromgermany,

I just have to say that I laugh whenever I see your location. When most people live somewhere that they think most people don't know where it is, they instead say they live near somewhere that is easily recognized. In your case, you picked Heidelberg, and I have absolutely NO IDEA where that is. Never heard of it.

I laugh at myself and my ignorance of other countries more than anything else, but still funny to me.

Michaelfromgermany,

I just have to say that I laugh whenever I see your location. When most people live somewhere that they think most people don't know where it is, they instead say they live near somewhere that is easily recognized. In your case, you picked Heidelberg, and I have absolutely NO IDEA where that is. Never heard of it.

I laugh at myself and my ignorance of other countries more than anything else, but still funny to me.

;-) You are kidding me ? ,-)))

You do not know Heidelberg ? ,-) There is the Headqarter from the US Military in Germany. Its in South Germany...small town...only 70.000 citizens. ,-)

OK....but surely you know Frankfurt ? ;-)

That is 100 km away from here ;-))))

I agree, but if they draft a TE here, I think it'll be Shawn Nelson and not Casey. He's not a particularly great blocker, but he will make the effort.

That said, at the rate its going, I expect them to draft either a LB or DT.

According to Mayock...

Outside of Oklahoma State's Brandon Petigrew, who's the No. 1 tight end in the country, none of the top prospects have shown they can block."

Casey falls into a group of catch-first tight ends that includes South Carolina's Jared Cook, Southern Miss' Shawn Nelson, Florida's Cornelius Ingram, Missouri's Chase Coffman and Wisconsin's Travis Beckham. They all project as "move" tight ends or H-backs, who can line up in various places in the offense to create mismatches. None of them came close to matching Casey's numbers at Rice.

"Casey might have the best ball skills of anyone at his position," Mayock says.

link

;-) You are kidding me ? ,-)))

You do not know Heidelberg ? ,-) There is the Headqarter from the US Military in Germany. Its in South Germany...small town...only 70.000 citizens. ,-)

OK....but surely you know Frankfurt ? ;-)

That is 100 km away from here ;-))))

See, all this could have been avoided if you said that from the beginning. Now, I expect you to change your location immediately :thumbsup:

According to Mayock...

Outside of Oklahoma State's Brandon Petigrew, who's the No. 1 tight end in the country, none of the top prospects have shown they can block."

Casey falls into a group of catch-first tight ends that includes South Carolina's Jared Cook, Southern Miss' Shawn Nelson, Florida's Cornelius Ingram, Missouri's Chase Coffman and Wisconsin's Travis Beckham. They all project as "move" tight ends or H-backs, who can line up in various places in the offense to create mismatches. None of them came close to matching Casey's numbers at Rice.

"Casey might have the best ball skills of anyone at his position," Mayock says.

link

I'm not saying that he can't catch. He can. Can he block? The Bills probably won't draft him here if he can't.

I'm not saying that *I* wouldn't be happy if the Bills drafted him here. I just don't think it'll happen.

I'm not saying that he can't catch. He can. Can he block? The Bills probably won't draft him here if he can't.

I'm not saying that *I* wouldn't be happy if the Bills drafted him here. I just don't think it'll happen.

got it :thumbsup:

still keeping my fingrs crossed - we've had a surprisingly good draft so far...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

i have changed it already....only for you ;-)

Joke.. ,-)

:D

Now, change it back. :D

It was better when people actually had to look it up, and then learned something. Sometimes you have to trick us Americans into thinking and learning. :thumbsup:

To me, the Bills have one average TE in Derek Fine who does nothing well, and one Shouman, who does nothing at all. We will probably need two of them. I think it would be very reasonable to draft Nelson or even Casey (who can't block) because he does a LOT of stuff well, and also sign a veteran FA TE who is known as a blocker. Those can be found anywhere.

I still think Scheffler must be on the block though.

got it :thumbsup:

still keeping my fingrs crossed - we've had a surprisingly good draft so far...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Good draft? Not one of these guys has produced yet. Bums and busts! The whole bunch of them, bums and busts!