Official Draft Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just stupid. It really is. If you're going to take a flyer on a kid in the 6th or 7th, great, go ahead. But to draft two similar, undersized players at an overstocked position with not a ton of upside is just plain dumb. It's impossible that both of them are making the roster, and it's highly likely neither of them will unless they cut Corner or Youboty, which would be even more dumb. If you like one of them a lot and want to develop him on the PS great. But we need projects at TE and OT and LB and DT and DE, too.

Totally agree with you.

Gil Brandt just said that LaBeau is sick that we got Lankster, cause Pittsburgh wanted him in Rd 7. Interesting.

Everyone said they really like what the Bills did this weekend, FWIW...

Not the first time Brandt has heaped praise on the kid. Last week someone called Brandt from Pittsburg asking about Roscoe Parrish. Brandt response was: After more or less trashing Roscoe.... re his size. There is a kid from WV ...

and I am fairly certain it was Lankster he was talking about.

It's just stupid. It really is. If you're going to take a flyer on a kid in the 6th or 7th, great, go ahead. But to draft two similar, undersized players at an overstocked position with not a ton of upside is just plain dumb. It's impossible that both of them are making the roster, and it's highly likely neither of them will unless they cut Corner or Youboty, which would be even more dumb. If you like one of them a lot and want to develop him on the PS great. But we need projects at TE and OT and LB and DT and DE, too.

Nah, we can find another Pro Bowl OT on the street. Hey, it worked once, right?

I'm all right with the first five picks, but there's room to argue that a monkey with a dartboard could have equaled the "haul" in Rounds 5-7. Good thing this team has plenty of depth. ;)

Gil Brandt just said that LaBeau is sick that we got Lankster, cause Pittsburgh wanted him in Rd 7. Interesting.

That's right Pittsburgh! You just sit there and take it like you did when we stole Ryan Denney from you. ;)

Amen.

You know what the most idiotic part of it is? There's a good chance that the Bills will draft a CB in R1 next year. McGee is 30 and his contract is almost up. They'll need a replacement. Joy.

The Bills have now drafted 10 DBs in the last four drafts. It sure would be nice if they'd put half that much effort into some other positions.

Amen.

You know what the most idiotic part of it is? There's a good chance that the Bills will draft a CB in R1 next year. McGee is 30 and his contract is almost up. They'll need a replacement. Joy.

The Bills have now drafted 10 DBs in the last four drafts. It sure would be nice if they'd put half that much effort into some other positions.

The Bills take a corner in the first next year, then Im becoming a Steeler fan.

Im not bitching about the Wood pick or the Levitre pick. In fact I hope Wood starts at C, I like his nastiness and Hangartner is the back C/G. I hope Levitre develops into a solid pro. Jeez homers, all Im saying instead of drafting our 7th corner in round 6, maybe, just maybe, some depth at OT was a bigger priority.

I would think that the staff would be the best judge of that. Huh?

Id trade next years 7th round right now to take Willy and develop him, plus it prevents the Bills from drafting a CB in round 7 next year, a win-win.

Our 7th is reserved for Michael Vick, sorry. We can give next years 1st for him and not waste it on a CB, if it makes you feel better. ;)

I think DJ does this because he knows how hated he is among Bills fans. I don't think he'll be involved in another Bills draft. After all, he was involved with 4 in Chicago until the McCaskey's finally saw the light.

Nah, we can find another Pro Bowl OT on the street. Hey, it worked once, right?

I'm all right with the first five picks, but there's room to argue that a monkey with a dartboard could have equaled the "haul" in Rounds 5-7. Good thing this team has plenty of depth. ;)

I would trade a first for a GM with a record like Polian, Parcells, Newsome, or Jerry Reese to work as GM on this team. Regardless of this draft, there is a distinct need for someone with a personnel background to handle GM duties in Buffalo. Sadly, I think they'll find a reason to retain the management structure for the forseeable future.

I would think that the staff would be the best judge of that. Huh?

That explanation hasn't worked so well, the last nine years or so. Just sayin' ...

I think DJ does this because he knows how hated he is among Bills fans. I don't think he'll be involved in another Bills draft. After all, he was involved with 4 in Chicago until the McCaskey's finally saw the light.

I would trade a first for a GM with a record like Polian, Parcells, Newsome, or Jerry Reese to work as GM on this team. Regardless of this draft, there is a distinct need for someone with a personnel background to handle GM duties in Buffalo. Sadly, I think they'll find a reason to retain the management structure for the forseeable future.

Now you've got me wondering ...

Bears drafts 1999-2003:

2003	1	1	14	14	Michael Haynes	DE	Penn State
	2	1	22	22	Rex Grossman	QB	Florida
	3	2	3	35	Charles Tillman	DB	Louisiana-Lafayette
	4	3	4	68	Lance Briggs	LB	Arizona
	5	4	3	100	Todd Johnson	DB	Florida
	6	4	19	116	Ian Scott	DT	Florida
	7	5	4	139	Bobby Wade	WR	Arizona
	8	5	8	143	Justin Gage	WR	Missouri
	9	5	36	171	Tron Lafavor	DT	Florida
	10	6	18	191	Joe Odom	LB	Purdue
	11	6	33	206	Brock Forsey	RB	Boise State
	12	7	47	261	Bryan Anderson	G	Pittsburgh

2002	1	1	29	29	Marc Colombo	T	Boston College
	2	3	7	72	Roosevelt Williams	DB	Tuskegee
	3	3	28	93	Terrence Metcalf	G	Mississippi
	4	4	6	104	Alex Brown	DE	Florida
	5	5	5	140	Bobby Gray	DB	Louisiana Tech
	6	5	30	165	Bryan Knight	LB	Pittsburgh
	7	6	27	199	Adrian Peterson	RB	Georgia Southern
	8	6	31	203	Jamin Elliott	WR	Delaware
	9	6	38	210	Bryan Fletcher	TE	UCLA

2001	1	1	8	8	David Terrell	WR	Michigan
	2	2	7	38	Anthony Thomas	RB	Michigan
	3	3	6	68	Mike Gandy	G	Notre Dame
	4	4	8	103	Karon Riley	DE	Minnesota
	5	5	7	138	Bernard Robertson	T	Tulane
	6	7	8	208	John Capel	WR	Florida

2000	1	1	9	9	Brian Urlacher	LB	New Mexico
	2	2	8	39	Mike Brown	DB	Nebraska
	3	3	7	69	Dez White	WR	Georgia Tech
	4	3	25	87	Dustin Lyman	LB	Wake Forest
	5	4	31	125	Reggie Austin	DB	Wake Forest
	6	6	4	170	Frank Murphy	RB	Kansas State
	7	6	8	174	Paul Edinger	K	Michigan State
	8	7	17	223	James Cotton	LB	Ohio State
	9	7	48	254	Michael Green	DB	Northwestern State (LA)

1999	1	1	12	12	Cade McNown	QB	UCLA
	2	2	17	48	Russell Davis	DT	North Carolina
	3	3	5	66	Rex Tucker	T	Texas A&M
	4	3	10	71	D'Wayne Bates	WR	Northwestern
	5	3	17	78	Marty Booker	WR	N.E. Louisiana
	6	4	11	106	Warrick Holdman	LB	Texas A&M
	7	4	16	111	Rosevelt Colvin	DE	Purdue
	8	5	10	143	Jerry Wisne	G	Notre Dame
	9	5	11	144	Khari Samuel	LB	Massachusetts
	10	5	14	147	Jerry Azumah	DB	New Hampshire
	11	6	15	184	Rashard Cook	DB	USC
	12	7	15	221	Sulecio Sanford	WR	Middle Tennessee State
	13	7	47	253	James Finn	RB	Pennsylvania

Start buying your Steelers gear tomorrow, then. On second thought, maybe they wait until R2, but its doubtful.

God I hope not. Im a transplanted WNYer living in Pennsylvania in the heart of Steeler country. Its hard taking all their trash talk all the time. Im a die-hard Bills fan. But it doesnt mean I wont criticize when warranted. Its gets old hearing "your Bills suck". Its frustrating when you compare these 2 organizations. They draft a QB is Roethlisburger we get JP, they draft a S its Polamaulu we get Whitner. They have consistency in coaching. They always hit in LBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and turned Harrison into NFL defensive player of the year. But hey all I want is one Bills superbowl Win before I die.

So now that is time to start thinking about UDFAs

who should the Bills target?

I will tell you when the draft is actually over there are still 20 picks to go. There are compensatory picks when the round is finished.

The FO just registered a patent on the 11 DB defensive scheme and the 10 DB offensive scheme as well as the DB ST scheme. Were gonna have them kicking, passing, punting and blocking. Jauron will be an evil genius and out shine bellyfat and the cheaters yet.

I hear they are hiring the globe trotters coach to learn new trick plays.

I want to go on record as saying this draft was uneventful and mediocre at best. Maybins only hope is to move him to OLB and then he won't be a total bust. All the other picks were bargain choices to save money , cause after all a cheaper team is easier to sell. The only hopeful prospect is TE Nelson. We passed on high quality players for players who were happy to be chosen so early. It is obvious by drafting all the DB's, that Dicky J is still going with the Tampa Two defense. Hey Dick lighter and faster doesn't equal effective. Before all you DBM haters jump my shizzle, I just want to remind that I called JP Losman a bust day one and I was right. I also said even after the 5-1 start last year that we would end up .500 or worse and again, I was right. Don't get me wrong ...I am tired of being right, I want this team to prove me wrong, but they won't. This draft was a bust and a waste of viewing time for me ...our scouts obviously don't know talent. Or their hands are tied by a miserly owner who doesn't want to spend good money for good players. 7-9 here we come....again! :wallbash::lol:;)

Now you've got me wondering ...

Bears drafts 1999-2003:

2003	1	1	14	14	Michael Haynes	DE	Penn State
	2	1	22	22	Rex Grossman	QB	Florida
	3	2	3	35	Charles Tillman	DB	Louisiana-Lafayette
	4	3	4	68	Lance Briggs	LB	Arizona
	5	4	3	100	Todd Johnson	DB	Florida
	6	4	19	116	Ian Scott	DT	Florida
	7	5	4	139	Bobby Wade	WR	Arizona
	8	5	8	143	Justin Gage	WR	Missouri
	9	5	36	171	Tron Lafavor	DT	Florida
	10	6	18	191	Joe Odom	LB	Purdue
	11	6	33	206	Brock Forsey	RB	Boise State
	12	7	47	261	Bryan Anderson	G	Pittsburgh

2002	1	1	29	29	Marc Colombo	T	Boston College
	2	3	7	72	Roosevelt Williams	DB	Tuskegee
	3	3	28	93	Terrence Metcalf	G	Mississippi
	4	4	6	104	Alex Brown	DE	Florida
	5	5	5	140	Bobby Gray	DB	Louisiana Tech
	6	5	30	165	Bryan Knight	LB	Pittsburgh
	7	6	27	199	Adrian Peterson	RB	Georgia Southern
	8	6	31	203	Jamin Elliott	WR	Delaware
	9	6	38	210	Bryan Fletcher	TE	UCLA

2001	1	1	8	8	David Terrell	WR	Michigan
	2	2	7	38	Anthony Thomas	RB	Michigan
	3	3	6	68	Mike Gandy	G	Notre Dame
	4	4	8	103	Karon Riley	DE	Minnesota
	5	5	7	138	Bernard Robertson	T	Tulane
	6	7	8	208	John Capel	WR	Florida

2000	1	1	9	9	Brian Urlacher	LB	New Mexico
	2	2	8	39	Mike Brown	DB	Nebraska
	3	3	7	69	Dez White	WR	Georgia Tech
	4	3	25	87	Dustin Lyman	LB	Wake Forest
	5	4	31	125	Reggie Austin	DB	Wake Forest
	6	6	4	170	Frank Murphy	RB	Kansas State
	7	6	8	174	Paul Edinger	K	Michigan State
	8	7	17	223	James Cotton	LB	Ohio State
	9	7	48	254	Michael Green	DB	Northwestern State (LA)

1999	1	1	12	12	Cade McNown	QB	UCLA
	2	2	17	48	Russell Davis	DT	North Carolina
	3	3	5	66	Rex Tucker	T	Texas A&M
	4	3	10	71	D'Wayne Bates	WR	Northwestern
	5	3	17	78	Marty Booker	WR	N.E. Louisiana
	6	4	11	106	Warrick Holdman	LB	Texas A&M
	7	4	16	111	Rosevelt Colvin	DE	Purdue
	8	5	10	143	Jerry Wisne	G	Notre Dame
	9	5	11	144	Khari Samuel	LB	Massachusetts
	10	5	14	147	Jerry Azumah	DB	New Hampshire
	11	6	15	184	Rashard Cook	DB	USC
	12	7	15	221	Sulecio Sanford	WR	Middle Tennessee State
	13	7	47	253	James Finn	RB	Pennsylvania

By my count that's 8 DBs taken in 5 years. That's outrageous! It's a wonder he wasn't run out of the League for such hubris.

IMHO, the second most egregious sin he committed in most Bills fans eyes - is that he replaced Dave Wannstedt as Bears HC - which ended a particularly delicious schadenfreude. Of course, the first most unforgivable sin is his woeful record as HC of The Bills - followed quickly by sin 1-A - his record against the AFCE.

Tradition... Tradition! Tradition. Tradition!!!

Guest dog14787

I missed most of the fun today, but my younger bro said in his opinion out of all the teams in the NFL we had one of the best drafts out of everyone.

I had my heart set on Pettigrew or Coffman, but this Shawn Nelson fella sounds promising at TE, especially if he can beef up a little. He was able to produce good numbers even though he was double teamed most of the time.

I'm surprised at all the CB's again though, DJ's play toys I suppose ;)

God I hope not. Im a transplanted WNYer living in Pennsylvania in the heart of Steeler country. Its hard taking all their trash talk all the time. Im a die-hard Bills fan. But it doesnt mean I wont criticize when warranted. Its gets old hearing "your Bills suck". Its frustrating when you compare these 2 organizations. They draft a QB is Roethlisburger we get JP, they draft a S its Polamaulu we get Whitner. They have consistency in coaching. They always hit in LBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and turned Harrison into NFL defensive player of the year. But hey all I want is one Bills superbowl Win before I die.

The difference is in Pitt you have an owner who wants to win SuperBowls. In Buff, you have an owner who will do just enough to look like he is doing something...just enough to get our money. He is the labor faker of NFL owners. ;)

By my count that's 8 DBs taken in 5 years. That's outrageous! It's a wonder he wasn't run out of the League for such hubris.

IMHO, the second most egregious sin he committed in most Bills fans eyes - is that he replaced Dave Wannstedt as Bears HC - which ended a particularly delicious schadenfreude. Of course, the first most unforgivable sin is his woeful record as HC of The Bills - followed quickly by sin 1-A - his record against the AFCE.

Tradition... Tradition! Tradition. Tradition!!!

I counted nine? Either way, nothing to forecast the run on DBs by DJ since he got to Buffalo.

The difference is in Pitt you have an owner who wants to win SuperBowls. In Buff, you have an owner who will do just enough to look like he is doing something...just enough to get our money. He is the labor faker of NFL owners. ;)

Yeah the Rooneys are a class act. They keep the core Players--Hampton, Polamaulu, Hines Ward, gave Ben the money, etc. They had 3 coaches in 40 years. This one silver lining this upcoming year is knowing Jauron will be gone. If I was Wilson I would offer Cowher, anything and i do mean anything, GM or partial ownership, whatever it takes to become the Bills next coach.

Yeah the Rooneys are a class act. They keep the core Players--Hampton, Polamaulu, Hines Ward, gave Ben the money, etc. They had 3 coaches in 40 years. This one silver lining this upcoming year is knowing Jauron will be gone. If I was Wilson I would offer Cowher, anything and i do mean anything, GM or partial ownership, whatever it takes to become the Bills next coach.

Yeah, I wish you were Wilson also ..but you are not. Wilson is Wilson and will do nothing accept give Dicky J an extension, assuming Ralph is still alive. If he dies then a new, quality coach goes with the team to Toronto and they then become the good team they once were ;)

I will tell you when the draft is actually over there are still 20 picks to go. There are compensatory picks when the round is finished.

Here goes UDFA

Travis McCall OT/TE - Do a Jason Peters with him

Rylan Reed OT/TE - same as above

Agustus Parrish OT

Kyle Link

Valdez

QB

Hunter cantwell QB

Drew Willie or

Chase Holbrook

LB

Corey Smith