Whitner arrested in Cleveland

Beerball

Was Whittner charged with a count of being black too? Strange how we never hear about white players getting busted for being "disorderly." Sounds to me like another cop wanting to put an NFL player of color in his place. Just saying.

PTR

Good point Promo but we have no idea what happened. It might not be that at all.

But picking fights with police officers? At some point, regardless of whether you play professional sports for a living or not, common sense has GOT to kick in. Its not a question of fun, its a question of stupidity.

Malta you can't really say he was picking fights with police officers.

Actually it's kind of pointless to comment on this until we know the facts. Certainly we can speculate but why really?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But they are high character idiots.

That went out the window after the late John Butler left. It has been lip service from the One Bills Drive ever since. The main reason IMHO for this is that when John Butler left for San Diego, many of the Bills scouts followed him. They were a close knit group- John Butler and the scouts. John Butler always, always said that "high character" and football mentality were traits the Bills coveted foremost. And no I don't have a link to the conversations I had with him or the times I heard him on Larry Felser's or John Murphy's radio show on WBEN. One more thing for those of you too young to remember JB or never had a chance to meet him or listen to him talk about scouting players (which he did enthusiastically-all the time); John was a good guy, good sense of humor, would talk with you like you were his next door neighbor and had more humility one would expect given his position of eventually running the Bills organization.

Was Whittner charged with a count of being black too? Strange how we never hear about white players getting busted for being "disorderly." Sounds to me like another cop wanting to put an NFL player of color in his place. Just saying.

PTR

Cops want to put everyone in their place. A simple "No, sir. Yes, sir." and he walks. We have no idea what happened but 99% of the people who left that club did NOT get arrested.

I doubt a Cleveland cop recognized Donte. I wouldn't. In addition, he's not so huge that you'd automatically assume he's an NFL player. If he said, "I'm Donte Whitner of the Buffalo Bills", then he's a moron. Peons of all shapes/sizes/colors react the same way to that type of behavior.

Due to the racial makeup of the league, it's reasonable that there are twice as many stories (good or bad) regarding AA players.

Just sayin'

PTR

Way to fan the flames with stupidity. Quick, everyone complain about the media. :thumbdown:

What is going on? Why is everyone so quick to crucify Whitner? Just maybe there was an overzealous cop in Cleveland, just maybe he had a bone to pick with a pro athlete and decided he could take it out on a young black man named Whitner. Have you already forgotten about Moats in Houston? What did he do? NOTHING!

I know, what's up with that? I blatantly ran a red light in full view of a cop yesterday and was appalled that he had the temerity to pull me over. :thumbdown:

Cops want to put everyone in their place. A simple "No, sir. Yes, sir." and he walks. We have no idea what happened but 99% of the people who left that club did NOT get arrested.

Exactly right about being respectful to the police. I was told a long time ago, when the Police show up you shut up and me as respectful as possible. Because right then and right there they have all the power. Not saying the are always right but at that moment they are. Talking and trying to be a 'tough guy' will only land you in the back seat of a police car.

Oh and as far as the whole 'he is black thing'. When if ever is that going to stop? Did the President get elected because he is black??? Stop with the race card it is 2009 and we have a black president. Maybe just maybe Whitner was doing something stupid. We all have. And when the police showed up, some of us did what they told us to do and went home. Some of us did not and we went to jail.

disorderly conduct & resisting police

link

Things happen. They're human beings with emotions just like the rest of us. He just lost a loved one not that long ago, probably still grieving, and some one said something that set the guy off. I don't think it'll amount to much or defines him as a person.

I love people so quick to blame it on cops and color. The hard and cold REALITY is that being RIGHT isn't always being SMART. For example, if you get pulled over by a cop and he asks you why you were going so fast, do you really think refusing to answer him is the SMART thing to do? Do you really believe that refusing to answer will produce better results for you than saying, "I'm sorry officer, I didn't realize I was going over the limit?" When pulled over by a police officer, your #1 goal should be move on as quickly as possible. If you refuse to answer, the officer may suspect you're drunk or under the influence of drugs and ask you to exit the vehicle. YOU NEVER WANT TO BE ASKED TO EXIT THE VEHICLE! No one ever gets shot sitting in their driver's seat. No one gets arrested for being polite. No one spends the night in jail for cooperating.

Another example would be getting stopped on the street (which happened to me one night in Manhattan in front of my apartment). The cop pulled up in his car, shined the light on me and got out of the car and approached me. He asked for my name and address and then for identification. I was annoyed. The law doesn't require me to answer. But I had a split-second decision to make: BE RIGHT or BE SMART. If I just ignored him, do you think I would have slept in my comfy bed that night or would the probability of him slapping the cuffs on me for some bogus disorderly conduct charge have risen dramatically?

I told him my name, showed him my license and two minutes later, he was gone. Let's say I refused to answer him. Imagine the worst-case scenario: He calls for backup. More cop cars pull up. They order me up against the wall for an illegal frisk. I refuse. They pull out their clubs and start beating me. Or someone pulls out their service weapon and points it at my head. Or some juiced up donut muncher tackles me and smashes my face into the pavement, while they cuff me, then throw me in the back of the car, take me down to central booking, and have me arraigned on charges of resisting arrest, assaulting a police officer, and disorderly conduct. I spend 37 hours in an underground cell with criminal scumbags eating bologna sandwiches and unable to sleep. Then I get arraigned in front of the judge, have to hire an attorney, and have to return to court several times.

Even if I get all of the charges dropped, I'm out a huge amount of cash and time, and probably my job if I didn't show up for work for 3 days. And don't think you can easily sue and win on a case like this. The cops will line up to testify that you ran, or you tried to grab his gun, or you shoved him first. The legal process of suing the NYPD takes years and juries won't give you any money unless you have a permanent injury. Hurt feelings and the indignity of spending 2 nights in jail just won't cut the mustard.

PTR

Ed Belfour :thumbdown:

Until the facts come out regarding this incident then all of us should use some restraint in raising judgment.

In NY the charge of Disorderly Conduct is classified as a violation (not a misdemeanor as some of you have implied) and the charge of Resisting Arrest is classified as a misdemeanor. A violation usually carries a fine and up to 15 days in jail (rare) and Resisting Arrest can carry fines and up to 1 year in jail (also rare unless there was injury to the officer). There is no aggravated Disorderly Conduct charge in NY.

Resisting Arrest can work in several ways.

1. The person being placed under arrest is severely verbally resistive (BS reason to lay the charge) or is physically resisting being taken into custody.

2. Another person who is not currently being arrested impedes an officer from making an arrest of another person either physically or verbally. i.e. you jump in front of the officer trying to take your friend into custody.

These charges are typical of what one may expect in late night-bar type situations.

I am not crucifying Whitner. I am sick of Buffalo players ending up in the media for all the wrong reasons these days. Did I say he was guilty?

and yah I guess all black men now get a pass because of the Moats thing. :thumbdown:

Everyone has found him guilty. Whitner has been convicted in the court of public opinion already. There is no benefit of doubt anymore. You miss the point, black men are seen by the police totally different than whites. If I was sitting in a Benz in Culver City I'll bet you any amount of money that a cop doesn't even give me a second look.

I was intially offended this comment :thumbdown: ... then sadly I realized it is true (except I think you meant to say dribble) :wallbash::doh:

Whitner constantly posting twitter updates, facebook status updates, and blogs about what he's doing every single second is dribble. And a tell-tale sign.

When we hear Barack in the same sentence with '3:00 am sidewalk melee,' we'll talk....

I am not sure what that means. But i can tell you Barack would never put himself in that position.

A he would not associate with people that would put him inthat scenario.

B he has enough intelligence to understand what he could loose by doing so.

Oh and i am not a Barack man by any means. But intelligence and stupidty transcend color. When some people decide to let the history be history, then all racism can stop. By both black and white. And yes it is that simple, and yes it is that hard.

Everyone has found him guilty. Whitner has been convicted in the court of public opinion already. There is no benefit of doubt anymore. You miss the point, black men are seen by the police totally different than whites. If I was sitting in a Benz in Culver City I'll bet you any amount of money that a cop doesn't even give me a second look.

I see your point, but I think it's overly assumed alot. I have been pulled over numerous times as a young white male. Is it because I'm young? Maybe. Should I act disrespectful towards a police officer because I suspect he has tageted me? I also have been pulled over by a black cop, who I felt got his rocks off by degrading what he deems to be a spoiled white boy. I grew up far from spoiled, should I have made a scene? My point is, life is not always fair, don't compound problems by acting like an idiot. It seems like public opinon is just as quick to judge the cops as they are a black man, IMO. It has gotten to the point where every situation is looked at from a race standpoint. Is it ever going to end? Why do these integrated police forces, only target black males? Why was this cop assumed to be white? Why is it that racial targeting is just assumed? You have hundreds of camera phones walking out of the club, and everyone wants to get over on a cop. You would think this hate crime would have been documented.

Funny how people rush to judgement before all the details are even released.

Guilty till proven innocent

Overreaction is the only reaction.

Marv is a liar about high character because a player he drafter 3 years ago got arrested.

Whitner is not only one of the biggest 1st round busts ever, he is a thug.

No one on this board has ever been out late or in trouble.

The Bills are the Bengals.

The team is moving to Toronto this season but will have to draft a new team because our felon players can't get across the border.

Cops are never power hungry or envious of young rich guys.

Anymore I forgot? It's amazing what people can determine from a half page article. :thumbdown: