Considering a Transfer

As far as the school work goes, sounds like your a good student & will take care of business anywhere. I never had real good grades. The job I have now the only reason why I got the job is because the manager who was hiring was an alum from Canisius. She even told me in the interview I was not qualified for the job but she was going to consider me anyways because I graduated from Canisius.

You raise a point I considered adding earlier. While others have noted a much larger alumni from a bigger college should help with finding a job, when you leave, it is my feeling that smaller colleges (and private colleges in particular) do a better job of taking care of their own.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no one answer for everyone. Large schools work better for some, small schools for others. There are certainly more options in a larger school and many have an easy time creating a tight group of friends, often through where they live, what activities they do and/or where they work. Others cannot stand the sheer anonymity of it and prefer a tighter overall community that a small school can provide.

You certainly are unhappy. Sometimes the reason for your unhappiness is not what you initially think. Are there other things going on in your life that is making you unhappy? Did you feel unhappy at all before you went college? Once you are sure that it is Le Moyne and that UB does not suffer from the same problems, go for it. You will get a degree either way, but why be unhappy while doing so if you do not have to be?

A best friend of mine went to Union and hated it there. He eventually transferred to UR and flourished. Certainly such a change can pay off big time.

I fully aware of whats at stake in terms of a degree. I have a 3.8 GPA in psychology. But i am not enjoying myself in colelge and it stems back to the gossip and school spirit. If i can get a similar or better education for cheaper and possibly be in a more fun atmosphere why wouldnt i take that chance?

Seems to me that a lot of kids that went to school for psychology end up getting a job in a different field .

I visited UB today and as soon as i walked on campus i felt a little intimidated because of the sheer size of the campus compared to my 2000 students here at le moyne but walking around campus i felt more and more comfortable. When i walked into the student union i felt like everything ive been missing out on was in there. So much action and stuff going on. All the students actually in a union and not just sitting in their rooms. I was excited to see the rest of campus and its just a completly different world. I loved the tour felt so comfortable there it was awesome.

We decided we had time to go talk to a psych counselor and the number of opportunities available to me through the psych program was amazing. As soon as i get my acceptance letter im sending in my deposit. :lol:

I visited UB today and as soon as i walked on campus i felt a little intimidated because of the sheer size of the campus compared to my 2000 students here at le moyne but walking around campus i felt more and more comfortable. When i walked into the student union i felt like everything ive been missing out on was in there. So much action and stuff going on. All the students actually in a union and not just sitting in their rooms. I was excited to see the rest of campus and its just a completly different world. I loved the tour felt so comfortable there it was awesome.

We decided we had time to go talk to a psych counselor and the number of opportunities available to me through the psych program was amazing. As soon as i get my acceptance letter im sending in my deposit. :lol:

Great news, HR. Hope everything works out for you.

Hope it works out well for you. When you are making millions let us know so you can share :>)

I will expect you to attend as many UB football games as possible. They are free for students. In fact please consider joining "True Blue", the student athletics boosters. They do some great stuff. Also visit UBFan.com for college sports chat.

PTR

O ill be there PTR :devil:....... ill be the one in the front row with my chest and face painted

You can still transfer down here to FSU. My girl has hot single friends, and "good enough" looking slutty ones. I remember you were having some troubles with a lady friend of yours, and FSU will definitely help you get passed that. Southern women are amazing. Every male from the north should come down and get themselves one.

Ultimately, go where it makes you happy. I went to Clarkson as an undergrad with ~2500 undergrads because i also wasn't too keen on going to a huge university. Now, i've been at FSU for over 5 years with their 40,000+ students. Both places have their advantages and disadvatages, but size doesn't matter. :devil: Large schools can be just as personal as small ones, and even here, class size in the upper level classes is 20 or so. You'll get to know the people in your department a lot better. One big advantage of a big school is that you have the ability to get "away" right on campus when you need to, and not have to worry about running into people you know.

I will expect you to attend as many UB football games as possible. They are free for students. In fact please consider joining "True Blue", the student athletics boosters. They do some great stuff. Also visit UBFan.com for college sports chat.

PTR

Blus/White game this Saturday. Supposed to be a nice sunny day, I'll be there...!

You can still transfer down here to FSU. My girl has hot single friends, and "good enough" looking slutty ones. I remember you were having some troubles with a lady friend of yours, and FSU will definitely help you get passed that. Southern women are amazing. Every male from the north should come down and get themselves one.

Ultimately, go where it makes you happy. I went to Clarkson as an undergrad with ~2500 undergrads because i also wasn't too keen on going to a huge university. Now, i've been at FSU for over 5 years with their 40,000+ students. Both places have their advantages and disadvatages, but size doesn't matter. :devil: Large schools can be just as personal as small ones, and even here, class size in the upper level classes is 20 or so. You'll get to know the people in your department a lot better. One big advantage of a big school is that you have the ability to get "away" right on campus when you need to, and not have to worry about running into people you know.

Man. One of my biggest regrets is not going to school in a warm climate. Don't get me wrong. i went to a well thought of academic school, got to play football, and had a great group of friends. But every time I see schools like FSU, USC, any school in Arizona, I get a little jealous. Granted, I'm jealous for all the wrong reasons but it is my thought that it is what you do is in school rather than what school you go to that helps you in the future.

Man. One of my biggest regrets is not going to school in a warm climate. Don't get me wrong. i went to a well thought of academic school, got to play football, and had a great group of friends. But every time I see schools like FSU, USC, any school in Arizona, I get a little jealous. Granted, I'm jealous for all the wrong reasons but it is my thought that it is what you do is in school rather than what school you go to that helps you in the future.

I hear ya. I went to Clarkson for all the "right" reasons. Had a great group of friends, played hockey, etc. If i had to do it all over again tho, I'm not sure i'd make the same choice. FSU has been a ton of fun.

• 4 weeks later...

So its been a while since i first posted this.... Havent heard yet from UB but i should know by early next week. The only problem now is the economy. With the economy in the shitter alot of people are moving to state schools. I could be a victim of numbers :P

I'm 100% committed to going (assuming i get in) and just rereading this thread i thought i should clarify some things.

When i spoke about school spirit here at Le Moyne i guess what i meant was many students have a negative attitude about the school. People from other schools come visit and say things like "o we have such and such at our school" and the automatic response from many kids here is "We dont have that because Le moyne sucks." After a while that really starts to wear on you and you dont feel proud walking to your class or wearing your school colors if your own classmates think it sucks here.

The social thing i was thinking about it a little today and i just hate the autmosphere here. Everything has to be a im better than so and so because they had this picture on their facebook. First of all facebook is the most retartded way to judge a person, secondly its incredably juvenile and pointless. The kids i surrounded myself with take this to an extreme and no one is good enough for them. I brought this girl over one night to watch a movie and all my suitemates and their gf's kept giving her looks and then me looks and when i went out of my room to go to the bathroom once i heard them talking sh-- about her and they had litteral just met her. When i first started hanging out with them i either didnt notice it or they have become more open about it. Quite frankly its upsetting, that girl wasnt exactly a model but she was really pretty and fun as hell and she was upset because of the way the looked at her. that pissed me off.

All in all im more excited about the change (should it occur) And im planing on buying season tickets in the tunnel endzone if i do. So hopefully ill see you all there

So its been a while since i first posted this.... Havent heard yet from UB but i should know by early next week. The only problem now is the economy. With the economy in the shitter alot of people are moving to state schools. I could be a victim of numbers :censored:

I'm 100% committed to going (assuming i get in) and just rereading this thread i thought i should clarify some things.

When i spoke about school spirit here at Le Moyne i guess what i meant was many students have a negative attitude about the school. People from other schools come visit and say things like "o we have such and such at our school" and the automatic response from many kids here is "We dont have that because Le moyne sucks." After a while that really starts to wear on you and you dont feel proud walking to your class or wearing your school colors if your own classmates think it sucks here.

The social thing i was thinking about it a little today and i just hate the autmosphere here. Everything has to be a im better than so and so because they had this picture on their facebook. First of all facebook is the most retartded way to judge a person, secondly its incredably juvenile and pointless. The kids i surrounded myself with take this to an extreme and no one is good enough for them. I brought this girl over one night to watch a movie and all my suitemates and their gf's kept giving her looks and then me looks and when i went out of my room to go to the bathroom once i heard them talking sh-- about her and they had litteral just met her. When i first started hanging out with them i either didnt notice it or they have become more open about it. Quite frankly its upsetting, that girl wasnt exactly a model but she was really pretty and fun as hell and she was upset because of the way the looked at her. that pissed me off.

All in all im more excited about the change (should it occur) And im planing on buying season tickets in the tunnel endzone if i do. So hopefully ill see you all there

The Facebook Battle at Le Moyne College: Good of you to think the better of that gal and ignore these clowns. Very good...that is what a man of honor does.

You seem to be at a tipping point. So let me give you a shove. Choose that path of humanity, study and learn whatever you have chosen, change colleges if the academics aren't challenging enough (and be sure that you do your part, before rejecting instructors for not hammering things into your skull - that is not their job).

And don't let these cheesy, buzzing, self-serving gnats you described get to you. Some pithy yet effective advice: After being heavily exposed to such, at earliest opportunity if you have enough coin in the pocket - go to a breakfast joint, and buy a newspaper and order up bacon, eggs, toast, whatever. Read page 1, the things going on in the world that you need pay attention to. Shake your head about these Facebook fools for 5 seconds saying to yourself - "what a bunch of idiots".

When your meal arrives, have a another chuckle and turn the page.

So its been a while since i first posted this.... Havent heard yet from UB but i should know by early next week. The only problem now is the economy. With the economy in the shitter alot of people are moving to state schools. I could be a victim of numbers <_<

I strongly advise you to consider Ramius' offer (if only presented half-jokingly). UB is fine (one of my alma-maters, for law school), but if you are serious about school spirit and atmosphere, I would at least take a look at FSU. Take a weekend trip and visit Tallahassee and the campus. You might be very impressed.