Considering a Transfer

Alright im a psychology major at le moyne right now about to finish my sophomore year and i hate it there. There isnt enough to do and everyone there just gossips and im sick of it. Very little school spirit and just i cant do it anymore

So my dad suggested UB, footbll program basketball 15,000 people and alot to do. I know alot of people are from buffalo or went tot UB and i wanna know what you guys think of it? Any advice would be helpful

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright im a psychology major at le moyne right now about to finish my sophomore year and i hate it there. There isnt enough to do and everyone there just gossips and im sick of it. Very little school spirit and just i cant do it anymore

So my dad suggested UB, footbll program basketball 15,000 people and alot to do. I know alot of people are from buffalo or went tot UB and i wanna know what you guys think of it? Any advice would be helpful

I can't speak specifically to either school as I attended neither. However, one thing to keep in mind is that your class size and access to professors are likely to be far different than what you currently have. Not sure this even matters in your thinking.

I sincerely hope you follow your Father's advice. Being around home is always best.

Pros:

One of the better public universities.

A good deal if you are in-state (not bad for out-of-state either.)

Lots of campus activities.

Campus bus system

School spirit for sports never higher

Cons:

It's a huge school and can be impersonal

Amherst campus is HUGE and spread out. Forget walking it in bad weather.

You need a car to get to shopping, restaurants, etc. Too far to walk from dorms.

While sports are on the rise, it ain't on the level of SU....yet.

As far as the city of Buffalo goes, there is tons more to do than Syracuse. More bars, clubs, music venues etc. Of course a car will be useful to get there. There are a few pubs near the old UB Main campus but none near the Amherst campus. You'll have to head downtown, Allen St. or Elmwood to hit the nightlife.

PTR

I attended UB in the 80s, so I don't know how relevant my opinion would still be, but I'd STRONGLY discourage you from transferring.

The ramifications of these few yrs spent in school will have long term repercussions on your career & perhaps other aspects of your life.

I took at couple of classes at smaller colleges & the experience & what one got out of it was just SO superior.

FWIW, there was a time I considered making a (small) scholarship for people transferring from large universities to smaller schools.

Again, my opinion may well be outdated & I don't know you or your situation, just providing you w/ a certain perspective.

For me, attending a large school overall was a mistake.

Good luck whatever you choose.

The advice I have is from the late 70's through the mid 80's so, like SJayDee's it may be dated, but I would strongly ENCOURAGE to make the transfer. I attended UB and I taught at both UB and Canisius. I'm going to assume that Le Moyne, as a small Jesuit College, is comparable to Canisius.

There is simply no comparison between the resources available to you at a large institution like UB, and a small college. Of course, for some people, the more personal approach works better for them. Since you are already sick of the small-time approach of your school, perhaps a big open learning environment will work better for you. But, be prepared to take responsibility for your education. If you can handle that, UB is like another world, and the possibilities are endless.

i attended from 98-02, was also a psych major. did grad scool at canisius for counseling 03-05. i will give u facts from my own experience.

I loved UB, cool bball program to follow, and now football. decent gym to play pick up ball,exercise etc. they were technologically advanced when i was there. being you will be in your 3rd yr upon transfer, ur classes will be mostly small 300 n 400 level courses. I learned a lot from the professors there and i was a research assistant with one for 2 yrs. most profs are accomplished, write text books, publish studies etc. It is a much more diverse population than my experience from private schools, so u will get away from the small school gossip crap u r referring to.

i spent most of my weekends with friends in town or in canada. I highly recommend it. i advise living in some of the on campus apts for the on campus life, school network etc. in addition psych degrees are "worthless" unless u plan on going to grad school, so save some coin by transferring. any further questions PM me

i attended from 98-02, was also a psych major. did grad scool at canisius for counseling 03-05. i will give u facts from my own experience.

I loved UB, cool bball program to follow, and now football. decent gym to play pick up ball,exercise etc. they were technologically advanced when i was there. being you will be in your 3rd yr upon transfer, ur classes will be mostly small 300 n 400 level courses.

i spent most of my weekends with friends in town or in canada. I highly recommend it. i advise living in some of the on campus apts for the on campus life, school network etc. in addition psych degrees are "worthless" unless u plan on going to grad school, so save some coin by transferring. any further questions PM me

That's a good point, Stussy. I transferred to UB in my 3rd (undergrad) year, too. Actually, I thought I just might spend on semester back in WNY, but like it so much I stayed. Class size can be important, and it can also be overrated, IMO. At Canisius, there were plenty of small classes that taught precious little to the students. But, as a rule, the higher level courses are smaller, and even grad school courses are sometimes available to undergrads. Plus, if you are more concerned about an education, than paper documentation, you can go audit other courses on your own time...especially larger classes.

Where I disagree is with the assessment that a Psych degree is "worthless". A college degree, from a major university shouldn't be looked at as career training, IMO. Sure, there are some programs that correspond to professions, but in general it is an opportunity to study, find out what interests you and mostly...to learn to think. I think a good education is not a means to an end, but an end in itself. Also, liberal arts majors, and those from the social sciences will always have a place in just about every organization, for people who are smart and savvy.

My experience:

two degrees in chemistry: Canisius for undergrad and UB for grad school. I just finished UB in December, so my opinion is fresh.

I originally chose Canisius because I was intimidated by the large size of UB and quite frankly I wasn't ready to man up and face such a vast array of options. I enjoyed my experience there and learned a great deal academically and met some great people.....HOWEVER after being at UB for the last five years I realize that I probably would have benefited and grown more if I had attended ANY large university like UB.

As others have said, there are lots more opportunities to do cutting edge research, be exposed to more diverse cultures, and meet an exponentially larger number of future networking connections. I firmly believe that the college you attend is quite irrelevant after a few years, and the education that you receive is 90% dependent upon your personal desire to learn and WORK HARD. I advocate you making the transfer not for academic reasons, but because with all the academic and social opportunities at a large school like UB, you will mature faster and become a much more well-rounded, self-reliant individual.

You should also realize that just because you attend a school doesn't mean they will serve your career to you on a silver platter, you have to go out there and take it. The problem is, at a smaller school like Le Moyne, there aren't as many career opportunities on the menu in comparison to a place like UB.

My experience:

two degrees in chemistry: Canisius for undergrad and UB for grad school. I just finished UB in December, so my opinion is fresh.

I originally chose Canisius because I was intimidated by the large size of UB and quite frankly I wasn't ready to man up and face such a vast array of options. I enjoyed my experience there and learned a great deal academically and met some great people.....HOWEVER after being at UB for the last five years I realize that I probably would have benefited and grown more if I had attended ANY large university like UB.

As others have said, there are lots more opportunities to do cutting edge research, be exposed to more diverse cultures, and meet an exponentially larger number of future networking connections. I firmly believe that the college you attend is quite irrelevant after a few years, and the education that you receive is 90% dependent upon your personal desire to learn and WORK HARD. I advocate you making the transfer not for academic reasons, but because with all the academic and social opportunities at a large school like UB, you will mature faster and become a much more well-rounded, self-reliant individual.

You should also realize that just because you attend a school doesn't mean they will serve your career to you on a silver platter, you have to go out there and take it. The problem is, at a smaller school like Le Moyne, there aren't as many career opportunities on the menu in comparison to a place like UB.

Thats been bugging me alot to. I get the impression that my teachers although qualified cant offer me everything that i want or need to know.

I have a tour tomorrow of UB at one with like an accepted student day atmosphere even tho im not accepted yet haha. I let you guys know how it goes i appreaciate all the advice. Assuming i get in i think im gonna Transfer, unless i hate it there tomorrow

Happy Easter!

The advice I have is from the late 70's through the mid 80's so, like SJayDee's it may be dated, but I would strongly ENCOURAGE to make the transfer. I attended UB and I taught at both UB and Canisius. I'm going to assume that Le Moyne, as a small Jesuit College, is comparable to Canisius.

There is simply no comparison between the resources available to you at a large institution like UB, and a small college. Of course, for some people, the more personal approach works better for them. Since you are already sick of the small-time approach of your school, perhaps a big open learning environment will work better for you. But, be prepared to take responsibility for your education. If you can handle that, UB is like another world, and the possibilities are endless.

Le Moyne and canisius are very similar in fact it came down to those two schools when i was a senior and my sister was in syracuse so i decided to go to le moyne.

I dont regret going there but i need something different and i only get one shot at college

Le Moyne and canisius are very similar in fact it came down to those two schools when i was a senior and my sister was in syracuse so i decided to go to le moyne.

I dont regret going there but i need something different and i only get one shot at college

And unless you go to a powerhouse school (Dartmouth, Princeton, etc...which you are not), it doesn't matter much as long as you finish. If you get a degree worth something (sciences), it will also help. Otherwise, it's a piece of paper that gets you past a certain level in the job-searching process.

Your priorities from your first post were school spirit and gossips. It doesn't sound like like you are focused on what matters.

And unless you go to a powerhouse school (Dartmouth, Princeton, etc...which you are not), it doesn't matter much as long as you finish. If you get a degree worth something (sciences), it will also help. Otherwise, it's a piece of paper that gets you past a certain level in the job-searching process.

Your priorities from your first post were school spirit and gossips. It doesn't sound like like you are focused on what matters.

I fully aware of whats at stake in terms of a degree. I have a 3.8 GPA in psychology. But i am not enjoying myself in colelge and it stems back to the gossip and school spirit. If i can get a similar or better education for cheaper and possibly be in a more fun atmosphere why wouldnt i take that chance?

I fully aware of whats at stake in terms of a degree. I have a 3.8 GPA in psychology. But i am not enjoying myself in colelge and it stems back to the gossip and school spirit. If i can get a similar or better education for cheaper and possibly be in a more fun atmosphere why wouldnt i take that chance?

While I disagree with much of John Adam's post (and it clear that gossip is NOT your priority), I wouldn't change schools based on solely that and "school spirit". In fact, when I was at UB, school spirit was not very high. I'm going to guess that has changed recently, due to the improvement of their athletic program.

Honestly, though, I'm guessing those aren't the only, or even major, reasons you are considering the switch. Just the fact that you said you aren't enjoying yourself, is enough for me to suggest you should consider the transfer.

Grades are important, and so is the paper...but, neither should be the sole, or even most important goal, IMO. College is an experience you should be enjoying to the fullest, and the education you get doesn't stop in the classroom. I wouldn't be surprised, or terribly concerned, if your grades drop a little after you switch, as you will be faced with more options, that put a greater demand on your time, and on your mind. That's a good thing.

Obviously, I am not suggesting you should forget the importance of classroom instruction and grades. It's just that too many students get far too involved in the minutia of competition for As, at the expense of broadening their horizons. If you aren't having fun at college, you are missing out one of the few times in your life where fun is encouraged...or at least should be. It is where you learn to do well in life and work while having fun at the same time. If you don't learn that in college, you may never figure out how to do that once you face the working world of "adulthood".

While I disagree with much of John Adam's post (and it clear that gossip is NOT your priority), I wouldn't change schools based on solely that and "school spirit". In fact, when I was at UB, school spirit was not very high. I'm going to guess that has changed recently, due to the improvement of their athletic program.

Honestly, though, I'm guessing those aren't the only, or even major, reasons you are considering the switch. Just the fact that you said you aren't enjoying yourself, is enough for me to suggest you should consider the transfer.

Grades are important, and so is the paper...but, neither should be the sole, or even most important goal, IMO. College is an experience you should be enjoying to the fullest, and the education you get doesn't stop in the classroom. I wouldn't be surprised, or terribly concerned, if your grades drop a little after you switch, as you will be faced with more options, that put a greater demand on your time, and on your mind. That's a good thing.

Obviously, I am not suggesting you should forget the importance of classroom instruction and grades. It's just that too many students get far too involved in the minutia of competition for As, at the expense of broadening their horizons. If you aren't having fun at college, you are missing out one of the few times in your life where fun is encouraged...or at least should be. It is where you learn to do well in life and work while having fun at the same time. If you don't learn that in college, you may never figure out how to do that once you face the working world of "adulthood".

I think this post says exactly how i feel. At le moyne i really feel like im missing out on alot of college. The whole gossip and school spirit thing is sorta like being in middle school. Kids think it makes you cool to hate on the school and each other to boost their own self esteem. Sorry but i grew out of that at age 12. Sure i have fun at Le Moyne, there are some fun people there but i am not enjoying myself and i dont want to look back in 10 years and say man my 4 years of undergrad sucked. Thats my biggest fear....regret :thumbsup:

That's a good point, Stussy. I transferred to UB in my 3rd (undergrad) year, too. Actually, I thought I just might spend on semester back in WNY, but like it so much I stayed. Class size can be important, and it can also be overrated, IMO. At Canisius, there were plenty of small classes that taught precious little to the students. But, as a rule, the higher level courses are smaller, and even grad school courses are sometimes available to undergrads. Plus, if you are more concerned about an education, than paper documentation, you can go audit other courses on your own time...especially larger classes.

Where I disagree is with the assessment that a Psych degree is "worthless". A college degree, from a major university shouldn't be looked at as career training, IMO. Sure, there are some programs that correspond to professions, but in general it is an opportunity to study, find out what interests you and mostly...to learn to think. I think a good education is not a means to an end, but an end in itself. Also, liberal arts majors, and those from the social sciences will always have a place in just about every organization, for people who are smart and savvy.

I totally agree with your worthless asessment which is why i put it in quotes. Being an avid student of psychology and human behavior made me a much better person in most areas of my life. However when push comes to shove, your options are limited after college in regards to finding a job in the field. Obviously being a college grad opens the door to many things, just in regards to psychology there is not much available. I attribute a lot of my success as an entrepreneur not only to my work experience with my father, but also with what i learned while a psych major.

I went to college w/ 10,000+ students and didn't find it impersonal at all. Who cares if you don't know every person on campus? You spend your time with your friends regardless (and the variety of women is much better). And IMO, class size is overrated. Other than maybe philosophy classes, I recall little parallel between class size and quality. Plus, as someone mentioned above, classes get smaller when you are an upperclassman anyway.

Bottom line is, if you are not happy where you are, you should make the change. You aren't going to get any happier staying put and later you'll regret pulling the trigger on the move.

It's a bad relationship just like any other. The sooner you cut the cord, the better off you'll be.

I agree with this. In alot of ways, my college years was the most fun time of my life. I got to say though in this post & several others Canisius gets a bad rap. I went there 2 years for my graduate degree & I had a ball there. Had an apartment with 3 other guys right off campus. At least when I went there we used to take drinking pretty seriously. We usedto have this quad party at the end of the year(always first friday in May) & that was legendary. Every apartment on the street(I lived on Loring) would get a keg & you would just go from house to house boozing it up all day. Kids from UB would show up & say nothing like this happens at UB. The cops & the public safety police would always turn a blind eye. I heard unfortunately alot of that has changed now(I went there in the mid 90s) & now they crack down on it & it is not as big.

As far as the school work goes, sounds like your a good student & will take care of business anywhere. I never had real good grades. The job I have now the only reason why I got the job is because the manager who was hiring was an alum from Canisius. She even told me in the interview I was not qualified for the job but she was going to consider me anyways because I graduated from Canisius.

With that being said, UB is really a special college. Just in value for your money, I truly believe it is one of the best values among colleges in this whole country. I shudder everytime someone tells me how much Canisius costs now per year. I think it is around $28K with room & board per year. Blows my mind how anybody affords it nowadays.