Per PFT: Bills Shopping Parrish

There is a guy who played in 1948-1956 or something that named Jim Cason who is at 14.1, and Roscoe is 14.0. It doesn't seem to me that most of the record books go back to the NFL in the 40s but I could be wrong about that.

14.0 for a year is great. 14.0 for a career is just plain sick.

We may need KRC to give us the definitive answer on "modern NFL football" and when records go back to. On the same pages of the pro football reference, the guys that played in the 40s are names that I don't think I ever see in lists of records so it may be that Roscoe is considered the best all-time by the official NFL record book. I am just not sure.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/lead..._ret_career.htm

I've figured the problem here.

NFL records require 75 attempts min. for a career average. Cason had 67 attempts in his career so therefore doesn't qualify for the official NFL record. RP has an astounding 94 returns and has maintained that average. Mind you.....as we saw with Hester.....one bad season can drag the average way back down again.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a league source, the Bills are shopping Parrish, primarily as an exploratory measure.

Exploritory measure to me means that they are not actively trying to trade Parrish, but will listen to offers. If there is an offer they can't refuse they make the trade, but it has to be a very good offer. I don't think it's uncommon or that surprising and it probably happens all the time....

Because then we lose perhaps the league's best KR. McGee is probably a little too banged up to be a full-time KR these days although I am not sure about that. Fred Jackson MAY be a good KR but we have no real evidence of that.

I think the point is that we're not going to likely get a 2nd round pick for him and a 3rd round pick just doesn't seem to be enough. Especially considering the Bills don't really draft all that well.

Thats a fair opinion. All I'm saying is that he is more expendable than what many people would like to think, and that the Bills FO wouldn't be doing their due diligence to see what is out there.

Thats a fair opinion. All I'm saying is that he is more expandable than what many people would like to think, and that the Bills FO wouldn't be doing their due diligence to see what is out there.

It's always good IMO to do that due diligence, as long as it doesn't leak out too much and the player thinks you want to get rid of him, feels disrespected and starts to pout. And I think that if we get a player, a starter, for Parrish, like, say, Scheffler or Brian Waters, then it would be worth it to move him. We could surely get by with Leodis at KR spelled once in a while by McGee/Jackson, and Jackson at PR spelled once in awhile by Leodis if we needed a big return.

And if Scheffler or Waters are available for a 3rd or a 4th as has been speculated about both them and Roscoe, then it seems reasonable that a swap could be made. Or at least it isn't out of the realm of possibility. I am just against trading him for a 4th or a 3rd round pick that is just going to get us Chris Ellis or Derek Fine.

I've figured the problem here.

NFL records require 75 attempts min. for a career average. Cason had 67 attempts in his career so therefore doesn't qualify for the official NFL record. RP has an astounding 94 returns and has maintained that average. Mind you.....as we saw with Hester.....one bad season can drag the average way back down again.

Thanks. That makes sense because I saw the list of the all-time leaders last year and Cason wasn't on there.

I just don't see the use in trading a guy who averages 16 yards every time he touches the ball, changes the way opposing teams gameplan and is a legit threat to score on every punt return.

I assume it would mean putting Jackson on returns - and that guy (if he shows up) is gonna already be carrying the ball 20 times a guy for the first three weeks. So who would return?

I just don't see the use in trading a guy who averages 16 yards every time he touches the ball, changes the way opposing teams gameplan and is a legit threat to score on every punt return.

I assume it would mean putting Jackson on returns - and that guy (if he shows up) is gonna already be carrying the ball 20 times a guy for the first three weeks. So who would return?

Well said.

It's always good IMO to do that due diligence, as long as it doesn't leak out too much and the player thinks you want to get rid of him, feels disrespected and starts to pout.

How do we know that Roscoe didnt ask the FO to seek a trade? It has been said that he thinks he can be a legitamate receiving threat and thats what he really wants to do with his career.

Roscoe recently signed a 3 year $12.31 million contract extension thru 2011 that puts his current Cap figure at $2.75 million. If they did move him it would be just a salary dump situation. i do NOT think he has "starter" talent at Wide Receiver , he is either our 4th or 5th best WR, so that is alot to pay a backup. He is a tremendous Punt Returner who can stop on a dime in traffic and make people miss. Hate to use McKelvin as a PR as they get killed. I'm leaning towards he is a luxury i want to hang on to. i think others like schoebel & kelsay are NOT pulling their Cap Value weight and i would look to replace/cut them first.

Agreed. The NFL's best teams have playmakers. Roscoe is one of the only members of the team who is a playmaking threat. This Bills team for whatever reason seems to get injured more than the league average - so if Josh Reed goes down, who plays slot? Johnson? Evans? TO? Hardy? None of those guys are slot players and the Bills don't have a TE on the roster who can catch over the middle. Plus what happens next season when TO is gone, Roscoe is hypothetically off the roster, and Hardy proves to be a bust. That leaves the Bills with no Z receiver, as Evans and Reed are Y and X? Again, assuming Hardy sucks.

Also, the Bills are not very deep at CB and RB (1st 3 weeks at least). Do we really want 1st teamers - Freddy and Leodis back there on every return? Look what happened to Hester when he became an every down player.

Agreed. The NFL's best teams have playmakers. Roscoe is one of the only members of the team who is a playmaking threat. This Bills team for whatever reason seems to get injured more than the league average - so if Josh Reed goes down, who plays slot? Johnson? Evans? TO? Hardy? None of those guys are slot players and the Bills don't have a TE on the roster who can catch over the middle. Plus what happens next season when TO is gone, Roscoe is hypothetically off the roster, and Hardy proves to be a bust. That leaves the Bills with no Z receiver, as Evans and Reed are Y and X? Again, assuming Hardy sucks.

Also, the Bills are not very deep at CB and RB (1st 3 weeks at least). Do we really want 1st teamers - Freddy and Leodis back there on every return? Look what happened to Hester when he became an every down player.

but the Bills need that extra pick to draft another slow, small back up LB who can only play ST :thumbdown: