Houston Texans RB detained while Mother-in Law dies

KG4ZDX

Just read on msnbc.com that Ryan Moats, a running back for the Texans was detained in a hospital parking while his mother-in-law died. Ryan ran a stop light to get the the hospital early in the AM. The cop pulled is gun and ordered his wife back into the SUV but she took off for the hospital and was able to be with her mother as she died. Two nurses and a police officer urged the arresting officer to let Ryan go to his mother-in-law's side but in essence refused to release him. No wonder Lynch said there is a target on his and every NFL player's back. BTW the cop was white and Ryan is black. He is off patrol and on a desk job. Go to msnbc.com and look under sports for the complete article.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read on msnbc.com that Ryan Moats, a running back for the Texans was detained in a hospital parking while his mother-in-law died. Ryan ran a stop light to get the the hospital early in the AM. The cop pulled is gun and ordered his wife back into the SUV but she took off for the hospital and was able to be with her mother as she died. Two nurses and a police officer urged the arresting officer to let Ryan go to his mother-in-law's side but in essence refused to release him. No wonder Lynch said there is a target on his and every NFL player's back. BTW the cop was white and Ryan is black. He is off patrol and on a desk job. Go to msnbc.com and look under sports for the complete article.

What a jackass! I hope he loses his job. Fortunately his wife was able to be with her mother. This is just stupid.

Did the officer "smell pot and see blunts?"

The article did not mention any drugs at all. Even so with the urging of a fellow police office he refused to release him until he was finished writing the citation.

The article did not mention any drugs at all. Even so with the urging of a fellow police office he refused to release him until he was finished writing the citation.

Doesn't matter. The cops are beyond reproach. At least that's what I've been told.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-nfl...Player-Stopped/

Here's a link to an article on Comcast's website. I just read it too. That cop seems like he was being a complete jerk. Sad that they didn't make it inside in time.

According to the MSNBC article, the wife did make it inside before her mother passed away. She just ran from the car, even though the jerk cop told her to stay inside the car. Moats stayed until the citation was done, but he didn't get into the hospital until afterwards.

Most white cops have no clue how to deal with minorities. It is just a real shame. For the most part I believe racial relations especially amongst blacks and whites are much better than when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. However, that seems to be more the case amongst somewhat educated white people. A lot of cops are just stupid meatheads who use their badge as an excuse to bully people especially black males. It is too bad that cops get paid so poorly, because if they were paid better, maybe their would be a higher quality cop who had an ounce of common sense. Until than, black athletes will be on the most wanted list of most police departments.

All you conservatives on the board can flame away if you like now.

Most white cops have no clue how to deal with minorities. It is just a real shame. For the most part I believe racial relations especially amongst blacks and whites are much better than when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. However, that seems to be more the case amongst somewhat educated white people. A lot of cops are just stupid meatheads who use their badge as an excuse to bully people especially black males. It is too bad that cops get paid so poorly, because if they were paid better, maybe their would be a higher quality cop who had an ounce of common sense. Until than, black athletes will be on the most wanted list of most police departments.

No, I'm glad that you brought this up. When I read this article earlier today it really bothered me.

It reminded me of a recent subtle remark made by Jevon Kearse when I met him at a gas station last week. I met him because he was unable to change a $100.00 bill while I was waiting in line. I recognized him and offered to make the neccessary change for him. I then proceded to pay for my gas and buy a few scratch-off lottery tickets. When I went to pay for the services I didn't realize that I didn't have enough for both. I numbly (I was still starstruck for a moment) offered the $100.00 bill that I just changed for Jevon and Kearse said something to the effect that "They wouldn't do it for me but maybe they'll do it for you".

When I reflected on the whole experience later, I remembered and pondered that remark probably longer than any one thing during that whole meeting. I then dismissed it as it being just an oversensitive African-American athlete. To be fair I have heard these types of remarks from other African-Americans that I have known thru the years, some have even been good friends.

It's sad that this exists but it's even more disturbing that someone, anyone, could be so insensitive to another person in the time of crisis like what Ryan Moats and his family were going thru. It doesn't matter what the color was of any of the people involved, it's just bs that someone could be like that to another fellow human being but of course that it was a black and white incident only puts a more uglier, glaring light on the whole thing. It's too bad, that cop should should be ashamed of himself and also be ashamed of the reflection that he casts on his parents and his whole family.

I can tell you Tipster that as a black man, when I was a teenager getting ready to drive my dad told me and my brothers to act just as Moats did with the officer, if things seem to be going South - "Yes sir", "No sir" and attempt to get the badge number/information on the officer to complain later, NOT at the scene. My neighbor growing up was a 27 year NYPD vet (white) was one of the kindest people I've ever known and HE supported that method too.

In fact, a few of my white friends have argued with police officers about tickets, citations, etc and after they told me it happened I'd always reply, "you'd never catch me doing that..."

So, it does exist and I hope to God it never happens to a kid I have, but they'll be prepared for how to deal with it.

I can tell you Tipster that as a black man, when I was a teenager getting ready to drive my dad told me and my brothers to act just as Moats did with the officer, if things seem to be going South - "Yes sir", "No sir" and attempt to get the badge number/information on the officer to complain later, NOT at the scene. My neighbor growing up was a 27 year NYPD vet (white) was one of the kindest people I've ever known and HE supported that method too.

In fact, a few of my white friends have argued with police officers about tickets, citations, etc and after they told me it happened I'd always reply, "you'd never catch me doing that..."

So, it does exist and I hope to God it never happens to a kid I have, but they'll be prepared for how to deal with it.

If it's any consolation LynchMob23, I'm white and I share the same philosophy as you. It doesn't do anybody any good arguing or getting mouthy with a cop. It just gives them even more power and legal right to bust somebody up.

of course!lets pull out the racial card!oh my another black man pulled over by a white cop in the early hours of the morning gee it must be because the cop is a jerk!!!!HMMMM.it cant be hes doing his job or anything like that! and im really sure moats was a real sweetheart to the cop as im sure most professional athletes are when they get pulled over! hmm sat.the 22nd 4 police officers gunned down after a routine traffic stop in oakland!!!!!!!!!!! YES LETS BLAME THE COPS AND GLORIFY THE NEWS MEDIA BECAUSE AS EVERYONE KNOWS THE COPS ARE ALWAYS WRONG AND THE NEWS MEDIA IS DEFINITELY NOT BIASED!!!!!! UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa...d.6f8a23c1.html

One thing that was missed from this article - The Cop PULLED HIS GUN on the Moats' wife!

I think if this was a "normal" case, him and the city they're in would be getting sued (they still may be).

However, in this case with an NFL player I think he may just push for this guy to get fired and let it go there.

of course!lets pull out the racial card!oh my another black man pulled over by a white cop in the early hours of the morning gee it must be because the cop is a jerk!!!!HMMMM.it cant be hes doing his job or anything like that! and im really sure moats was a real sweetheart to the cop as im sure most professional athletes are when they get pulled over! hmm sat.the 22nd 4 police officers gunned down after a routine traffic stop in oakland!!!!!!!!!!! YES LETS BLAME THE COPS AND GLORIFY THE NEWS MEDIA BECAUSE AS EVERYONE KNOWS THE COPS ARE ALWAYS WRONG AND THE NEWS MEDIA IS DEFINITELY NOT BIASED!!!!!! UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

calm down, people will hear you yelling in the trailer park that you live in. what a redneck, you probably voted for bush twice as well, didn't you

Did you watch the video? Moats was very nice about it, all things considered.

It's sh------- cause it's true. I have a few cop stories myself that really would make you scratch your head and wonder if we let the right people carry guns to protect us. I think that the job attracts a certain type of person to it - those that want to feel empowered, but can't do it in an intellectual way. Maybe those types of people really are the best cops, but they need to be trained better for those situations and be better funded as a whole. Personally I think the training would suffice.

calm down, people will hear you yelling in the trailer park that you live in. what a redneck, you probably voted for bush twice as well, didn't you

so because i believe that cops put their lives on line everyday and get paid squat im a redneck?and that would make you what exactly?an idiot or just a plain moron?and what does bush have to do with it?and no didnt vote for him at all!!!maybe after 4 cops were gunned down for nothing just maybe he was cautious in pulling someone over in the early hours of the morning?people like you is what makes me ill!!!!!

Did you watch the video? Moats was very nice about it, all things considered.

yeah i saw the video and i dont see where the cop was a jerk and i dont see where he was wrong!!!what i see is a cop doing his job!

yeah i saw the video and i dont see where the cop was a jerk and i dont see where he was wrong!!!what i see is a cop doing his job!

He pulled his gun on people going to see their mother/mother-in-law take her last breaths. If he had his way, neither one of them would have made it in time.

The guy was a jerk. Remember, this all happened in the parking lot of the friggen hospital within a few feet of the entrance. It is not like this was miles away from the hospital.

He pulled his gun on people going to see their mother/mother-in-law take her last breaths. If he had his way, neither one of them would have made it in time.

The guy was a jerk. Remember, this all happened in the parking lot of the friggen hospital within a few feet of the entrance. It is not like this was miles away from the hospital.

he pulled up and a bunch of people got out in a hurry!a cops first instinct and what they do when someone gets out of the car is to draw their weapon and tell them to get back in the car.and is he supposed to know that thats why they are there?are they supposed to have esp now too?he did his job plain and simple!hes not at fault for that!and it doesnt make him wrong!and it doesnt matter if it was in a hospital parking lot or not he doesnt know why they are there!

A) Moats broke the law.

B) Location is irrelevant.

C) Leaping out of the car and running from cops is a bad idea.

D) Some people are dicks. Some people are cops. Ergo, some dicks are cops.

E) A few minutes of rational thought by anyone involved at some point could have avoided this situation.

A) Moats broke the law.

E) A few minutes of rational thought by anyone involved at some point could have avoided this situation.

[/quote

thats the perfect way of putting it!!!!

I think every car should be given police sirens and lights that can only be used once for the entire life of the car. If there is an emergency, you can use your sirens for 20 minutes and are allowed to break all traffic laws while they are on. After the 20 minutes are up, the car can never use them again. Moats could have used his sirens and the cop would have had to let him go.

:D

While I agree that the cop seemed like a jerk, I definitely will not fault him for pulling his weapon on someone that gets out of the car on their own, and then refuses numerous verbal commands to get back in the car, put their hands on the car, etc. THIS is how cops get killed. See: Oakland.

he pulled up and a bunch of people got out in a hurry!a cops first instinct and what they do when someone gets out of the car is to draw their weapon and tell them to get back in the car.and is he supposed to know that thats why they are there?are they supposed to have esp now too?he did his job plain and simple!hes not at fault for that!and it doesnt make him wrong!and it doesnt matter if it was in a hospital parking lot or not he doesnt know why they are there!

Yes, they got out in a hurry at a friggen hospital.

And what did he do when they told him the woman's mother was dying?

Given the tempers shown on this board, I can guaranty that most of us on TBD would not have been as calm as Moates was.

If my mother or mother-in-law was about to take her last breath, I would be a lot more upset than he was.

The cop showed very poor judgment. Part of being a good cop is not acting disproportionately to the situation at hand.

There are a lot of very good cops. This guy is not one of them.

Florio over at PFT has a good take on this:

Report: Powell Drew Gun On Moats’ Wife

Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2009, 5:36 p.m.

Lost in the brouhaha that has erupted regarding the shameful (in our opinion) incident that unfolded between Dallas police officer Robert Powell and Texans running back Ryan Moats is a report that Powell drew his gun on Moats’ wife.

Apparently, the weapon was pulled at the outset of the confrontation, when Moats’ wife tried to rush inside the nearby hospital.

“Get in there,” Powell said. “Let me see your hands. Get in there. Put your hands on the car.”

It should have been obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that a car with its hazard lights flashing that ran a red light and stopped in the parking lot of a hospital contains people who for whatever reason need to get inside said hospital.

This isn’t about Powell’s subsequent perception, right or wrong, that Moats had a bad attitude. From the moment Powell got out of the car, he was wired for a confrontation. Otherwise, he would have let Moats’ wife head to the hospital without incident.

The fact that Powell opted not to shoot her when she decided to ignore him proves that Powell knew what was happening. And yet he still opted to act like a royal ass.

We realize some are concerned that criticism of police officers might undermine their ability to perform their jobs effectively. We prefer to believe that criticism of those in authority is appropriate, when deserved. Otherwise, Powell and people like him will continue to make the darkest moments of people’s lives unnecessarily darker.

Doesn't matter how you slice it...this cop is clearly a di<k.

I understand at first he might have been concerned for his life, but after about 15 minutes of them explaining, nurses coming out, and an off duty cop pleading for Moats and his family, dont you think he could have just stopped writing the ticket?

Put yourself in Moats shoes, what if that was someone in your family? Moats was more compliant than I ever would have been.

I just don't get it, cops serve and protect citizens..and that's great, but what, they don't have any common sense or morals?

A) Moats broke the law.

I doubt that. What people seem to forget is that 2 nurses and a fellow police officer tried to get him to release Moats but to no avail. With thus much info, for running a red light e arly in the AM, its a little much. My wife is far more upset than I am and she is usually then dclm one. Guy should lose his job. Police must also act with common sense.

I can understand the the initial reaction from the officer, but after the explanation, he should have let them go or even helped them get to the hospital ASAP. How hard would it have been to do a little "police work" to find out the truth here? Police are usually skeptical and don't give the benefit of the doubt, which leads to problems like this. You are guilty UNTIL proven innocent in these situations. But it is impossible to prove your case and your desperation just gives the police more license to go after you. You are more or less placed in a situation where you have to break the law and things just escalate with every action until something minor leads to resisting arrest or worse.

I'm not anti- police- I can understand the caution that needs to be excercised. Look what happened this weekend in Oakland where a routine traffic stop got two cops killed.

I saw the video and read the transcript, and there is no doubt that the police officer shouldn't lose his job. The only crime he committed was being a jerk. He's a young cop full of piss & vinegar, he should of let Moats go and see his stepmother. So what Powell lacked, was common sense and sympathy. Neither of the two are a crime and definitely nothing to lose his job over.

I would have to say, the punishment for Powell is being served as we speak. Half the country believes he's an azz, and he will be ridiculed for years to come.

I remember a while back when my wife was having some health issues, I got a phone call at work that she was being rushed to the ER and I needed to be there immediately. I was about 40 miles from her, I was driving about 90 plus on the highway with my 4 ways on and past 2 cops that were hiding and neither one pulled out.......

Thats a real shame though for Ryan Moats. Prayers go out to him and his family.

How about we stop hiring people who are full of piss and vinegar to be cops? That would kinda solve a whole bunch of issues all at once.

oh ya, how silly of me. Usually dikheads act like big azz's in their interviews. :D

I saw the video and read the transcript, and there is no doubt that the police officer shouldn't lose his job. The only crime he committed was being a jerk. He's a young cop full of piss & vinegar, he should of let Moats go and see his stepmother. So what Powell lacked, was common sense and sympathy. Neither of the two are a crime and definitely nothing to lose his job over.

I would have to say, the punishment for Powell is being served as we speak. Half the country believes he's an azz, and he will be ridiculed for years to come.

I'm generally empathetic and supportive to cops. However, I can't for the life of me understand your logic. I hope he lives in your neighborhood and not mine.