Bills sign Florence

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or are we just treading water here? Cut a guard, sign a guard. Cut a CB, sign a CB. Let a backup QB walk, sign a backup QB.

I wonder if we'll see any kind of potential "impact" player sign.

Dude, we're 4 days into free agency....

Thanks Tim.

Look at this! After following the football sites all day, I take one short nap and boom, we sign someone I've heard of.

So long Jabari. This is kinda funny because I was reading about how the Chargers wanted him back and were gonna trade Cromartie if they got him back. Oh well.

I wonder if the Bills will just keep a deep CB stable or shop McGee.

Thanks Tim.

Look at this! After following the football sites all day, I take one short nap and boom, we sign someone I've heard of.

So long Jabari. This is kinda funny because I was reading about how the Chargers wanted him back and were gonna trade Cromartie if they got him back. Oh well.

I wonder if the Bills will just keep a deep CB stable or shop McGee.

Keep taking naps, that seems to be working!

*hands over some Nyquil*

Dude, we're 4 days into free agency....

I understand that. And I'm not complaining because, quite honestly, I've given up hope this team will improve regardless of who they sign. However, so far all we've seemed to do was cut or release average players and replace them with similarly average players. I guess we saved money, in the process. But, I don't see any of these moves - either the cuts or the FAs signed - as being doing much to help the play on the field.

I understand that. And I'm not complaining because, quite honestly, I've given up hope this team will improve regardless of who they sign. However, so far all we've seemed to do was cut or release average players and replace them with similarly average players. I guess we saved money, in the process. But, I don't see any of these moves - either the cuts or the FAs signed - as being doing much to help the play on the field.

It was an aggressive move on the Bills part an I liked it. What were the Bills supposed do wait for Greer to finish his tour of the League and hope and pray he decided to stay here?

He was good with the Bolts but I don't know what happened last year.

As with the Bills, it's really hard to evaluate some of the players on the Jags. (It's even harder for me with the Jags, because, while I see most of their games, I watch them more casually...and I'm often drunk from watching the Bills. :huh:) Guys caught in bad schemes, with poor coaching can look far worse than they would on a different team.

I have to believe Modrak had some input on this one. Hopefully, he saw something in Florence that wasn't evident in his stats, this year.

I see this as a pretty safe "depth" signing, with the possibility of a big upside.

As with the Bills, it's really hard to evaluate some of the players on the Jags. (It's even harder for me with the Jags, because, while I see most of their games, I watch them more casually...and I'm often drunk from watching the Bills. :huh:) Guys caught in bad schemes, with poor coaching can look far worse than they would on a different team.

I have to believe Modrak had some input on this one. Hopefully, he saw something in Florence that wasn't evident in his stats, this year.

I see this as a pretty safe "depth" signing, with the possibility of a big upside.

On a side note, is there a more overrated coach in the league than Gregg Williams? Failure in Buffalo, failure in Washington, failure in Jacksonville yet Peter King acts like the Saints hired Bill Belichick when he went there this offseason. The guy is a joke.

On a side note, is there a more overrated coach in the league than Gregg Williams? Failure in Buffalo, failure in Washington, failure in Jacksonville yet Peter King acts like the Saints hired Bill Belichick when he went there this offseason. The guy is a joke.

I always thought he was a pretty good DC. He had a good year, or two, in Washington...but he really did suck in Jacksonville, or so it would appear.

I think it's really hard for a DC to go to a veteran team that has a defensive minded, stubborn HC who has been there for a few years. They're basically asked to run a defense they don't usually like with players they don't know the way the HC wants it to be played. Granted, I am not a huge fan of Greggo, but he was put in an impossible situation there.

Is it just me or are we just treading water here? Cut a guard, sign a guard. Cut a CB, sign a CB. Let a backup QB walk, sign a backup QB.

I wonder if we'll see any kind of potential "impact" player sign.

It's the same course that got them to 7-9 three straight years. First and foremost, it is key to let good starters go so you have a glaring weakness that must be addressed, or reached for in rounds 1 & 2. But bad free agent signings are crucial to the plan too. What is the count after 3 years? Something like 16 of 18 free agents signed are gone already. Heinous!

Expect more of the same with Florence and Hangartner, not good signings for different reasons. Florence retired last year, this latest contract is like a social security check for this guy. Hangartner is JAG, and his replacement will be sought next offseason. Fans are going to hate this guy. I'm literally terrified to hear the terms of his contract. If and when Coles signs, he's one and done to the tune of about $10M in 2009. I'm not trying to save Ralph's money, Coles is just clearly on the downside.

In all fairness, the pickings were kinda' slim in free agency and expectations by fans were way out of line. Even some long time posters here were blindly talking about cutting players so the money could be used generically to improve other positions, as if filling holes in free agency was like a trip to Wal Mart.

But the Bills are to blame too for bemoaning their lack of talent and their determination to do something about it, when they really weren't determined or in good position to aggressively rectify the situation. I mean, how is this team........so desperate for a playmaking TE.......not involved in a Kellen Winslow trade? Prima dona or not, he'd catch 100 passes from short range Trent. The answer is two-fold, they are ball-less AND their flawed approach to team building for the past 3 years has left them a forsaken destination for proven veterans.

The organization needs a plan. If they can't get any help in free agency(and they've proven they can't), they need to be getting more than their share on draft day. Since they aren't going to beat the better organizations pick for pick, they really need to be stocking up on picks. Trade that first round pick, then trade it again if necessary, but come out of these drafts with 4-5 players with a chance at eventually starting instead of 2-3. If you want a Donte Whitner, don't reach for the guy. If you've got a good player who is going to leave in FA like Clements, at least franchise and trade the guy so you've got an extra draft pick. Value the quarterback position above all else, and focus on offensive line play and playmakers who accentuate the QB skills. Keep good QB's coming and don't be afraid to have too many good ones.

As with the Bills, it's really hard to evaluate some of the players on the Jags. (It's even harder for me with the Jags, because, while I see most of their games, I watch them more casually...and I'm often drunk from watching the Bills. :thumbsup:) Guys caught in bad schemes, with poor coaching can look far worse than they would on a different team.

Florence was at his best when he played the Nickel with San Diego.

I imagine that is what his role will be.

I know it wasn't a lot of money, but he shouldn't even be on our team.

per rotoworld:

Profootballtalk.com reports that the Bills have signed free agent CB Drayton Florence to a two-year contract.

This will throw a wrench into San Diego's Antonio Cromartie trade plan. Florence was a huge bust in Jacksonville last year, losing his starting job to Brian Williams. The Bills, if they're smart, will not be starting Florence.

Exactly. Yes, Florence could add depth, but there are a lot of question marks on this guy.

#1. He lost his starting job

#2. He was released by his team

#3. He apparently had a bad attitude in San Diego. Just what we need...another high character guy like Lynch & Simpson

#4. He is from the same area as Leodis McKelvin. This guy better not bring down McKelvin with a bad attitude/work ethic or off the field lifestyle.

Florence should be our #4 corner in nickel and dime situations along with Youboty.

Or a former starter for some playoff teams that is still in his prime and signed to be 3rd or 4th corner. But please enjoy being a Richard head all off season. I hate people sometimes. :wallbash:

Sorry dude, can't get excited about Drayton freakin' Florence. Apparently you're easy to please. But don't let me interfere with your strokefest for the guy, you douchebag. :thumbsup:

I like the signing. We shouldn't see too much of a difference in production between Florence and Greer, but for a lot less money. Flo can man the nickel spot, makes some starts if (when) necessary along with giving some young guys like corner a chance to grow and develop.