Bills sign Florence

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, but the Bills werent going to be making any moves until they knew one way or another that Coles was either signing or going. Considering the flury of FA news over the last few hours, I would guess that Coles is going elsewhere, hence the reason the money is freed up.

what do you mean the money is freed up, they are going to be under the salary cap again this year

what do you mean the money is freed up, they are going to be under the salary cap again this year

But they wont spend to the cap (not to the full cap, taking into consideration cash to cap). The Bills have a certain amount of cash they are going to allocate for FAs. If they finally told Coles to take a hike, the cash they were going to give him with their contract offer can now be used for other things...such as signing Florence, June, Jones, etc.

Besides my "source" is still pretty confident that Coles will not be a Buffalo Bill.

But they wont spend to the cap (not to the full cap, taking into consideration cash to cap). The Bills have a certain amount of cash they are going to allocate for FAs. If they finally told Coles to take a hike, the cash they were going to give him with their contract offer can now be used for other things...such as signing Florence, June, Jones, etc.

Besides my "source" is still pretty confident that Coles will not be a Buffalo Bill.

I bet the Bills have well over 20 million in cash still. I actually think it's closer to 30 mil. Money and cash are not going to be a problem. Coles wouldn't be more than 10 of it. He may not sign, that's for sure. But if they offered him 15-18 million for three years, which is probably close, there is no question they could and would still sign him if he says okay to the deal they still have on the table. He doesn't have a lot of options. The Bills are probably offering him more money than anyone else. I think it's about a 50-50 chance although I felt a little better about it yesterday.

"This will throw a wrench into San Diego's Antonio Cromartie trade plan. Florence was a huge bust in Jacksonville last year, losing his starting job to Brian Williams. The Bills, if they're smart, will not be starting Florence."

This is from Rotoworld. Good to see we went with a guy who shouldn't start over Greer just to save a few bucks.

Stats for CBs, with the possible exception of INTs, is a really crappy way to say if someone is a huge upgrade or not.

Put it this way. Flo just signed for two years for 6.6 mil. Jabari is likely to get 20-25 mil.

I think Florence got caught up in a bad situation with ego maniac Gregg Williams running the defense for the Jags last year. His numbers are still very productive over his 5 seasons with the Chargers, and he's only 28. I can't believe the Jags cut him after only one season, but he could work out really well for Buffalo...for once. If Jabari gets his 20 Million that's great for him, but this is one time I hope the circle jerks come out better for spending less.

Right, but the Bills werent going to be making any moves until they knew one way or another that Coles was either signing or going. Considering the flury of FA news over the last few hours, I would guess that Coles is going elsewhere, hence the reason the money is freed up.

Isn't that just your opinion?

I think Florence got caught up in a bad situation with ego maniac Gregg Williams running the defense for the Jags last year. His numbers are still very productive over his 5 seasons with the Chargers, and he's only 28. I can't believe the Jags cut him after only one season, but he could work out really well for Buffalo...for once. If Jabari gets his 20 Million that's great for him, but this is one time I hope the circle jerks come out better for spending less.

Oh, I think Jabari is a better player, but I also think that McKelvin has to start, and the amount of money it would cost for Greer could be better spent elsewhere with Mcgee and Youboty still around. A guy like Florence for 3 mil is probably better IMO than signing Greer for 25 mil and he might not even start.

The point of my original post though is really about stats for CBs. There are CBs that have a ton of tackles because they are studs against the run, like Antoine. And there are CBs with equal amounts of tackles because they totally suck and are dragging down receivers or pushing them out of bounds after they have made catches all day long. There are CBs with a nice amount of INTS and TDs but it's because they gamble all the time and get burnt for more TDs, and aren't close to being as good as other CBs who rarely give up catches and hardly ever give up TDs, but with only a few INTs. Stats for CBs are just not a good indicator.

Stats for CBs, with the possible exception of INTs, is a really crappy way to say if someone is a huge upgrade or not.

Put it this way. Flo just signed for two years for 6.6 mil. Jabari is likely to get 20-25 mil.

But just year ago, Florence signed for 36 mil. I love Greer but IMO, this is a great signing. Greer and Florence are very similiar except that Florence will be making a ton less money. We got a guy who started on some very good Charger teams and I believe picked off Brady twice in a playoff game.

I'm not sure what completely happened in Jacksonville, but there defensive line wasn't what they thought it would be (losing Stroud and their rookies not providing much of a spark). I know I'm not supposed to be positive, but this is a signing good teams make. A former starter still in his prime as a 3rd or 4th corner. Nice. :huh:

Is it just me or are we just treading water here? Cut a guard, sign a guard. Cut a CB, sign a CB. Let a backup QB walk, sign a backup QB.

I wonder if we'll see any kind of potential "impact" player sign.

Did the Dawgg compliment the Bills??? hide the women and children. This is the end. I'm very scared. :huh:

Hey, they are finally figuring it out.... though I must admit the Fitzpatrick signing was disappointing :rolleyes: