I like what I see thus far

Dawgg

Not Jumping the Gun in Free Agency

First and foremost, I like the fact that the "inner ciricle" has decided to take its time. We've become all too accustomed to the 12:01AM signing at the start of the free agency period and it hasn't done the team any favors over the past few years. Why bid against yourself? This is why the Bills to overpay for talent like Dockery. There is something to be said about taking your time, allowing the market to develop and seeing where things go. It seems like Brandon has decided to employ that strategy this time around. Waiting will allow the Bills to find some bargains and maybe even take a few calculated risks.

Letting Greer Walk

They placed a value on Greer at 4 yrs $20M so that he has an option to stick around in Buffalo... but it seems like the front office has made a conscious decision to let Greer walk, unless, for some unforeseen reason, he garners no interest on the open market. While Greer vastly outplayed his status as an undrafted free agent, he simply doesn't have the coverage skills of Terrance McGee. Most posters seem to have an inflated perception of his skills... thankfully, the front office recognizes that McGee is more valuable to this team. He hustles on every play, he's a sure tackler, and his abilities on Special Teams speaks for themselves. Has he been beat? Every corner has! But this team needs more Terrance McGees, not fewer of them.

Cutting Dockery

The guy simply underperformed. The Bills wasted $20+ million on him, but it's better to admit a mistake and move on than to continue with a failed experiment.

Making an offer to Jason Peters

If they wanted to move on from Jason Peters, last year was the year... they could have drafted Ryan Clady for added leverage and sent Peters out of town. But this team can't afford to F**k around with the LT position now, particularly with a young QB. Pay the guy and move on.

First and foremost, I like the fact that the "inner ciricle" has decided to take its time. We've become all too accustomed to the 12:01AM signing at the start of the free agency period and it hasn't done the team any favors over the past few years. Why bid against yourself? This is why the Bills to overpay for talent like Dockery. There is something to be said about taking your time, allowing the market to develop and seeing where things go. It seems like Brandon has decided to employ that strategy this time around. Waiting will allow the Bills to find some bargains and maybe even take a few calculated risks.

Letting Greer Walk

They placed a value on Greer at 4 yrs $20M so that he has an option to stick around in Buffalo... but it seems like the front office has made a conscious decision to let Greer walk, unless, for some unforeseen reason, he garners no interest on the open market. While Greer vastly outplayed his status as an undrafted free agent, he simply doesn't have the coverage skills of Terrance McGee. Most posters seem to have an inflated perception of his skills... thankfully, the front office recognizes that McGee is more valuable to this team. He hustles on every play, he's a sure tackler, and his abilities on Special Teams speaks for themselves. Has he been beat? Every corner has! But this team needs more Terrance McGees, not fewer of them.

Cutting Dockery

The guy simply underperformed. The Bills wasted $20+ million on him, but it's better to admit a mistake and move on than to continue with a failed experiment.

If they wanted to move on from Jason Peters, last year was the year... they could have drafted Ryan Clady for added leverage and sent Peters out of town. But this team can't afford to F**k around with the LT position now, particularly with a young QB. Pay the guy and move on.

I like all of your points. We were never going to compete with the Jets and the Skins for the big names. I would love to see the Bills cut or restructure both Kelsey and Schobel. My bet is that the Bills won't do this until after all of the big names are gone so they have an excuse for not spending on the big time FA's.

I agree with everything except for free agency......

We knew we were going to need to overpay in free agency to fill some crucial postitions and should have a couple of guys targeted......paid them...overpaid them if necessary and then moved on to the draft....

You know who looks like they did that? THE JETS

Please tell me when any team has underpaid in free agency. Do you feel the Redskins overpaid for Haynesworth?

I like all of your points. We were never going to compete with the Jets and the Skins for the big names. I would love to see the Bills cut or restructure both Kelsey and Schobel. My bet is that the Bills won't do this until after all of the big names are gone so they have an excuse for not spending on the big time FA's.

Unless they have a clear plan for replenishing the DE position, they should probably stay put. Cutting one of them also telegraphs to the league that they will be picking a DE first in the draft. If they acquire enough DE talent, it wouldn't surprise me to see them cut Kelsay during training camp.... though I suspect Kelsay has compromising photos of Russ Brandon and thus will remain on the roster this year.

Letting Greer Walk

Cutting Dockery

Yeah, they are chugging along at their usual 7-9 pace.

Some enjoy these 7-9 seasons and think we are about to make a leap forward.

Others look at these 7-9 seasons as the ceiling, and with such an inept management team in place making the decisions, we are about to drop through the floor.

Please tell me when any team has underpaid in free agency. Do you feel the Redskins overpaid for Haynesworth?

Overpaid meaning paying more then what another team is offering even if it is just by a little bit......

Now the skins? Well what they do is stupid every year and you cant biuld a team just on free agency......

Just another swift kick in the nuts to us Bills fans by the front office. Expect this time jackoffs are patting them on the back for it......

And you were probably one of the jackoffs that was celebrating when the Bills made a "splash" by brining in Langston Walker, huh? Or Derrick Dockery? How about when the Bills opened the vault for Chris Kelsay? Or when they made a splash in the draft and traded up for John McCargo.

I bet you felt reaaaal good about your team then didn't ya? :lol:

There's nothing wrong with standing pat on the first day.

Letting Greer walk is a mistake...and he is better then Mcgee...

He hasn't signed anywhere yet. It doesn't mean he's definitely not coming back. Another team may not offer enough for him to want to leave.

Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha You got it . Lots of rose colored glasses out there. :lol:

You and I have absolutely no control over the FO moves. So I'll keep wearing my rose colored glasses because I'm a Bills fan.

Overpaid meaning paying more then what another team is offering even if it is just by a little bit......

Now the skins? Well what they do is stupid every year and you cant biuld a team just on free agency......

We can agree on that.

And you were probably one of the jackoffs that was celebrating when the Bills made a "splash" by brining in Langston Walker, huh? Or Derrick Dockery? How about when the Bills opened the vault for Chris Kelsay? Or when they made a splash in the draft and traded up for John McCargo.

I bet you felt reaaaal good about your team then didn't ya? :lol:

Dockery - I was totally wrong on this one....he was supposed to be a running game mauling guard.

Langston Walker - I still think he is playing pretty well for us......he did pretty well in limited time at LT too

Kelsay - Never did understand that contract when him and Denny are virtual clones of each other

McCargo - You just can test a players heart at the combine.....too bad there is not a test for that

Letting Greer walk is a mistake...and he is better then Mcgee...

please back up your opinion with some facts as to why you think these silly things?

why is it a mistake to let him walk when we have mcgee, mckelvin, youboty and corner?

and...

exactly how and why is greer better than mcgee?

please elaborate...because you make zero sense.

Letting Greer Walk

Cutting Dockery

As others have already said here, I think the FO should have had a couple FAs targeted and went after them hard and fast. It looks now that we may just end up with second tier/depth type FAs,and this team needs better than that in a few spots. Greer should only be allowed to walk after a real effort was made to keep him,he's a valuable player. Neither one of us know what went on in negotiations so if the attempt was made and he's just TOO expensive,so be it. Cutting Dockery was a mistake,IMO. He was overpaid but it just creates another gaping hole to fill. Peters is a good player who,IMO,has questionable desire. If he does get his extension I hope he lives up to it and we don't see ourselves in the same situation with him all over again in a year or 2.

Letting Greer Walk

Cutting Dockery

Great post, I agree 100% with each and every one of your points... especially with letting Greer walk and not overpaying him 2 years after letting Nate leave.

Letting Greer Walk

Cutting Dockery

Well said Dawgg. :D

Letting Greer Walk

Cutting Dockery

Mark this date: 2/27/09 - Ramius agrees with Dawgg.

Dockery - I was totally wrong on this one....he was supposed to be a running game mauling guard.

Langston Walker - I still think he is playing pretty well for us......he did pretty well in limited time at LT too

Kelsay - Never did understand that contract when him and Denny are virtual clones of each other

McCargo - You just can test a players heart at the combine.....too bad there is not a test for that

I think you meant to say "you just can't test a player's heart at the combine".....correct ?

I bet you felt reaaaal good about your team then didn't ya? :D

No he's the a**h*** who starts threads about Coles signing and then sheepishly admits he's not funny.

Idiots abound.

Great thread Dawgg.

No he's the a**h*** who starts threads about Coles signing and then sheepishly admits he's not funny.

Idiots abound.

Great thread Dawgg.

It feels weird to compliment the front office this time of year doesn't it? :D

I'm still a bit nervous about how they'll use the draft picks. But for a change, showing some restraint was the right course of action.

It feels weird to compliment the front office this time of year doesn't it? :D

I'm still a bit nervous about how they'll use the draft picks. But for a change, showing some restraint was the right course of action.

I think beyond the big names, the economy is going to have an effect on those vaunted tier 2 FA's. Teams want to win, but there are some strange things happening which may cause them to re-think spending wildly. Frankly, that's not a bad idea.

As much as I want them to sign someone, makes choices which aren't knee jerk, but for the long term. Maybe Russ learned a lesson from Marv/Dick on how not to handle UFA.

I think beyond the big names, the economy is going to have an effect on those vaunted tier 2 FA's. Teams want to win, but there are some strange things happening which may cause them to re-think spending wildly. Frankly, that's not a bad idea.

As much as I want them to sign someone, makes choices which aren't knee jerk, but for the long term. Maybe Russ learned a lesson from Marv/Dick on how not to handle UFA.

you have a valid point

I agree with everything except for free agency......

We knew we were going to need to overpay in free agency to fill some crucial postitions and should have a couple of guys targeted......paid them...overpaid them if necessary and then moved on to the draft....

You know who looks like they did that? THE JETS

They did the same thing last year and it didn't get them that much further ahead

And then there is this...

An off season by the line in 2008 and a big salary made Dockery a salary cap casualty Thursday. But strange things happened. The Bills didn't place Dockery on the waiver wire, and there had been interest by the Detroit Lions in acquiring him in a trade.

Dockery flew to Detroit Friday for a visit and a physical. The Bills didn't get the paperwork in on a trade, so he was officially released Friday.

:D

The Bills are right where they want to be in the FA mix. And, it aint good!

They didn't want to spend big $$ and that was going to happen right away...so now they'll be content with settling for 2nd and 3rd rate guys on the cheap.

Good post. I don't agree with all of it, but it is good to see you can contribute without always finding a negative in everything.

Dean, in all seriousness, what's there to be positive about after nine straight non-playoff seasons, the release of the biggest FA signing, a game sold to Toronto for five years, the star RB charged with 3 misdemeanors, holes at C, TE, OLB, DE, WR, LG, no GM, and the retention of one of the worst head coaches in the league? Negative, how can some of us not be?

There's optimism, and then there's its distant cousin blind optimism. I can't speak for Dawgg, but there hasn't been a lot to hang your hat on in the last decade. I don't want the Bills wasting money, but until I see results on the field, it's hard to be optimistic about a franchise with a 60-84 record in the preceding 9 seasons.

While I agree that there needs to be some restraint, they should have had their guys identified and be ready to go. All we have is a list of a few people coming in...Our OL sucked, again, last season but yet we only have 3 players under contract. We have plenty of holes to fill, but yet...nothing

Dean, in all seriousness, what's there to be positive about after nine straight non-playoff seasons, the release of the biggest FA signing, a game sold to Toronto for five years, the star RB charged with 3 misdemeanors, holes at C, TE, OLB, DE, WR, LG, no GM, and the retention of one of the worst head coaches in the league? Negative, how can some of us not be?

There's optimism, and then there's its distant cousin blind optimism. I can't speak for Dawgg, but there hasn't been a lot to hang your hat on in the last decade. I don't want the Bills wasting money, but until I see results on the field, it's hard to be optimistic about a franchise with a 60-84 record in the preceding 9 seasons.

I would counter that there is informed criticism, and then there is mindless bashing. If you can't separate the negatives, from the positives...or even neutral aspects, then your analysis and opinion, are meaningless, IMO. When I read your posts, I can't believe the Bills won ANY games. :w00t: