Trent Edwards interview with Mike Francesa

1billsfan

This a interview with Trent Edwards that I watched on the YES/WFAN channel on January 30th. It was recorded in Tampa the Monday before the Superbowl. It's about 19 links down the page.

http://www.wfan.com/pages/744503.php

This is what I came away with...

Trent is a little too thin skinned. It's clear to me that he is bothered by any and all who question his abilities. He's also clearly a liar since he states that he doesn't listen or read any of them. How can you be bothered by them if you don't read or hear them? That's what I would call a contradiction. If he's that shook up by what little criticisms have come his way then he's got issues playing for this team.

Trent is homesick. He makes a point to say exactly how far away from home he is and that he's the furthest player from his home. That living so far away from friends and family is still a big adjustment. Get the feeling that Buffalo will never be his kind of town.

Trent is addicted to golf. Says he plays six months per year. That much commitment to golf is not what I like to hear from a player that is going into his third year as a starting NFL quarterback. Does Trent even like playing football?

This interview did not give me the warm and fuzzies about Trent's future with this team. It wasn't a necessarily a bad interview, but for me it was hard not to read between the lines. Here's to hoping Trent will grow a tough skin and become addicted to becoming a better, more healthy, winning QB for the Bills.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting that interview. When I first read your comments, I thought you were a bit harsh. However, after hearing the interview, I think your comments are on target. He clearly is a west coast boy who misses home. He makes some nice comments about Buffalo and the fans, but it almost sounds like e is trying to convince himself that he likes it in Buffalo. The kid's got talent, but he needs a big year this coming season, and he needs to learn how to love playing football in nasty weather. Hopefully it works out but that interview does make me a bit nervous. Surprised that Francessa didn't ask him about Juron.

I think he just sounds like a young kid. I am not sure that I heard anything that lead me to believe he can't make it in Buffalo, or has a desire to be elsewhere. What struck me more, was Francesca seemed to be trying to get him to say that he is unhappy, or digruntled. He seemed fine to me. If he produces on the field, all will be fine...

That was a great interview - a young QB talking about what it's like to be a young QB in the NFL. If anything Trent's maturity struck me; he gets that there will be ups and downs, but he needs to keep his head straight and work hard to have his success.

I liked his answer on the Warner / Ben question. A bit of both, respect for Warner's accuracy and a love for Ben's ability to just make the freaking play. Please Trent, learn both.

And I think it's clear that he likes Buffalo - he talks about the most important thing in Buffalo, the people. Loved the Starbucks story and comparison...

Here's to good things in '09! :rolleyes:

This a interview with Trent Edwards that I watched on the YES/WFAN channel on January 30th. It was recorded in Tampa the Monday before the Superbowl. It's about 19 links down the page.

Trent is a little too thin skinned. It's clear to me that he is bothered by any and all who question his abilities. He's also clearly a liar since he states that he doesn't listen or read any of them. How can you be bothered by them if you don't read or hear them? That's what I would call a contradiction. If he's that shook up by what little criticisms have come his way then he's got issues playing for this team.

Trent is homesick. He makes a point to say exactly how far away from home he is and that he's the furthest player from his home. That living so far away from friends and family is still a big adjustment. Get the feeling that Buffalo will never be his kind of town.

Trent is addicted to golf. Says he plays six months per year. That much commitment to golf is not what I like to hear from a player that is going into his third year as a starting NFL quarterback. Does Trent even like playing football?

This interview did not give me the warm and fuzzies about Trent's future with this team. It wasn't a necessarily a bad interview, but for me it was hard not to read between the lines. Here's to hoping Trent will grow a tough skin and become addicted to becoming a better, more healthy, winning QB for the Bills.

I believe it's quite clear that Trent hates the cold weather. His performance in cold weather proves it.

After he won the Super Bowl, Trent Dilfer admitted his love of golf & the time he put into it impeded his developement as a QB. He said he should have been working on his Football Game rather than his Golf Game when he was in Tampa & he regretted that he hadn't. This was in an interview on WDAE.

That was a great interview - a young QB talking about what it's like to be a young QB in the NFL. If anything Trent's maturity struck me; he gets that there will be ups and downs, but he needs to keep his head straight and work hard to have his success.

I liked his answer on the Warner / Ben question. A bit of both, respect for Warner's accuracy and a love for Ben's ability to just make the freaking play. Please Trent, learn both.

And I think it's clear that he likes Buffalo - he talks about the most important thing in Buffalo, the people. Loved the Starbucks story and comparison...

Here's to good things in '09! :rolleyes:

I gotta agree. He sounds mature for his age . Amazing how 1Billshater got all that from Trent's interview. Actually it's not that amazing, more like "typical"

I'm grateful that you posted the interview. As for your take, I'm grateful that you're not in charge of interpreting anything for anyone but yourself. Couldn't disagree more with your take. But thanks again for posting the interview.

I used to listen to Mike and the Mad Dog years ago. I grew to dislike Francesa because he seemed to grow more arrogant with each passing day. Now that's he's solo, he seems to have toned it down some. Of course, this is after listening to one two minute clip.

Kelly,OJ, Bruce...none of them wanted to be here....Joe D did--but he is an unusual case

Really really need to go back and listen to that interview again. You are reading between the lines way to much and are way off base.

I don't care how much you try not to listen or read what people are saying to you. You are going to hear something. I personally am glad he is bothered by it. if he wasn't then to me that means he doesn't care about his performance.

Trent was asked what the hardest thing was for him coming into the NFL. he said it was hard for him to move away from friends and family. He made a point to state he was the farthest away to help give people an idea about how alone he probably felt when he first came to Buffalo. I don't care how much money someone makes but this isn't easy. Money isn't everything which i think alot of people here think. I find it amusing that people get pissed or are amazed when they see basic human emotion coming from a Athelete.

He said in the interview that he loves football and that as a kid he dreamed of being a NFL QB. If that doesn't tell you he likes football then i don't know what is. You also make it sound like he plays everyday of the week for 6 months straight. It's obvious his hobby outside of Football is Golf. It doesn't hurt mentally to get away for a 4 hour round of golf.

You make it sound like you are a expert at reading between the lines. Don't quit your day job. You made alot of poor assumptions and only heard what you wanted to hear from the interview. you missed parts.

where you high when you listened to this interview?

I think billsfan was in his happy place. He took something away from the interview completely different than I did.

I didn't hear anything that would lead someone to believe Trent is no good, thin skinned, a golf addict, or anything else. He plays golf...a lot of athletes do. John Smoltz will join the senior tour when he is done playing.

I think it's normal to have a hard adjustment being that far away from where you have spent your entire life.

Talk about reading too much between the lines.

That interview was fine. Hobbies are fine and being far away from your family is the way that half of America lives. I heard nothing that got me worried, and I'm far from a fanboy about Trent.

And about the fact that he's a liar, man are you off-base. When you're an NFL QB, you don't have to go looking for opinions to hear them. You don't have to listen to sports radio to hear criticism, the DJs on the rock stations will start programs with "Trent sucked yesterday, didn't he?" You watch TV and the teasers for News at 11 will say "Highlights from Trent Edwards's horrible game, tonight at 11:00." There was no proof whatsoever of anything like that. It must be something that you already feel.

I used to listen regularly to Francesa when he was with Russo, and they would always ask athletes about golf, and probably 40% of them would go crazy answering about their golf game. It was often the most animated part of the interview, because these guys are used to answering diplomatically about their own sport, but they talk the way they really feel about golf. There's nothing wrong with it.

Basically, you brought negative feelings to it. It was a fairly bland interview, as most of them are.

I think you are reading a bit too much between the lines. A guy likes golf and he somehow is too committed? You are insane. You ask if he even likes playing football because he plays golf? Dude, medicate.