Trent Edwards interview with Mike Francesa

1billsfan

Buffalo is a great city with a great heart but if you'd rather live there than in So-Cal or some other warm weather climate you're out of your freaking mind.

If 50% of the population of Buffalo had the option to move to southern California Buffalo would be a ghost town.

Unless you are in prison, nothing is forcing anyone to stay in upstate New York.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This a interview with Trent Edwards that I watched on the YES/WFAN channel on January 30th. It was recorded in Tampa the Monday before the Superbowl. It's about 19 links down the page.

http://www.wfan.com/pages/744503.php

This is what I came away with...

ETC

I can't believe that a few people agreed with this "analysis". Worried about golfing and homesickness...and in February? My god, there's always something in Billsfanland.

Kelly,OJ, Bruce...none of them wanted to be here....Joe D did--but he is an unusual case

Helluva good point. Some forget that Kelly thumbed his nose at the Bills when they drafted him in 1983 and went to the Houston Gamblers of the USFL, instead. It wasn't until the USFL folded that he came to the Bills in 1986. If I remember correctly, he said something along the lines of, "I would rather work at McDonalds than play in Buffalo" or words to that effect. Now look at Kelly and what he does for and means to the Buffalo area. If Trent has a big year and can QB the Bills into the playoffs, the western NY area and fans will get behind him and support him like they did with Kelly and Flutie. Lord knows the fans are starving for something to support.

That being said, Trent is a California guy (born, raised, school, college) and will probably always feel that's where his roots (and family) are.

First of all, thanks for the link

I think Trent gave an excellent interview. It really couldn't have been much better, IMO.

Now, it is true that Francesa's interview was a bit soft, but that isn't Trent's fault. (I like Mike...he is an outstanding basketball guy, IMO.) There is one area I would have liked him to explore a little more. While I understand a need to get away from football, for a while, and visit family and friends in California, I would have asked him if maybe spending some more time in Buffalo, acclimating to the weather...maybe working out in the cold, throwing in the cold w/o a glove, etc, wouldn't be a good use of his time, this off-season. That's really my only off-the-field complaint about Trent. I'm not suggesting that Trent isn't a hard worker, because I think he is. But, I don't get the obsession to be great, and master the circumstances (in this case, the weather) that some great athlete's seem to have.

First of all, thanks for the link

I think Trent gave an excellent interview. It really couldn't have been much better, IMO.

Now, it is true that Francesa's interview was a bit soft, but that isn't Trent's fault. (I like Mike...he is an outstanding basketball guy, IMO.) There is one area I would have liked him to explore a little more. While I understand a need to get away from football, for a while, and visit family and friends in California, I would have asked him if maybe spending some more time in Buffalo, acclimating to the weather...maybe working out in the cold, throwing in the cold w/o a glove, etc, wouldn't be a good use of his time, this off-season. That's really my only off-the-field complaint about Trent. I'm not suggesting that Trent isn't a hard worker, because I think he is. But, I don't get the obsession to be great, and master the circumstances (in this case, the weather) that some great athlete's seem to have.

Good point. While I can fully understand a kid wanting to be near his family (with whom he appears to be very close), it would have been fair to ask him about spending a bit more time in WNY. We might have been surprised by his answers.

To be honest, I have no idea what kind of arrangements Jauron has in place for doing so. Are you aware of any?

he played in the usfl because ralph was a cheap POS who didn't want to pay kelly and caused chuck knox to quit. have you actually followed this team

Yes--I went to my first game in 1972 actually. I doubt that Ralph was paying less (or much less, at least, since the USFL sometimes did try to compete on $) than the Gamblers personally, but have no link to prove that (too lazy). Kelly just didn't want to come to what he perceived as an NFL loser in a city he also didn't think too highly of before he got there.

Yes--I went to my first game in 1972 actually. I doubt that Ralph was paying less (or much less, at least, since the USFL sometimes did try to compete on $) than the Gamblers personally, but have no link to prove that (too lazy). Kelly just didn't want to come to what he perceived as an NFL loser in a city he also didn't think too highly of before he got there.

As I remember, .....(someone should have the facts) Kelly was about to sign with Buffalo when the Gamblers made a call and the Bills, stupidly gave Kelly the phone. Can someone with a better memory confirm or deny this.

This a interview with Trent Edwards that I watched on the YES/WFAN channel on January 30th. It was recorded in Tampa the Monday before the Superbowl. It's about 19 links down the page.

Trent is a little too thin skinned. It's clear to me that he is bothered by any and all who question his abilities. He's also clearly a liar since he states that he doesn't listen or read any of them. How can you be bothered by them if you don't read or hear them? That's what I would call a contradiction. If he's that shook up by what little criticisms have come his way then he's got issues playing for this team.

Trent is homesick. He makes a point to say exactly how far away from home he is and that he's the furthest player from his home. That living so far away from friends and family is still a big adjustment. Get the feeling that Buffalo will never be his kind of town.

Trent is addicted to golf. Says he plays six months per year. That much commitment to golf is not what I like to hear from a player that is going into his third year as a starting NFL quarterback. Does Trent even like playing football?

This interview did not give me the warm and fuzzies about Trent's future with this team. It wasn't a necessarily a bad interview, but for me it was hard not to read between the lines. Here's to hoping Trent will grow a tough skin and become addicted to becoming a better, more healthy, winning QB for the Bills.

Almost al QB's play golf. I think that is a positive. To play well you have to have complete control of your emotions.

Trent is a little too thin skinned. It's clear to me that he is bothered by any and all who question his abilities. He's also clearly a liar since he states that he doesn't listen or read any of them. How can you be bothered by them if you don't read or hear them? That's what I would call a contradiction. If he's that shook up by what little criticisms have come his way then he's got issues playing for this team.

Trent is homesick. He makes a point to say exactly how far away from home he is and that he's the furthest player from his home. That living so far away from friends and family is still a big adjustment. Get the feeling that Buffalo will never be his kind of town.

Trent is addicted to golf. Says he plays six months per year. That much commitment to golf is not what I like to hear from a player that is going into his third year as a starting NFL quarterback. Does Trent even like playing football?

This interview did not give me the warm and fuzzies about Trent's future with this team. It wasn't a necessarily a bad interview, but for me it was hard not to read between the lines. Here's to hoping Trent will grow a tough skin and become addicted to becoming a better, more healthy, winning QB for the Bills.

you read way to much into what he says. the guy is and has been a consummate pro all his time here and you want to diss him. the guy speaks the truth and that makes you criticize him.

seems to me you are the one who needs to get tougher skin.

Good point. While I can fully understand a kid wanting to be near his family (with whom he appears to be very close), it would have been fair to ask him about spending a bit more time in WNY. We might have been surprised by his answers.

To be honest, I have no idea what kind of arrangements Jauron has in place for doing so. Are you aware of any?

No, Bill, I have no idea. Of course, it doesn't have to be anything organized. Getting together with any Bills WRs who happen to be around, or even a couple of UB's WRs would be better than nothing, IMO.

In general, though, I like Trent's attitude and maturity.

As I remember, .....(someone should have the facts) Kelly was about to sign with Buffalo when the Gamblers made a call and the Bills, stupidly gave Kelly the phone. Can someone with a better memory confirm or deny this.

I don't have any of the facts, but from what I remember Kelly was pretty adamant that he wasn't going to play in Buffalo.

Kelly,OJ, Bruce...none of them wanted to be here....Joe D did--but he is an unusual case

thank you ,kelly had to be dragged here kicking and screaming all the way. 20 years later he's still here. dont read to much into trents words.

he is totally dedicated to buffalo and his teammates and spends the whole off season here where he belongs when its time to be here in the off season. nobody works harder than him and he is a good leader and sets a great example. look what he did in the workout room last year cant wait to see him this year after another year in the weight room.

thank you ,kelly had to be dragged here kicking and screaming all the way. 20 years later he's still here. dont read to much into trents words.

he is totally dedicated to buffalo and his teammates and spends the whole off season here where he belongs when its time to be here in the off season. nobody works harder than him and he is a good leader and sets a great example. look what he did in the workout room last year cant wait to see him this year after another year in the weight room.

Thanks for posting that interview. When I first read your comments, I thought you were a bit harsh. However, after hearing the interview, I think your comments are on target. He clearly is a west coast boy who misses home. He makes some nice comments about Buffalo and the fans, but it almost sounds like e is trying to convince himself that he likes it in Buffalo. The kid's got talent, but he needs a big year this coming season, and he needs to learn how to love playing football in nasty weather. Hopefully it works out but that interview does make me a bit nervous. Surprised that Francessa didn't ask him about Juron.

Even Kelly hated to come and play for the bills after getting drafted and preferred the warm and muggy houston gamblers. However, once the talent was in place and the right coaching system set, Kelly proved that he could get his heart in Buffalo.

While I agree Kelly's home was close to buffalo, he had still spent 3 years in Miami and 2 years in Houston.

All these become a non-issue once the team learns to win and win consistently.

:wallbash: Good one!

JP should do the same. no? 10 wins in 5 years and we still have a teary eyed bunch, pining away for him. Imagine if he could have won 11 games instead of 10 in 5 years! The fanboys would erect a shrine! :wallbash:

Bill and his JP obsession strike again!

Wow, 1JPfan asks "does Trent even like playing football?" because the guy plays golf in the offseason.

It strikes me that you might find it hard to read the lines. Some thoughts...you should keep inside.

"Occum's shaver"??? hahahahaha

Maybe you should instead apply that to #7's "my first beard".