A Few Thoughts About The Game

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenkins dominated the interior today. We have a big need at center, but does this explain all of the problems with the o-line?

Agreed on McKelvin. He has obvious speed, but seems to lack instincts. No production from our first three picks in the draft. I understand that they are rookies, but we needed some production from them this year and it has not happened. I am starting to worry that at least two of these guys will be busts.

What were the injuries to Lynch (who came back) and Whitner (who left at the end of the game)?

Anyone else want to disagree with the decision to give Jauron a three-year extension this early in the season? Since the extension, he has been outcoached terribly by a rookie HC and a bonafide nitwit.

And blame must be placed at Trent's feet today. So many points left on the board and some gift-wrapped for the opposition. This team is not explosive enough to be making careless mistakes with the football. In the last two weeks, Trent has looked abysmal protecting the ball which used to be his best trait.

Sucks to be a fan today...

I am wondering if Edwards is still suffering some from his concussion----I know it sounds dumb, but he just looks a split second slow---like his brain is taking just a little bit longer to process the information than he was before....maybe I am grasping at straws here, but it certainly is possible----he might seem OK and function OK, but those split second things might still be a little off...he is holding the ball much more than previously...

Noone is saying no blame should be placed at Trents feet---he is the leader of the team---he gets more praise than he deserves when they win, and more fault than he deserves when they lose. Today, just seemed like a repeat of last week---move the ball, move the ball, do something dumb and come away with no points---only even worse, give the other team 7 points. It is almost unheard of and personally I have never seen a team have the ball for over 15 minutes straight, and get outscored during that time 7-0. IMHO, the pass protection was OK today for the most part. Other than the sack by Jenkins when they rushed 3 people and he obliterated Preston, the only others were coverage sacks where there was nowhere to throw the ball. Those 2 trips deep into the redzone resulting in the INT for a TD and the failure to gain about 6 inches on 2 plays were the backbreaker today. You have to come away with some points in that situation. Indeed, if the Bills would have kicked the FG instead of going for it, they wouldn't have had to press so hard at the end of the game because they were down by 2 scores----they would have only been down by 6. I like my chances with Trent at the Jets 40 needing a score versus 2 scores with that amount of time left.

The fact they can't count on the biggest and heaviest OL in the league to get 6 inches when they need it, is downright deplorable. They should be manhandling people in there. It is embarrassing to be held to 30 yards on the ground at home. I know the Jets run D is good, but they are averaging 82 yards against---I guess that just shows how bad our OL blocking is....we have to get rid of this line coach---this OL should NOT be blocking this poorly... Again, Lynch being out at the most inopportune time of the game causes us to likely give up points. Against Miami he gets dinged in the head and they run Jackson 3 times from the 6 with no TD...this time they run Jackson and he can't even get 6 inches...does anyone doubt Lynch would have gotten into the endzone against Miami and gotten that first down today?? He needs to pick better times to get hurt :>

D---what can I say---they started by pressuring Favre, and were doing pretty good at stopping things, but then during the middle of the game, they decide its a good time to lay off him, and let them start throwing 8 yard passes all over the field again. Then they start dialing up the pressure, and he throws and INT off his back foot....when is Fewell going to equate pressure on the QB with bad decisions---its not like we have gotten burnt by it yet---there is no reason he should be that tentative in blitzing more often...

Completely agree. I couldn't believe how short Edwards threw that ball.

That was a bad pass for sure. The first one had contact on QB plus a fallen Parrish. If Parrish doesn't slip it's an incomplete pass.

On the fumble, he never had a chance.

Trent is now the sole source of offense because the line is incapable of run blocking. It flat can't do it. That kills a QB.

The middle collapsed time and again on passing downs. Peters had the blindside sewed up, but I can't especially praise his game because they were unable to run.

There was no blind side pressure today but the failure of the line to move a man downfield on a run play is embarassing. Nothing worse than the 4th and inches failure over Dockery. Trent will be in for a long 8 games if this team keeps proving incapable of rushing. The line is not good enough to consistently protect him and the WRs are not good enough to be pass happy. This is a shame too because Trent is a good ball faker. Defenses just don't care.

some of my thoughts on the game:

1) Whittle was beat all over the field.

2) Our O-line looks big, soft and slow. Walker should lose 30 pounds. Peters and Dockery could be in better shape as well.

3) I think we need to do some serious self-scouting on the offensive side of the ball. Every gap is filled in the running game. This leads me to think that the defense has a pretty good idea of what's coming. Also why do we not run anything to the outside? Too much shotgun. Evans hasn't been open in two weeks.

4) McKelvin needs to get a lot stronger before he'll be a good player in this league. Will probably take an offseason in a pro program to make that happen. he looks like a waif out there.

5) Still don't understand why Jauron didn't challenge the ball spot on the 4th down run (and then challenged a clear reception moments later)

6) that out of bounds kickoff rule is stupid.

7) picks happen in this league. i know roscoe slipped on the first one, but not sure it would've made a difference. The 2nd one doesn't bother me much. When your down by two scores with a minute to play you need to take some gambles and hope for the best. I'm positive he wouldn't throw that if the situation was different.

8) Mitchell looked slow out there.

9) Kelsay and Denney are really good at almost making big plays.

10) Was very frustrating seeming the defense get run over in the 4th. Reminded me of last year a bit.

11) We miss Schobel a lot more than too many of the people on this board realize.

12) Derek Fine might be a good player. Did more today than Schouman really has in two seasons.

Bill, I am amazed how two people can watch the same game and see something totally different. Props for 3 guys who got run over all day? Sorry. Single coverage on our 6'6" WR? Perfect time to throw to him. Too bad the rookie doesn't know how to fight for a ball. You are wayyyy too generous with the O-line. Every last one of them, including your binky Peters, sucked out loud today.

PTR

A little hard to fight for the ball when Trent under throws it.

Nothing's gone right since Lynch's endzone dance last week in Miami.

I think it was during the 3rd qtr today, Nance/Simms were talking about turning points in a season...the Lynch "dance" may have been ours... :thumbsup:

The weird thing is that it's been preventable things that have hurt...Trent's fumble on the QB sneak, Parrish slipping on today's INT (disagree with Simms...that would have been incomplete at worst), dropped passes on screens that could have gone for huge yardage, and a terrible challenge.

I think Trent's concussion is contagious. :wallbash:

Bill,

I think the Bills self-destructed today then being out coached. When you dig yourself a 10 point hole with a fumble and INT returned for TD in the 1st qtr of the game, when you should have been up 17-3, you don't give yourself a chance to win.

The biggest disappointment for me was how flat we came out in the 2nd half of the game. THe momentum going into half time was with us with the Jets missing the FG. If we score a TD on the 1st drive of the 2nd half, we would have dominated the game.

At this point of time Trent Edwards is not ready to carry this team on his shoulder by himself. Turk and Jauron have to know that the Defense and the Running game have to compliment Edwards...

I am still fine with this team at 5-3....Some of the positives from this game was that Derek Fine might turn out to be a good pass catching TE. He was involved in the game quite a bit. Pos and Greer had good game. I think this team still can make it deep into the playoffs, if they can fix some of their flaws.

8) Mitchell looked slow out there.

There were at least two, maybe three plays where I swear he had a good angle on the ball carrier, and it looked like he held up at the last second and "deferred" to a speedier DB to make the tackle...which resulted in an extremely predictable extra +5 yards for the Jests. Dammit, if you're a friggin' LB and you have a kill shot on the runner: TAKE IT!!!

It's certainly true that Trent had a bad game today in terms of the turnovers, but I think we all need to realize that he's only a second year player who is going to make mistakes this season. We got spoiled the first 4 weeks when he looked like a 10 year vet making all the throws and smart decisions, but he's just coming back to the reality of what he is--a very talented young QB with the potential (IMHO) to be not just a good one, but a great one, but who is still, despite that, playing only his first full starting season in the League.

In some ways that goes for the entire team--it's a young team that I expected to compete in 2009 personally. Of course, I've been ecstatic like the rest of you this season, but I think it's only natural that this team comes back to earth a little bit. The question will be whether they can pick themselves up and get back to work--next week will be tough, but I don't think a win against a Brady-less Pats* team is impossible, even in Foxboro. I guess we'll see about that next week.....

As for tonight, go Colts!

It's certainly true that Trent had a bad game today in terms of the turnovers, but I think we all need to realize that he's only a second year player who is going to make mistakes this season.

Could it be that DCs now have a 'book' on Trent?

How about a book on Turk?

Bill,

I think the Bills self-destructed today then being out coached. When you dig yourself a 10 point hole with a fumble and INT returned for TD in the 1st qtr of the game, when you should have been up 17-3, you don't give yourself a chance to win.

The biggest disappointment for me was how flat we came out in the 2nd half of the game. THe momentum going into half time was with us with the Jets missing the FG. If we score a TD on the 1st drive of the 2nd half, we would have dominated the game.

At this point of time Trent Edwards is not ready to carry this team on his shoulder by himself. Turk and Jauron have to know that the Defense and the Running game have to compliment Edwards...

I am still fine with this team at 5-3....Some of the positives from this game was that Derek Fine might turn out to be a good pass catching TE. He was involved in the game quite a bit. Pos and Greer had good game. I think this team still can make it deep into the playoffs, if they can fix some of their flaws.

Agree. Trent has to learn that a QB in this league has to earn his place each and every week, there is no room for regressing or bad days in a 16 game schedule. Maybe just me, but kneeling with 19 seconds left in the first half and letting 15 seconds go at the end of the third quarter just shows that this team is playing and being coached with no sense or urgency. In this league, you need to take advantage of each and every opportunity, you never know when something may break your way and giving away plays is just plain dumb.

...Kelsay's a defensive captain...

The play from the d-line has been horrible. Some strange technique being displayed too. Other than Schobel and Wiley in recent years, we've missed on too many high pics on that front four and got plain lucky with others. Guys like Big Ted turning their careers around here, switching from a 4-3 base elsewhere to a 3-4 here after being a "bust". Paup coming over and transforming himself. Our "busts" end up out of the league after they're here. Flowers, Kelsay, Moore, Anderson, Triplett, Jones (injury), Ahanatu...

...well, at least Dallas got whipped!

Let's face it, the Bills are a good team, but not any better than that. They are capable of beating anyone, but also capable of getting beat by anyone. This is the second game in a row that the opponent was gift wrapping the game to us early and the offense could not take advantage of it. Then when it remained close, the defense is incapable of stopping the dink and dunk offenses, giving up valuable time of possession and giving up points, even if its only three.

The D does not look any better than last year. I'm thinking Fewell needs to be let go at the end of the year. Too bad there is bad blood with Wade Phillips, I'd love to have him back as a D-coordinator. As much as everyone on this board hates on Schobel, we need him back desperately. We did much better with him in the lineup healthy.

On offense, Trent is without a doubt the QB of the future of this team, but for now he is still making mistakes that are killing us. He doesn't seem to be able to feel the pressure anymore, he needs to throw it away when he has tons of time but no one to throw too. The offensive line seems to be pretty good at pass blocking, but absolutely pathetic on run blocking. If there's anything that needs to improve, its that. That alone will help out Edwards tremendously.

I hated the 3rd and inches call for a pass. That should have been a run on third and another run on fourth.

This team will lose to the Pats* next week, unless they figure out how to stop the dink and dunk offenses.

7) No excuses for the picks by Trent. On the first one, they absolutely had to come away with points. On the last one, it was a dumb time to go to Hardy.

Would your observation #7 been observation #1 if QB #7 was QB #1?

Would it have been worded the same?

Everyone complains about not getting production from the first 3 members of the 08 draft. The first 3 members of the 07 draft have not exactly lit it up the last 4 weeks.

Too bad Miami didn't take Trent and leave John Beck for us.

Would your observation #7 been observation #1 if QB #7 was QB #1?

Would it have been worded the same?

Everyone complains about not getting production from the first 3 members of the 08 draft. The first 3 members of the 07 draft have not exactly lit it up the last 4 weeks.

Too bad Miami didn't take Trent and leave John Beck for us.

Yah Beck is a really stud :thumbsup: Take your meds.

1) WTF was Jauron thinking when he challenged the reception? There was no chance of the play being overturned, and that was our last timeout.

2) I am not going to start a poll, but how many of you are getting an upset stomach watching Kyle Williams get his ass beat?

3) This might make no sense, but Mckelvin looks bad even when his reurns result in decent yardage. I know that he is young and I am grasping at straws, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to see some production of Jauron's little prodigy. Maybe it's me.

4) Over the years, I have made some not so strong attempts to defend Kelsay. I am here to say that I am sorry about that. He is small, weak and now he is even slow. He isn't good at any phase of his position.

5) Dockery looked like a very average Guard today. Maybe that's what he is, average. Preston was a disgrace. Whittle? At the end of the game I wasn't sure if he was laying there hurt, or he passed out in shock because someone mentioned the possibility of successfully blocking his opponent.

6) When you are outcoached by Mangini (who is a freaking nitwit), you are either second rate, or having a very bad day. You be the judge. In the credit where it's due department, I bet that Jauron looks better at shaking the winning coaches hands than any other head coach in the NFL. He sure has enough practice.

7) No excuses for the picks by Trent. On the first one, they absolutely had to come away with points. On the last one, it was a dumb time to go to Hardy.

8) Jauron will win you some games with his bend but don't break b.s., but chalk up this loss to the Jauron philosophy. Non-impact 1st round defensive backs, and weak lines.

9) Back to Kelsay.....Denney and Kelsay were just so bad today that it hardly mattered at all that they were on the field. There was no chance of them containing their sides. I swear, after one particular play it looked like K. Williams was getting pissed, and he is so-so at best. Good God! :wallbash:

10) OK, the running backs coach needs to teach these guys to hold onto screen passes that are right in their f :thumbsup: ing hands. I mean seriously, wtf is going on with this? :wallbash:

11) Kudos to Stroud, Greer and Poz.

12) Two penalties for 12 men on the field? Guilty as charged, but Mangini spent virtually the entire game on the playing field. Does the 12 man rule exclude beached whales?

13) NE is now a must win game. I hope that Jauron can keep this team from quitting after this disgrace.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that the Bills are the least physical team in our division. We can not run the ball and we can not rush the passer. Trent was certainly not perfect today, but with no running game and only ONE legitimate wide receiver, he does not have much to work with. Our pass rush has been NON EXISTENT for most of the season. And in the 4th qtr. after making it a six point game, we let the Jets pretty much run out the rest of the clock. That is totally inexcusable.

Do most of you kind of feel like we really are not much better than last years team? We have not beaten a team that has been playing good football all season. Seahawks, Jags, and Chargers look pretty poor, and we barely beat a bad Raiders team, and the Rams were at the end of their rope as well. If we can't start running the football, we are a 8-8 team at best.