A Few Thoughts About The Game

McKelvin returning kicks is the least of this team's problems. In last night's game, John Madden mentioned that OLinemen love to run block, its the part of the game that makes them dominant and in control, our line can't do a damn thing in run blocking.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing listening to Madden.

He (Madden) actually said 3 things last night that made me stop and listen.

Run blocking was 1

Second was imposing your will on an opponent. You can only take what they give you so long. Sooner or later you have to impose your will on them. How do you impose your will on an opponent? Evans was double covered yesterday...CB in press coverage, safety over the top. Well boys and girls don't you have to test that coverage at some friggin point in the game? Don't you have to go to your #1 WR come hell or high water and allow him to make a play? Someone please remind me of the # of deep balls we've attempted over the past 2 weeks because I've lost count.

Defensively--how do you impose your will? Gordio mentions the CBs playing well off the receivers. HTF is that working out? Warner picked us apart underneath. Pennington picked us apart underneath. Favre picked us apart underneath. Do you realize that opposing QBs have completed over 70% of their passes over the past 3 games? How's that working out Perry?

And the 3rd thing Madden said...I can't remember WTF it was, but it was brilliant! :angry:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run blocking was 1

Second was imposing your will on an opponent. You can only take what they give you so long. Sooner or later you have to impose your will on them. How do you impose your will on an opponent? Evans was double covered yesterday...CB in press coverage, safety over the top. Well boys and girls don't you have to test that coverage at some friggin point in the game? Don't you have to go to your #1 WR come hell or high water and allow him to make a play? Someone please remind me of the # of deep balls we've attempted over the past 2 weeks because I've lost count.

Defensively--how do you impose your will? Gordio mentions the CBs playing well off the receivers. HTF is that working out? Warner picked us apart underneath. Pennington picked us apart underneath. Favre picked us apart underneath. Do you realize that opposing QBs have completed over 70% of their passes over the past 3 games? How's that working out Perry?

And the 3rd thing Madden said...I can't remember WTF it was, but it was brilliant! :rolleyes:

I am in favor of bringing back the bump 'n run. It would teach today's strutting WRs a lesson in humility.

You know what the worst part of this is? As bad as we are playing, turn overs, penalties, dropped passes, missed tackles and assignments. We are still in the games at the end. We aren't getting blown out. The problem is we aren't doing the things we were earlier in the season. We have gotten away from protecting the ball, playing smarter and focusing on assignments.

Is as if all of these guys have gotten content with where they are. Blame Trent, the OL, The DL everyone. The fact is we have bad injuries in key positions. Missing Reed is killing us, he is the offensive spark we needed yesterday. Our RB's couldnt catch a cold either. Having him go across the middle and make the tough catches is sorely missed.

And how about Royal yesterday, it was like he couldnt drop a pass. Cant figure him out.

Someone needs to step up in that locker room and take charge. Its not time to push the panic button yet, but the Jets are a good team and as much as I hate to admit it, so is Miami. They went into a hostile environment and took a one away from Denver. This AFCE will be no cake walk by any means.

I am wondering if Edwards is still suffering some from his concussion----I know it sounds dumb, but he just looks a split second slow---like his brain is taking just a little bit longer to process the information than he was before....maybe I am grasping at straws here, but it certainly is possible----he might seem OK and function OK, but those split second things might still be a little off...he is holding the ball much more than previously...

My wife and I are wondering about this too.

D---what can I say---they started by pressuring Favre, and were doing pretty good at stopping things, but then during the middle of the game, they decide its a good time to lay off him, and let them start throwing 8 yard passes all over the field again. Then they start dialing up the pressure, and he throws and INT off his back foot....when is Fewell going to equate pressure on the QB with bad decisions---its not like we have gotten burnt by it yet---there is no reason he should be that tentative in blitzing more often...

Seems painfully obvious to me too. When we bring the heat and put a lot of pressure on the QB, no matter who it is, they're gonna start messing up. That was the whole concept behind the '85 Bears 4-6 defense. Especially Brett Favre. The pick was a classic Favre "duck and chuck". But to be honest, we did get burned on the blitz in the Q1 on that long screen. But big deal, they got a FG out of it. Maybe the guys wear themselves out if they do it too much? Don't know, but I say bring it baby. What do you think will happen to Cassell if we're in his face all day Sunday?

6) When you are outcoached by Mangini (who is a freaking nitwit), you are either second rate, or having a very bad day. You be the judge. In the credit where it's due department, I bet that Jauron looks better at shaking the winning coaches hands than any other head coach in the NFL. He sure has enough practice.

Bill: Your status as an NYC resident clouds your judgment about Jets coaches. You lambasted Herm Edwards for years, yet he got to the playoffs three times in five years there. He'll have made it once in three years in KC, but anyone who is watching them now can see that they're trying to build a foundation for the future. They have very good young talent, but are missing a QB. Mangini took over a 4-12 team and will probably make the playoffs for the second time in three years this season. Those coaches are a lot better than you think. Living in NY, I realize how easy it is to be deluded into thinking that all the coaches that don't win championships are bums. That mob mentality is the reason why Joe Torre and Willie Randolph are no longer coaching in NY.

- No doubt the offense made mistakes yesterday - but the defense not being able to make any crucial stop on that last drive was such a familiar sight going back to so many crappy teams/losses in the past - it is just so demoralizing

- It has been mentioned - Mitchell did not look good yesterday. I mentioned in the game thread he must have been suffering from Lynch's 'flu-like symptoms'. There were at least 3 plays where he look like he was jogging along with a play and had opportunities to stick himself in the play but just didn't want to. Perhaps he was sick or hurt - but not a good showing.

- Poz also - I know he is a fan favorite - but he continues to not impress me. Takes himself out of position (or gets taken out) way too often. Him getting pushed back 7 yds into the end zone on the TD run was absolutely disgusting IMO.

- That last pass to me was way more about a really lame effort by Hardy than where the ball was placed. It was not a pass intended to be caught in stride in the corner of the end zone - it was a desperation play to put the ball up for a receiver to make a play on the ball - something decent receivers do in every game every Sunday. I don't care if he's "just a rookie", "it takes three years to be able to play WR" blah blah - it already seems (at this point) he might not have the capacity to read defenses, find seams, run routes - but going after jump balls was supposed to be his *specialty* ("former basketball player!") - and he is just terrible at it. Watching him try to go after a ball reminds me of watching Randy Moss half-heartedly attempt a catch after he's already quit in a game.

- I'm starting to wonder if problems with the pass offense are more and more about the fact that our receivers, outside of Evans and Reed, just plain suck and can't get open - and with Reed out, there simply wasn't anyone open if Evans was taken out of the play. I'd like to hear from someone at the game who might have been paying attention if there were open receivers that were just being missed.

- I amazes me watching Kelsay and Denney every week routinely making mistakes at DE that we teach the kids on my son's 10 yr old football team not to make. Multiple times this year I've said to my son on a replay "Watch the DE on this play - right there is why we tell you guys that the DE needs to contain and stay home"

- 3rd and inches from there in that situation - same as always I'm yelling at the TV just run twice up the middle if necessary to get 6 inches - how can you not get 6 inches in two downs???!!!!?!?!?

- I was actually happy to see the defense so aggressive at the beginning - even with that first screen they seemed to still be bringing it. Then the defense is off the field for what amounts to a quarter and they just didn't seem the same when they come back.

- How incredible was it to see the offense have tha ball for like 15 uninterrupted minutes. I was thinking regardless of what has happened - at least we should be totally wearing down the defense - then they let the Jets get a seven minute drive at the end of the half and totally lose that momentum/advantage.

- God I hate the F'in Patriots* - please please please show up this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- That last pass to me was way more about a really lame effort by Hardy than where the ball was placed. It was not a pass intended to be caught in stride in the corner of the end zone - it was a desperation play to put the ball up for a receiver to make a play on the ball - something decent receivers do in every game every Sunday. I don't care if he's "just a rookie", "it takes three years to be able to play WR" blah blah - it already seems (at this point) he might not have the capacity to read defenses, find seams, run routes - but going after jump balls was supposed to be his *specialty* ("former basketball player!") - and he is just terrible at it. Watching him try to go after a ball reminds me of watching Randy Moss half-heartedly attempt a catch after he's already quit in a game.

have to strongly disagree. the qb has to put the ball in a position where the defender can't get it, and especially in that case, where hardy won't have to go through revis to get to the ball.

have to strongly disagree. the qb has to put the ball in a position where the defender can't get it, and especially in that case, where hardy won't have to go through revis to get to the ball.

Hardy needs to make an adjustment to get some position on the little smurf defender he towers over so he is not reaching over his back. Watch the highlights from the Cleveland game and see how Braylon Edwards adjusted on a pass even more 'underthrown' to make a TD catch. Again - these are routine plays decent receivers make multiple times every weekend. Hardy has shown not only a complete lack of awareness/control to get his body in the right position relative to the defender - he also has shown no aggressiveness to go after the ball and GET IT.

That INT is on Edwards. It was a bad throw. To me though, it's like the Royal fumble in Miami. No matter what happens on those plays, the Bills are a long ways from winning the game.

Bill: Your status as an NYC resident clouds your judgment about Jets coaches. You lambasted Herm Edwards for years, yet he got to the playoffs three times in five years there. He'll have made it once in three years in KC, but anyone who is watching them now can see that they're trying to build a foundation for the future. They have very good young talent, but are missing a QB. Mangini took over a 4-12 team and will probably make the playoffs for the second time in three years this season. Those coaches are a lot better than you think. Living in NY, I realize how easy it is to be deluded into thinking that all the coaches that don't win championships are bums. That mob mentality is the reason why Joe Torre and Willie Randolph are no longer coaching in NY.

Seeing you praise the coaching abilities of both Mangini and Edwards can only lead me to one conclusion. As a young child, you must have been dropped on your head.....................................multiple times.

Edwards is Rich Kotites twin brother from a different mother. Neither one of them could coach a starving pit bull out of an open cage if they were waving a 5lb porterhouse steak at them.

Edwards inherited a talent rich team, ready to contend, from the Parcells era, and promptly ran it into the ground. Then, behind mgmnts back, as the Jets were losing because of his ineptitude, like the scum bag he is, he negotiated a job with the Chiefs.

BTW:You could have coached the team he was handed into the playoffs. (Head injury and all)

If you want to compare Mangini to Edwards I would agree Mangini certainly is smarter. But look at it this way, its like comparing the village idiot to a cement block and declaring what a genius he is.

Mangenius will be Manjobless if the Jets crash and burn this year.

Run blocking was 1

And the 3rd thing Madden said...I can't remember WTF it was, but it was brilliant! :wallbash:

Jauron is not an "impose your will on them" coach. He's all about managing risk.

Peters played very well today. Don't expect fans to admit this, however, particularly after an ugly home divisional loss.

My concern with Peter's is that it doesn't look like he learned much from playing against Porter last week. He got beat again on an inside rush, jumping. Luckily Dockery was there. Unfortunately for Dockery it was because Jenkins had clubbed him there. Subtract Dockery and Peter's man makes that same play. Are we going to blame it on "hustle". Will be interesting to watch how he fares in the coming weeks.

Bill, I am amazed how two people can watch the same game and see something totally different. Props for 3 guys who got run over all day? Sorry. Single coverage on our 6'6" WR? Perfect time to throw to him. Too bad the rookie doesn't know how to fight for a ball. You are wayyyy too generous with the O-line. Every last one of them, including your binky Peters, sucked out loud today.

PTR

+1

However poorly the Hardy ball was thrown it's inconceivable to me how anyone can say it was a poor decision. Were we hoping to hit Jackson on another checkdown down 9 points with 1:30 left?

The "we got outcoached" theme sounds like similar drivel that's based on nothing other than the end result, which I guess is typical of every loss in the history of the organization in the internet era.

I mean I guess it'd be nice if Jauron didn't challenge a play he shouldn't have (which yawn - just about every coach including Bellichick does) - but it was not 5% the blunder of Mangenius accepting a 3rd down penalty that wouldn't have pushed us out of FG range if we gained zero yards on the next play; which miraculously worked out for them.

McKelvin...McKelvin....this guy is driving me bonkers.

McKelvin is the least of the Bills problems. Revis who was picked almost at the same spot a year ago took a year to progress into a NFL caliber player....McKelvin has apretty good shot at it too.

Seeing you praise the coaching abilities of both Mangini and Edwards can only lead me to one conclusion. As a young child, you must have been dropped on your head.....................................multiple times.

Edwards is Rich Kotites twin brother from a different mother. Neither one of them could coach a starving pit bull out of an open cage if they were waving a 5lb porterhouse steak at them.

Edwards inherited a talent rich team, ready to contend, from the Parcells era, and promptly ran it into the ground. Then, behind mgmnts back, as the Jets were losing because of his ineptitude, like the scum bag he is, he negotiated a job with the Chiefs.

BTW:You could have coached the team he was handed into the playoffs. (Head injury and all)

If you want to compare Mangini to Edwards I would agree Mangini certainly is smarter. But look at it this way, its like comparing the village idiot to a cement block and declaring what a genius he is.

Mangenius will be Manjobless if the Jets crash and burn this year.

Spoken like a true NY Metropolitan-regioner. Herman Edwards reached the playoffs in four of his first six seasons, and should have reached the AFC championship game in 04 if not for a Doug Brien missed field goal. The Bills last made the playoffs in 1999. They last won a playoff game in 1995. And finally, the Chiefs may have lost to the SB champion colts in the 06 playoffs, but they're the only team that truly shut them down defensively (surely something Vermeil never did). If they had had a competent QB, they could have won that game.

As for Mangini, they are 5-3 and in first place due to their divisional record. They went to the playoffs two years ago. The Bills did not.