Gonzalez Report

BillsVet

As much good as TG might do for this team, losing Freddie Jackson in any trade would actually put us at a loss. Freddie does a lot of things that help make this offense go, and losing him would be a huge hit to Trent and the team. Jackson should not even be considered in a trade, and in fact, his contract should be renegotiated by the end of the season to ensure that he stays here for a long time.

I would hope the majority of people posting here agree with that and I'm presuming they think we can acquire TG without giving up Fred Jackson. Besides, KC has a few running backs as it is. I think a draft pick or 2 will do the trick. I would be shocked if we lost Fred Jackson considering what he's done for us this season thus far.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much good as TG might do for this team, losing Freddie Jackson in any trade would actually put us at a loss. Freddie does a lot of things that help make this offense go, and losing him would be a huge hit to Trent and the team. Jackson should not even be considered in a trade, and in fact, his contract should be renegotiated by the end of the season to ensure that he stays here for a long time.

One, I think Xavier Omen could still compliment Lynch...maybe not as good as Fred, but the drop off is far less than the upside gain of going from Royal to Tony G.

Two, Fred has upped his value and is going to want to start and there will be teams interested in him just like Turner. So, I am not optimistic he will want to sign a long term deal to stay a back up or time share guy permanently. Hes going to want to see if he can get one big payday as a free agent eventually, so I just dont see him locking up here long term. I would love to keep him, but hes shown too much to not garner serious interest from other teams when his deal is up.

So as much as I would hate to see Fred go, I would take the trio of Tony G, Lynch and X over Royal, Lynch and Fred. Its not a land slide decision, but I would say its a favorable one for us and would like to see it happen.

Yes, he would be a shot in the arm, but let's remember there's a reason he's being traded. Jackson provides more dynamics and future upside to this offense that TG ever could at this stage in his career. I say go for him, but keep it strictly draft pick only -- and no more than a 3rd rounder.

Yes -- the reason is because the management in KC know they won't be a contender this year or next, and they're willing to honor TG's wishes as long as they get something in return to help their team. It's called mutual respect.

Gonzalez has plenty left in the tank and will be an asset wherever he winds up.

.02: If we get TG, who is going to block? If TG is in the game and he is going out, I am sending all-out blitzes at TE. OK, maybe he completes some of them but there is the chance that he takes a good hit (re: Arizona) and is lost. They are keeping Royal, et al, in on most occasions so that TE has enough time. Take the tight end away and its the Pamplona blitz. If TG has to block most of the time, why give up so much for him? They also want to get Lynch and Jackson involved in the passing game. Maybe keep Royal, etc. in to protect Edwards and send out Lynch and Jackson more often as receivers.

I would BEG the opposition to all-out blitz. PLEASE BLITZ!

OK, and go ahead and blitz. Then I run screens and quick hitters to TG until you slow down that pass rush. Nothing like a couple of screens for 40 yards a pop to stop you from blitzing.

Everyone here is acting like football is so friggin hard. If TG were to come here, which I doubt will happen, he'll step right in, run routes, and contribute in a big way. He's a great player for a reason.

It's football for gods sakes. They'll figure out a pretty easy way to get TG involved. Just like it took Brett Favre a few weeks to learn the Jets offense and become the number 1 rated QB in the NFL.

:(

Exactly. Let's see Evans split wide, Parrish split wide, Josh in the slot, TG at TE lined up a couple yards from the tackle, Lynch in in the backfield (somebody in motion)...Go ahead and blitz!

If it's an short yardage situation, you can bring in Royal, if you don't want to use TG. I don't think TG is a terrible blocker, though.

Vikings taking this route.

Allen contacting Gonzalez

Great idea, and I'm hoping there are Bills doing the same. But, I thought TG wanted to go to a contender?

I would hope the majority of people posting here agree with that and I'm presuming they think we can acquire TG without giving up Fred Jackson. Besides, KC has a few running backs as it is. I think a draft pick or 2 will do the trick. I would be shocked if we lost Fred Jackson considering what he's done for us this season thus far.

Definitely. But, if they did part with Fred (whch I hope they don't, and don't think they will), I could live with it, to get TG. Maybe the Bills assume that they won't be able/willing to re-sign Fred, who is a RFA, after this year.

I agree. If they're only asking for something like a 3 and a 6 or a 3 and a 5, lets get this thing done. No hesitation.

I'll be disapointed if Brandon allows TG to go to the Giants or another team for anything higher then a 3rd round draft pick. Brandon used this years' 3rd rounder to draft Ellis, the defensive end that can't even practice his way onto the game day roster from week to week so far this year. He used his fourth round pick on Derek Fine, a rookie tight end that nobody thought would ever become another TG, even if he didn't get injured this season. And these are the types of draft picks that Brandon and most of you fans think are so valuable to protect against trading for a 33 year old future Hall of Fame tight end with no serious injury problems, who just came off a 99 catch season last year, and who wants to play for a team that has a chance to win now?? This is the time to be bold, tonight, to make a trade ESPN will actually have to mention Buffalo made if they get TG, as much as they despise mentioning the 4-1 Bills. I say Brandon should throw caution to the wind and just plain offer KC the best draft pick or combination of two draft picks of all the teams bidding, and get the guy into a Bills jersey. Who would blame him for "overpaying" for the best tight end available when the Bills have such an obvious need at tight end during such a promising season?

Would anyone be upset if the Bills used a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on TE in next year's draft? Well how about just getting arguably the best TE in football and getting two or three more good seasons out of him? Isn't it worth it? This team has a chance to be good this year and Gonzalez would be a difference maker on this offense.

I know there are people talking about the Gonzalez to Buffalo angle. Chris Brown has it on his blog that there is an unconfirmed story from ESPNews that Buffalo is interested in Tony Gonzalez. However...

The report says Chiefs CEO King Carl (Peterson) wants a first and change. That's too high, and I'd be surprised to see KC get any more than a second. Gonzalez has some tread left on him, but a first is probably the initial offer, which is never accepted. TG has made it known he'd like to get out while the Chiefs undergo complete rebuild.

The trade deadline is 10/14, and Chris Chambers went for a second last year. My gut tells me Buffalo does not consider Gonzalez for more than a third. His pay is manageable for 08 and 09, but there's some guaranteed money there as well.

Then again, this is a must-win year for the Bills and there is no quality TE on the roster. You've got an H-Back type in Schouman and an injured rookie in Fine being the backups to the disappointing Royal.

I agree. However, offering a second round pick, I don't think is out of the question. Tony Gonzalez is still one of the best tight ends in the game.

Chris Brown's blog points to a Scouts Inc. arm that claims the Bills have offered a 3rd for Gonzalez.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2008/10/13/n...e-for-gonzalez/

the fact in itself that Brown is even talking about it is meaningful, imo

Gonzalez seems like he would be a perfect weapon for Edwards.

It is interesting that Chris Brown who works for the Bills, has to find about a Bills rumor from Scounts Inc.

whats also missing here is the fact that gonzo is a physical freak...lookin at his stats you'll see that he has missed two games in his entire NFL career. also him being under contract for 3 more years gives the bills room to trade him to another contender should he become unsatisifed with the situation here. this would be an unreal deal if the bills could pull it off. i just dont see it happening cause i see the eagles pulling this off to finally give mcnabb some real help

tthis is why I'd give them a #2 this year and #2 next year and maybe something else...maybe a 5th!

A lot of people seem to be getting really geeked up on this. Proceed with caution - odds are KC won't move him at all. It would be great if they did - to the Bills. I don't want everyone on the TG sugar high to crash hard if he's still in KC tomorrow at 4:01 PM

I have a feeling I'm gonna crash hard. lol. Hell, I've already asked Tim Russert to intervene and see what he can do for us!!!

I agree. However, offering a second round pick, I don't think is out of the question. Tony Gonzalez is still one of the best tight ends in the game.

He has a lot left in him, but nothing more than a second round pick. Perhaps a third and a fifth. King Carl needs something, and it's a buyer's market.

It's up to the front office, namely GM designee Brandon, to find out what other offers are out there. Anyone who's read Moneyball knows it's an art near the trade deadline to get people to say things they don't want to. I'm sure multiple teams are after TG, but this is one season to take a chance. Buffalo is 4-1, there's no big name team in the AFC, at least not yet, and your team has gone 8 straight seasons without making the playoffs. If not this year, when?

If Buffalo continued with the youth movement and got another TE in the 09 draft, I'd have to say it's a financial thing, because third round picks aren't getting big dollars. A lot of the TE's coming out of college are fast, bulked up WR's. See Keller, Dustin. Not saying they won't be good, but Travis Beckum, Chase Coffman, and others aren't going to be Tony Gonzalez. Pettigrew, maybe. Then again, it's 2008 and the team has a chance to get a player who could take them beyond just the next level.

You have a player like TG, and all those TE screens we tried to run with Schouman and Royal last year would be deadly. In addition, you add him to our red zone package and teams cannot just play a Hardy fade - they'd have to worry about the fade, an Evans/Reed slant/in, a Y stick by Gonzo....Lynch/Jackson in the flat.....

c'mon Russ, you got us Stroud, now get us Gonzo!!!!

Would anyone be upset if the Bills used a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on TE in next year's draft? Well how about just getting arguably the best TE in football and getting two or three more good seasons out of him? Isn't it worth it? This team has a chance to be good this year and Gonzalez would be a difference maker on this offense.

Well lets look at the facts then:

TG- if Bills get TG he'd be a starter from day 1.. hes already seasoned and knows whats hes doing and how the NFL works...Hes one of the best TE's in the game...hes got anywheres from 3 - 5 years left in him

first day TE in 2009 draft - if bills draft a TE in round 1 or 2 most likely he'd be starter from day 1 also...rookie TE would take half a season up to 2 seasons maybe even 3 seasons to get acclimated to the NFL...highly doubt any TE in this draft has the potential to be as good as TG, not saying we couldnt find a stud TE just not another TG

so basicaly the Bills could waste anywhere up to 3 years on a draft TE to get what they can have from day 1 with TG..any TE the Bills pick in the draft would be a 50/50 on potential...It just seems smarter to spend a #2 or #3 on a known commadity then take a chance on a draft pick that cpould end up flopping..or worse take 2-3 years to become great and then leave for better $ after only 1 or 2 good seasons in Buffalo

He has a lot left in him, but nothing more than a second round pick. Perhaps a third and a fifth. King Carl needs something, and it's a buyer's market.

It's up to the front office, namely GM designee Brandon, to find out what other offers are out there. Anyone who's read Moneyball knows it's an art near the trade deadline to get people to say things they don't want to. I'm sure multiple teams are after TG, but this is one season to take a chance. Buffalo is 4-1, there's no big name team in the AFC, at least not yet, and your team has gone 8 straight seasons without making the playoffs. If not this year, when?

If Buffalo continued with the youth movement and got another TE in the 09 draft, I'd have to say it's a financial thing, because third round picks aren't getting big dollars. A lot of the TE's coming out of college are fast, bulked up WR's. See Keller, Dustin. Not saying they won't be good, but Travis Beckum, Chase Coffman, and others aren't going to be Tony Gonzalez. Pettigrew, maybe. Then again, it's 2008 and the team has a chance to get a player who could take them beyond just the next level.

There is the fact this is going to be most likely the most loaded draft in NFL history - because of 2010 and the potential for slotted contracts. With Upshaw's death, the hardline stance on that issue hasn't been mentioned...

You got a guy like Gresham - who is pretty much an all-around TE that can also do an end around (!!). But who knows if we could get him? We know we can get Gonzo. We know the price and we know we'd have him for at least another 3 years. In three years we can have a guy ready to groom under him....

On the WIVB website there is a clip from Paul Peck saying that a Bills source confirmed that the Bills are interested and are willing to give up the necessary picks to get him.

If this report is accurate it is very significant. It tells us that KC is satisfied with the Bills offer but will wait to see if any late bidders come calling. It could also indicate that KC is waiting on Gonzalez to decide if he wants to go to buffalo. All along the Chiefs said they would act out of respect for their franchise player.

I was skeptical about this deal and NFL trades usually do not happen in season but if this report is accurate I give it a better than 50% chance of happening.

While I wouldn't give away the farm for him, a 3rd and a 6th (or even 5th) would be a no-brainer, IMO.

Gonz is clearly past his prime, but as most note, is a big step up from what the Bills currently have. More importantly, IMO, is that if the Bills acquire Gonzalez (I understand that isn't likely), they might actually start to use the tight end more in the offense. THAT would be the biggest improvement, IMO. I would settle for them using Royal more, if this doesn't happen.

I agree with "The Dean." A 3rd and 6th round choice for Tony Gonzalez is not breaking the bank. Tony is a class-act and a blue-collar type worker. He brings his best every day and is a fan favorite. Sure, he is on the downside of his career, but he really does have 2-3 years left as an above average TE in this league.

Buffalo can then spend its first pick on OC Alex Mack. The Bills can then use their second pick on a DE to bolster a generally weak pass rush.

Fill in an OLB with the 4th pick and a backup OG and Safety with the other picks.

Resign Kirk Chambers, Duke Preston and Jabari Greer for depth. Let Fowler and Whittle go. Let Fine and Schouman battle it out for the 3rd TE on the roster next year behind Gonzalez and Royal.

Let's go Buffalo!!!

There is the fact this is going to be most likely the most loaded draft in NFL history - because of 2010 and the potential for slotted contracts. With Upshaw's death, the hardline stance on that issue hasn't been mentioned...

You got a guy like Gresham - who is pretty much an all-around TE that can also do an end around (!!). But who knows if we could get him? We know we can get Gonzo. We know the price and we know we'd have him for at least another 3 years. In three years we can have a guy ready to groom under him....

I would add: who knows that any draft pick really can catch up to the speed of the NFL game? can deal with the distractions of being a professional player on an NFL team? will continue to work hard even though he is making multiple millions to play a game he used to play for free? etc.

But, I agree that even if the Bills get TG (please let that happen) they should be looking to develop another young draft pick to follow him.

lets say the Bills were to make the playoffs...whats the worst they would pick in the draft?..22 - 26 right?...KC is basically in the top 5 worst teams right..so there pick most likely would be pick 1 - 5...would it be worth it to give KC our 1st for TG and there 4th?..there 4th would be almost a 3rd really...this way we could this:

2009 draft:

1 - traded to KC for TG

2 - C - Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas. 6-4 314

3 - OLB - Clint Sintim, Virginia, 6-3 254

4 - OG - Andy Levitre, Oregon State, 6-3 317

4 - ???

If this trade actually happens for any of the options everyone has mentioned on this thread, we would all be thrilled. I think those that say we shouldn’t give Losman or a 2nd round pick, are trying to hold their excitement in contempt should we not get Gonzalez. If we all are honest we would not have any issue absorbing his salary, giving up Losman, a 2nd, a 3rd, a 3rd and a 5th, etc., should the announcement be made that “the Buffalo Bills have added Tony Gonzalez to their team today.”

Just imagine that announcement!

On the WIVB website there is a clip from Paul Peck saying that a Bills source confirmed that the Bills are interested and are willing to give up the necessary picks to get him.

If this report is accurate it is very significant. It tells us that KC is satisfied with the Bills offer but will wait to see if any late bidders come calling. It could also indicate that KC is waiting on Gonzalez to decide if he wants to go to buffalo. All along the Chiefs said they would act out of respect for their franchise player.

I was skeptical about this deal and NFL trades usually do not happen in season but if this report is accurate I give it a better than 50% chance of happening.

That video can be found here (scroll down, click the Sports Video tab, click 'Bills front office busy during bye week').

Sort of wierd wording they used there: "Our sources say the team is interested, and willing to give up the draft picks that it would take to upgrade the offense."

Does that mean KC has given the Bills a minimum that they find acceptable, and that the Bills have already decided they're willing to meet that minimum? It could be that KC is just winding down the clock on the trade deadline, in case someone decides they want to outbid us.

Pure speculation of course, but this is getting interesting.

I would add: who knows that any draft pick really can catch up to the speed of the NFL game? can deal with the distractions of being a professional player on an NFL team? will continue to work hard even though he is making multiple millions to play a game he used to play for free? etc.

But, I agree that even if the Bills get TG (please let that happen) they should be looking to develop another young draft pick to follow him.

Yeah, another effect of getting TG in there for the next 3 years would be that we could put off drafting a TE for another year or 2. DE, C, OLB all need to be addressed as well as TE, so giving up a 3rd rounder for a quality player at a need position for the next 3 years is worth it not only for production, but for giving the Bills some more flexibility come draft day.

That video can be found here (scroll down, click the Sports Video tab, click 'Bills front office busy during bye week').

Sort of weird wording they used there: "Our sources say the team is interested, and willing to give up the draft picks that it would take to upgrade the offense."

Does that mean KC has given the Bills a minimum that they find acceptable, and that the Bills have already decided they're willing to meet that minimum? It could be that KC is just winding down the clock on the trade deadline, in case someone decides they want to outbid us.

Pure speculation of course, but this is getting interesting.

If you're in the KC front office, wouldn't you wait till the deadline and try to get a bidding war started? I sure would. I agree. Pure speculation, but a good speculation, I'd say.

Tony Gonzales would look damn good in the Bills throwbacks!

Just sayin...

Oh, and I can honestly say the Bills could go from a potential playoff contender to a potential Super Bowl contender in a matter of 24 hours if the trade goes through! Just my opinion!

I know you stated its just your opinion..but I wouldnt go that far...potential playoffs to definate playoffs Id go tho