I may get flamed but, is Jackson better than Lynch?

Reed83HOF

Let me say this - I love both of our backs. They are a great tandem...

I know I may get flamed for this; but why does Freddie seem to rip bigger runs off than Marshawn? Do teams focus less on Freddie? Does the O-line block better? :sick:

I know Marshawn has more attempts, it just seems that Freddie does more with his opportunities than Marshawn....Lynch gets a ton of 3 or 4 yds runs and Freddie always seems to rip a long one...

Thoughts?

i think your answer lies in your first sentence....they are a great tandem....from what i can see, Marshawn is more of a bruising runner and Jackson is more of a speedy runner....defenses are kept off balance with the inclusion of both of them in the backfield

I know I may get flamed for this; but why does Freddie seem to rip bigger runs off than Marshawn? Do teams focus less on Freddie? Does the O-line block better? :sick:

I know Marshawn has more attempts, it just seems that Freddie does more with his opportunities than Marshawn....Lynch gets a ton of 3 or 4 yds runs and Freddie always seems to rip a long one...

Thoughts?

jackson finds the hole a bit better and is a better pass catcher.

lynch has more size, speed, cut back ability, strength, and is just plain painful to tackle.

lynch has more rarer skills, but jackson is perhaps featured in our O better. now if lynch can be a better pass catcher, watch out.

Thoughts?

Nobody, NOBODY, works as hard for his yards like Marshawn Lynch. We should feel blessed that we have TWO talented running backs with two different running styles. Despite our questionable O-line, these guys are getting it DONE.

Thoughts?

I think Lynch is much better but Jackson has a quick burst and doesn't hesitate -- which is a bit of an advantage with the horrible run blocking. Moreover, I don't think Jackson could carry the load like Lynch does.

i think your answer lies in your first sentence....they are a great tandem....from what i can see, Marshawn is more of a bruising runner and Jackson is more of a speedy runner....defenses are kept off balance with the inclusion of both of them in the backfield

I total agree with you.

I have been waiting to see if someone else would've posted this yet...I am sure a few others may have at least pondered this...I love them both and it is great!! We haven't had this since Kenny and Thurmal :rolleyes::flirt:

I share these same thoughts, it's not like Lynch is slow though. Look at Freddies TD today, there was a huge hole for him - I just don't think I have seen that big of a hole ever for Lynch...When Freddis catches a pass - watch out; when he runs he gets good yardage. Lynch seems to get stood up a lot more...

lynch has more size, speed, cut back ability, strength, and is just plain painful to tackle.

lynch has more rarer skills, but jackson is perhaps featured in our O better. now if lynch can be a better pass catcher, watch out.

The biggest thing is the opponent defenses Tee off on Lynch, knowing that he is our biggest asset, whereas when Fred Jackson is in the game, the defenses Tee off on Edwards hoping that it is either a pass to Jackson or down field.

They're both great and we're fortunate to have these two great RBs on our team. Lynch is the better back IMO, but I absolutely love Coe College.

Yes, great to have both. I really wish people would stop playing the comparison game -- Lynch vs. Jackson, TE vs. JP, etc. blah, blah, blah.

TEAM -- that's what we have and it's great!

The skill set of each is different. The bills attempt a variety of plays for Jackson that they would not for Lynch.

Personally I think that the screen pass is again under utilized in this offense.

Another play that I keep thinking they are setting up when both backs are in is a reverse that starts with Lynch, and goes to Jackson. That, I would like to see.

(reed8383 @ Sep 28 2008, 07:42 PM) *

I may get flamed but, is Jackson better than Lynch?

No, but he is damn good.

After Taylor and Jones-Drew, the Bills may have the best 1-2 RB punch in the league.

After seeing the effort that Lynch is putting in this season I don't know how anyone could make this assertion. While Jackson is a good RB and a wonderful player and makes a great contribution to the team. Lynch has exceptional talent and puts in maximum effort on every play. He has the potential to be a hall of fame caliber player as a starting RB. Jackson has the potential to have a long and productive NFL career as a role player.

On a side note did you also think Frank Reich was a better QB than Jim Kelly?

Nobody, NOBODY, works as hard for his yards like Marshawn Lynch. We should feel blessed that we have TWO talented running backs with two different running styles. Despite our questionable O-line, these guys are getting it DONE.

I can't wait til the O-Line gels later this year. The offense might start having great first halves too.

Lynch- grinds :rolleyes:

Jackson- glides :flirt:

I am amazed Dick Jauron preferred Anthony Thomas over Fred Jackson last year. ;)

Good analysis.

Anthony Thomas who? BTW, Dwayne Wright is currently unemployed. Big surprise.

After seeing the effort that Lynch is putting in this season I don't know how anyone could make this assertion. While Jackson is a good RB and a wonderful player and makes a great contribution to the team. Lynch has exceptional talent and puts in maximum effort on every play. He has the potential to be a hall of fame caliber player as a starting RB. Jackson has the potential to have a long and productive NFL career as a role player.

On a side note did you also think Frank Reich was a better QB than Jim Kelly?

Easy Doc...I never said I thought Freddie was better than Marshawn...I simply asked a question to see what others thought...and provided some discussion points...

I think they both bring a different element to the game and it helps keep teams off balance...I think they both play well...

This is a team game and this truly is a team. I like what both bring to the table and as The Dean said - they are one helluva tandem. Marshawn is one helluva beast....

Oh to answer your question....

Yes Frank Reich was a better QB than Jim Kelly....

IN the Wildcard game against the Oilers :rolleyes:

(Yes I know JK didn't play)

Fred is great in space and receiving, but as far as a normal run straight up the middle off left guard, he's usually not as successful. Marshawn can be much more effective grinding out the tough yards in the middle, and he's got a nose for the endzone. Freddie had a great run today that energized the team and really lifted us up when we needed it, and that was huge, but it was also atypical given the situation. The run blocking was excellent on that play and he made a great move to freeze the cornerback which assured him the goal line. I think the coaching staff tends to be a little more creative with the plays run to Fred, because with Marshawn they know they can just have him run straight up the middle and he'll be successful for 4 to 5 yards consistently.

They are complimentary. Both valuable, both key contributors. It is great to have both. Although their running styles are different it seems like they both fit within the offensive scheme. Both can catch well out of the backfield. Marshawn clearly is more shifty laterally and more powerful, I think Freddie is better in space. Freddie is more subtle and uses pauses and shoulder leans to set up his move while Marshawn is a dervish of pumping churning legs and power.

Jackson is nowhere near the physically gifted runner that Marshawn is. Jacksons success running the ball in relation to Lynch is partially due to the fact he is on the field more in passing packages and is perceived as more of a passing threat. If Lynch was to get hurt and Jackson was given the load on 1st down vs 7 and 8 man fronts you would clearly be able to see the difference.

Like many others have said though, who cares, they compliment each other great and we're making it work.

I know I may get flamed for this; but why does Freddie seem to rip bigger runs off than Marshawn? Do teams focus less on Freddie? Does the O-line block better? ;)

Thoughts?

Because Jackson can run north/south and Lynch can't. I love Lynch for his strength but he will never be a "great" back just "good"...

Don't believe me about the north/south...watch next game. Its not a line issue its a Lynch/RB coach issue

They are complimentary. Both valuable, both key contributors. It is great to have both. Although their running styles are different it seems like they both fit within the offensive scheme. Both can catch well out of the backfield. Marshawn clearly is more shifty laterally and more powerful, I think Freddie is better in space. Freddie is more subtle and uses pauses and shoulder leans to set up his move while Marshawn is a dervish of pumping churning legs and power.

Gotta hand it to Marv. When Jackson was signed, it looked like Marv was trying to help out his fellow Coe graduate. Jackson has proved to be very deserving of the opportunity.

Because Jackson can run north/south and Lynch can't. I love Lynch for his strength but he will never be a "great" back just "good"...

Don't believe me about the north/south...watch next game. Its not a line issue its a Lynch/RB coach issue

Lynch has those large side-steps that he does that are long and drawn out and hurt him. Jackson is quicker and faster and doesn't move east-west, but certainly not as powerful as Lynch who is outstanding with his power. I believe Jackson is more talented (flame away) and has superior vision and watches his blockers more.

Lynch will never be "great", but very much above average to good. I really believe Jackson could not take an entire 16 game work-load, Lynch can. We are lucky to have a good combo, but I believe Jackson is better and would get more yards and scares D's a lot more with versatility. No one fear Lynch breaking one in the back-field at this point, D's don't know if Jackson will be lined up behind Edwards or split out wide where he's uncoverable as a WR to a LB.

Running hard and like a "beast" is great, but that doesn't make him better. One of the best runners I've seen was Priest Holmes who just watched his blockers and knew how to hit holes. Nothing fancy, but he knew how to make plays.

No.

Here's how it is.

Freddy makes a guy miss, then maybe makes another guy miss, and gets tackled.

Marshawn runs over someone, makes a guy miss, makes another guy miss, runs over someone else, makes yet another guy miss, then gets tackled.

Marshawn is the man. Freddy is the able understudy.

As a former tailback I know what every one of marshawns runs look like; I have run them all a hundred times at least. I think marshawn gives away his advantages in many different ways.

Firstly, he is impatient. He does not stay in position behind his blockers in order to threaten the defense with the cutback and tends to make outside runs very shallow. When he does this he cannot freeze a defender with the threat of getting a full head of steam and running over them, nor can he threaten a cutback. Jackson makes the runs look the way Vince Lombardi ran them.

He often runs at a defender and then slows down in front of them. He then uses his quick feet and strength to wrestle through the guy and often looks spectacular doing it. If the defender knows you will not run straight at them travis henry style, then they can break down in front of you and defend against a change of direction.

Marshawn is not fast. Lets say it: he takes four strides to cover five yards at full speed. That is an incredibly, abnormally small stride length. He does not have speed defenders need to be aware of before they fly in in an overly aggressive manner.

I realize the combine was a year and a half ago for him, but his weightlifting numbers were pathetic. I am four inches taller than he is and the same weight and I can lift as much as he can. I have a little fat roll and dont work out very hard.

We dont use marshawn correctly. Our zone blocking scheme favors a small, low, cutback style back with good vision like Mojo. Lynch's strength is getting into small holes and getting tough yards in traffic. We should use him like the cowboys used emmit smith. We should not encourage him to run east and west by running 26 zone blocked so much. When he runs plays to the outside he should sprint for the hole instead of pick his way there so the linebackers can catch up. He is great on screens

Freddy does everything right that lynch does wrong. He looks like a classic style tailback in the mold of curtis martin. He is going to break bigger runs and average more yards per carry. Remember that he is 220 and puts bigger hits on defenders than lynch when he has a full head of steam. He is easier to wrap on inside runs, where we shoud prefer lynch.

Having said all that, Lynchs positives are big ones. Lynch runs with a very low center of gravity and keeps his feet under him. He is a marvel to watch. His blocking and receiving have improved tremendously as has his strength. This is not an endorsement of Freddy and a complaint against marshawn. I feel that the different look they give the defense with their styles is effective.

I would like to see freddy offset left in a flexible formation with a fullback or H back to the right and a tight end split two yards out. But i guess we have to hire joe gibbs for that.

He could also be effective if we use him in the slot like the patriots use welker. They have a different style of offense, but ours is moving toward that style.

I think Lynch is the sledge hammer and Action Jackson is the pick. The sledge hammer just keeps hitting opponent until they are sore and tired making further runs of any type easier. A pick is fine but if used too much or without using the sledge you are not likely to get far unless you hit a weak spot.

Lynch is the player who makes Jackson look better.

I think Lynch is the sledge hammer and Action Jackson is the pick. The sledge hammer just keeps hitting opponent until they are sore and tired making further runs of any type easier. A pick is fine but if used too much or without using the sledge you are not likely to get far unless you hit a weak spot.

Lynch is the player who makes Jackson look better.

Exactly,Lynch bruises them and Jackson blows by them.

It's because bigger for us is mainly taller. We have a 6'6 left guard and a 6'7 right guard. Dockery is naturally wider though so he can overcome his height most of the time but Butler's height fuks him up in short yardage and drive blocking more often than not. As for Fowler, he is 6'3 and 315 lbs with is actually perfect size for a center, but he has no natural power or explosion to go with it to make him an effective run blocker and poor vs. the bullrush in pass protection as well.

Lynch is not faster than Jackson.

As a former tailback I know what every one of marshawns runs look like; I have run them all a hundred times at least. I think marshawn gives away his advantages in many different ways.

Firstly, he is impatient. He does not stay in position behind his blockers in order to threaten the defense with the cutback and tends to make outside runs very shallow. When he does this he cannot freeze a defender with the threat of getting a full head of steam and running over them, nor can he threaten a cutback. Jackson makes the runs look the way Vince Lombardi ran them.

He often runs at a defender and then slows down in front of them. He then uses his quick feet and strength to wrestle through the guy and often looks spectacular doing it. If the defender knows you will not run straight at them travis henry style, then they can break down in front of you and defend against a change of direction.

Marshawn is not fast. Lets say it: he takes four strides to cover five yards at full speed. That is an incredibly, abnormally small stride length. He does not have speed defenders need to be aware of before they fly in in an overly aggressive manner.

I realize the combine was a year and a half ago for him, but his weightlifting numbers were pathetic. I am four inches taller than he is and the same weight and I can lift as much as he can. I have a little fat roll and dont work out very hard.

We dont use marshawn correctly. Our zone blocking scheme favors a small, low, cutback style back with good vision like Mojo. Lynch's strength is getting into small holes and getting tough yards in traffic. We should use him like the cowboys used emmit smith. We should not encourage him to run east and west by running 26 zone blocked so much. When he runs plays to the outside he should sprint for the hole instead of pick his way there so the linebackers can catch up. He is great on screens

Freddy does everything right that lynch does wrong. He looks like a classic style tailback in the mold of curtis martin. He is going to break bigger runs and average more yards per carry. Remember that he is 220 and puts bigger hits on defenders than lynch when he has a full head of steam. He is easier to wrap on inside runs, where we shoud prefer lynch.

Having said all that, Lynchs positives are big ones. Lynch runs with a very low center of gravity and keeps his feet under him. He is a marvel to watch. His blocking and receiving have improved tremendously as has his strength. This is not an endorsement of Freddy and a complaint against marshawn. I feel that the different look they give the defense with their styles is effective.

I would like to see freddy offset left in a flexible formation with a fullback or H back to the right and a tight end split two yards out. But i guess we have to hire joe gibbs for that.

He could also be effective if we use him in the slot like the patriots use welker. They have a different style of offense, but ours is moving toward that style.

What flag football league do you play in?