I heard Colin Cowherd today say that Trent Edwards

I would rather have another healthy backup linebacker on the roster.... :nana: He can have the "LOISE"Linebacker with poise..

Walking boots + woods, take them, grrr.... <3

As far as Hamden, please don't kid yourself into thinking that you have found a diamond in the rough. He has not yet proven that he is anything at all other than a 3rd string qb, and that is far from a given. He might not even be in the NFL next season, and this is a qb starved league.

His name was thrown out there at us to make light of the possibility that Trent could ever be as good as JP. The screen names were nothing less than pot shots at the people who supported Trent. We can pretend otherwise, but I think that most honest posters know what was taking place.

Hey, most of it was all in fun, not a big deal at all. As for Hamden, you might want to see him attempt a pass in a real game before you throw roses at him, or anyone else for predicting things about him that never happened.

Difference being that I've seen him play for 3 seasons and he was by far the best QB NFL Europe has seen. That's why I registered and stepped into the thread at the time. I was a diehard Amsterdam Admirals fan, with my NFL team being the Bills (i liked the Bills because they were so similar to the Amsterdam Admirals, lot's of bad luck and long non championship streaks, Admirals went for 10 years without success). So can you imagine my joy when Hamdan was signed to the Bills?

Kurt Warner, Jake DelHomme both Amsterdam Admirals QBs, yet Hamdan looked better, wiped them out of the recordbooks to proof it, especially his ability to read the game, lead the team and his strong arm, he was rated a top 10 second QB by Scout.com in 2006 but broke his ankle then ended up with us with a d-tour the led through Miami.

My question with Hamdan was if he could make the additional step from NFL Europe to NFL (level of play was in between College and NFL, and was full pro). He showed it during the pre-season allthough the scoreboard production didnt show, for reasons beyond his control (catchable drops, fumbles <cough Dwayne Wright>. Just look at the first drive of the 4th pre-season game, now compare that playstyle with TE. He made the team and received praise for the Seahawks game from DJ, wasn't released for Jason Peters or Crowell. Sounds to me the coaches see in him what he showed in Amsterdam. Other then that future will only tell, I guess.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, I am shocked. I'm glad you didn't take that bait!

Kelly the Dog said he thought that, right now, Trent looks like a top 15 QB, and I don't think that is far off. I certainly hope and expect that, by the end of the year he is firmly a top 15 QB, and closer to top 10.

But, the idea of using Colin Cowturd as a source for anything, is absurd. That guy is the WORST! I don't think he believes half of what he says, and simply says stuff to generate controversy and calls. Typically he says stupid stuff that pisses us off. Just because, this once, he said something we like, doesn't mean it ain't stupid.

But, if your point is Trent is getting noticed, then I hear ya. And rightfully so.

In Trent's own words, he "didn't show up for the first 3 quarters." Sure, the 4th quarter comeback was tremendous but it never comes to that with a top-10 guy.

It's still a work in progress. When he starts doing it for 4 quarters, then we'll have our top-10 guy.

Where did you get that from? Elway is considered, by most, to be one of the top 5 QB's of all time...he was certainly capable of putting up three rough quarters of football, on a regular basis, only to make great things happen in the fourth quarter. What makes so many of the all-time greats, "great" is their ability to come up with plays when their team is on the ropes...more often than not, the team got on the ropes, becuase of poor play.

I am not arguing that Trent belongs in the top 10, right now, but I think it is funny, depending on your perspective, how people will make up their own rules for great QB's, as they go along. IMO, Trent has played very good, to great football for 8 of the 12 quarters that have made up this season. Three of those eight quarters happened to be 4th quarters. He may not be great, but he is on the cusp. There are far fewer QB's who consistantly palyed 4 quarters of great, error free football every week. Does that mean the only great QB's in the modern era are Brady, Montanna and Aikman? I don't think so...

My top ten QB's in the league today.

1. Tony Romo

2. Peyton Manning

3. Drew Brees

4. Carson Palmer

5. Donovan McNabb

6. Brett Favre

7. Jay Cutler

8. Eli Manning

9. Phillip Rivers

10. Kurt Warner

I don't think Trent Edwards is there yet, but he will be soon. Also not on the list is Aaron Rogers or Big Ben Rothlisberger. Tom Brady is not on the list either because he (obviously) is injured.

JMHO

Zack

Gotta disagree with a lot of ur top ten Mine would go

1. Tom Brady (even though hes hurt hes still the best in the business)

2. Peyton Manning (Are we really demoting this guy 3 weeks into the year?)

3. Donovan McNabb (when hes healthy, and he is now there arent much better)

4. Big Ben (a bad line will get him pounded this year but hes a grade A QB)

5. Drew Brees

6. Jay Cutler (the smitch has been flipped with this guys)

7. Eli Manning

8. Phillip Rivers (even though I hate this guy hes playing at a real high level)

9. Carson Palmer (he hasnt played well in nearly a full season now)

10 Brett Favre (ESPN would have you believe that last year was the only season of Bretts career and that the three seasons before that one where he sucked didnt exist)

So no I dont put Trent here yet but hes very capable of passing Favre and Palmer thsi year. He would need to do it for longer to move much furthur up the ladder.

Not really..He had promise and showed it for 5 games at most..The rest was an exercise in frustration

I remember last year when a few posters were saying I am so sick of hearing about this poise crap..Some were so sick of it they made a joke out of it.."The Chroise"..and others come to mind...I dont think anyones joking about his poise anymore..Granted its only his 12th start but his book has been started...Other QB's havent even found an author yet..

Agreed

I am glad someone else remembers this too. :D

The hypocracy of some around here is unbelievable. Oh well, I guess we all say dumb things that we will regret later, when we are going through a painful breakup from our best girl. :nana:

I distinctly recall, after Trents first two starts, when some people were saying that they liked what they were seeing from him, there were lots of incensed and enraged JP fans calling out anybody who dared suggest that Trent had good football qualties that seemed to be elluding JP. How the chorus has changed...

Back to back game winning drives in the 4th quarter- Trent is the man. He is cool as a cucumber and there is no one I would rather have QBing the Bills with the game on the line. He is most definitely top 10 in the NFL

Trent will be a top 5 QB by years end...

I am glad someone else remembers this too. :D

The hypocracy of some around here is unbelievable. Oh well, I guess we all say dumb things that we will regret later, when we are going through a painful breakup from our best girl. :nana:

I distinctly recall, after Trents first two starts, when some people were saying that they liked what they were seeing from him, there were lots of incensed and enraged JP fans calling out anybody who dared suggest that Trent had good football qualties that seemed to be elluding JP. How the chorus has changed...

Funny isnt it..Not hardly a peep..They are waiting for Trent to get hurt and then the I told you so's will be out...

1. Tony Romo

2. Peyton Manning

3. Drew Brees

4. Carson Palmer

5. Donovan McNabb

6. Brett Favre

7. Jay Cutler

8. Eli Manning

9. Phillip Rivers

10. Kurt Warner

I don't think Trent Edwards is there yet, but he will be soon. Also not on the list is Aaron Rogers or Big Ben Rothlisberger. Tom Brady is not on the list either because he (obviously) is injured.

JMHO

Zack

Ben is definitely a Top 10 QB. He is better than a Eli Manning who completes about 55% of his passes. He is also better than Rivers and Cutler with better credentials in the same # of seasons they have played. Kurt Warner and Brett Favre throw too many interceptiosn to be included in the Top 10 QBs.

In Trent's own words, he "didn't show up for the first 3 quarters." Sure, the 4th quarter comeback was tremendous but it never comes to that with a top-10 guy.

It's still a work in progress. When he starts doing it for 4 quarters, then we'll have our top-10 guy.

Really....How many 4th Qtr comebacks does Elway have ? How many times did Montana stink up the joint before pulling his act together in the 4th Qtr.

Teams are down for many reasons, You cannot blame the QB for everything....If Lee Evans doesn't fumble the ball, we have an additional 3 points going into the half. If Huggins does not split the safety, the Bills would have been down only by 2 and up by 1 if they scored that FG. It was not Trents decision to defer the kickoff as the Bills staff thought they could pin the Oakland offense deep in their territory and it backfired with that huge higgins return.

That would matter if football were scored like Olympic gymnastics, with points given for style. In the NFL, it's all about who has more points when the clock hits 0:00.

PTR

Walking boots + woods, take them, grrr.... <3

Difference being that I've seen him play for 3 seasons and he was by far the best QB NFL Europe has seen. That's why I registered and stepped into the thread at the time. I was a diehard Amsterdam Admirals fan, with my NFL team being the Bills (i liked the Bills because they were so similar to the Amsterdam Admirals, lot's of bad luck and long non championship streaks, Admirals went for 10 years without success). So can you imagine my joy when Hamdan was signed to the Bills?

Kurt Warner, Jake DelHomme both Amsterdam Admirals QBs, yet Hamdan looked better, wiped them out of the recordbooks to proof it, especially his ability to read the game, lead the team and his strong arm, he was rated a top 10 second QB by Scout.com in 2006 but broke his ankle then ended up with us with a d-tour the led through Miami.

My question with Hamdan was if he could make the additional step from NFL Europe to NFL (level of play was in between College and NFL, and was full pro). He showed it during the pre-season allthough the scoreboard production didnt show, for reasons beyond his control (catchable drops, fumbles <cough Dwayne Wright>. Just look at the first drive of the 4th pre-season game, now compare that playstyle with TE. He made the team and received praise for the Seahawks game from DJ, wasn't released for Jason Peters or Crowell. Sounds to me the coaches see in him what he showed in Amsterdam. Other then that future will only tell, I guess.

Now I get it. :nana:

It is fun to "discover" players. I try to do this in preseason. I work most Saturdays so it is hard for me to watch a lot of college these days.

I won't go into the guys I was "right" about, but the Bills had a player named Dan Brandenberg that I thought was so good, I visualized him as a young Bryce Paup. :D:) To this day I can't understand what happened. This kid was lightening fast, and in preseason he would rip qbs to shreds. Seriously, I wish I knew his sacks stats in preseason; he was virtually unstoppable.

In real games, he was so bad I felt sorry for him. Blockers would toss him around like a frisbee, and he was soon out of the league. In any event I hope you are correct about Hamden. The odds of JP being here next year are slim (NOT A SLAM< OK Dean, Ramius, etc ?. :worthy: ) and we need another qb. Hopefully Jauron will find it in him to also draft another one in 09 as well, after we address both lines. :D

yea act like you didn't thik that back then

340 1 3

169 1 0

184 2 2

157 0 2

200 0 3

266 2 1

237 2 1

and everyone was pissed we took a QB in R3

Not me. Marv told us before the draft that he was going to take a QB that year. I think we got rid of Holcomb and Nall stunk so we needed to get a developmental guy. I and others defended the pick against the "Marv is senile" crowd. The only surprise was how well Edwards played in preseason which elevated him past Nall so that he got the opportunity that Nall would have had when JP went down.

Trent needs to show it for the year. Remember when we all (most) thought JP was a top 10 QB after the great end in 06

trent showed he had "IT" last year however was not given any credit because the team was losing due to having one third of our team on IR.

i believe he is now 8 and 4 as a starter to me thats fabulous for a young QB. seeing that is widely assumed that it takes 3 years for a QB to get it. JP simply put does not have "IT" (unfortunately because i like the guy and wanted him to succeed) however he simply cannot process information fast enough and get the ball out and on time.

schoebel said it best yesterday when he said his optimism for this year is fortified by the quarterback position."i feel trent is a good QB who is going to be great"

everyone wants to make little of Walsh's call on edwards but there is no one more qualified on QB's then bill walsh.

1. Tony Romo

2. Peyton Manning

3. Drew Brees

4. Carson Palmer

5. Donovan McNabb

6. Brett Favre

7. Jay Cutler

8. Eli Manning

9. Phillip Rivers

10. Kurt Warner

JMHO

Zack

To me a top-10 QB must be someone who can take you down and score a game winning TD/FG etc. so I would have to take Brett Favre and Kurt Warner off that list. They may have been top-10 in the past, and in Favre's case top-10 all time, but both of those guys turn the ball over way too much to be top-10 QBs right now. And I also think Romo is a top-5 QB but again he is a turnover machine at times and must at least out perform the other team's QB in a playoff game before he's the best. Statistically he's great, but turning the ball over in big spots and losing playoff games really hurts his best QB in the league bid. Just my $.02.

But, if your point is Trent is getting noticed, then I hear ya. And rightfully so.

It will take Trent much longer to get the big time attention that some other quarterbacks get, simply because he doesn't have a "cannon" arm (the dreaded c-word).

Seriously, picture Cutler after 12 games. Do you think he was further along than Trent is now? Before you answer, please consider the team Cutler was playing for, and who was coaching the Broncos. I saw Cutler at RWS and he certainly does have the arm to make every throw, yet there is so much more to being a great qb.

I really don't care at all if Trent gets as much media hype as certain other qbs. As for Trent vs. Cutler? I am not going to get into which one I prefer, but here's a clue.....his initials are T.E.

It most certainly was started as a sarcasm thing, I see that. But it certainly made me come out of the shadows of being a lurker into almost a daily poster here now (i'm not sure that's a good thing but heh at least TBD can claim to be an international community now... ow wait plenty of english and scots about heh). The topic was started as a "lol who the hell is this guy that we have as 3rd QB" as an offset to the JP/TE discussion, you'd have to ask Pepsi to be sure but I'd reckon it's close to that. Then this wierd Dutch guy showed up actually throwing in some knowledge and facts about Hamdan, he even claimed Hamdan could play. Then preseason came and Hamdan indeed showed he could play, more so then most third string QBs around the league.

Funny thing is that the joke delivered, most of the posters here know more about our 3rd QB now then they ever knew about any of the other 3rds the Bills ever had (The Tome of Lori clearly aside). I think it's great to know as much as you can about all 53 players then just about the stars or even starters everyone allready writes about. A Dutch saying goes "your team is as good as it's weakest link" (it sounds awefully familiar in english as well, not sure if it is a saying though).

In any way, what started as a joke sure made a lot of people look at Hamdan in practises and in pre-season to see what he could or couldnt do, something that would have happened a lot less if the thread never was started.

See I did not see it like that. I saw it as a backhand slap @ Edwards from the losman fan club that was disapointed that JP was not the guy anymore & he was not going to get his 6th chance to win the starting job in training camp. I remember reading prior to training camp from certain posters that if they really opened it up to a true competition losman would win rather easily. Also saying Hamdan had Chroise was a total shot at Edwards.

Anyways I really did not read the whole thread, I only read the first page before getting disgusted so maybe you are right & it did change into an actual thread about Hamdan.

But, the idea of using Colin Cowturd as a source for anything, is absurd. That guy is the WORST! I don't think he believes half of what he says, and simply says stuff to generate controversy and calls. Typically he says stupid stuff that pisses us off. Just because, this once, he said something we like, doesn't mean it ain't stupid.

You know how the drill works around here...

Media says something good about the Bills and they are the most knowledgeable football folks around. Say something bad about the Bills and they are nothing but stupid hacks. :nana:

Gotta disagree with a lot of ur top ten Mine would go

1. Tom Brady (even though hes hurt hes still the best in the business)

2. Peyton Manning (Are we really demoting this guy 3 weeks into the year?)

3. Donovan McNabb (when hes healthy, and he is now there arent much better)

4. Big Ben (a bad line will get him pounded this year but hes a grade A QB)

5. Drew Brees

6. Jay Cutler (the smitch has been flipped with this guys)

7. Eli Manning

8. Phillip Rivers (even though I hate this guy hes playing at a real high level)

9. Carson Palmer (he hasnt played well in nearly a full season now)

10 Brett Favre (ESPN would have you believe that last year was the only season of Bretts career and that the three seasons before that one where he sucked didnt exist)

So no I dont put Trent here yet but hes very capable of passing Favre and Palmer thsi year. He would need to do it for longer to move much furthur up the ladder.

Interesting list. Who would you rather have qb of the bills right now? Edwards, Favre, Palmer or Big Ben. I could honestly say I would pick Edwards. Favre is done, Palmer I think is a little overrated. He really has not had a good year since coming back from his knee injury. Tough to tell on that team though since it is total chaos. Choosing TE over Big Ben is a tough one. I do not know, there is something about Rothlesberger that I just do not like. It seems like everything has got to be perfect for him in order for him to succeed. He needs a good running game, good line protection, good receivers. Even the announcers on sunday were saying he was holding the ball too long. Cutler is interesting also. This guy has got a cannon & he seems like he knows what he wants to do with the ball. Edwards is more of a game manager.