Willie Anderson released by Bengals

Spanky46

God I hope not!!

Todd Wade has been released by the Washington Redskins. He is probably a decent Veteran backup LT (He was started for Miami a couple of years ago) and the Bills may pursue him to solidify their T position.

Don't even begin thinking he is an option here. The Peters thing won't go on forever, and Anderson isn't a player to be headed to the bench when Peters finally shows. Wade would be a better option, however I think we'd be better served keeping Bell on the active roster rather than risking he makes it through waivers. I have to believe a team like Indianapolis or Detroit would consider claiming him after they saw his talent first hand.

If Anderson was a LT I'd make more sense cause then you could move Walker back to RT- he's 33 which isn't too old because OL guys often play at a high level past their mid 30's but he is coming off injuries ( a knee and a foot) and both those injuries can really linger on a big man. If he could and would move to RG I'd take him in a minute.

I think the bills are a perfect situation for Willie Anderson........do you really want Kirk Chambers starting at RT going into the season?

NFW

Ya but when that holdout guy, cant remember his name comes back we have 3 starting tackles and one has to go. Id rather keep he who shall not be named til he reports and walker. JMO

So how does it work to pick up other teams cut players? Would the Bills have to release someone else on their roster to aquire a new guy? Sorry for a basic question, I just don't know the system. Seems a couple of guys out there now, that maybe Buffalo would look at. Another TE possibly?

GO BILLS!!

If it's a vested veteran, he becomes a FA immediately. If it's not a vested veteran, he goes on the waiver wire. And yes if the Bills were to sign him, they'd have to cut someone first to make room for him.

If it's a vested veteran, he becomes a FA immediately. If it's not a vested veteran, he goes on the waiver wire. And yes if the Bills were to sign him, they'd have to cut someone first to make room for him.

Got it. Thanks for the clarify. Think Buffalo will go after anyone soon???

We already have the biggest line in the NFL Anderson would make it even bigger, AND better. Butler would be an expensive backup, but oh freaken well. Our run game would get a HUGE shot in the arm, literally. The more I think about it the more I like it. The only slight downside is Anderson is 33 but the future is now. Another move that makes too much sense so I guess it won't be made. B-):worthy:

We already have the biggest line in the NFL Anderson would make it even bigger, AND better. Butler would be an expensive backup, but oh freaken well. Our run game would get a HUGE shot in the arm, literally. The more I think about it the more I like it. The only slight downside is Anderson is 33 but the future is now. Another move that makes too much sense so I guess it won't be made. B-):worthy:

It's never quite that simple. If it were possible to just plug and play O Linemen, more teams would do it. But offenses are too complicated for someone to adjust that quickly, even with a vetran Like Anderson. Bringing in Anderson when the Peters issue is still unresolved would be a mistake. Now, if Peters is definitely not going to show this season at all, then it might be worth looking into.

You are correct, it's not quite that simple. But with Anderson, most of us have seen him play some over the years and his style IMO would suit the guard position quite well, especially staying on the right side. I doubt this situation will happen so we are pretty much wasting our finger strokes right now even discussing it but hey, ya never know. I would love to stick it to Peters and his agent anyhow. Ya don't put yourself higher than the team, that's all I have to say about that.

You are correct, it's not quite that simple. But with Anderson, most of us have seen him play some over the years and his style IMO would suit the guard position quite well, especially staying on the right side. I doubt this situation will happen so we are pretty much wasting our finger strokes right now even discussing it but hey, ya never know. I would love to stick it to Peters and his agent anyhow. Ya don't put yourself higher than the team, that's all I have to say about that.

I agree totally. Jeez, even his teammates agree. It's too bad because the guy is wasting his career. These holdouts almost never end well. Especially on the O-Line. He'll come back, but he's not in any kind of playing shape, and there's going to be a lot of pressure on him to play. He's going to be dinged up the whole season, thus lowering his market value. I think sometimes these agents have way too much influence, but ultimately it's the player's choice.

The Bengals are a joke. They won't cut average players who do drugs, brake the law and shoot people, but they'll cut outstanding franchise veterans because they won't take a pay cut.

FWIW, Anderson lost his job to the now-franchised Stacy Andrews on the Cincinnati OL. He acknowledged that wear and tear doesn't allow him to be a regular starter like he used to be. As cheap as Cincy is, and Mike Brown makes Ralph Wilson look like a big spender, it's not surprising considering he couldn't play at a high level consistently anymore.

He'd be a depth guy, capable of playing a few games.

Anderson and Andrews

He's a name, sure. But as a player his skills no longer match the regard his name used to.

FWIW, Anderson lost his job to the now-franchised Stacy Andrews on the Cincinnati OL. He acknowledged that wear and tear doesn't allow him to be a regular starter like he used to be. As cheap as Cincy is, and Mike Brown makes Ralph Wilson look like a big spender, it's not surprising considering he couldn't play at a high level consistently anymore.

He'd be a depth guy, capable of playing a few games.

Anderson and Andrews

He's a name, sure. But as a player his skills no longer match the regard his name used to.

Anderson refused to take a pay cut - he gave the B'gals a counter offer, but CIN declined.

He remains a good player - but after 11 seasons, he may well be a very useful part-timer for some club if he doesn't retire.

with Anderson, most of us have seen him play some over the years and his style IMO would suit the guard position quite well, especially staying on the right side.

If he could and would slide over to RG when Peters comes back then I would.

I'm curious what exactly you guys see in Willie Anderson's game that would make you think he's suited to play the RG position for the first time in his career. Considering that Brad Butler may well have graded out better than any other Bills OLineman last year, your willingness to kick him to the bench must be based on some very specific upside your seeing in a 13 year vet who just missed half the season and has never played Guard before.

Fill the rest of us in, eh?

Well, people always talk about the lack of run blocking around here and Anderson sure did a great job of it at tackle. Now, I'm not saying I know 100% that it would work, but I'd say a move like Will Wolford made could give Anderson acouple more seasons. As for Butler, I like his pass blocking a lot but have yet to see him push anyone back in the run game. All I'm saying is it seems to me Andersons strengths such as run blocking and make no mistake, he has been a very solid pass blocker as well, would give us some extra push in the run game while not losing anything in the pass protection department. I understand the "Butler graded out better than the other lineman why is he the guy you would replace" argument though. Personally, I would not even have brought this up if not for the GD Jason Peters situation. :wacko: But, because of it, I believe Willie Anderson would look a hell of a lot better at RT Kirk Chambers till Peters is ready to play. After that, him being a great backup /part time or try him at RG would be fine by me. The way I see it, Jason Peters has now hurt THE TEAM and Anderson getting some money is what you get for the way you chose to handle your "situation". :thumbsup:

Ya but when that holdout guy, cant remember his name comes back we have 3 starting tackles and one has to go. Id rather keep he who shall not be named til he reports and walker. JMO

Slide Peters back to TE - we got a depth problem there, and it solves his contract dispute since he'll no longer be an underpaid LT. :thumbsup:

Too many good players is a good problem, I think.

I'm curious what exactly you guys see in Willie Anderson's game that would make you think he's suited to play the RG position for the first time in his career. Considering that Brad Butler may well have graded out better than any other Bills OLineman last year, your willingness to kick him to the bench must be based on some very specific upside your seeing in a 13 year vet who just missed half the season and has never played Guard before.

Fill the rest of us in, eh?

Butler is good he just needs to stay healthy. A lot of potential and the type of guy who will maximize it. No reason to replace that guy.

I wouldn't mind seeing Anderson as a backup tackle. But not at the expense of Bell. I really like Bell, he's very finesse at this point, but you gotta' love his balance and agility. I don't think I saw him on the ground once in preseason. Gotta' admit I'm pleasantly surprised by both Chambers at RT and Walker at LT. But I don't think Walker can hold up all season on an island like that. It's been assumed for a month now that Peters will report, but the reality is if he can get himself traded he'll get $10M per season from someone and more than justify a lost season financially. So I wouldn't rule out a holdout continuing well into the season.

The Bills have the salary cap room to pay Anderson fairly and re-sign Evans. Some posters say; "But Anderson is a right tackle"....are you joking? So you guys would rather have Kirk Chambers (who?) start at right tackle instead of recent Pro Bowler Willie Anderson? And please don't tell me that Anderson could not make the switch to Left tackle while Langston Walker can. Brandon took a risk signing former Pro-Bowler Marcus Stroud. How in his right mind could he not jump at this unexpected opportunity to bring experience and talent into Buffalo to add to his young improving squad? Bill Polian made his career with moves like this. John Butler and A.J. Smith too. Now it's up to Russ Brandon to make his mark. Get into the Anderson auction, Russ, you can afford it, and your offensive line desperately needs it. If and when Peters comes back? Then Anderson is there to push Walker and Peters to always play to their best or lose their starting jobs. How can that ever be a bad thing? Anderson is over 30, and as long as he feels he's paid well, I'm sure at this point in his career he could accept being the best back-up tackle in the NFL. Plus, raise your hand if some or most of you have not bashed Langston Walker once or twice since the Bills paid so much for him before last year? I cannot find one single negative here at all.

Willie Anderson really isn't very good anymore.

And you are basing that on what?

This is crazy. You can never have to many talented OT or o-line for that matter. We should have been on the phone to him the second he was released. What kind of season do we have if anything happens to Walker? I fully support the Bills in the direction they have chosen with Peters. This would send a message to him as well. I mean really we have room under the cap and I would much rather see Anderson here than another DE in Copeland.

After looking him over, I'd take a flyer on him. He was a Pro Bowl and All-Pro selection from 2003-2006, and was the Bungles' starting RT last year until getting injured and then being placed in IR. He'd be a HUGE upgrade at RT.

But then again, if Peters comes back, where does Walker go? To OG? Center?