I am starting to believe we need to trade Peters

I also say just wait Peters out. But I think we are really taking an enormous risk with Walker and Chambers and Bell. It's borderline madness. It was nice to see them play well in pre-season, even against some starters, but how many times to people have to be burned about preseason before they realize it's a terrible predictor.

Maybe snag a veteran off of waivers in the next round of cuts......

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, trading Peters would provide the instant gratification some fans want. But as an owner or CEO of a franchise, you have to see the bigger picture and I'm sure Ralph is comfortable with just sitting tight.

If I was Ralph I'd be asking Russ one thing - be sure you have communicated our position clearly to Eugene Parker - get in, then we'll talk. Other than that, you sit tight and wait for Jason to walk in the door.

a 3 wat deal, this is not the NBA

Peters is a good LT not great...people give him more credit then he deserves because he was an undrafted TE

if Peters were to get traded it would be for draft picks and at this point i wouldnt have a problem with it...no way is this clown in shape so even when he does report ( and he will ) he wont be ready to play and will probably end up getting hurt

The NFL players and coaches thought for 2007 that Peters deserved to go to the Pro-bowl - I'm shocked to see so many Bills fan who think Buffalo never gets any national respect - think that somehow Peters made the Pro-bowl on some type of mass hysteria.

As for trading for Peters I wouldn't be looking to but if the right deal was offered sure- Jason Witten and a #1 maybe

Although I'd rather watch the Bills make the numskull squirm while he pisses away vast sums of $$$$, trading Peters is probably a non-starter since the trade would be voided when he fails his physical.

Too bad AMF invented automatic pin-setter - the pro bowler is gonna have a tough time finding work.

Is it likely that we get anything in return that helps us this season? I think it'd be a longshot.

So even if we decided the differences were unresolvable, why trade him for a first round pick now (say) rather than a 1st round pick in March when we'd know where the pick was, and we'd have almost a year to get through to him.

In fact, that's probably going to be true every year until he gets his butt to camp.

I am not sure I want a player on my roster with a financial chip on his shoulder.

It appears we may not see this guy for awhile and that will not help the Bills in 2008.

I realize he is a great Offensive linemen but he does us NO GOOD IN STREET CLOTHES.

It may not be such a bad move if we can get a solid LT in return in a 3 way deal.

I am now ready to be bashed by you guys............I have a good grip on my computer chair!

I just do not like the injury situation, the length of his current contract and the way Jason Peters and his agent handled the entire situation.

The ENTIRE situation REEKS of behind the scene, closed door problems that we may never get the real truth.

I am sure the ENTIRE TEAM is pretty pissed off about this situation...and it sets a bad example on how to rework a new deal!

All I am saying here is............it may not be such a bad move by the Bills to explore other options and perhaps they already have.

Just my opinion!

How is that different from caving in to his demands? :wallbash:

Pretty dumb if you ask me. Nope, just hang on to him for the next 3 years if he don't report by Week 1. That is if he's stupid enough to piss his NFL career away.

I really want to know who is behind this logic: him or his agent?

3 way deal, yes it can happen!

He is worth at least a #1 draft pick

So you want to trade Peters because, "he is no help to the Bills in 2008" but you want a #1 draft choice in 2009? When are we going to develop a system to weed out the assclowns of TBD.

I also say just wait Peters out. But I think we are really taking an enormous risk with Walker and Chambers and Bell. It's borderline madness. It was nice to see them play well in pre-season, even against some starters, but how many times do people have to be burned about preseason before they realize it's a terrible predictor.

You can't get too optimistic from preseason. Opposing defenses aren't showing their stuff. Sure our reshuffled O-line looked OK & Bell looked servicable but how will they look when real bullets start flying in the regular season. You can bet opposing defenses will game plan around Langston lack of lateral quickness. That means we will have to devote a tailback for pass protection. We need Peters to realize the full potential our offense could achieve. One corner blitz from the blind side could end Edwards season.

You can't get too optimistic from preseason. Opposing defenses aren't showing their stuff. Sure our reshuffled O-line looked OK & Bell looked servicable but how will they look when real bullets start flying in the regular season. You can bet opposing defenses will game plan around Langston lack of lateral quickness. That means we will have to devote a tailback for pass protection. We need Peters to realize the full potential our offense could achieve. One corner blitz from the blind side could end Edwards season.

bingo!! please continue to post...well done :wallbash:

It may not be such a bad move if we can get a solid LT in return in a 3 way deal.

The thing is, teams do not trade humans who are top flight Left Tackles, because there are so few. Well, almost never......

In 1979, the Patsies traded Leon Gray. He, along with John Hannah, had earlier staged a holdout.

In 2002, New Orleans traded Willie Roaf. He was having big time problems with his coach, and at the time there were said to be domestic issues. He was also coming off surgery for a torn acl, and was 32 years old. His contract? It was similar to what Peters makes now, despite the injury, and the fact that this was 6 years ago. Ya think salaries went up for LTs? Walker signed for more than this after a couple of lackluster seasons at Oakland at RT. Don't misunderstand, Walker was a very good signing. 5 mil. per season is a bargain for a good RT.

In any event, there were 2 notable trades of LTs in the last 29 years as I recall. Getting or giving up a LT in a trade is all but impossible. If you (or anyone) can recall more trades of LTs, I would be interested in reading about them.

Good post. Welcome aboard!

With articles like yesterday's from Tim Graham starting to surface, you have to believe Peters and Parker have begun to realize they don't have public (or private) sentiment on their side. I wrongly believed Peters would report after camp broke, but I still can't imagine he'll carry this into the regular season. Perhaps the Bills wind up playing a game or two without him, but I'll continue to predict Jason will be the starting LT for this team sometime in September.

Trading away a guy with the potential to be your cornerstone is not a smart business move -- any hard feelings that have been created by the holdout can and will be mended.

The thing is, teams do not trade humans who are top flight Left Tackles, because there are so few. Well, almost never......

In 1979, the Patsies traded Leon Gray. He, along with John Hannah, had earlier staged a holdout.

In 2002, New Orleans traded Willie Roaf. He was having big time problems with his coach, and at the time there were said to be domestic issues. He was also coming off surgery for a torn acl, and was 32 years old. His contract? It was similar to what Peters makes now, despite the injury, and the fact that this was 6 years ago. Ya think salaries went up for LTs? Walker signed for more than this after a couple of lackluster seasons at Oakland at RT. Don't misunderstand, Walker was a very good signing. 5 mil. per season is a bargain for a good RT.

In any event, there were 2 notable trades of LTs in the last 29 years as I recall. Getting or giving up a LT in a trade is all but impossible. If you (or anyone) can recall more trades of LTs, I would be interested in reading about them.

Just for historical purposes: the Raiders traded Jim Lachey to Washington for Jay Schroeder in 1990.

That doesn't make it less of an anomaly, but I figured it was good to know. Such research helps me warm up for the coming semeser. :wallbash:

i'd rather have jp than not, but if he won't budge and we won't pay, i'd trade him for 2 firsts.

so

1 he comes back, playes great, and we pay him after another probowl season

2 we pay him now, he comes in

3 he just sits

4 we trade his ass for big picks

i'd go 1,2 then 4. a certain number of games in (especially if we play well) and 4 gets more and more likely

With articles like yesterday's from Tim Graham starting to surface, you have to believe Peters and Parker have begun to realize they don't have public (or private) sentiment on their side. I wrongly believed Peters would report after camp broke, but I still can't imagine he'll carry this into the regular season. Perhaps the Bills wind up playing a game or two without him, but I'll continue to predict Jason will be the starting LT for this team sometime in September.

Trading away a guy with the potential to be your cornerstone is not a smart business move -- any hard feelings that have been created by the holdout can and will be mended.

This is one of the reasons why I think we are actually quite fortunate that the Peters strategy is to say nothing. He knows that there is nothing he can say that will help his case with the fans or the Bills (maybe the typical NFL player pronouncement that not having the contract he wants takes food out of his kids mouths- yeah right).

If he were to say something on a regular basis then virtually guaranteed he would say something which hardened bad feelings with the Bills.

I agree that Peters should not hold out and should be there supporting his teammates. However, given that they have made a decision to hold out, this fan is happy he is saying nothing as I cannot think of anything he can say that would help or convince me what he is doing is right.

I'm not sure if some folks realize just how highly thought of Peters is around the league. The current issue of Sporting News has him rated as the 11th best PLAYER in the league - regardless of position.

You don't trade a guy as gifted as him unless you find out he's badly injured. The Bills hold all the cards here, there's no need to get froggy and jump.