RIP Tim Russert

Like everyone here, I just didn't want to believe it - then I drove by 1180 Delaware Avenue and saw the sign in front of Canisius High School...

Requiescat In Pace

Timothy J. Russert

Class of 1968

Too surreal.

From the CHS web site...

"An articulate and astute son and citizen of Buffalo, New York, Tim eloquently described and defined growing up here in the 1960s. He stayed close and loyal to his roots always...A faithful, loyal, committed and generous man, Mr. Russert was unquestionably our most accomplished and conspicuous alumnus in 138 years."

It's easy to understand why we became so attached to this Son of Buffalo - he was one of us, and he gave voice to the things we all feel as Buffalonians and as Bills fans.

To see the outpouring of emotion from those whose lives he touched on a daily basis - and even more so, from those who knew him only fleetingly or from his on-camera persona - is indicative of the pure decency of the man. We've lost a friend, a kindred soul, and there's a feeling of emptiness in us all today.

We'll miss you Tim - Requiescat In Pace.

Qui Fuerunt Sed Nunc Ad Astra - Tim Russert, 1950-2008 :cry:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who haven't seen it: Buffalo News front page

Hopefully, just this once, the News won't think unkindly of a cut-and-paste:

An inquisitor with the common touch

Tim Russert was just a face on the television to me back in 1996, when I gave my elderly mother the thrill of her life by bringing her to the White House for a Christmas party.

It was there that I met Russert, and it was there that I came to know him.

A few minutes after arriving, I told my mother to wait for a moment while I went to get us some wine. That left this daughter of a coal miner and widow of a tannery worker standing awkwardly alone in the middle of an ornate White House parlor … and that was obviously too much for Tim Russert to take.

I saw him quickly work his way out of another conversation and rush over to my mother and extend his hand. By the time I returned with my wine and introduced myself, my mother and Tim Russert were chatting like old friends.

And the next time I saw Russert, at a party three months later, his first words to me were: "How's your mother?"

The world knows Tim Russert through questions much tougher than that one, but to me, that question he asked me, and the act of kindness he showed us months earlier, told me everything I ever needed to know about him.

Russert died suddenly on Friday, leaving all of official Washington in shock and deep mourning, and leaving me struggling for words, with a lump in my throat, as I wrote his obituary.

It goes without saying that American journalism and American politics won't be the same without him. But it must be said that the lives of countless people, whom he touched with his infinite kindness, won't be the same, either.

… Jerry Zremski

I always imagined how excited Russert would be on the air when the Bills would finally win a Superbowl. he was a key part of the whole glorious package that sustains us all as Bills fans - that dream of eventual SB championship. He was our greatest advocate for his devotion and enthusiasm for the team and one of the only true outlets so the country and world understands what being a Buffalo Bills fan, or a Buffalonian period is about.

He was the model for an ideal Buffalonian (or American) - tough, smart, kind, fair, family man, extremely hard-working, totally unpretentious and without tolerance for the usual BS that politicians use on everybody else.

RIP Tim

I'll take it a step further: They should slap a "TR" patch on the jerseys for one home game. No, he was never part of the franchise but he was their highest profile fan. And Buffalo may have never had the best football team in the country, but we at least had the best reporter in the country for several years. Who knows how much longer the Bills will even be in Buffalo? There's no reason not to celebrate Tim Russert and, by extension, Buffalo fans.

Great idea, but I'll go one better...wear the patch the entire season.

I posted this over in PPP, but as many don't go there, I wanted to share it here...

I wanted to make note about his books. Saw part of a C-SPAN special last night where he extorts the role of our fathers... how they teach us, how they mould us, and how (even tho it can be a hard for them to express, even through the imperfection of our humanity, or circumstances clashing with beliefs that sometimes make it difficult) they love us. It was such a great thing for him to write about this subject, about his own father and other peoples'.

Others in his station have written about the Greatest Generation or the Red-Blue divide, Searching for the meaning of America or presidential campaigning.

He wrote a book about love.

It shows the measure of the man. (Sh--. I'm :cry: now. I almost never cry.) And God, ain't it something almost poetic that tomorrow is Father's Day?

It always gave me a very good feeling when I would hear Russert talk about ours and his beloved Bills, be it on one of his political shows or an NFL film piece. This just plain sucks. I do hope the Bills do something very special in memory of probably their most prominent and fervent fan. In honor of Tim..."Go Bills!".

Bills players come and go. I was thinking of ordering a Bills jersey with Russert on the back. I think that would be really cool

A marvelous idea, Pete. I may do the same. Living in NE, I would only be too happy to explain to passers-by as to why the name RUSSERT is on my back.

The adage "....you root for the jersey, not the name on the back....." does not apply here.

For those of you who haven't seen it: Buffalo News front page

Hopefully, just this once, the News won't think unkindly of a cut-and-paste:

Jerry is a good friend of ours. He used to live in the carriage house behind my mother and stepfather's place in Allentown, when he was first getting started. They got to know him well during those years, and have kept in touch with him after they moved out here to SLC and he moved up in the ranks and to Washington. He came out to visit us a few months ago during a brief break in his work. I can only imagine how hard this struck him. He's a good guy and another who represents Buffalo well.

The coverage on MSNBC today and tonight has been phenomenal. What a great tribute to Russert....and they literally cannot go 5 minutes without mentioning Buffalo, South Buffalo or his blue collar upbringing. What a shining star for our city even in his passing. I'm going to tune into Meet The Press tomorrow just to see more of the tributes to him.

A marvelous idea, Pete. I may do the same. Living in NE, I would only be too happy to explain to passers-by as to why the name RUSSERT is on my back.

The adage "....you root for the jersey, not the name on the back....." does not apply here.

thank you. I have been trying to think of the number to match Russert. Well I think I am gonna get 77- as in Blizzard of 77. Russert-77-Bills- that will help me explain my roots in Buffalo! Timmy- I never met you, but I lost a great friend :cry:

Not to minimize a RIP thread, but someone mentioned it before. TBD may have very well lost a poster and probably a regular. Does anyone know the name that Russ posted under, so we may memorialize that loss too? It sucks when board members pass on, as they're part of our extended family too.

thank you. I have been trying to think of the number to match Russert. Well I think I am gonna get 77- as in Blizzard of 77. Russert-77-Bills- that will help me explain my roots in Buffalo! Timmy- I never met you, but I lost a great friend :cry:

FYI: When the Bills sent him one of the new shirts, I believe he requested #72, because it was the number Luke wore for his high school team.

Add: Here's the picture.

FYI: When the Bills sent him one of the new shirts, I believe he requested #72, because it was the number Luke wore for his high school team.

One of the first pictures I saw Friday when the reports started coming out was him with his Bills jersey on, and one of the first things I thought of was what a way to honor the guy. I am already having my "22" made up with the Russert nameplate, I never have to worry about a hold out, a trade and it honors a true Buffalonian.

Anyone else just watch the Meet the Press tribute to Russert? Great, great show about a wonderful man.

It was touching to see Brokaw choked up, clearly Tim Russert and his Buffalo background served journalism well. Rest In Peace.

Anyone else just watch the Meet the Press tribute to Russert? Great, great show about a wonderful man.

It was touching to see Brokaw choked up, clearly Tim Russert and his Buffalo background served journalism well. Rest In Peace.

It's starting now in my area.

Saw this as part of a larger interview in the Denver Post. Damn, wish he could've bought the team and lived his side dream job. He would never have let the Bills leave town if it comes to that.

AS: So there's no job that you secretly aspire to, like Condoleezza Rice?

TR: This is it. Actually, if I could own the Buffalo Bills and keep the team in Buffalo forever, I'd be very happy. Ralph Wilson has been a great owner. But when he moves on to his final reward, because of taxes, his family will have to sell it and I don't think anyone in Buffalo could afford it. But I still want to host "Meet the Press" — and own the Buffalo Bills on the side.

http://origin.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_9578831