Had to put down one of my best freinds yesterday

I got him back when my son was 3 years old.......I will always remember that day as I was in the military....flat broke.....and my wife wanted me to get a puppy for my son. I traded about 200 dollars worth of computer software and worked on a project in his yard to pay for a GS puppy with championship blood lines from his mother Sadie (a championship show dog in Mass where were were stationed at the time)

I remember going down with my 3 year old into their basement to pick out a puppy......we ended up taking the one was over by himself and beating the crap out of the other puppies if they messed with him. Truth be told I dont think he even liked me that much when I picked him up as the others were totally playful and wanted our attention.....but there was just something about him. So that is the one we took.

We named him Samson......and he grew to be a very healthy smart dog over the years.......he even saved my sons life from a coyote who wandered out onto the playground while I wasn't looking and he was in one of those child swings.....Samson leaped a 6 foot fence and chased the coyote back into the treeline tearing him up all the way.

He was also a great dog to hitch a sled up to and pull the kids around in the snow.

As he got older....he got hip displasia which got increasingly worse over the years.....he sold signs of losing it over the past couple of weeks and we knew it was about time. The day before yesterday his body gave out on him and he could not get up....overnight he got 50 percent worse health wise. We carried him to the vet yesteday morning.

As we carried him into the vet room he lifted up his head and looked at me with that certain look he would give me from time to time to get my attention......he was saying goodbye.

I love you Samson....go find my mom she is waiting for you.

Wow, there must be a lot of dust flying around in my office today.

Sorry to hear about that John, but you did the right thing. I know the day will come when I'll have to do the same with Thurman (our greyhound), I only hope I can handle it as well as you seemed to.

My thoughts are with you buddy.

Wow, there must be a lot of dust flying around in my office today.

Sorry to hear about that John, but you did the right thing. I know the day will come when I'll have to do the same with Thurman (our greyhound), I only hope I can handle it as well as you seemed to.

My thoughts are with you buddy.

Didn't handle it very well....I was a blubbering mess...:lol:

John I am sorry to hear about your dog.I love my GS and he is also great with my kids. They really do become part of the family. I hope it is not to difficult for your son either.

I hope I am not out of line saying this , but my German Shepard also has papers and good bloodlines(probably not as good as what your dogs was, but still good). Anyway he is a good dog wieghs aboiut 120 pounds and is 2 1/2 years old. I think I would like to stud him out for pick of the litter. If I can find that opportunity I will be willing to give you the puppy as I could not handle two dogs that size. I have been trying to decide for a while between getting him fixed or studded out. Anyway it may be too early for you to think about it, but the offer is on the table if you would like.

I got him back when my son was 3 years old.......I will always remember that day as I was in the military....flat broke.....and my wife wanted me to get a puppy for my son. I traded about 200 dollars worth of computer software and worked on a project in his yard to pay for a GS puppy with championship blood lines from his mother Sadie (a championship show dog in Mass where were were stationed at the time)

I remember going down with my 3 year old into their basement to pick out a puppy......we ended up taking the one was over by himself and beating the crap out of the other puppies if they messed with him. Truth be told I dont think he even liked me that much when I picked him up as the others were totally playful and wanted our attention.....but there was just something about him. So that is the one we took.

We named him Samson......and he grew to be a very healthy smart dog over the years.......he even saved my sons life from a coyote who wandered out onto the playground while I wasn't looking and he was in one of those child swings.....Samson leaped a 6 foot fence and chased the coyote back into the treeline tearing him up all the way.

He was also a great dog to hitch a sled up to and pull the kids around in the snow.

As he got older....he got hip displasia which got increasingly worse over the years.....he sold signs of losing it over the past couple of weeks and we knew it was about time. The day before yesterday his body gave out on him and he could not get up....overnight he got 50 percent worse health wise. We carried him to the vet yesteday morning.

As we carried him into the vet room he lifted up his head and looked at me with that certain look he would give me from time to time to get my attention......he was saying goodbye.

I'm so sorry, John.

We put down our stray cat Wallaby, who we picked out of the snow 15 years or so ago, this last week. The usual chronic kidney failure that afflicts felines at that age.

Your decision was right - it's hard, but it is what one must do. :lol:

John I am sorry to hear about your dog.I love my GS and he is also great with my kids. They really do become part of the family. I hope it is not to difficult for your son either.

I hope I am not out of line saying this , but my German Shepard also has papers and good bloodlines(probably not as good as what your dogs was, but still good). Anyway he is a good dog wieghs aboiut 120 pounds and is 2 1/2 years old. I think I would like to stud him out for pick of the litter. If I can find that opportunity I will be willing to give you the puppy as I could not handle two dogs that size. I have been trying to decide for a while between getting him fixed or studded out. Anyway it may be too early for you to think about it, but the offer is on the table if you would like.

I appreciate the offer I really do....I also have others who are trying to give me dogs as well.......

I actually have too many animals for my residence so I am going to pass......I still have 2 other dogs (akita and another young German Sheapard) and 2 cats........

They have big shoes to fill.

I'm so sorry for your loss John.

I lost my much loved basenji, Nigel ,last year at the age of 17 and can tell you Samson will always be with you, as Nigel is with me.

Just remember:

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,

and you shall see that in truth you are weeping

for that which has been your delight."

From The Prophet

by Kahlil Gibran

Here is a link to a poem that Jimmy Stewart read on The Tonight Show after losing his beloved dog Beau.

CLIP

Peace be with you.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author Unknown

The Rainbow Bridge

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Author Unknown

Very nice man.

John, I'm sorry for your loss. My Malamute mix was the only dog to survive when my buddy's dog gave birth. The dog became mine from its first moment of life. That was 8 1/2 years ago and I really don't know how I'm going to deal with it when it comes.

Hey John, sorry for your loss.

I had a GS when I was a young kid. The only thing I remember was that damn tail that always wacked me in the face, as I was a perfect foot and a half tall :devil:

I have a Golden now who's almost 17 years old, and her time is quickly fading. I know its going to be hard for all of us, she was here for what seems like so long.

Its good that you still have 2 other dogs, though. Good luck to you and once again, sorry for your loss.

The Rainbow Bridge

Author Unknown

I really loved this when i read it. Samson was in so much pain and truthfully has been in pain for the last couple of years. He couldn't run around like he used to.......you could just see it.

You know who is taking it the hardest out of my animals? My fluffball cat phantom (has a phantom of the opera type mask I rescued him from a shelter for my daughter) He LOVED Samson and would get out of the house and go lay on top of him.....that feline is more cat then dog I think.

Phantom has been hanging out at the patio window he can see phantom from and is not moving from there except to eat.

Its tough man....tough

There's no better type of dog than one's own dog.

That is very true however as I mentioned I don't have a dog so I have to just go with my feelings when I meet someone elses dog. Also when I see a great sheppard I say to myself "if I had a large yard and wanted a dog, THAT'S the kind I want.

Sorry to hear that man. My mutt of 9 years died last Saturday AM. The night before, she was acting odd and having trouble getting up. She hadn't been eating very good. I went to take them out after I got up and she was just laying there curled up, only she wasn't sleeping.

Hard stuff to get over. She was almost like a member of my family. My wife and I got her shortly after we were married.

The Rainbow Bridge

Author Unknown

I hate that poem. Every time I read it, I get a bit choked up.

I know, but it's a nice thought, isn't it?

Yeah. Like I said, I just went through the same ordeal last week, so I'm a still a bit on the girly side about the whole thing. It is a very nice thought, quite honestly. There's another out there about making the decision to do what Mr From Hemet had to do recently that's equally as "bad."