Overheard on the subway..

Guffalo

As I was on the 1 train in Manhattan, I overheard some women talking about recent layoffs. One comment caught my attention

"...........yeah, they are moving the jobs to Buffalo and Tampa, thats where there is affordable housing and labor"

Does anyone know of a recent firm/company that either has a presence in Buffalo or has just moved to Buffalo recently?

maybe it was this story:

http://www.rbjdaily.com/fullarticle.cfm?sdid=66152

TODAY'S TOP STORIES

L.A. businesswoman picks Rochester

By MARY STONE

Rochester Business Journal

April 17, 2007

A one-woman Los Angeles communications firm has moved to Rochester to set up shop.

For now, though, Lionheart Communications is based out of Nancy Napurski’s Henrietta home.

Napurski launched the firm seven years ago. For now she has no plans to hire and instead plans to contract local industry professionals for future projects. Her current clients are located mainly in Los Angeles and come from sectors including health care, consumer products, technology and business services.

Her main client is Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Inc., based in California.

Napurski said she chose to move to Rochester because the real estate is affordable and because Western New York has become a hotbed for technology companies.

And, she said, she will appreciate the changing seasons here.

“There’s an exciting vibe to the area, and there’s no traffic,” she added.

^_^

As I was on the 1 train in Manhattan, I overheard some women talking about recent layoffs. One comment caught my attention

"...........yeah, they are moving the jobs to Buffalo and Tampa, thats where there is affordable housing and labor"

Does anyone know of a recent firm/company that either has a presence in Buffalo or has just moved to Buffalo recently?

Well, the Buffalo housing IS affordable. It's the outrageous taxes that screw it all up! ^_^

I heard the Giants are moving into town and will share the stadium with the Bills.

I thought the Lakers were moving to Buffalo. That's the rumor, anyway.

Well, the Buffalo housing IS affordable. It's the outrageous taxes that screw it all up! :blink:

Rank Buffalo taxes with downstate, and you'll be very surprised to see the definition of "outrageous."

There was a proposal to require Wall St banks to move disaster & backup facilities 200-300 miles off Manhattan. Although it never came to fruition, it is a wise thing to do, and if NYS govt is smart, they would create a low tax enterprise zone in WNY to house the back up facilities.

Rank Buffalo taxes with downstate, and you'll be very surprised to see the definition of "outrageous."

Rank them with most of the rest of the country, and "outrageous" fits. My father pays the more real estate taxes on his house than I do on mine with three times the assessed value.

Well, the Buffalo housing IS affordable. It's the outrageous taxes that screw it all up! :blink:

While the property taxes are proportionally higher, they are more than offset by the housing prices in NYC, DC, LA, etc.

While the property taxes are proportionally higher, they are more than offset by the housing prices in NYC, DC, LA, etc.

you'll also make 1/3 of the salary in WNY compared to the places you mentioned....

you'll also make 1/3 of the salary in WNY compared to the places you mentioned....

1/3 of the salary for the amount of house you get in other areas of the country is still better. A 2 bedroom apartment in a decent section of NYC (say Battery Park City or Upper West Side) runs in the $900k-$1.2M range (and then you have the property taxes AND the $600 a month building fees). That 100k salary that sounds nice in most other parts of the country suddenly doesn't seem so great.

Rank them with most of the rest of the country, and "outrageous" fits. My father pays the more real estate taxes on his house than I do on mine with three times the assessed value.

Assessed valuations are garbage. What does the house's assessment have to do with the resources the occupants of that house use from the city/county/state?

Buffalo taxes are high relative to the assessments, but in how many places in US can you buy a real house for less than $70K?

buzzy's pizza in niagara falls recently renovated the facade to allow for more seating. they probably hired a few more waitresses and maybe one of them is from nyc

Assessed valuations are garbage.

I would generally agree...except that they relate to housing costs, and relate STRONGLY to taxes. No matter how you slice it, it's still BS that my father's house sells for $150k in WNY and he pays $5k in taxes on it annually, whereas down here it would sell for $400k and he'd pay $3500 in taxes. Even if you amortize recordation and transfer taxes over the average time of ownership of a house into the annual tax costs, it's still ridiculously out of whack.

Geico.

And Bass Pro is excited about th eopportunity of coming to Buffalo.

Blue Cross or someone building a new HQ here.

Some dude named Basha Issar or something with some pretty grand designs in town. Maybe Bass Pro like though. Although he did buy the old Statler and apparently lives up on the top floor alone and isolated when he is in town.

Did this woman on the subway look like George Seifert?

Assessed valuations are garbage. What does the house's assessment have to do with the resources the occupants of that house use from the city/county/state?

Buffalo taxes are high relative to the assessments, but in how many places in US can you buy a real house for less than $70K?

The community I live in... 45 miles south of Chicago... Also... I betcha you can get something real nice in the Quad Cities for that much... Or say Peoria, Illinois?

My hourly wage is set to the scale where our district is HQ'd... That's the Quad Cities (Rock Island, Davenport, Moline, and Bettendorf)... I work in freakin' Chicago... You know what? That is a good thing because the wage scale is HIGHER in the Quad Cities than if say I worked for Chicago District... Thank you John Deere! Go figure?

Back in the early 1980's when Chicago district gave up this part of the Illinois waterway to the Rock Island district... People here actually RECEIVED MORE in lump sums to make up the diff!!

I think, though, that even with the high taxes, houses are selling for a 50% discount than they are here in the Lehigh Valley with a similar level of income.

I paid 215K for my house & I pay I think 4,400 in taxes living in Lancaster.

:thumbsup:

Damn, that's like twice what you'd pay around here

But then again those New York Blue-staters are much wiser and more sophistamacated than us Virginia Red-staters

I would generally agree...except that they relate to housing costs, and relate STRONGLY to taxes. No matter how you slice it, it's still BS that my father's house sells for $150k in WNY and he pays $5k in taxes on it annually, whereas down here it would sell for $400k and he'd pay $3500 in taxes. Even if you amortize recordation and transfer taxes over the average time of ownership of a house into the annual tax costs, it's still ridiculously out of whack.

Welcome to the death spiral. With a roughly 50% decline in the tax base, but not a commensurate drop in city/county expenses, property taxes are out of whack. And the region doesn't have enough political clout to get more welfare from downstate.

:thumbsup:

Damn, that's like twice what you'd pay around here

But then again those New York Blue-staters are much wiser and more sophistamacated than us Virginia Red-staters

215 grand will get you about a 2400 sq foot home with 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage, and a nice yard in WNY. What can you get for that in Virgina? Or in other parts of the country? Just curious....