breaking news

12thman

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

But then again, no one thought Warren Moon would be, either. Tho, I think there's other reasons why WM got it; was the 'mobile QB' prototype who was also a great passer, stats, a consideration that if the teams around him were just a little better....

For Drew, his main team won the SB(s) only after he went down and out.

I figured Moon to be a lock.

I doubt Drew will follow, though.

Admit it though, the day he flew into Buffalo as the "conquering hero" was a pretty nice moment in Bills history! I actually thought that he had "it" when he performed at that Pro Bowl level in that 8-8 year with Peerless and Eric caching EVERYTHING thrown their way. ( Josh Reed had an outstanding rookie season too!!) Then CRASH!! Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!! I wish him well also....

Admit it though, the day he flew into Buffalo as the "conquering hero" was a pretty nice moment in Bills history!

Actually I'd call it one of the very worst moments in Bills history.

That move was the termites in the sub-flooring, and once we tried to build on top of it assuming it was stable it ultimately destroyed what could have been a very competent long-lasting administration. All it accomplished was to put us right back to square one where we're once again letting good players walk because they don't fit the "system", only to fire everybody in a few more years, dump all the players we brought in who won't fit the next "system" and start it all over again.

Aye, I was never was a player for Bledsoe in the pre Buffalo stint, then got caught up in the moment when we signed and flew him into Buffalo. I got real hopeful and then bought in when he had that big season. When the whole Bledsoe Experiment crashed and burned I got totally deflated. The icing on the cake though was when the game was on the line against the Raiders and he threw the ball away on 4th and whatever thinking that it was 3rd down.

I figured Moon to be a lock.

I doubt Drew will follow, though.

He likely won't make it in on the first ballot because he is going out on a low note after getting beaten out of the job by Romo, but I think he get in the HOF if only because in 5 years when he is eligible we will be going through a lengthy streak of no QBs having been elected to the Hall as players (if you disagree then name who those folks who will get in will be Vinny Testaverde?).

The HoF like it or not is simply a popularity contest which is based in but not controlled by stats. It also is a competitive popularity contest and most likely one of the big factors for him will be that voters will be almost certain to end any QB drought a year after Bledsoe's 1st year of eligibility as it is likely the Brett Favre will be eligible a year after Bledsoe.

If anyone wants to seriously gauge whether he gets in then a key thing to do is think about what other players retired after last season and they will be the primary competition Bledsoe will face for selection (election) to the Hall.

The HoF like it or not is simply a popularity contest which is based in but not controlled by stats. It also is a competitive popularity contest and most likely one of the big factors for him will be that voters will be almost certain to end any QB drought a year after Bledsoe's 1st year of eligibility as it is likely the Brett Favre will be eligible a year after Bledsoe.

I know what you mean, and I am not a Bledsoe hater at all. I know the NFL Hall O Fame is a little easier to get into than MLB's, but there are just certain guys, for whatever reason, have a hard time getting in, just based on lasting images.

Andre Reed didn't get in this year (will he be the one stalwart figure from the Bills Super Bowl era to pay the price for the teams failures?), Art Monk took forever to get in.

Bledose finishes 7th all time passing (44,000 yards) and 12th in TD passes (251- numbers which will be surpassed by a few within 5 years). The lasting image of Bledsoe, particularly in this age, where there is non-stop coverage of the NFL, is that Bledsoe is an underachiever, and a "loser" in the truest sports sense of the word.

He was a the undisputed franchise QB in New England, and lost his job to a much more successful "no-name QB" in Tom Brady...he is shipped off to Buffalo, by the "genius" Bellechik, where he is greeted as a franchise savior...only lose his job to a guy who has taken less than 10 snaps in his NFL career, with no on-field competition, because the Buffalo franchise, like New England before them, realizes they can't anything with him. So, he is uncerimoniously dumped by Buffalo, and reunites with the legendary coach who braught him into the NFL, on one of the highest profile, most storied franchises in sports. He flops, and is benched, again, for a "no-name QB"....and again, uncerimoniously dumped. Not a stellar resume...

You may be right, about the shortage of HOF calliber QB's in the coming 5 years, playing a factor in his induction, but I don't think so. The HOF voters will be younger in 5 years too...they are from an era that accentuates the negative as much as the positive. Bledsoes' good-guy image may not be enough to overcome the image of failure that most of the second half of his career has been. And I am a Bledsoe fan!

Drew was truly a great role model and stand up guy which I think few will disagree with. On field, he was just such an enigma. There were days when he was utterly unstoppable and you'd walk away from the game thinking you'd just seen the greatest QB to ever take the field. And there were days when he was absolutely terrible. Unfortunately after the '02 season, the later was much more prominent.

For those who say it was a dark day in Bills history when he arrived, I totally disagree. We were 3-13 in '01 and this team was as painful to watch as in the 2-14 years. Bledsoe came in, in '02 and took an offense that was predominantly made up of the same guys from '01 and turned it into a juggernaut, the likes of the early 90's Bills seemingly overnight. Game 2 at Minnesota to this day was one of the most thrilling games I've ever seen this team play, and Bledsoe threw for 463 yds. and 3 TD's/0 INT's... we put up 45 points in that game! It would've taken the '01 Bills 5 games to score 45 points... and I'll lay good odds that Bledsoe's 463 yds. in a game will be a franchise record that stands for a LONG time.

That's the enigma that was Bledsoe. When he played with that fire and chip on his shoulder he could tear a defense apart and hurt you in every way imagineable. The guy could throw the ball 80 yds. down field against the wind and put it on a dime... it was phenomenal to see. But he could turn around and hurt his own team just as bad the following week.

While he never accomplished ultimate success, Drew Bledsoe's name will have a place in NFL record books and Bills' franchise record books for years to come, and he was a stand up guy to boot. While consistency wasn't his strong suit, very very few QB's had the ability to dominate a game the way Bledsoe did on many occassions throughout his career. He probably won't get into the Hall, especially as years go by and voters get younger, but for those of us who had the pleasure of watching him from the time he came into the league and especially that '02 season, we'll always remember him as a guy who, on any given Sunday, could be the most magnificent QB you've ever seen take the field.

I wish him well and am proud of the time he spent as a Bill.

I detest the Pats and everything about them. I hated the Bledsoe trade and was happy when he left Buffalo as the underachieving-overpaid-arrogant-egotistical-team captain and took all his remaining unrealized-potential, over-the-hill-talents to Dallas and Jerry Jones who really thought they had a player. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :fyou: :fyouse&yours:

Now he gets to throw away all his Dallas jerseys, caps and jackets and buy his kids some new stuff from AARP.

This isnt for the people that hate him, does anyone think hes a hall of fame player?

I never hated Bledsoe, but his time in Buffalo was very dissapppointing. He just never made many plays. I can think of several games especially on the road (Kansas City on a Sunday night, Dallas) that he was just god awful. He also never accepted the blame for the offenses poor performance. I was so happy when we let him go.

It is laughable to even mention his name in the same breath with "hall of fame".

Drew was truly a great role model and stand up guy which I think few will disagree with. On field, he was just such an enigma. There were days when he was utterly unstoppable and you'd walk away from the game thinking you'd just seen the greatest QB to ever take the field. And there were days when he was absolutely terrible. Unfortunately after the '02 season, the later was much more prominent.

For those who say it was a dark day in Bills history when he arrived, I totally disagree. We were 3-13 in '01 and this team was as painful to watch as in the 2-14 years. Bledsoe came in, in '02 and took an offense that was predominantly made up of the same guys from '01 and turned it into a juggernaut, the likes of the early 90's Bills seemingly overnight. Game 2 at Minnesota to this day was one of the most thrilling games I've ever seen this team play, and Bledsoe threw for 463 yds. and 3 TD's/0 INT's... we put up 45 points in that game! It would've taken the '01 Bills 5 games to score 45 points... and I'll lay good odds that Bledsoe's 463 yds. in a game will be a franchise record that stands for a LONG time.

That's the enigma that was Bledsoe. When he played with that fire and chip on his shoulder he could tear a defense apart and hurt you in every way imagineable. The guy could throw the ball 80 yds. down field against the wind and put it on a dime... it was phenomenal to see. But he could turn around and hurt his own team just as bad the following week.

While he never accomplished ultimate success, Drew Bledsoe's name will have a place in NFL record books and Bills' franchise record books for years to come, and he was a stand up guy to boot. While consistency wasn't his strong suit, very very few QB's had the ability to dominate a game the way Bledsoe did on many occassions throughout his career. He probably won't get into the Hall, especially as years go by and voters get younger, but for those of us who had the pleasure of watching him from the time he came into the league and especially that '02 season, we'll always remember him as a guy who, on any given Sunday, could be the most magnificent QB you've ever seen take the field.

I wish him well and am proud of the time he spent as a Bill.

Great post. I think that Drew had taken too many hits by the time we got him, yet he was still a guy who at times could make throws that only a few who ever played the game were capable of.

If he hung around, he might have been able to pad his already very impressive stats to the Hall of Fame, but he is probably better off calling it quits than risking further injury.

Congratulations to Drew Bledsoe on a very good career. Not everyone can move like John Elway, but he had a very good arm, and was a quality starter in the NFL.

Best Wishes and enjoy spending your millions at a relatively early age.