Rub dirt on it and take a lap... Part 2

rockpile

A summary from January (edited only for brevity):

Last Monday when I got to work, I was called in to see my supervisor. Turns out that to ring in the new year, corporate decided to shed a few pounds. So my department of eight is now a department of two, and I am no longer employed.

I am in no immediate need, which means I am blessed. But, for the first time in almost 27 years with the same company, I got up in the morning on a work day and had no place to go.

"You load sixteen tons, and what do you get?

Another day older and deeper in debt.

Saint Peter, don't you call me, 'cause I can't go;

I owe my soul to the company store... "

Merle Travis

Well.....

I have been very busy since January 15th:

created a resume

revised it 25 times

sent it to friends to rip it apart and return with friendly advice

revised it 25 more times

created a web page

never felt sorry for myself

attended one job fair

signed up with three recruiters

tried to keep a positive attitude (sometimes wore an eminence front)

read everything I could get my hands on (looking for work has changed a bit since 1980)

networked

blogged

kept the negative vibes at bay

signed up for unemployment

practiced living on an austerity budget

got one interview with a globally recognized corporation

got called back for a second interview

asked the right questions

gave the right answers

left the interview knowing if it was right they would call

they did

received an offer today

accepted the offer verbally pending documentation

took a reasonable pay cut (I was WAY overpaid at the old job)

On April 9th, I start my career over.

It is exciting.

I am a professional again.

I am scared shitless!

(drum roll please)

Rockpile: Quality Systems Engineer

for "a diversified technology company that concentrates its efforts on high-impact growth opportunities"

woo :worthy:

bring it!

You know, I couldn't be happier for you. And I understand your being scared schitless. For all the years I spent in theater auditioning for roles, the one thing I never got used to was winning a role, getting excited, and then suddenly thinking "Holy crap. I actually have to perform now."

You'll be fine, Rock. Karma doesn't !@#$ with good people.

Way to go Rock, back in the saddle again!

Didn't you also take a fancy schmancy vacation somewhere in there?

No. I took two! :worthy:

One was already prepaid - a week in Puerto Vallarta, MX.

The other was a weekend trip to CT, and we stayed with my daughter, Babyrock.

The nice thing is that I banked all my unemployment, and did not use all my severance!

Thanks, "Mahk". :worthy:

I was an actor too! Before every interview, I took a deep breath and said, "It's show time!"

They said I interview well. <_<

You know, I couldn't be happier for you. And I understand your being scared schitless. For all the years I spent in theater auditioning for roles, the one thing I never got used to was winning a role, getting excited, and then suddenly thinking "Holy crap. I actually have to perform now."

You'll be fine, Rock. Karma doesn't !@#$ with good people.

Congrats Rock ! So what is your new career if you don't mind sharing ?

Quality Systems Engineer:

Make sure processes exist, are used, are adequate, and controlled and maintained on a master electronic library.

Plan, schedule, perform ISO 9000 audits.

Conduct training classes.

Track defects and find out why a product was returned.

Lead product and process teams.

Project management.

Someone else does the engineering part, I just bring people on board the "crazy train".

The nice thing is that I get to start over with a clean slate at an entirely new company. I start at the "old" company on April 6, 1980, taking warehouse orders, and worked into professional responsibilities. Some of the "teeny little minds" who were managers, could never get past the image of "that long haired guy unloading trucks" out of their heads, when I was putting multi-million dollar proposals for service logistics on the table a decade later. ;)

I have been very busy since January 15th:

created a resume

revised it 25 times

sent it to friends to rip it apart and return with friendly advice

revised it 25 more times

created a web page

never felt sorry for myself

attended one job fair

signed up with three recruiters

tried to keep a positive attitude (sometimes wore an eminence front)

read everything I could get my hands on (looking for work has changed a bit since 1980)

networked

blogged

kept the negative vibes at bay

signed up for unemployment

practiced living on an austerity budget

got one interview with a globally recognized corporation

got called back for a second interview

asked the right questions

gave the right answers

left the interview knowing if it was right they would call

they did

received an offer today

accepted the offer verbally pending documentation

took a reasonable pay cut (I was WAY overpaid at the old job)

I feel sorry for the company that hired you, because it looks like they hired a liar. Nowhere in that list does it say you sat around on the couch in your underwear drinking beer watching Jerry Springer. :thumbdown:

Congrats Rocky! Welcome back to the world of the employed!

Congrats, Pyle. Best of luck to you.

I'm right behind you (don't worry I have my pants on) in the world of the gainfully employed (I think).

The question is: does The Dean take the big $$/big prestige job (if he gets it) or does he take a job that will pay WAY WAY less and, perhaps, make him happier? Even The Dean doesn't know what The Dean will do.

Quality Systems Engineer:

Make sure processes exist, are used, are adequate, and controlled and maintained on a master electronic library.

Plan, schedule, perform ISO 9000 audits.

Conduct training classes.

Track defects and find out why a product was returned.

Lead product and process teams.

Project management.

Someone else does the engineering part, I just bring people on board the "crazy train".

The nice thing is that I get to start over with a clean slate at an entirely new company. I start at the "old" company on April 6, 1980, taking warehouse orders, and worked into professional responsibilities. Some of the "teeny little minds" who were managers, could never get past the image of "that long haired guy unloading trucks" out of their heads, when I was putting multi-million dollar proposals for service logistics on the table a decade later. :thumbdown:

Cool ! Good for you Rock !

I'm right behind you (don't worry I have my pants on) in the world of the gainfully employed (I think).

The question is: does The Dean take the big $$/big prestige job (if he gets it) or does he take a job that will pay WAY WAY less and, perhaps, make him happier? Even The Dean doesn't know what The Dean will do.

From past experience ! Money is cold comfort if you hate your job. Always take the job you'll love and be happy at ! You'll thrive and be far more successful that way anyways !

If you can live on the lesser paying job, the happiness from said job is worth more than the stress of the higher paying job.

Sharing illegal substances, wearing pants...you're just chock full of surprises tonight, aren't you?

Sharing illegal substances, wearing pants...you're just chock full of surprises tonight, aren't you?

I'm not wearing pants now...if that helps you at all.

If you are comfortable financially with the job that would make you happier, is there really a debate?

If you are comfortable financially with the job that would make you happier, is there really a debate?

I have MAJOR debt issues. I will be able to repay (and, perhaps save) with the big job. I can live OK with the other job, but the repayments will be slow and forget savings. I'll figure it out.

I shouldn't have infested your nice thread with my baggage.

April 9th is a good starting date. On 4/9 I will celebrate 28 years in the cable industry.

My condolences to you and your family; nobody should have to endure 28 days, let alone 28 years, of the cable company. :nana::nana:

(come on, like you didn't see that coming from me?! :lol: ).

I have MAJOR debt issues. I will be able to repay (and, perhaps save) with the big job. I can live OK with the other job, but the repayments will be slow and forget savings. I'll figure it out.

You said "possibly make you happier." If you're not sure, I'd take the big money job, if offered. You can always quit later and take the "happy job." Either that, or be a contributor for FHM magazine :nana:

Take the big job, get back on your financial feet and move on.

Whose thread should you have infested? It was a good question.

Congrats Rockpile. Only 26 weeks of work, and then you can get back on the dole again!

I will be on the payroll of a third party recruiter for the first 6-8 months. After that, I will either extend the contract, or negotiate a full time job with the corporation I am actually working for. Their intent and need is for a full timer or three, but it is a smart business move to hire by contract.

If I do not renew the contract, I will go back on unemployment for as brief a time as I can. I will be eligible for the balance of my first 26 weeks I did not use if that happens.

Heck, I may not like them and let and tell them not to bother giving me an offer!

Life is about change. I will worry about that when I have to.

Since 1973, I have been on the dole a total maybe eight weeks. I can support myself. ;)