Another RB might be available in the trade market

ganesh

From the CNN/SI Truth & Rumors section

The Cowboys aren't exactly shopping Julius Jones, but they've told teams that have inquired about him that he's for sale for the right price. Cowboys owner-GM Jerry Jones apparently is prepared to hitch his wagon to the team's other young running back, Marion Barber.

-- Philadelphia Daily News

It would be an irony if Jones lands here, the draft pick we gave up to get Losman in the same backfield as JP.

From the CNN/SI Truth & Rumors section

The Cowboys aren't exactly shopping Julius Jones, but they've told teams that have inquired about him that he's for sale for the right price. Cowboys owner-GM Jerry Jones apparently is prepared to hitch his wagon to the team's other young running back, Marion Barber.

-- Philadelphia Daily News

It would be an irony if Jones lands here, the draft pick we gave up to get Losman in the same backfield as JP.

Might be a nice pickup. It just depends if this is coming from the truth section or the rumor section.

he's a solid back, can run and catch; has speed. I would probably be willing to give up one of our 3rds for him. Would be a cheap and reliable solution, though not a complete answer to the rb need. I'd still look to draft a back in rounds 2-4 to push him and share the load.

Yeah, but what does JJ want for him is the question. A second day pick this year and maybe a variable pick next year depending on how well he does and I'd be all about it. I don't think he is worth higher than a 4th rounder...maybe barely a 3rd

in 3 seasons he's only rushed for 1000 yards once and that was last year, but he is a decent RB and if he's paired up with a decent power back it would be a nice one-two punch out of the backfield. His hands don't seem to be the best, or maybe he just never got any balls thrown at him last year with ony 9 receptions. However, with 15.4 ypc he looks like a threat that would have been used more often. I dont know I dont follow the cowgirls very closely.

One plus for him is he is cheap and signed through 2009.

His salary for the next 3 seasons from NFLPA.com is as follows:

2007 510000.00

2008 545000.00

2009 545000.00

Not a bad price.

With our options at veteran RBs wearing thin, this might not be a bad idea for the right bargain

Man....tough crowd when it comes to running backs....

I think some people are going to be very dissapointed. They cant all be LT

Parcells loved him coming out of college and did everything he could to hand him the starting job, but he consistently let him down with his non-physical running style, and eventually lost his job to a RB with far fewer natural skills but more heart. Sorry to say it, the NFL is a fickle, harsh league and RBs who don't like contact don't last long.

I'll take a soft injury prone RB who puts up 1,000 yards at 1/2 a million a year for the next 3 years, then Brown, an unproven backup injury prone RB at probably a minimum of $1 mil a season

Agreed, Jones has shown to be more durable then Chris Brown thus far in their young careers and a better all around threat. I'd gladly give up our 3rd (but prefer give up Baltimore's) for him.

Agreed, Jones has shown to be more durable then Chris Brown thus far in their young careers and a better all around threat. I'd gladly give up our 3rd (but prefer give up Baltimore's) for him.

Yep. For Baltimore's 3rd JJ would be a steal. For our 3rd it's merely good, which would be plenty enough. Teamed with A-Train we'd move the pile. I'd do it.

Yep. For Baltimore's 3rd JJ would be a steal. For our 3rd it's merely good, which would be plenty enough. Teamed with A-Train we'd move the pile. I'd do it.

I would start by offering a 5th rounder to low ball 'em then not give up anything better than a 4th rounder for J. Jones.

Then I would see what it would take to sign Nick Harper to a FA contract.

Then I would take Okoye at #12 ( or Branch if he were still available).

Package our #2 and #3 to move into the late 1st and snag Patrick Willis.

That finishes filling 4 major holes.

Then take the best available FB in 3rd with the Ravens pick.

Then....geez...I don't know...I would just call it a day and wait for Super Bowl weekend !!!!

Excellent answer. :worthy:

Why? He's athletic and a great speed back.

Him for long yardage, A-Train for close, great 1-2

the guy gets stuck at the line of scrimmage way too much, he has a nice run here and there but for the most part is too inconsistant and always seems to be taken down by the first guy...he was also given the chance every game to carry the load but he could never keep Barber on the bench and ended up not getting any 4th quarter carries

is that the guy you want on this team...I dont

I like Jones (he and his brother are from Big Stone Gap, pretty near here). However I think he's got some hard mileage on him, and I think we're better off looking for someone in the second or even third round of the draft and go with A-Train and the new guy for next year at least. The new offensive line is something I'm big on.

Draft? Okoye or Branch at 12

Irons or Pittman in the 2d

Durant (the linebacker out of Hampton) in the third

the guy gets stuck at the line of scrimmage way too much, he has a nice run here and there but for the most part is too inconsistant and always seems to be taken down by the first guy...he was also given the chance every game to carry the load but he could never keep Barber on the bench and ended up not getting any 4th quarter carries

is that the guy you want on this team...I dont

Like I've said before, Jauron is looking to platoon the rb position this season. Meaning, we dont need a single back to carry the load. We want the ability to plug and play our backs with the situation. We don't need a workhorse who is going to carry the ball 30 times himself, that is not what Jauron and fairchild have in mind.

At the right price, I would bring him in.

I agree for the right price. He has talent, he just seems to get nicked up. He was never really a Parcells guy, which is why Barber was in the mix. If our choices were to sign Brown or Jones, I'd go with Jones and use a later pick to draft a RB.

didn't we just trade julious jones away i mean willis mcgahee away. I think in comparison there both alike.

After 63 posts, I finally agree with you! If people around here questioned McGahee's "desire", they won't like Julius Jones either. He has slightly more speed than Willis ("breakaway speed" anyone?), but he just doesn't make plays when his teams need him to most. In that regards, he is eerily similar to Willis McGahee...I wouldn't give up anything more than a 4th round pick for Julius Jones.

I like Jones (he and his brother are from Big Stone Gap, pretty near here). However I think he's got some hard mileage on him, and I think we're better off looking for someone in the second or even third round of the draft and go with A-Train and the new guy for next year at least. The new offensive line is something I'm big on.

Draft? Okoye or Branch at 12

Irons or Pittman in the 2d

Durant (the linebacker out of Hampton) in the third

A good post. If you're going to use a first day pick on a RB, you may as well get a fresh rookie with some potential, instead of a high mileage reject from some other team. That's why I'd rather take Irons in the second than trade away a 3rd for a Band-Aid solution like Jones.

Parcells loved him coming out of college and did everything he could to hand him the starting job, but he consistently let him down with his non-physical running style, and eventually lost his job to a RB with far fewer natural skills but more heart. Sorry to say it, the NFL is a fickle, harsh league and RBs who don't like contact don't last long.

Except Jones never lost his job. He started every game last year for the Cowboys and had twice as many carries as Barber. Jones is an okay back (better than anybody currently on the Bills roster or available in FA) and if he didn't cost much in terms of a draft pick he'd be worth taking a look at. As a previous poster stated, I'm not sure what everybody is looking for but the Bills aren't getting LT in the backfield. The closest they could come is if they could land Turner from SD and hope he blossoms into a stud.

Eh....I dont know what they want for him, but im guessing its too much. They are probably looking for WM/TJ type of a trade. I'd give up a 4th rounder for him, and possibly next years 3rd rounder, but thats about it. Unless we get turner for our #2, I'd rather just adress this issue in the draft