I just had my wisdom teeth out...

IBTG81

i just got that directive on tuesday from my dentist...of course I got the same directive 15 years ago and chickened out then, don't think I can escape it this time :doh::lol:

I had them out at 11:30. I didn't go under general anesthesia, just novocaine.

I'm still bleeding, which sucks, because i want to go to sleep. I have some pain, but not unbearable (yet).

789389[/snapback]

Yeah, I heard that on the radio this morning. Really sad.

I had a boss who lost a son when he couldn't be revived after a tonsillectomy. That happened about twenty years ago.

You just don't think these things could happen...especially to children.

I didn’t know general anesthesia was an option for wisdom teeth extraction.  I had mine out 20 years ago in the am and was back to work that afternoon.  The worst part about it was the healing and the nasty sewer like taste.

789400[/snapback]

Very little wisdom, therefore no need for anesthesia, they really gave him a couple of childrens aspirin.

I didn’t know general anesthesia was an option for wisdom teeth extraction.  I had mine out 20 years ago in the am and was back to work that afternoon.  The worst part about it was the healing and the nasty sewer like taste.

789400[/snapback]

It's very common (at least around here).

They were kind of surprised when i said that i didn't want to go fully under.

The novocaine wore off. My mouth hurts a little bit, and I'm still bleeding. It wasn't so bad knock on wood).

Something about a grown man who's mouth is swollen and packed with cotton, climbing into a Hinda Fit and driving home, makes me smile.  :doh:

789487[/snapback]

I'll give you the grown man and cotton part, but I'm not swollen, and I drive a Honda, not a Hinda.

I had two inpacted wisdom teeth and had all 4 pulled out. They had to cut bone for the impacted ones and I had the geneal anesthetic. First thing I remember after is telling my father I could drive home, because I've been drunker than that. He was laughing his ass off.

Was laid up for a week after that.

hey, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the first day is a breeze. It's day 2-5,6,7 that's the bit--. I had my wisdom teeth out about 5 years ago. i had the full anesthesia, for a good reason. they had to break my lower jaw to get the bottoms out. After i came out of the general, i was fine... groggy, but fine. first night, i ate a normal meal... curried chicken and something. It was the next morning that was a problem. If your mouth heels like mine, there'll be sharp, unbearable pain for a few days while you try to eat or open wide... gradually it will be replaced with a dull persistant uncomfortable pain that will last for a week or so...

the best part is when the stitches pop off.... then its like letting go of a mighty taco fart after the hot chick leaves the elevator. the relief is great, and once it's done, its done for good.

hey, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the first day is a breeze.  It's day 2-5,6,7 that's the bit--.  I had my wisdom teeth out about 5 years ago.  i had the full anesthesia, for a good reason.  they had to break my lower jaw to get the bottoms out.  After i came out of the general, i was fine...  groggy, but fine.  first night, i ate a normal meal...  curried chicken and something.  It was the next morning that was a problem.  If your mouth heels like mine, there'll be sharp, unbearable pain for a few days while you try to eat or open wide...  gradually it will be replaced with a dull persistant uncomfortable pain that will last for a week or so... 

the best part is when the stitches pop off....  then its like letting go of a mighty taco fart after the hot chick leaves the elevator.  the relief is great, and once it's done, its done for good.

789549[/snapback]

Does it hurt worse than a 85 MPH slap shot to the face? :doh:

So far, so good. I don't have stitches. It literally took the oral surgeon one minute per tooth.

The pain is more of an annoyance. i haven't taken anything yet. the only annoying thing is I'm still bleeding, which he said I might all night! :doh:

Corp, everyone I've asked has said day 1 is the worst. Maybe yours was so bad because they had to break your jaw?

I'm still bleeding, which sucks, because i want to go to sleep. I have some pain, but not unbearable (yet).

789389[/snapback]

Sounds just like mine, did you get both sides done? I was suprised to hear they put so many under. All you feel is some pressure, past that I didn't even know when it came out.

Sounds just like mine, did you get both sides done? I was suprised to hear they put so many under. All you feel is some pressure, past that I didn't even know when it came out.

789591[/snapback]

I was under for 90 minutes when I had mine out. Of course, they had to cut them into pieces with some sort of miniature rotary saw...

But I barely knew. Sodium pentathol is great stuff. I don't recall much pain afterwards, either.

I was under for 90 minutes when I had mine out.  Of course, they had to cut them into pieces with some sort of miniature rotary saw... 

But I barely knew.  Sodium pentathol is great stuff.  I don't recall much pain afterwards, either.

789593[/snapback]

Ouch, my Dentist was really on the ball. He took so many x-rays he started to see a trend in my wisdom teeth and knew that they would eventually be a problem. At first the first sign I got them pulled. I hear if they grow to long the removal can get pretty ugly. Way to go Dr. Miller.

Ouch, my Dentist was really on the ball. He took so many x-rays he started to see a trend in my wisdom teeth and knew that they would eventually be a problem. At first the first sign I got them pulled. I hear if they grow to long the removal can get pretty ugly. Way to go Dr. Miller.

789610[/snapback]

Yep. Most people I know that have had their wisdom teeth out after the age of 30 have needed it done as an inpatient procedure, with an overnight hospital stay. :doh: I had mine out when I was 18, because the lower ones were obviously going to be trouble (and those ended up being the ones they had to chop up)...and had the upper ones taken out at the same time, to avoid further problems.

My brother had his out at 14, when they were barely developed, because one of them was coming in under a nerve, and eventually would have cut the nerve and paralysed his jaw. THAT was some serious surgery...removing under-developed teeth deep in the gum tissue. :lol:

Had mine out at 19 in Okinawa. Japanese laws prevented general for dental work so I was on a mix of drug. One of which was fentinal. I don't remember the others but there were three.

All four at once. And unlike Tom, the basically used a hammer and chisel to break them into pieces that they then took out. It was pretty damn painful. Needless to say I had huge holes in the back of my mouth for literally 2 years. They got infected after about three days and had to go to the emerancy room to have them drained and an antibitic basically pumped into the tooth area.

Mine were coming in sideways, and I would need them out by the time I turned 18 my dentist said. Didn't have them done till I was almost 35. They put me under, and I don't recall anything except waking up on a cot in his office. Had the rest of the day off from work, went in the next day and everyone was amazed I was there.

So far, so good. I don't have stitches. It literally took the oral surgeon one minute per tooth.

The pain is more of an annoyance. i haven't taken anything yet. the only annoying thing is I'm still bleeding, which he said I might all night!  :doh:

Corp, everyone I've asked has said day 1 is the worst. Maybe yours was so bad because they had to break your jaw?

789570[/snapback]

i was told that the pain meds for the surgery would last for most of the day, and due to my grogginess, the pain really wouldn't be bad till day 2. I guess since yours seemed to be a more minor procedure than mine and others described, your pain hopefully won't last too long. good luck!

Yep.  Most people I know that have had their wisdom teeth out after the age of 30 have needed it done as an inpatient procedure, with an overnight hospital stay.  <_<  I had mine out when I was 18, because the lower ones were obviously going to be trouble (and those ended up being the ones they had to chop up)...and had the upper ones taken out at the same time, to avoid further problems. 

My brother had his out at 14, when they were barely developed, because one of them was coming in under a nerve, and eventually would have cut the nerve and paralysed his jaw.  THAT was some serious surgery...removing under-developed teeth deep in the gum tissue.  :lol:

789619[/snapback]

The hospital! What is it?

The hospital! What is it?

790176[/snapback]

It's a big place with lots of sick people. But that's not important right now.

But you never said it.....

Rumack: You'd better tell the Captain we've got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.

Elaine Dickinson: A hospital? What is it?

Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

More information, please.

789389[/snapback]