My take: The good and the bad

Acantha

Sorry for the Pyrite type post...feel free to move along and not read my rambling, just thinking things out as I type. There are certainly more things to bring up, but this is what stuck out to me.

The Bad

1. Let start with the fake FG. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who screams at trick plays when they go wrong and lauds them when they work. I believe even failed trick plays can be worth running, if for nothing else than to keep the defense guessing. What I didn't like here was that our defense had played played very well on the previous series, and we had the chance to pin the Jets very deep and force them to play out of a hole. It would have even been possible to let Lindell try his luck, but with swirling winds a 53 yarder is very tough. I think I understand the coaches thinking here, as they may have felt that continuing that drive and getting more points was very important while they were playing with the wind. That said, I think it was a bad decision. I hate to say that our coaches shouldn't play to win at all times, but they MUST take in to account that our team is very young and need advantages, not trickery.

2. Anthony Thomas only had 1 run? I don't get this. Was he hurt? Maybe there is something here I don't know, but our O-line was opening holes. McGahee was making great moves and running hard, but it wasn't all him. I really think we could have run the ball more, especially in the 2nd and third quarter, if Thomas had come in a little more often. Not too much mind you, I don't think McGahee should come out of the game that much, but around 7-8 running plays a game from our backup should be pretty standard. This isn't a huge negative IMO, just something that caught my eye. BTW, I must say that maybe McGahee coming out inside the 5 might not be a bad idea. I won't put all the blame on him, as the O-line can't handle it when the defense stacks the line, but McGahee just seems to have no nose for the endzone anymore.

3. I don't agree with people that Losman only needs to be a manager. He seems to be very capable of keeping the Bills in the game and making great throws. The problem comes when he is put into a situation to win the game with his arm. He made some really bad throws trying to bring the Bills from behind. Two horrible throws in a row on that last drive (wind played a part in those I know), an interception toss and a couple of more that could have been picked. This is what I expected from him, so I'm not shocked by what I saw, but it doesn't make it easy to watch. Fortunately I think JP's problems are all very fixable and will fade with time. On a side note, while I don't put all (or even most) of the blame on Losman for the fumbles, he MUST learn to feel the pressure and protect the ball when the blitz comes. Sometimes you just have to take the sack...it's that simple. PROTECT THE BALL!

4. Defensive adjustments. There were none. We got picked apart by Pennington and didn't seem to change strategy. Once it was clear that our 4 down linemen weren't getting any pressure, the blitzes should have started. Again, I understand the coaches thinking here. It's hard to blitz Pennington because he is composed in the face of rushes and throws accurate short passes. But you know what? So does Brady, and the blitzes flustered him into making mistakes. No matter how good the QB is, if you sit back and give him time he will complete his passes, no matter how many guys you leave back in coverage. There are always holes. When somethings not working, you have to try other things, and I didn't see that today.

5. SOMEONE...ANYONE....START GRABBING THE DAMN RED FLAG OUT OF JARUONS POCKET AND THROWING IT ON THE FIELD WHEN IT NEEDS TO BE DONE. Seriously, what the hell is the deal with this. A few times is one thing, but there is some serious problems here. There were at least two calls today that were almost guaranteed to be turned over if he challenged them. Why not do it? I don't get it.

The Good(and not so bad)

1. As stated above, mistakes aside Losman looked so much better. He has looked better in each game so far, and compared to last year there really is no comparison. He is poised in the pocket, only runs when he has to, and never stops looking down field. With some more game time experience, I really feel that he is going to be a good QB in this league. It is taking some time, longer than I had hoped for, but I like what I see.

2. On a reverse note from what I said above about trick plays, going for it on 4th down, etc...I like that Jauron and Fairchild are willing to make the tough calls, even if they don't work. I know that's contradictive, but while I think they need to play a bit more conservative on offense right now, I like knowing that when this team grows up and can compete more readily with the rest of the league, they won't be ultra conservative and scared to make the calls that are needed to win games. And for those speaking against it, I didn't mind the bootleg play. Hell, it's just as good as any other call there, and it was stopped by 1 foot. It was that close to being a TD. It's not like we already don't have a history of getting stuffed when we only need a yard or two.

3. The O-line did a good job today overall. Yes, they blew assignments on blitzed, but they made some great plays too. Willis had holes to run though and wasn't forced to run into linemen to get 3 yards. And as bad as the pass protection seemed to be, I can't help but find positives there too. I have a rough time watching O-line play on passing downs (I follow the ball), but I do know that there were MANY times I saw blitzes coming and was screaming at Losman for holding the ball too long, but then realized he had some time. The need to play better, no doubt, but I will give them the props they earned. On another side note, I don't know weather to like the fact that JP trusts his line enough to hold the ball those extra seconds, or freak out because he holds it so damn long.

4. One of the most important things....THEY DIDN'T QUIT. Hell, I know I did. When the Jets scored that last TD, I thought that was it. So did half the stadium apparently (way to go guys...you know who you are), but luckily the team kept trying. JP made great throws against the prevent defense (expected, but nice to see expected things actually happen), and ran for a TD when it was most needed. Bobby April once again showed why he is so important to this team, and the youngsters showed will give it there all no matter what's going on.

Overall opinion? I hated watching this game, but realize this is exactly what I expected for all the right reasons. The mistakes that were mostly not talent problems, they were youth problems. It can't be said enough times that Buffalo has 5 rookies getting plenty of playing time on defense. It seems to have become just another statement around here, but it really is crazy when you think about it. But that doesn't stop them from playing their butts off and giving it their all. It may make me a homer, but I truly believe this team is headed in exactly the right direction.

Sorry for the Pyrite type post...feel free to move along and not read my rambling, just thinking things out as I type.  There are certainly more things to bring up, but this is what stuck out to me.

The Bad

1. Let start with the fake FG.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who screams at trick plays when they go wrong and lauds them when they work.  I believe even failed trick plays can be worth running, if for nothing else than to keep the defense guessing.  What I didn't like here was that our defense had played played very well on the previous series, and we had the chance to pin the Jets very deep and force them to play out of a hole.  It would have even been possible to let Lindell try his luck, but with swirling winds a 53 yarder is very tough.  I think I understand the coaches thinking here, as they may have felt that continuing that drive and getting more points was very important while they were playing with the wind.  That said, I think it was a bad decision.  I hate to say that our coaches shouldn't play to win at all times, but they MUST take in to account that our team is very young and need advantages, not trickery.

784959[/snapback]

I disagree. There were basically four options at the time:

1) FG try.

2) Go for it.

3) Punt

4) Fake FG or punt.

Given the field position (Jets 35), down-and-distance (4th and 3), and conditions (in a word, sh-------), a FG try was very iffy, and you'd be giving the Jets 7 extra yards if you miss. A punt...probably ends up a touchback, at the 20, and you gain a whole 15 yards. So you go for it, either straight up or with some chicanery. Three yards is a bit dicey for a straight-up run up the middle or even a short pass; it's a matter of opinion, but mine personally is: try the trick play.

And as trick plays go, the fake FG was pretty well designed, with Moorman actually bringing the ball down before pitching it to Peters. The real problem was, it was an ugly-ass shovel pass and Peters didn't catch it. :lol: I've seen better trick plays, certainly, but that was no Mickey Mouse fake end-around bull sh-- reverse !@#$tard halfback option screen pass.

Sorry for the Pyrite type post.

The Bad

1. Let start with the fake FG.  .  What I didn't like here was that our defense had played played very well on the previous series, and we had the chance to pin the Jets very deep and force them to play out of a hole. 

2.  Anthony Thomas only had 1 run?

3. PROTECT THE BALL!

4. Defensive adjustments.  There were none.

5.  SOMEONE...ANYONE....START GRABBING THE DAMN RED FLAG OUT OF JARUONS POCKET AND THROWING IT ON THE FIELD WHEN IT NEEDS TO BE DONE. 

The Good(and not so bad)

1. As stated above, mistakes aside Losman looked so much better.  He has looked better in each game so far, and compared to last year there really is no comparison. 

2. I like that Jauron and Fairchild are willing to make the tough calls, even if they don't work. 

3.  The O-line did a good job today overall. 

4. One of the most important things....THEY DIDN'T QUIT. 

Overall opinion?  I hated watching this game, but realize this is exactly what I expected for all the right reasons. 

784959[/snapback]

Thanks Faustus. Long posts are read, particularly by those unable to attend games, or by me anyway.

I disagree.  There were basically four options at the time:

784970[/snapback]

Yeah I know. Like I said, I understand why they made the call, I just personally didn't agree this time. I also don't agree that a punt would have ended up in the endzone. Moorman has more talent at his position than almost anyone on this team (Spikes getting the nod), and while a touchback was possible, I think he punts it out of bounds inside the 10.

My opinion was that it was a terrificly designed play. And not a bad place to try it at all. Peters tripped AND Moorman blew the shovel pass. It was an easy first down pick up if just executed correctly, which wasn't that hard as it wasn't like it took a lot of trickery. And it likely would have gone for 20 yards.

Overall opinion?  I hated watching this game, but realize this is exactly what I expected for all the right reasons.  The mistakes that were mostly not talent problems, they were youth problems.  It can't be said enough times that Buffalo has 5 rookies getting plenty of playing time on defense.  It seems to have become just another statement around here, but it really is crazy when you think about it.  But that doesn't stop them from playing their butts off and giving it their all.  It may make me a homer, but I truly believe this team is headed in exactly the right direction.

784959[/snapback]

Excellent analysis, I agree with all your points and feel the same about watching them. I think this will be the case this year, an emotional roller coaster, as long as they show improvement as the year progresses.

One thing you guys are either forgetting or aren't aware of about punting in these conditions - Not only does the wind effect the ball in the air during the punt, it also makes it more difficult on the drop, consequently you're gonna be far less accurate pinning them inside the 10 when punting from the 35.

WRT the fake, it's quite possible that the wind impacted the shovel pass, too.

Good call IMO. W/ the swirling wind, even w/ it basically at your back, a 53 yder is a low %age kick; as per above, you can't expect much of a positive play by punting.

Had the pass been better, it looks like it would've been a good play.

The fake was cr*p call. You mean to tell me that you have better odds of picking up 3 yards running a Mularkey special than you do with your offense? Even if you're afraid to throw the ball there, it's better to roll the dice with the run, particularly inasmuch as Willis averaged 5-ish yards a carry today.

Same thing goes for the Mularkey-esque call on the goal line. Two downs to pick up five feet and we run that bogus boot and lose 8 yards. Unbelievable.

I really like the new coaching staff; there's a sense of maturity, accountability and reason around here for the first time in years. That staff, though, did not have a great game today.

The fake was cr*p call.  You mean to tell me that you have better odds of picking up 3 yards running a Mularkey special than you do with your offense?  Even if you're afraid to throw the ball there, it's better to roll the dice with the run, particularly inasmuch as Willis averaged 5-ish yards a carry today.

Same thing goes for the Mularkey-esque call on the goal line.  Two downs to pick up five feet and we run that bogus boot and lose 8 yards.  Unbelievable.

I really like the new coaching staff; there's a sense of maturity, accountability and reason around here for the first time in years.  That staff, though, did not have a great game today.

785087[/snapback]

All good and great teams use trick plays at certain times, including surely the last severeal SB winners. The successful teams have pretty good success with them. The unsuccessful teams mess them up.

4. One of the most important things....THEY DIDN'T QUIT.  Hell, I know I did.  When the Jets scored that last TD, I thought that was it.  So did half the stadium apparently (way to go guys...you know who you are), but luckily the team kept trying.  JP made great throws against the prevent defense (expected, but nice to see expected things actually happen), and ran for a TD when it was most needed.  Bobby April once again showed why he is so important to this team, and the youngsters showed will give it there all no matter what's going on.

784959[/snapback]

Damn right! It's great to see that this team has heart. I think that as the season progresses, you will see a better buffalo bills team.

I disagree.  There were basically four options at the time:

1) FG try.

2) Go for it.

3) Punt

4) Fake FG or punt.

Given the field position (Jets 35), down-and-distance (4th and 3), and conditions (in a word, sh-------), a FG try was very iffy, and you'd be giving the Jets 7 extra yards if you miss.  A punt...probably ends up a touchback, at the 20, and you gain a whole 15 yards.  So you go for it, either straight up or with some chicanery.  Three yards is a bit dicey for a straight-up run up the middle or even a short pass; it's a matter of opinion, but mine personally is: try the trick play.

And as trick plays go, the fake FG was pretty well designed, with Moorman actually bringing the ball down before pitching it to Peters.  The real problem was, it was an ugly-ass shovel pass and Peters didn't catch it.   :lol:  I've seen better trick plays, certainly, but that was no Mickey Mouse fake end-around bull sh-- reverse !@#$tard halfback option screen pass.

784970[/snapback]

Yeah, after seeing the replay it looks like Peters has the entire left side of the field available to run to if Moorman gets the ball to him.

Anthony Thomas has been surprisingly ineffective subbing for Willis McGahee.  That could be a big reason he's not getting a lot of carries.  He looked great in pre-season agaist the JV squad, but against the big boys, he looks slow.

PTR

785114[/snapback]

I disagree completely. What about Thomas' TD against the Pats? He also got a couple first downs against the Dolphins, and not on just short yardage.

I'm not saying Thomas should carry the ball 15 times, but 7 or 8 would be a good idea.

Bringing him in on goal line plays would be a good idea too.

Same thing goes for the Mularkey-esque call on the goal line.  Two downs to pick up five feet and we run that bogus boot and lose 8 yards.  Unbelievable.

785087[/snapback]

Peyton scored for the Colts on nearly the exact play.

First we want Losman to be more mobile, then we want him to throw more, then we want him to hand it off to Willis, no Willis sucks - give it to AT, pound it out, but don't be predictable, JP needs to throw it away, JP needs to make plays, yada yada yada.... when does it all end?

Great post Faustus! I agree a lot with what you had to say.

1. The FG - they tried it at the most appropriate time and condition. As CTM said, punting would have been worthless, and if its go for it or try a fake, why not fake it. At the very least, it makes other teams think we MAY do it in the future. Yah it failed, but thats why when fakes work they look awesome; theres such a big chance of not succeeding, and it takes balls to call them.

2. I agree on the mistakes too. The mistakes of Willis, JP, and the Defense cost the game. But, i too see them as mistakes of inexperience, not of stupidity. JP will learn to feel the rush. Willis needs to learn to block better. , etc.

I too am excited in the direction we're going. Sure we lost, but i'd be lying if i said this wasnt what i expected. I figured the bills would play good some weeks, and make you want to rip your hair out in others. They are making mistakes of inexperience, but ya know what, they are making good plays as well. I'm really looking forward to this team growing together and getting better. Unlike the past few years, this team has a definite direction and i am happy.

Basically it ends when every play works just as it was designed. Every. Single. Play.

785209[/snapback]

Nah, it ends when the Bills win consistently. When you lose you leave yourself open to a lot of criticism.

Nah, it ends when the Bills win consistently.  When you lose you lose yourself open to a lot of criticism.

785230[/snapback]

Maybe so, but I would have loved to have been able to read The Stadium Wall during the early 90s, just to see what people would have bitched about during that era. You know the bitching would have taken place.

4. Defensive adjustments.  There were none.  We got picked apart by Pennington and didn't seem to change strategy.  Once it was clear that our 4 down linemen weren't getting any pressure, the blitzes should have started.  Again, I understand the coaches thinking here.  It's hard to blitz Pennington because he is composed in the face of rushes and throws accurate short passes.  But you know what?  So does Brady, and the blitzes flustered him into making mistakes.  No matter how good the QB is, if you sit back and give him time he will complete his passes, no matter how many guys you leave back in coverage.  There are always holes.  When somethings not working, you have to try other things, and I didn't see that today. 

784959[/snapback]

Top post Faustus...well worth your effort.

I disagree with your point 4 here. A lot have been mentioning how Penny picked us apart & how we didn't adjust etc, etc. I don't think that was what actually happened.

I'll summarize the Jets offense....

5 yards Punt, 1 yard Punt, 6 yards Punt.....Everything smooth so far.

74 yards TD.....WOW alarm!

4 yards Punt.....Back to normal?

67 yards TD......OK adjustments now need to be made at the half!

After halftime

19 yards Punt, 12 yards Punt, 4 yards punt....Looks like adjustments were well made.

The last drive was a 58 yard TD drive but to me it felt like our D had already gone home having lost heart at the way the O not only squandered opportunity after opportunity but also turned the ball over giving them points.

Most of the game(7 out of the first 9 drives) our D was all over their O.

Dibs  Today, 10:13 PM Post #21 

Most Holy

Group: Members

Member No.: 7,345

QUOTE(Faustus @ Sep 25 2006, 09:04 AM)

4. Defensive adjustments.  There were none.  We got picked apart by Pennington and didn't seem to change strategy.  Once it was clear that our 4 down linemen weren't getting any pressure, the blitzes should have started.  Again, I understand the coaches thinking here.  It's hard to blitz Pennington because he is composed in the face of rushes and throws accurate short passes.  But you know what?  So does Brady, and the blitzes flustered him into making mistakes.  No matter how good the QB is, if you sit back and give him time he will complete his passes, no matter how many guys you leave back in coverage.  There are always holes.  When somethings not working, you have to try other things, and I didn't see that today. 

Top post Faustus...well worth your effort.

I disagree with your point 4 here. A lot have been mentioning how Penny picked us apart & how we didn't adjust etc, etc. I don't think that was what actually happened.

I'll summarize the Jets offense....

5 yards Punt, 1 yard Punt, 6 yards Punt.....Everything smooth so far.

74 yards TD.....WOW alarm!

4 yards Punt.....Back to normal?

67 yards TD......OK adjustments now need to be made at the half!

After halftime

19 yards Punt, 12 yards Punt, 4 yards punt....Looks like adjustments were well made.

The last drive was a 58 yard TD drive but to me it felt like our D had already gone home having lost heart at the way the O not only squandered opportunity after opportunity but also turned the ball over giving them points.

Most of the game(7 out of the first 9 drives) our D was all over their O.

Dibs you make a good point about the defense today.

However the glaring statistic today was:

Bills Defense 0 Turnovers

Jets Defense 3 Turnovers

That was a big difference today.

Also the Bills offense only got 1 touchdown in the red zone, and 2 FG's in the red zone. That has to change if the Bills are going to win.

Dibs you make a good point about the defense today.

However the glaring statistic today was:

Bills Defense 0 Turnovers

Jets Defense 3 Turnovers

That was a big difference today.

Also the Bills offense only got 1 touchdown in the red zone, and 2 FG's in the red zone. That has to change if the Bills are going to win.

785358[/snapback]

This is the key. When you aren't putting any pressure on the QB, they will eventually score. It's that simple. The defense had plenty of solid drives, but rarely got close to Pennington. You just can't let a QB get THAT comfortable, especially on your own damn field.