We lost today....why dont I feel

because despite what happened to day our team played pretty darn well.....

- Losman has made a leaps and bounds improvement

- Our line did give time for pass protection

- For once I was not happy to see our backup RB on the field today

- We got pressure.....should have had more

Look out Miami.....here we come

If the Bill's got as down after a game as we did we would deserve a poor record, but we have a lot of things to work on, but we also have even more players and things to be proud of. People were calling this a blowout for New England and we played better DESPITE the penalties and run D. If we play like that everygame we are going to silence a lot of critics.

768149[/snapback]

I agree, Losman has made leaps and bounds improvement. Last year in a key road divisional game, Losman followed up a great first half by blowing a 21 point lead. This year, Losman followed up a solid first half by only blowing a 10 point lead.

Losman did not seem to have command of this offense. All too often, it seemed that we were rushing the snap count due to a low play clock, or botching the handoff - witness the 4th down play.

Besides being completely shut down in the second half, Losman twice inexcusably made himself vulnerable in our own endzone, leading to the game-winning safety.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel absolutely sick and disgusted. We were in control of the Patriots in Foxboro, and we should have won this game. Once again, Losman did not show the mental acuity to win the big game....

JDG

I agree, Losman has made leaps and bounds improvement.    Last year in a key road divisional game, Losman followed up a great first half by blowing a 21 point lead.  This year, Losman followed up a solid first half by only blowing a 10 point lead.

Losman did not seem to have command of this offense.  All too often, it seemed that we were rushing the snap count due to a low play clock, or botching the handoff - witness the 4th down play. 

Besides being completely shut down in the second half, Losman twice inexcusably made himself vulnerable in our own endzone, leading to the game-winning safety. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel absolutely sick and disgusted.  We were in control of the Patriots in Foxboro, and we should have won this game.  Once again, Losman did not show the mental acuity to win the big game....

JDG

768180[/snapback]

Wait, I was too hasty on my idiot of the year handout.

NUMEROUS times in this game, Losman stood in and delivered where last year he wouldn've crumpled in a heap. You're so myopic in your hatred for the kid that you fail to see what he did RIGHT.

Asshat.

768149[/snapback]

Although there were a lot of positives that you could take out of this game, I am not happy at all.

The Bills had this game won and they let it slip away.....again. Because of this, I can't be too happy right now. A lot of poeple look at this game in a positive way, but this was a game we should have won. BOTTOM LINE.

I just hope that this game does not come back to haunt us down the road.

Wait, I was too hasty on my idiot of the year handout.

NUMEROUS times in this game, Losman stood in and delivered where last year he wouldn've crumpled in a heap. You're so myopic in your hatred for the kid that you fail to see what he did RIGHT.

Asshat.

768197[/snapback]

Some people will "see" anything, just to prove to themselves that they were right all along.

If Losman was playing run defense in the 2nd half, or if he was the one throwing illegal blocks*, then you can blame him. Personally, I thought he had a very good game, considering the Bills barely aired it out today. How many long pass plays were called?

* Illegal Blocks -- Even if they are marginal calls, an experienced/good team won't give the officials a reason to even think about throwing that flag.

768197[/snapback]

He delivered what, 10 total offensive points? Zero in the second half? And how about the way he basically gave the game away by running *sideways* in the endzone, rather than forward enough to at least avoid the safety? You could say it is just one bad play, but the play before he held onto the ball way too long in the endzone, and barely avoided the safety by chucking the ball into tight coverage where it could easily have been returned for a TD. On the most critical drive of the game, Losman basically imploded in the shadow of our own endzone.

Losman had a few good moments, to be sure - but he failed to put together a complete game, and ultimately that cost us.

And finally, you have me pegged completely wrong. I don't "hate the kid." I hate losing. I only dislike Losman to the extent that he somehow seems to keep associating himself with losing around here....

JDG

I agree, Losman has made leaps and bounds improvement.    Last year in a key road divisional game, Losman followed up a great first half by blowing a 21 point lead.  This year, Losman followed up a solid first half by only blowing a 10 point lead.

Losman did not seem to have command of this offense.  All too often, it seemed that we were rushing the snap count due to a low play clock, or botching the handoff - witness the 4th down play. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel absolutely sick and disgusted.  We were in control of the Patriots in Foxboro, and we should have won this game.  Once again, Losman did not show the mental acuity to win the big game....

JDG

768180[/snapback]

I know, i cant believe losman didnt knock down the pass to chambers at the end of the miami game last year. Did you see him today? He got burned by faulk on the TD, and they he couldnt tackel dillon on 4th down. Damn JP!

I'll second JSP. You're being as big an asshat as holcombs arm.

I know, i cant believe losman didnt knock down the pass to chambers at the end of the miami game last year. Did you see him today? He got burned by faulk on the TD, and they he couldnt tackel dillon on 4th down. Damn JP!

I'll second JSP. You're being as big an asshat as holcombs arm.

768998[/snapback]

O.k., so what you are saying is that until everyone else on the team plays mistake-free football, we shouldn't be pointing out any of JP Losman's flaws or mistakes......?

JDG

768180[/snapback]

Losman attempted exactly three passes after the first drive of the second half. How exactly are you blaming him for blowing a lead? The coaching staff resorted to run-run-pass on two of the last three series. They shut down the offense and Losman only had ONE attempt that wasn't on third and long. But yeah, he is somehow to blame. Not many QBs could succeed doing that. The coaching staff did a great job of mixing up the playcalling in the first half and then went into ultra conservative mode after the missed 4th and 1 play.

And you're really going to blame Losman for the safety? He dropped back, planted his foot and was hit from behind. Yeah, that's his fault. The guy completed 65% of his passes for 7.1 ypa. He wasn't perfect when it came to running the offense but you know what, he's not expected to be. Young QBs make the mistakes you listed because their head is swimming with all kinds of other info. Once he becomes more confortable with the system these types of mistakes will become fewer and fewer.

He looked way more composed than I have ever seen him. Its one game and I saw significant improvement over the last season. Bills were one break and 2 BS calls by the refs from winning that game. Cant wait to see if they can knock off the Dolphins next week. Hopefully, JP will continue to develope.

And how about the way he basically gave the game away by running *sideways* in the endzone, rather than forward enough to at least avoid the safety?   

768996[/snapback]

John as you may or may not know, I have been more critical of JP than most, but I do not consider your quotes above to be fair.

Let me admit that I cannot remember the firsr play that you mention, but on the safety, both Peters and Gandy were soundly beaten. They both had some decent plays on the day, but came up short at crunch time.

I saw the replay twice (it is on nfl.com) and while I concede that JP had a very slight chance of stepping up, one must take into account the immediate pressure he was faced witth from the left side, causing him to move right, and there was no protection there either.

I am NOT being critical of your entire post. The kid does need work on clock management, and throwing with more finesse. For the very first time, I feel kinda good about him being able to do so.

The safety? It was the Bills OL getting crushed yet again. Watch the replay. <_<

You mean it wasn't the QB, it was the OL?!  That's the first time I've ever heard that our OL has been a problem!  How long has this been going on?  <_<

769102[/snapback]

The weird part was that they actually DID have some good plays.

The left side opened a truck sized hole for Thomas on the TD run, and on MaGahee's run, Peters stopped Seymour (who had a head of steam) right in his friggin tracks; not something easy to do.

I thought CV played well, but he must share the blame for the safety as well. There was a complete brekdown there.

Exactly. He's a bit more than midway through his rookie season in term of starts, but he's only had 1 !@#$ing start with this staff and this system. Give the guy a chance, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer got more than 9 starts before they were labeled "winners" or "losers".

769034[/snapback]

They played a lot better than Losman in their 9 starts, and didn't get benched for poor performance.

Losman's a third year player. I refuse to set his benchmark as the performance that would be expected of a rookie in Week 10 of an NFL season.

JDG

They played a lot better than Losman in their 9 starts, and didn't get benched for poor performance.

Losman's a third year player.  I refuse to set his benchmark as the performance that would be expected of a rookie in Week 10 of an NFL season.

JDG

769120[/snapback]

Ah, yes, nothing like ingrained agendas.

Losman's a second-year starter, with one year coming under the worst HC the NFL has seen since the Kotite era.

Losman's a third year player.  I refuse to set his benchmark as the performance that would be expected of a rookie in Week 10 of an NFL season.

JDG

769120[/snapback]

Even Jimbo needed time. Anyone, remember 4-12 ('86) and ('87) 7-8? That was just less than two seasons (scabs for three games in '87) and he also had the USFL to develop prior to that. And even when he carved out a Hall of Fame career there were still moments where he buckled under pressure (i.e. the third Super Bowl).

JDG

768180[/snapback]

Hmmmmm, Simms lauded Brady for quick snap counts. Didn't give the Bills D a chance to dig in on that play...caught them off guard with the quick count... But when yer right, yer right. Could the "problem" also be blamed on coaching? Is it possible that the plays were late getting to JP? Could the substitutions have been a little slow getting on the field? Nope, JP sucks. Play Nall. Play Holcomb. Play anyone but JP. <_<

He did have trouble handling the ball yesterday and I hope it is something that doesn't happen again. Course he did snatch one shotgun snap that sailed over his head, roll out and throw a pretty 20 yard out to Reed (who made an excellent catch at the sidelines).

I saw far more good than bad yesterday. I saw a QB who for the most part made the correct decisions. I hate the loss, but I can live with the QB play.

Losman's a second-year starter, with one year coming under the worst HC the NFL has seen since the Kotite era.

769145[/snapback]

That reads funny, but it isn't true.

Kotite led an Eagle team which was literally chock full of talent on both sides, and took them to a miserable 8-8 record. MM took a so-so team to 9-7 as a rookie.

When the Eagles fired him, Eagle Fans rejoiced. The late Mr. Hess actually cut his vacation short, flew to NY, and gave Kotite full control of the jests, including the draft. <_<

In the 96 draft, look at some of the names he passed up to select Keyshawn. Then, he went after yet another wr with the 1st pick of round 2. :D Kotite was said to not have a great football mind, accompanied by a complete lack of any kind of system/program.

In short, he brought absolutely nothing to the table. IIRC, after the jests canned him, he never got another job at any level in the NFL.

I once talked to a jest employee, who stated that Kotite wrote down the birthdays, etc. of all of the children and grand children of Mr. Hess, and would send them cards, etc. He said that he got the job by kissing a$$. I cannot of course verify this, but the guy was quite serious.

MM was over his head, but he was also hamstrung by an ego-driven control freak GM, and WAS able to land a good job after Buffalo.

I am by no means trying to sell you on MM, but he was absolutely not as bad as Kotite, who was once in a lifetime bad. :lol:

JDG

769120[/snapback]

Ahh, yes. you are referring to palmer's first 9 starts where he tossed 7 TD's to 12 INT's, and had a passer rating in the 60's. The team also started 2-5 that year.

But a funny thing happened. They let him start and develop. They didnt pull the plug on him becuse of a few disgruntled vets who couldnt be controlled, ala meathead. Then he got better.

Also, please explain he JP lost he game yesterday? It must have been because of all the interceptions he threw...oh wait, he didnt.

Then it must have been his fault for not completing 50% of his passes. Oh wait, he completed roughly 65%.

Try this strategy when watching JP next game. Stand with your legs spread. Reach down between your legs. Grip your neck and give a tug. This should successfully remove your head from your ass and give you a much better vantage point.

Ahh, yes. you are referring to palmer's first 9 starts where he tossed 7 TD's to 12 INT's, and had a passer rating in the 60's. The team also started 2-5 that year.

But a funny thing happened. They let him start and develop. They didnt pull the plug on him becuse of a few disgruntled vets who couldnt be controlled, ala meathead. Then he got better.

Also, please explain he JP lost he game yesterday? It must have been because of all the interceptions he threw...oh wait, he didnt.

Then it must have been his fault for not completing 50% of his passes. Oh wait, he completed roughly 65%.

Try this strategy when watching JP next game. Stand with your legs spread. Reach down between your legs. Grip your neck and give a tug. This should successfully remove your head from your ass and give you a much better vantage point.

769238[/snapback]

<_<:D:lol:

Hmmmmm, Simms lauded Brady for quick snap counts.  Didn't give the Bills D a chance to dig in on that play...caught them off guard with the quick count...  But when yer right, yer right. 

I personally see a big difference between a practiced, designed, and well-executed quick-count and a spot-quick-count because the play clock is winding down, and results in the offense appearing to not run smoothly and on time - particularly on the most critical play of the game!

Could the "problem" also be blamed on coaching?  Is it possible that the plays were late getting to JP?  Could the substitutions have been a little slow getting on the field?  Nope, JP sucks.  Play Nall.  Play Holcomb.  Play anyone but JP. <_< 

Perhaps it wasn't JP's fault, but given the frequency with which it occurred, I think that QB error is the most likely explanation. Jauron isn't exactly a rookie Head Coach. He might screw that up once, but not multiple times in a game.

Unfortunately, the scary thing for the Bills is that based on all evidence, JP Losman currently gives us the best chance to win. It just doesn't mean that that's a very good chance. We *need* JP to get better, a *lot* better.

I saw far more good than bad yesterday.  I saw a QB who for the most part made the correct decisions.  I hate the loss, but I can live with the QB play.

769154[/snapback]

I saw 10 points scored, none in the second half; only 265 yards of total offense; a fumble; and terrible decision-making on consecutive plays in the shadow of his own goal posts, resulting in the game-deciding safety.

I'm not sure how this adds up to "*far more* good than bad". About the best I can say for it is that it was at least better than many of his games last year.

JDG

That reads funny, but it isn't true.

Kotite led an Eagle team which was literally chock full of talent on both sides, and took them to a miserable 8-8 record. MM took a so-so team to 9-7 as a rookie.

When the Eagles fired him, Eagle Fans rejoiced. The late Mr. Hess actually cut his vacation short, flew to NY, and gave Kotite full control of the jests, including the draft.  <_< 

In the 96 draft, look at some of the names he passed up to select Keyshawn. Then, he went after yet another wr with the 1st pick of round 2.  :D  Kotite was said to not have a great football mind, accompanied by a complete lack of any kind of system/program.

In short, he brought absolutely nothing to the table. IIRC, after the jests canned him, he never got another job at any level in the NFL.

MM was over his head, but he was also hamstrung by an ego-driven control freak GM, and WAS able to land a good job after Buffalo.

I am by no means trying to sell you on MM, but he was absolutely not as bad as Kotite, who was once in a lifetime bad.  :lol:

769192[/snapback]

Mike Mularkey produced two of the most embarassing losses in Bills history. He was a laughingstock. Whether Kotite or Mularkey was the worse coach is simply a philosophical question. They were both miserable...

And Keyshawn wasn't that bad a pick. Keyshawn is still starting all these years later, and the Jets got two first rounders when they traded him away.

JDG

My biggest problem with yesterday was yet again the play calling. We went turtle mode in the 2nd half. We had a nice ko return after a New England score we were around the 40 and what did we do? run run throw punt. It was the worst sequence of plays I've seen since last year @ Miami. New England KNEW we were going to sit on the ball and we did. That was a PERFECT opportunity to flash some play action and take a shot deep and show some of that "chunkability" we've heard so much about. We waited to throw until we HAD to throw and that's a recipie for disaster.

For me this game wasn't much different than last year, we did a few things right, a lot of things wrong, and screwed up in the clutch.

He delivered what, 10 total offensive points?  Zero in the second half?      And how about the way he basically gave the game away by running *sideways* in the endzone, rather than forward enough to at least avoid the safety?    You could say it is just one bad play, but the play before he held onto the ball way too long in the endzone, and barely avoided the safety by chucking the ball into tight coverage where it could easily have been returned for a TD.    On the most critical drive of the game, Losman basically imploded in the shadow of our own endzone.

Losman had a few good moments, to be sure - but he failed to put together a complete game, and ultimately that cost us.

And finally, you have me pegged completely wrong.  I don't "hate the kid."  I hate losing.  I only dislike Losman to the extent that he somehow seems to keep associating himself with losing around here....

JDG

768996[/snapback]

The entire offense helped lose the game. Especially on the safety. JP had no where to run forward because the Pats D had our O line on it's heels. You can't place all of the blame for losing on the QB. If you look at the first half stats Brady's O only gained 3 net yds. If you look at the QB stats JP out played Brady.

Some of the folks that like to associate losses with Lossman need to find another scapegoat. He is atleast trying. The safety was the direct result of our QB having the faith in himself and the rest of his offense to make a play. They tried and they failed thats the NFL.

It kind of says it all that the above performance line was still better than Losman's doesn't it.....

Let's remember that JP Losman played *more* as a rookie than Carson Palmer did. Now, let's compare Losman's first nine vs. Palmer's first nine:

Losman: 49.6% completion

Palmer: 56.9% completion

Losman: 1340 yards passing

Palmer: 1897 yards passing

Losman: 2 wins - 7 losses (counting KC)

Palmer: 4 wins - 5 losses

Losman: 3 games with a rating below 35.0

Palmer: Only 1 game with a rating below 50 (43.4 vs. Baltimore)

Losman: 4 games with sub-50% completion percentage

Palmer: 1 game with sub-50% completion (48.1% vs. Baltimore, which was better than all four of Losman's games)

Carson Palmer, however, was also not stinking up the joint with sub-NFL-caliber QB performances. Palmer was allowed to develop because he was at least showing a minimum standard of competence that Losman was lacking last season.

Let's consider how Losman was playing when he was benched:

39% completion for 113 yards at Tampa

43.5% completion for **75 YARDS** 0 TD and 1 INT at home vs. Atlanta

46.7% completion for **75 YARDS** 0 TD and 1 INT @ San Antonio vs. a Saints team that had one of the worst defenses in the League, and had just given up 50+ points to a woeful Packers team.

The guy passed for 150 yards COMBINED in two full weeks. Mike Mularkey was a horrible coach, but he should have been fired on the spot if he didn't bench Losman under those circumstances after three performances like that. Losman, at that point, simply looked like he didn't belong in the CFL, let alone the NFL.

769238[/snapback]

We lost by 2 points. I'll let you figure out how exactly NE scored those two points. Those two points are even uglier when one considers Losman's performance on the play before, when he very nearly scored for NE on that play, either by taking a safety while dancing in the end zone, or by the ill-advised pass he threw that could easily have been returned for a TD. You would have thought that Losman would have been more careful the second time around.

JDG

768149[/snapback]

We lost, same old story I remember the team playing hard and coming close for Gregggggg Williams and Mike Mularkey a number of times. Bottom line is we lost. JP looked pretty good that is the one thing to take out of this but a loss is a loss and I for one am sick of watching the Bills lose. The only reason I'm not depressed is that I came in expecting them to lose.

Because if there were one thing I have learned in all my years of watching sports, it is exactly nine starts into a career on different teams that proves who was better and will be better over a 10 or so year career.

769386[/snapback]

Who knows?

But some people act like it was a crime against humanity for Mularkey to have benched Losman after four games. On the contrary, it would have been football malpractice for Mularkey to leave Losman in there....

JDG

O.k., so what you are saying is that until everyone else on the team plays mistake-free football, we shouldn't be pointing out any of JP Losman's flaws or mistakes......?

769005[/snapback]

No, point out flaws and mistakes. The team is doing it themselves, and every team should, and their fans should. But don't lose sight of the good things, because without them you cannot build a good football team.

JP did not do a great job on the safety. I don't remember a QB having doing a good job on a safety. He was inches from falling forward and not getting sacked, but didn't see the second defender in time, and was trying to make a play (and could have had he escaped given the matchups he had on each side). But say he falls forward another foot. Moorman with no space punts to about the 38 yard line returned to about the 30 and they are already in field goal range. We lose 20-17 instead of 19-17. If he throws it away they call grounding and it is still a safety. He tried to make a play, and it didn't work out.

I am very happy he is our QB, and I look forward to us building a strong team around him. I can't believe Holcomb was actually in the running. The players we have now have to get better through experience (five rookies on the field at one time on D?), the players have to learn the new system, and we have to continue to get better players in here (O-Line, etc.), but this team has a great future if they keep putting things together. Beating NE week 1 would have helped get there sooner, but it didn't happen, so let's get ready for Miami.

And please, don't kick puppies.