Beer Snobs (you know who you are)

stevestojan

Yes.  Witbiers are perfect for quenching thirst, as are Saisons like KRC mentioned.  Hefeweizens or a good pilsner, not the bastardized American / Canadian versions would also be good choices. 

As far as the green bottle skunking theory that is not a myth, green and clear bottles allow the wavelength of light to pass through them that initializes the chemical reaction that leads to skunking.

711148[/snapback]

Wits and Hefes are good. You might be able to get away with an alt, but it starts to border on being too heavy depending on how it is brewed. I had a couple bottles of a Dusseldorf alt last night and I probably would not drink it on a hot day. My Northern German alt, however, is very light and refreshing (1.004 FG). The FG puts me slightly out of style, but it is hidden. Very refreshing.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for the Beer Snobs..lets say you have just finished playing hockey or Softball on a Hot summer day...do you still crack open one of your micro brews? To me nothing beats an ice cold Labatts Blue Light afterwards...Cold, light, and refreshing...just curious....

711124[/snapback]

Blue Light

Canadian Light

Sam Summer

all great hot day beers

I'm with ya, I cannot think of one beer i like that comes in a green bottle

711111[/snapback]

Every so often after redeeming my cans at the packy I grab a 12 of St. Pauli Girl.

Probably not the best beer anyone's ever had, but I can hack it.

beer is now on the back shelf , drink wine much better for you .i do still like to have a beer now and then . i find i like the belgian beer . tiss now in saratoga has them on tap . very good :huh:

Oh that's good stuff. It'll kick your booty, too.

Almost unbelievably, we have some really good quality microbreweries out here in Utah.

711077[/snapback]

In my experience, every state has someone who understands beer - Taxechewsettes' example obviously ain't Coli. Those pole smokers on "Brokeback Mountain" probably worked really hard and drank sh------- beer too. They still have dick breath.

Wits and Hefes are good. You might be able to get away with an alt, but it starts to border on being too heavy depending on how it is brewed. I had a couple bottles of a Dusseldorf alt last night and I probably would not drink it on a hot day. My Northern German alt, however, is very light and refreshing (1.004 FG). The FG puts me slightly out of style, but it is hidden. Very refreshing.

711159[/snapback]

Altbier is one of my favorite styles to brew, mainly since it's a style that's rarely made by US microbreweries. I'm not sure why more craft brewers don't try to offer this style, I think it would be a good one to reach out to the masses.

I poured my first pint last night of an imperial pilsner I had been lagering since December. It's 8% abv, 71 IBU's using all vanguard hops. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, if you have ever tried Rogue's Imperial Pils it's quite similar to that.

Altbier is one of my favorite styles to brew, mainly since it's a style that's rarely made by US microbreweries.  I'm not sure why more craft brewers don't try to offer this style, I think it would be a good one to reach out to the masses.

I poured my first pint last night of an imperial pilsner I had been lagering since December.  It's 8% abv, 71 IBU's using all vanguard hops.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, if you have ever tried Rogue's Imperial Pils it's quite similar to that.

711592[/snapback]

Another post like that and KRC will be proposing to you. :w00t:

I've forgotten how retarded NYS is on such things.  Hence the reason I rarely go back.  Once I got refused at a store because my ID was from out of state, as if NY is it's own country or something.  I wonder why tourism is down?  :w00t:

710832[/snapback]

Ha! You should try living in PA.

Beer snob here.  The Sam Adams White ale is a Belgian Witbier, there are many better examples of this style in my opinion than the Sam Adams version.  Here is a list, the Hoegaarden should be easy to find but my favorite is Blanche De Chambly and Allagash White. 

Witbiers

The Chimay that AD mentioned as well as the beers mentioned above can be found at Premier Gourmet

And forget the Blue Moon, it's made by Coors.

710865[/snapback]

Blanche De Chambly is my favorite in this category. I appreciate being called a snob. It seperates me from the thundering herd.

That's where Corona comes into play. Some of my fellow beer snob brethren will say that this qualifies as significant demerits toward beer snobbery classification, but I have no problem downing some Coronas in situations like you describe.

711154[/snapback]

I like a light beer now and then, and Corona and lime is refreshing.

The other day I picked up a 28 pack of Molson Ale (tall bottles) for $15 and then gave the receipts to Mrs Rock so she could dick around with the additonal $4 rebate. :lol:

I like sampling all kinds of beer and there are few I do not like. Some of the Saranac flavored ales come to mind. CHOCOLATE BEER? 0:)

• 4 weeks later...
Been saying that for years.  No one should be ashamed of the beer they drink. 

What do you think the guy that just put in a mile of fence posts is gonna reach for when he's toasting a hard day's work?  He's not reaching for a Chimay, I'll tell you that. 

What's the guy that just replaced an engine block going to reach for after he wipes the grease off his hands?  He's not reaching for a freaking Peroni. 

And what of the gravedigger?  You think he's going to drink some fancy european beer after putting corpses in the ground on a rainy Saturday afternoon?  Hell no.

These men aren't ashamed to drink an ice cold beer from a can that they didn't pay a King's ransom for.  These men aren't going to traipse on over to the liquor store and shell out their sweat-soaked dollar bills for designer suds that won an obscure award at some hippy festival.  And you shouldn't feel like you have to, either. 

If Pabst Blue Ribbon is good enough for a guy that digs graves for a living, it's sure as good enough for the guy that works in a cubicle.

710950[/snapback]

While searching for something else just now on TSW, I came across this post. Stuff like this will hold me over until you start up the American Idol reviews next year.

Funny sh--! :doh::D

For my Fantasy draft next week I am packing- Heinekens, Newcastle, Hoegarden, Pacifico and Harp plus Champagne cocktails and Makers plus stocked bar. Man I love beer....man I love wine......man I love booze.....