Beer Snobs (you know who you are)

stevestojan

I've forgotten how retarded NYS is on such things.  Hence the reason I rarely go back.  Once I got refused at a store because my ID was from out of state, as if NY is it's own country or something.  I wonder why tourism is down?  :doh:

710832[/snapback]

You can at least buy beer in grocery stores, so it's not as retarded as PA.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I kind of like the taste of a fresh squeezed lime added to certain beers. Subtle taste of lime on the bottle rim and fresh pulp. You can't get the same effect if it is added earlier. This is especially refreshing on a hot summer day by the pool.

I agree that a good beer is good on it's own.

Ever try Old Scratch? link

726597[/snapback]

Nope. Never had Old Scratch. I have seen their stuff at Premier in Buffalo, but have never picked up a bottle. The next time I am in Buffalo, I will pick up a few from this brewery.

Never had one in the short time I was in France.

726599[/snapback]

so you know what to order next time you're in Paris a hot sunny day! "Un demi citron s'il vous plait!"

Don't ask for a panaché if its not a classy café, they could serve you a factory-made one that are made with cheap beer and too sweet lemonade.

And if you want to try a more original treat go for a Monaco! (made at the bar Panaché with Grenadine syrup)

Nope. Never had Old Scratch. I have seen their stuff at Premier in Buffalo, but have never picked up a bottle. The next time I am in Buffalo, I will pick up a few from this brewery.

726601[/snapback]

I saw a commercial recently about a home brew contest. A brewer (Sam Adams?) will choose the best entry and then produce the beer for one year. You thought of entering?

I saw a commercial recently about a home brew contest.  A brewer (Sam Adams?) will choose the best entry and then produce the beer for one year.  You thought of entering?

726611[/snapback]

Yeah. I will be sending my Ginseng Tea Ale. I have an Amber Ale that I will be bottling this weekend. I might send that, as well.

Basically, it is a cheap way for Jim Koch to get recipies. If you win, you sign over the rights to your recipe. You get $5K in compensation for your recipe, along with having the beer produced by Boston Brewing.

Yeah. I will be sending my Ginseng Tea Ale. I have an Amber Ale that I will be bottling this weekend. I might send that, as well.

Basically, it is a cheap way for Jim Koch to get recipies. If you win, you sign over the rights to your recipe. You get $5K in compensation for your recipe, along with having the beer produced by Boston Brewing.

726616[/snapback]

Not to mention the praise and adoration of all who know you. Glad you are sending in at least one entry.

Who keeps bringing up peronis. That beer is barely okay and it give me major gas.

Get some real beer, Darin and kens suggestions are great. If you can get some Great Lakes Brewery beer in WNY, which I think you can, then Ella Fitzgerald, Dortmeunder Gold, etc....

Also, for a semi-mass brew by Coors try Blue Moon.

726616[/snapback]

That's terrific. Good luck. Keep us posted. I'm especially interested in how that amber comes out.

Question for the Beer Snobs..lets say you have just finished playing hockey or Softball on a Hot summer day...do you still crack open one of your micro brews? To me nothing beats an ice cold Labatts Blue Light afterwards...Cold, light, and refreshing...just curious....

711124[/snapback]

AMEN BROTHER!!!!

My softball team is sponsored by the Anheuser-Busch distributor and I get yelled at all the time for having Blue Light Bottles after the games. So now I grab an Ultra bottle and poor in my Blue Lights so I don't get abused anymore!

I LOVE a cold Blue Light Bottle or twelve!

That's terrific. Good luck. Keep us posted. I'm especially interested in how that amber comes out.

726642[/snapback]

The amber is the one I took second place in a competition in February. I made a few recipe modifications to try to take first next year.

726616[/snapback]

If you can get a good beer out to the masses, you just might get elected! Nice strategy. :doh:

Chimay Red, White or Blue? I have the recipe for Blue. It would not be difficult to get the one for Red or White, if that is what you prefer.

726595[/snapback]

If you don't mind sharing the recipe for Blue, I'd like to take a crack at it.

Just my opinion, but you need to be careful with adding the lemon. There is a fine line between the right amount and WAY too much.

Personally, I have a rule of not adding anything to my beer after it has been conditioned. If you need to add something to it to make it better, it was not that good to begin with. If lemon/lime should be added, it should have been added during the brewing/fermentation process.

726572[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. I often brew a Hefeweizen for my wife to drink. When I pour her one she has to put her own lemon in it if she wants one.

The !@#$ man.  Pacifico? :doh:

Let's get some good local brews going on here!  Where's the good sh-- no one's heard of?

726540[/snapback]

Local Beers: Atlanta

Sweetwater Brewery

420 Extra Pale Ale: This stuff is the scnizzle. Especially on draft.

Sweet Georgia Brown: I'm not a big fan of brown sugar beers

Blue: Ditto with Blueberry beer.

IPA: Haven't tried.

Exodus Porter: It's decent, haven't had it in a while.

Limited Releases

Festive Ale: Limited holiday release. Places can't keep it in stock. Easily one of the best brews I have ever had.

Summer Hummer: Haven't had it on draft yet. Nice and refreshing out of a bottle.

Double D's: Double fermented Belgian Ale. Nice!!

Happy Ending: Commemerative batch to celebrate Georgia repealing their ridiculous law limiting beer to 6% alcohol. Hope they bring it back, as it was quite tasty.

www.sweetwaterbrew.com/

Terrapin (Athens, GA)

Rye Pale Ale: Same rating as the 420. "This stuff is the scnizzle. Especially on draft."

Cream Ale: Haven't had.

Limited Releases

Rye Squared, Imperial Pale Ale: Have the last two from my local beer store sitting in my fridge. I'm a devoted hophead and this feeds my addiction.

Imperial Pilsner: Had it once. Decent, but wasn't spectacular.

Big Hoppy Monster: Another hophead friendly beer. Listed as an Imperial Red Ale. Can't wait till it returns in the fall.

Wake n' Bake Coffee Oatmeal Stout: Very smooth and complex. Nice for sitting around the fire in winter.

www.terrapinbeer.com

Atlanta Brewing Co.

Red Brick Ale: Used to be one of my favorites. Still like it on draft, but they did something with their ingredients or process and I don't care for it out of the bottle anymore.

They also do a Pale, a Blonde, a Summer Hefeweizen, and a Winter Choco-Oatmeal Porter. Haven't tried any.

www.atlantabrewing.com

I normally drink whatever's American, Cold, and wet. And I will probably never change those ways. But every once in a while, I like to have something different. I go to Coles on Elmwood sometimes and they have all sorts of different beers.

Anyway, one pretty mainstream beer I like is Sam Adams White Ale. My question for you beer snobs is, if I like that, what are some similar types that someone like myself might enjoy? (and where I could get them)

710814[/snapback]

Blue Moon! Belgian recipe (Belgian Whit), made in Colorado, served almost everywhere around Buffalo now. They'll even drop a slice of orange in which makes it especially good. Great for hot summer evenings.

Local Beers: Atlanta

Sweetwater Brewery

420 Extra Pale Ale: This stuff is the scnizzle. Especially on draft.

Blue: Ditto with Blueberry beer.

IPA: Haven't tried.

Sweetwater makes excellent beers. The 420 is a shining example of an american pale ale. My wife likes the Blue but im not a huge fan of fruit beers.

Terrapin (Athens, GA)

Rye Pale Ale: Same rating as the 420. "This stuff is the scnizzle. Especially on draft."

Cream Ale: Haven't had.

Limited Releases

Rye Squared, Imperial Pale Ale: Have the last two from my local beer store, sitting in my fridge. I'm a devoted hophead and this feeds my addiction.

Imperial Pilsner: HAd it once. Decent, but wasn't spectacular

Big Hoppy Monster: Another hophead frindly beer. Listed as an Imperial Red Ale. Can't wait till it returns in the fall.

Wake n' Bake Coffee Oatmeal Stout: Very smooth and complex. Nice for sitting around the fire in winter.

www.terrapinbeer.com

I've had the rye squared and the wake and bake. Both are excellent. I'm actually brewing a big rye plae ale this weekend that was inspired by Terrapin's rye squared.

By Coors.  Check earlier in this thread for much better examples of Belgian Witbiers.

726737[/snapback]

Yeah, noticed after writing. Never said it was the best. It's widely available though, relatively cheap and quite refreshing (regardless of who it's made by). But I guess this thread went the route of the beer snobs. I would say if he's enjoying Sam Adams White Ale, he'll enjoy Blue Moon, and not break the bank doing it.